ImprisonMons

(Approved by Joim and ArcticBlast)
Imprison Mons is an unique meta, unlike any other. The main rule of imprison mons is that during the entire battle, Imprison is in play on both sides. For example if a Dragonite were to use Dragon Claw and I switch into a Garchomp that knows Dragon Claw, the Dragonite will not be able to attack. Standard OU clauses do apply.

Ubers
Ditto
Transform

Rock Tomb / Slide -----> Stone Edge
Dual Chop -----> Dragon Claw
Land's Wrath -----> Earthquake
Frost Breath -----> Ice Beam
Luster Purge / Mist Ball -----> Psychic
Spikes / Stealth Rock -----> Defog / Rapid Spin
Bite -----> Crunch / Knock Off
Doom Desire and other Exclusive Moves
Hidden Power
Eruption -----> Fire Blast
Thrash -----> Return
Frustration -----> Return
Feint -----> Quick Attack

Please post suggestions, changes, criticism etc. and ill hopefully agree with them, thanks.

This is finally now playable here and here thanks to Fusxfaranto!

Last edited:
This is a really cool idea, I can see a lot of usage in pokemon with signature moves such as keldeo, meloetta, victini the list goes on but i will definitly be playing this when it is implemented.

So just to be clear, when a Pokemon switches into a move that it knows, will the attack be prevented by the Imprison? If so, then it's gonna be a lot easier to keep hazards up once they're set, sense anything with Defog or Rapid Spin can now block those. (Edit: Shedinjask'd)
Also, Frustration can be a good alternative to Return, as it has the same base power once you minimize the users happiness.

So just to be clear, when a Pokemon switches into a move that it knows, will the attack be prevented by the Imprison? If so, then it's gonna be a lot easier to keep hazards up once they're set, sense anything with Defog or Rapid Spin can now block those.
Also, Frustration can be a good alternative to Return, as it has the same base power once you minimize the users happiness.
Yes thats exactly how it works, so you can block Defog by switching into a pokemon that knows defog. Also smart, ill add furstration in

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
one big thing i'm seeing is that choice items seem much less effective, as if they have any mons on their team that share the move you lock yourself into, you are forced out. This will definitely be interesting to test though, striking a balance between being weird enough to not get blocked and strong enough to win games will be very difficult

so in short it seems to be some sort of cycle...

people run weaker moves so that they don't get imprisoned --> more people run weaker moves and end up imprisoning each other

also since imprison is active wouldn't it actually mean that you can't get hit by that move at the same time? if you switched in say a sylveon onto a chansey, neither will be able to use wish or heal bell...

or outrage salamence walking into zygarde's face and completely laughing at it

yeah signature moves are big (keldeo, heatran etc)

A bigger thing I can see coming into play here is pokemon running their weaknesses. If you have an electric type running EQ, nothing else can hit you with it, so you're pretty well off.
Yes that is the point making this meta very different
so in short it seems to be some sort of cycle...

people run weaker moves so that they don't get imprisoned --> more people run weaker moves and end up imprisoning each other
Yes but you sometimes may also want to run the more common moves so that you can imprison your opponent, wasting a turn of his.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
God I love this idea. Seems amazing.

Smeargle -> best utility counter for anything lol
there's so many things you can use this for, probably best for stallbreaking

Very interesting idea.
Common moves like EQ, surf, beams, Stone Edge now can become useless. I like it, especially because it opens up gimmicky strategies and lesser used mons.
Also, should we post sets or would that be foolish because then people would know what uncommon moves to run assuming that this meta will someday be up on ps or something?

Sure, Ill start it off:

Blockosaurus (Dragonite) @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Rush
- Roost
- Dragon Dance

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Flame Charge

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
Heatran running Earth Power is pretty common in standard, in fact I think it can probably use it's SpD set exactly as it is in OU, maybe it can even use EQ (if it has it) instead.

With that and the fact that it has a signature move in Magma Storm and a semi-exclusive move in Lava Plume, I think it can effectively run both a physically or specially defensive set - for that, you probably just have to choose between Earth Power or EQ. Support moves are gonna be tricky to use here as well.

How to deal with situations where it's 1 on 1 and movesets match up? (Although unlikely, it'll probably happen a few times)

Does it work like normal imprison in that case and revert to struggle?

I assume so, but I want to make sure how that would work.

yeah both sides are forced to use struggle

i think there's an issue though because in the game it doesn't say that you are locked into struggle until after you actually hit 'fight', in which case you can't cancel your decision. this is more of a sim problem than anything else though =/

How to deal with situations where it's 1 on 1 and movesets match up? (Although unlikely, it'll probably happen a few times)

Does it work like normal imprison in that case and revert to struggle?

I assume so, but I want to make sure how that would work.
yes both pokemon will resort to using struggle

Deoxys-S/Deoxys-D
Ability: Pressure
-Magic Coat
-Taunt
-Stealth Rocks/Spikes
-Psycho Boost/Spikes

Driftblim
Ability: Aftermath
-Defog
-Baton Pass
-Shadow Ball
-Substitute/Thunderbolt/Calm Mind/Stockpile/Tail Wind

Terrakion
Ability: Justified
-Sacred Sword
-Rock STAB
-Earthquake
-Rock Polish/Swords Dance/X-Scissor/Superpower

Driftblim is the only Ghost that can learn Defog, thus making it the only pokemon that can block both forms of hazard removal. The Deo forms are the best hazard setters in standard, and here also have the ability to block Taunt and Magic Coat, making it even more likely they can get up Spikes and SR. However, they share a weakness to Dark type moves, making them vulnerable to things like Mandabuz, Blastiose-Mega, and various Pursuit trappers. This is where our Justified user comes in. They can sponge a predicted Dark type move, and retaliate at +1. Sacred Sword is used for it's low distribution, and gains great coverage along side Rock type STAB. Earthquake is for Aegislash and protecting against your opponents prediction. Superpower is an option for people who really want to a safe switch into Tyranitar. Other Justified Pokémon could be used instead, but Terrakion is the only Pokemon with Sacred Sword that isn't walled by Aegislash. Virizion deals far better with Blastiose-M however, so it could be a viable alternative, or even teamate.

Things that use attacks that few others use will be very strong. So TechniLoom can be used pretty much normally for example.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
I think walls have an easier chance of doing their job. Imprison works they turn they switch in, right?

So Imagine this Scenario: You send Keldeo out, the opponent sends in a Volt Switch user. Now, if this thing was choiced, you switch in something like, Forretress? If it's choiced you just got a free turn to lay SR, spikes, spin, whatever you want. Doesn't have to be forry and doesn't have to be choiced, just an example. Imprison pretty much works like Immunities, so you may actually not have to worry about team symmetry except in terms of offensive coverage.

How does hidden power work? Does it have to be the same type hidden power, or is it just the move?

Now there's slight reason for some pokemon to now run hidden power even if they have weak sp attack stats. Increase their ability to wall instead.

I think walls have an easier chance of doing their job. Imprison works they turn they switch in, right?
yes
How does hidden power work? Does it have to be the same type hidden power, or is it just the move?

Now there's slight reason for some pokemon to now run hidden power even if they have weak sp attack stats. Increase their ability to wall instead.
All hidden powers count as the same move, so Hidden Power Ice still cockblocks Hidden Power flying, as tested here.

Another edit, outrage does something weird with imprison, it does the same effect as if it hit, but did no damage (the user still gets confused) as tested here. If outrage were to hit protect or a fairy it would not be confused.

Another edit, outrage does something weird with imprison, it does the same effect as if it hit, but did no damage (the user still gets confused) as tested here. If outrage were to hit protect or a fairy it would not be confused.
Outrage will still confuse if it would have ended on the same turn that it was interrupted by Imprison, Protect, type immunity, etc. So in that example if Serperior's Outrage was going to last 3 turns instead of 2, or if you'd set up imprison before it attacked, it would not have gotten confused.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)