[RU] Durant (Substitute + Baton Pass) [QC 2/3]

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

[SET]
name: Substitute + Baton Pass
move 1: Substitute
move 2: X-Scissor
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Baton Pass
item: Insect Plate / Salac Berry
ability: Hustle
nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

- Takes advantage of the fact that Durant is so dangerous people usually switch predictable responses into it.
- Bluff that you're a choice'd Durant, then set up a Substitute as your opponent goes to Alomomola / Qwilfish and Baton Pass out.
- X-scissor is the best STAB choice for this set, since Bug STAB is reasonably strong in RU and it hits things hard, especially with the Insect Plate boost.
- Superpower gives coverage, hits stuff like Steelix that would otherwise just Roar you out.
- Keep in mind you don't necessarily always have to Baton Pass Substitutes; using Baton Pass as your opponent switches is also a good way to preserve momentum while bluffing Choice Scarf.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

- Max Speed to outspeed max Speed Manectric and Cryogonal, rest in Attack for power.
- Iron Head + Iron Plate is a viable option for STAB, but X-scissor has nicer coverage.
- Pair this with stuff that sets up on Qwilfish / Alomomola; Jynx and SubCM Uxie are great choices.
- Will post more partners when I actually write this up n_n.

Last edited:

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
It likes partners that dgf about being passed intimidate bc qwiller is such a great switch into it. Really the pass ant -> Jynx synergy is amazing on so many levels. I'd probably include dogdogdog in good teammates too because Klinker is actually a really good ant switch and you can use volt turn shenanigans if you have spikeys up. And killing steelix and escav is good for ant too.

I'd slash rock slide under superpower because it wouldn't be too hard to envision a team that was molktres weak and wanted an offensive check to moltres that happens to lure moltres in pretty well. Also I think Salac is probably a pretty decent item.

<~Nails> should sub pass ant have salac slashed under insect plate
<%atomicllamas> probably
<%atomicllamas> I mean at that point
<%atomicllamas> they are both sort of fillers

But ya I can't think of anything else.

QC APPROVED 1/3

i'd also kind of like to see salac slashed, since wringing some additional value out of sub-passing is p.cool, and it can occasionally give durant a better window to sweep on its own here and there. at that point it may be worth noting some ko's that insect plate picks up (ohko standard def slowking unconditionally+max/max bold variants after sr, 2hko @ standard amoonguss after sr, etc.) just to give some idea of why it isn't totally outclassed by salac to readers, but excessive calcs are kinda lame imo. also, and i kinda figure it's just a weird phrasing deal, but i'd make sure to verify that x-scissor doesn't technically offer better coverage than iron head, but bug stab is just too good to drop (ie.better super-effective coverage v.a bunch of significant targets in the metagame. also maybe a point explaining how important superpower is, despite having poor synergy w/baton pass in write-up.

qc 2/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)