Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Safeguard, a move that's rarely seen despite it having a somewhat useful effect.

Status effects can mean the difference between winning or losing a battle, and hence, being able to prevent it on your side could potentially make or break a match.

Especially with the discussion and large dislike towards para-swagger, why is this move being ignored in OU?

Well it does only last for 5 turns (the same thing that pretty much kills off trick room in singles) it still has a useful effect against some of the worst things in the game (burn and paralysis can effectively kill off a pokemon if they hit the right one) and can be used to boost a teams offensive (temporarily stopping the aforementioned burn and paralysis) but can beused defensively as a proactive heal bell or even (more as a gimmick it seems however) be used on a cleric with heal bell/aromatherapy to provide both curing and prevention.

It appears to be a pretty viable move, so why is it ignored as much as it is?

But seriously though, is it just not viable, or could there be some effective niche it could make on a team?

Safeguard, a move that's rarely seen despite it having a somewhat useful effect.

Status effects can mean the difference between winning or losing a battle, and hence, being able to prevent it on your side could potentially make or break a match.

Especially with the discussion and large dislike towards para-swagger, why is this move being ignored in OU?

Well it does only last for 5 turns (the same thing that pretty much kills off trick room in singles) it still has a useful effect against some of the worst things in the game (burn and paralysis can effectively kill off a pokemon if they hit the right one) and can be used to boost a teams offensive (temporarily stopping the aforementioned burn and paralysis) but can beused defensively as a proactive heal bell or even (more as a gimmick it seems however) be used on a cleric with heal bell/aromatherapy to provide both curing and prevention.

It appears to be a pretty viable move, so why is it ignored as much as it is?

But seriously though, is it just not viable, or could there be some effective niche it could make on a team?
It's a setup turn that doesn't kill people, is the problem. Trick Room is rare enough, and that turns bruisers like Mega Aggron into ultrafast murder machines. Spending a setup turn and a moveslot on a move that does nothing to offensive Pokemon.

There is so much more you can do with a free setup turn than Safeguard.

Yeah, but I was thinking of it more in terms of a pro active heal bell. Although that doesn't faint other pokemon on it's own, it stills used on certain clerics, as are screeners, and things like sticky web.

In suspect test tier do I need to use the poke/strategy it's been tested to ladder?
No, you ladder with whatever you feel like. Generally, you want to at least get a feel for the meta (specifically in this suspect test where what is being suspected is encouraged to be used more on the ladder) so sometimes that requires actually using the team. But it is by no means required for you to run swagger in this suspect test.

Which of these sets is better for special salamence? Modest max spatk/speed.

@ Scope Lens
Focus Energy
Draco Meteor
Hydro Pump
Dragon Pulse/Roost

white Herb
Draco
Hydro
Dragon
Roost

@Choice Specs/scarf
Draco
Hydro
Dragon
Fire Blast

Substitute and Rain Dance sound like interesting moves to have too. Shame it doesn't get Air Slash/Hurricane.
I was thinking of running it in a rain team which is why I'm hesitant on flamethrower/fire blast, should I run it anyway?

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Which of these sets is better for special salamence? Modest max spatk/speed.

@ Scope Lens
Focus Energy
Draco Meteor
Hydro Pump
Dragon Pulse/Roost

white Herb
Draco
Hydro
Dragon
Roost

@Choice Specs/scarf
Draco
Hydro
Dragon
Fire Blast

Substitute and Rain Dance sound like interesting moves to have too. Shame it doesn't get Air Slash/Hurricane.
I was thinking of running it in a rain team which is why I'm hesitant on flamethrower/fire blast, should I run it anyway?
None. If you're using a rain team, use Dragonite. It's a much better mixed/special attacker in the rain.

No, you ladder with whatever you feel like. Generally, you want to at least get a feel for the meta (specifically in this suspect test where what is being suspected is encouraged to be used more on the ladder) so sometimes that requires actually using the team. But it is by no means required for you to run swagger in this suspect test.
There's a swagger suspect test? (Time to show everyone the true power of safeguard)

What's the difference between Swagger and Thunder Wave? I mean, what makes it so much worse that it's about to be banned? (Other than Klefki.)

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
What's the difference between Swagger and Thunder Wave? I mean, what makes it so much worse that it's about to be banned? (Other than Klefki.)
Swagger boosts your attack AND confuses you, basically turning the game into a coin flip. Sweepers like Garchomp who get +2 and then hit themselves in confusion end up pretty much nuking themselves without any help from the opponent. It also boosts the power of the opponents Foul Play.

TWave slows you down and give you a chance of not attacking, and the chances of being fully paralyzed are much lower than the confusion chance.

If I pokegen a pkm to use as a breeding parent. Is the bred legit (gen VI). Really want those Apricorn Ball without starting HG again. Sorry if this question is not allow

Swagger boosts your attack AND confuses you, basically turning the game into a coin flip. Sweepers like Garchomp who get +2 and then hit themselves in confusion end up pretty much nuking themselves without any help from the opponent. It also boosts the power of the opponents Foul Play.

TWave slows you down and give you a chance of not attacking, and the chances of being fully paralyzed are much lower than the confusion chance.
What this guy said, and also both Ground and Electric pokemon are immune to TWave (Electric pokemon being immune to all paralysis). The only pokemon immune to confusion (Own Tempo) are not viable in OU, and there are only a handful of them anyway. Also, paralysis gives you a 25% chance of losing your turn and confusion gives a 50% of losing your turn *and* damaging yourself. TWave is honestly I think used more for the drop in Speed than the chance to make you lose turns.

You can't breed to scizor. Scyther is the pre evolution. Besides that nitpick, "The only way to get Bug Bite on a Scyther is by using the move tutor in pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver. Located at the Battle Frontier Front, it cost 32 battle points B.P." From GameFaqs.com http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960099-pokemon-heartgold-version/52641185
EDIT:
What this guy said, and also both Ground and Electric pokemon are immune to TWave (Electric pokemon being immune to all paralysis). The only pokemon immune to confusion (Own Tempo) are not viable in OU, and there are only a handful of them anyway. Also, paralysis gives you a 25% chance of losing your turn and confusion gives a 50% of losing your turn *and* damaging yourself. TWave is honestly I think used more for the drop in Speed than the chance to make you lose turns.
Yep.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hello, I have a question: Why can't we have "Beta" RU yet? Simply make a tier of the 8% (or something) usage from UU.
From what I've seen, each metagame based off usage needs at least 3 or 4 months of data from the tier above. In this sense, UU has been up for about what.. 3 months?

We should have enough data to get a "beta" RU next month if we don't already.

In the meantime, the "Limbo" Pokemon in Showdown represent (rough) tiers, but I'm not sure which is supposed to be RU.

If you're using a hacked Pokémon as a parent, the offspring are not allowed for trade here on Smogon.
Do you mean hacked or generated? "Hacked" generally means "generated and illegal", like a Spiritomb with Wonder Guard. Those don't even check the legality checks of Game Freak.

But a generated pokemon can still be legal. That is, it has at most 510 EVs, at most 31 IVs in each stat, a legal moveset, a released Ability, a legal gender/ability combo etc. Generating legal pokemon is generally seen as okay (I can only speak about places other than Smogon) since generating pokemon only saves time to create a perfectly legal pokemon. The generated legal pokemon also passes all the legality checks in wifi battles and Pokemon Bank. There is literally no difference between the .pkm file of a legal pokemon generated from outside the game and one created within the game by breeding.

So does Smogon just not even allow trading of legal pokemon generated by third party programs? (Even if Smogon does not allow that, then I don't see how it can be enforced since it is impossible to determine whether a legal pokemon was generated from outside the game.)

I want a Mawile with Focus Punch, but given I don't have access to that, what's the next best option to complement Play Rough and Sucker Punch? Fire Fang or is there something better? Maybe power up punch or just forego a third attacking move altogether for swords dance?

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I want a Mawile with Focus Punch, but given I don't have access to that, what's the next best option to complement Play Rough and Sucker Punch? Fire Fang or is there something better? Maybe power up punch or just forego a third attacking move altogether for swords dance?
I would go with Swords Dance just for the power and then Fire Fang so you aren't walled by other things like Ferro or Scizor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)