Pokémon Skarmory

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking for a Skarmory's thread but there wasn't, so i decided to create one.

Skarmory

Steel/Flying
65 HP / 80 Atk / 140 Def / 40 SAtk / 70 SDef / 70 Spe
Abilities: Keen Eye (prevents the Pokémon from losing accuracy)
Sturdy (It cannot be knocked out with one hit)
Hidden Ability: Weak Armor (Physical attacks lower Defense and raise Speed)

Confirmed new (TM) moves:
Roost
Steel Wing
Sleep Talk
Dark Pulse
Confide

Overview:
Skarmory takes flight again to block most of physical hit thrown at it. Steel / Flying is an awesome type combination. It seems like Sturdy will remain as his main ability due to how resistant it makes Skarmory with the help of Roost, which now has became a TM.
With the increase of Fire Type Pokémon in XY, Stealth Rock has got more weight than Spikes. Its really useful against Pokémon such as Talonflame, Delphox, Charizard, etc. But spikes still remains as a viable choice, not a bad one indeed.

Most BW2 OU sets are also still viable, and can be found here.

Physical Wall (I do not claim to have invented this set)
Skarmory, Impish Nature, 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 SDef @ Leftovers / Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
Stealth Rock / Spikes
Roost
Whirlwind
Brave Bird / Taunt

This looks most likely a standard set for Skarmory. The choice of Stealth Rock or Spikes is up to you.

I'd think the other sets in BW are also viable too, what do you think?

you sound like a stall hater, no offense
Never understood the respect for stall, to be honest. As a former stall player myself, I believe that it's much more skillful to pull off an offensive team, despite what stigma there may be about dragon/HO fanatics. It's not particularly difficult to slap a status on someone and Synthesis or Wish/Protect to death. Just my two cents, sorry for the rant.

Anyways, love Skarmory. One of the most versatile walls - being able to set up hazards, clear hazards, phaze sweepers, all while maintain pretty scary offensive pressure is something few pokemon can put on their resume.

No Swords Dance+Weak Armor??? Please nigga
Anyway, Skarmory still stands out because of the solid typing and reliable recovery (the immunity to Toxic is also great for a wall), and it's role didn't changed (although Spikes isn't as useful as before). It's still a solid poke.
A Dragon is an almost perfect candidate for a teammate; Goodra stands out because it's freaking bulky on the special side while covering Skarmory weaknesses, and vice-versa (Ice is neutral on Skarmory though).

Just get a Magic Bounce user and problem solved :)
Or a faster pokémon with taunt.
That's a great counter strategy, but how many Magic Bounce Pokes are there? I know of Espeon, Xatu and Mega Absol and tbh there are much other Pokemons I prefer to use over them.

you sound like a stall hater, no offense
I don't mind stalling, but this is different than normal stalling, its just pure spamming and abusing of Whirlwind after setting up entry hazards.

I don't mind stalling, as sometimes it gives you the perfect chance to set up.

Defog should be slashed with Brave Bird or even Stealth Rock/Spikes.

Taunt requires some speed investment to be ran effectively, 88 speed EVs outspeed 4 Spe Mandibuzz.

Rocky Helmet is a good item for Skarmory, probably better than Shed Shell.

Defog should be slashed with Brave Bird or even Stealth Rock/Spikes.

Taunt requires some speed investment to be ran effectively, 88 speed EVs outspeed 4 Spe Mandibuzz.

Rocky Helmet is a good item for Skarmory, probably better than Shed Shell.
I agree, Rocky Helmet is amazing on Skarmory. Roost is already very good recovery. Rocky Helmet gives Skarmory a slight boost in offensive pressure that it needs, not to mention it can leave a little dent in common knock off users - 16% hurts Bisharp especially.

As far as a moveset goes, I have to agree with Mitchhhhhh, Defog is basically required on Skarmory, but I wouldn't sacrifice Spikes or Stealth Rock for it. Most Pokemon aren't scared of Skarmory's piss-weak Brave Bird unless they happen to be weak to it, so without the ability to threaten hazards, Skarmory can do very little to the opponent to force them to switch (I guess Whirlwind). Plus Skarmory is so good at laying hazards that it's a crying shame to not use them. It does leave Skarmory total Taunt bait, but Skarmory has always more or less been total Taunt bait, so it's not a huge surprise. Besides, that's what you have teammates for.

Last edited:
Dear lord, do NOT put Shed Shell on Skarmory. Don't put it on anything. Shed shell rarely heals more than leftovers do, and Skarmory isn't even attacking things most of the time, so it's just useless.

As far as a moveset goes, I have to agree with Mitchhhhhh, Defog is basically required on Skarmory, but I wouldn't sacrifice Spikes or Stealth Rock for it. Most Pokemon aren't scared of Skarmory's piss-weak Brave Bird unless they happen to be weak to it, so without the ability to threaten hazards, Skarmory can do very little to the opponent to force them to switch (I guess Whirlwind). Plus Skarmory is so good at laying hazards that it's a crying shame to not use them. It does leave Skarmory total Taunt bait, but Skarmory has always more or less been total Taunt bait, so it's not a huge surprise. Besides, that's what you have teammates for.
Shed shell doesn't heal, that's shell bell.

Too slow to use whirlwind? Might want to actually research game mechanics before you criticize sets that are made by people who know what they are doing. Whirlwind has negative priority meaning speed won't matter unless they use moves in the same priority bracket like another phasing move. Whirlwind is essential to prevent set up so it doesn't have to use something like red card which only works once to phase. Red card also takes away leftovers recovery which skarmory appreciates as a wall

IMO, Skarmory is a little slow to run Whirlwind, unless you run like... Jolly/ Choice Scarf. Why you would is beyond me though. I run a dual Stealth-Rock/Spikes Set with a Red Card.
Skarmory
EV: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Atk (Careful/ Impish)
Item: Red Card
Move Set:
Stealth Rock
Spikes
Brave Bird
Roost/ Whirlwind (Slashed it in case someone's gonna complain.)

It's fun to watch all the Gyarados's and Aegislashes set up all over, attack, Sturdy, Red Card. Insert rage quit.
If you do want to use such a gimmicky Hazard set at least go Jolly max speed and run Taunt, lack of Custap Berry hurts this though as you wont be able to spinblock your own hazards by killing yourself after Sturdy with BB anymore.

IMO, Skarmory is a little slow to run Whirlwind, unless you run like... Jolly/ Choice Scarf. Why you would is beyond me though. I run a dual Stealth-Rock/Spikes Set with a Red Card.
Skarmory
EV: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Atk (Careful/ Impish)
Item: Red Card
Move Set:
Stealth Rock
Spikes
Brave Bird
Roost/ Whirlwind (Slashed it in case someone's gonna complain.)
First of all, phazing moves have negative priority, sou ur argument of being too slow is practically invalid.
Second , you should always run Roost , so i would slash Whirlwind with Spikes.
Red Card isnt that good on skarm, as you already have Whirlwind as a move to phaze them out and this several times, what red card isnt capable of.Rocky Helmet/ Lefties are much better viable options, as they provide additional residual damage or recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)