Other The OU Theorymon Project (CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
All of these are pretty good ideas. Here's what I think:

Fur Coat Mamoswine: For offensive sets, Mamoswine would actually rather like this buff. Taking on the threats alexwolf mentioned and more is pretty important, and with it, neutral uninvested Defense hits 392, which is amazing for an offensive Pokemon. But I feel lead sets would still prefer Oblivious, since it protects Mamoswine from Taunt when laying down Stealth Rocks. I can see Fur Coat sets with Leftovers or Assault Vest, so he does certainly have some use, but I'm a bit sceptical at the moment.

Tough Claws Drapion: I can see some justification in his use, with powered up Pursuit, Knock Off, Crunch, Aqua Tail, Brick Break, and Poison Jab, as well as the elemental fangs, he could certainly dish out the damage, and since most attacks he uses involves direct contact, we can usually just assume his attack is 362~ if you run Jolly with max Attack EVs, and 397~ running Adamant. Getting Swords Dance is pretty neat, too. But his only decent speed might force him to take a tanking role, so I'm not sure if he'll be the monster some people make him out to be.

Poison Heal Jellicent: Now this is a concept I can get behind. Poison Heal on literally any defensive Pokemon susceptible to Toxic is a godsend, but Jellicent utilizes this rather well. His sizable defenses and access to Recover are pretty amazing, and having resistances to Fire, Water, Ice, Poison, Bug, and Steel, as well as having Normal and Fighting immunities, Jellicent has many opportunities to activate his Toxic Orb. But being a defensive Ghost-type is a very risky thing this gen, with the popularity Ghost- and Dark-type moves have gotten these days, and being weak to Knock Off and Pursuit of all things is bad news. Overall, a great buff, but might yield so-so results.

Psychic / Normal Reuniclus: Another concept I could easily get behind. Psychic-types have always been a shaky choice when it comes to defensive types, being weak to Ghost, Dark, and Bug, but the Normal-typing will rid Reuniclus of one of those weaknesses, breathing new life into the lovable blob. This will allow him to literally tank some of OU's top threats, including Gengar and Aegislash. Losing a Fighting resistance stinks a bit, but Ghost immunity while not being weak to Fighting? Yes, yes, and more yes. But still being weak to Dark is a big problem, and Pursuit and Knock Off are his biggest nemeses. And without Defense investment, Trick Room being set up, or a perfectly timed Focus Blast, Pokemon like Bisharp, (Mega) Tyranitar, Crawdaunt, and (Mega) Absol can make your life hell. Despite all this, though, Psychic / Normal Reuniclus could be a monster in the right hands.

All in all, I think my vote will have to go to Psychic / Normal Reuniclus, since we need Pokemon to take on Ghost-types these days.

In the spirit of the thread, I won't vote for an offensive buff like tough claws, but I really want to make an exception for Drapion for the reasons Alex listed. I'm glad to see that it's getting votes, even if I'm not voting for it

Jellicent is laughable in how obvious poison heal is, but it seems too soon after snorlax. Not unviable, just not as fun as the other options right now.

I'm voting for Psychic/Normal Reuniclus

Last edited:
Why is Mamoswine on the ballot? It is currently A- in the Viability Ranking thread. I'm going with Tough Claws Drapion for now, but my vote is subject to change.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why is Mamoswine on the ballot? It is currently A- in the Viability Ranking thread. I'm going with Tough Claws Drapion for now, but my vote is subject to change.
You are absolutely right, it completely slipped my mind. Removing Mamoswine from the slate, and since the voting has already started, we must go on with only 3 Pokemon this time. Sorry for the inconvenience guys.

Last edited:
Well, the 3 possible choices are good.
Jellicent poison heal become a bit more viable since it can absorb status, and combined with its really usefull double type, that could give it a chance in OU, but it still remains its dark weakness and quite frail physical bulk.
Psychic/normal Reuniculus is a good idea, counter Aegislash is so good while it can run several very efficient sets. However, it looses its only resistance and don't get any stab offensivly, that could be annoying.
Oh Though Claws Drapion, a so underatted mon, its double type really unique with only 1 weakness, plenty resistances, good bulk, good attack and a quite good movepool; and now a quite usefull ability, i have to say i don't see why it could not work. It has my props.

Psychic/normal reuniclus

Calm mind hyper beam is the new meta

No but seriously the more aegislash gets checked, the better.

I like the idea of tough claws drapion but aside from knock off and poison tail I can't really think of any other move it has that would really take advantage of this newfound ability.

Tough Claws Drapion
Gotta go with my fav pokemon and it is a boost that he really needs. Was still hoping for a Mega-Drapion though :'(

Tough Claws Drapion - *shrug* Well, it's not like any of its old Abilities were doing it any big favors.

Poison Heal Jellicent - Jellicent's fine. We don't need another Toxic immunity, and one of the main reasons I use it is for Water Absorb.

Psychic/Normal Reuniclus - So it gains a Shadow Ball/Sneak immunity in exchange for a Sacred Sword neutrality. It'll definitely increase its viability against Aegislash, but don't get to thinking that it's a perfect counter.

I'm going with Tough Claws Drapion. Looking at the discussion about the current CAP, Poison/Dark is actually a pretty good typing for taking out Aegislash. Granted, gaining an Ability that buffs the contact moves that King's Shield punishes isn't the best idea, but it's something else to talk about.

Poor Jelicent hopefully you can come back later but for now I vote for Tough Claws Drapion. It was my second choice but I got over Jelicent for this voting period. Reuniclus just seems odd getting a partly normal typing.

Tough Claws Drapion
this might be weird but I'm not really thinking about this much. We could put Fur Coat Piloswine on the next slate. I mean if we can give roost to Heracross and not M-Heracross we can probably do this to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)