Metagame NP: RU Stage -1: Message to Oglemi, Nails, and Honko (VENOMOTH STOLEN FROM US))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vryheid

fudge jelly
choice specs zoroark has earned me at least 2 kos in every single RU game I've played, it really is a monster and if you illusion something like bronzong it's pretty much impossible to switch safely into it

Alright, I'm going to basically put all the potential RU threats into a single post since it was requested somewhere a long ways back. This will take a while, so bear with me.

First, I'm alphabetizing them. Bolded are imo the bigger threats.

EDIT: Completely done with the threat list, currently adding bios.

DOUBLE EDIT: Jesus this is taking forever; I've been doing this for hours and I'm only done through C. I will resume at a later point.

Abomasnow (Mega)

One of two Megas in the tier; potent mixed offenses, high powered moves, strong bulk, and priority. Also provides Hail support. Slow and has bad defensive typing.

Accelgor

Fast Spikes user with access to Encore and Final Gambit; possesses decent offenses, but is very frail.

Alomomola

Incredibly bulky Water type Wish passer with Regenerator.

Altaria

Defensive Dragon type with good support and defensive movepool; decent but not great offensive capabilities.

Ambipom

Decently powerful offensive pivot with access to Technician boosted STAB Fake Out. Very frail, however.

Amoonguss

Potent mixed wall with access to Regenerator, Synthesis, Spore, and a slew of support options. Decent Special Attack and good special move pool, but very slow.

Archeops

Incredibly powerful and fast mixed attacker with deadly offensive move pool, but at the cost of a horrible nerving ability.

Aromatisse

Bulky Fairy type with numerous clerical options, such as Wish and Aromatherapy.

Articuno

Bulky Pokemon that possesses reliable recovery, decent speed, and strong offensive options; hampered by bad defensive typing.

Avalugg

Titanically physically bulky Pokemon with strong physical offense, good ability in Sturdy, reliable recovery, and Rapid Spin; hampered by poor speed, awful special bulk, and bad defensive typing.

Azelf

Incredibly fast and incredibly deadly mixed attacker with expansive movepool on both attacking fronts and decent support options.

Banette (Mega)

One of two Megas in the tier; titanic physical attack stat combined with Prankster and expansive support move pool; lacks reliable recovery and has issues with bulk pre-Mega, and Prankster does not activate on the turn it Mega Evolves.

Barbaracle

Fastest Shell Smasher in the tier with strong physical attacking move pool and excellent ability in Tough Claws.

Bouffalant

Very bulky Pokemon with powerful offensive options and strong ability in Sap Sipper; slow and lacks recovery.

Bronzong

Very bulky mixed wall with excellent defensive typing and strong ability in Levitate, hits decently hard for a wall; slow and lacks recovery.

Carracosta

Strong mixed attacking Shell Smasher with strong offensive options on both sides of the spectrum and Sturdy for easy setup; can be outsped even after setup due to very slow base speed.

Chatot

Possesses powerful combo in Nasty Plot + STAB Boomburst, also has signature move Chatter with 100% Confusion rate; very frail, only decently fast, and can't run Heat Wave with Boomburst.

Cincinno

Very fast offensive pivot with highly powerful Skill Link boosted moves, but very frail.

Clawitzer

Extremely potent Special Attacker with excellent coverage and strong ability in Mega Launcher; only decent bulk and very slow.

Claydol

Very bulky mixed wall with decent defensive typing, strong ability in Levitate, and access to Rapid Spin; slow and lacks recovery.

Cobalion

Very fast and incredibly physically bulky Pokemon with above average offenses, overall outstanding typing, and strong offensive and support movepool, can also pivot with Volt Switch. Very few flaws.

Cofagrigus

Titanically physically bulky spinblocker with decent special stats, strong support movepool, and useful signature ability in Mummy. Also excellent as a Trick Room setter with Nasty Plot. Slow and lacks recovery.

Combusken

One of two Speed Boost passers in the tier; strong offensive options and access to Swords Dance. Only decent mixed offenses and very frail without eviolite.

Cradily

Bulky mixed wall with decent offensive stats and movepool, strong ability in Storm Drain, and reliable recovery. Also has strong support options. Slow, but has no major flaws.

Cresselia

Bulkiest Pokemon in the tier by far; has decent offensive and support move pool, strong defensive ability in Levitate, and reliable recovery in Moonlight. Posses only average offenses and only has 8 pp for recovery.

Crustle

Possesses strong physical bulk and support options, as well as Shell Smash coupled with a decently powerful physical attack and movepool; has average special bulk, can be outped even after setting up thanks to low base speed, and lacks recovery.

Cryogonal

Very specially bulky Pokemon with reliable recovery, Rapid Spin, a high speed stat, good ability in Levitate, and decently powerful special offense; hampered by extremely poor physical bulk and bad defensive typing.

D

Delphox
Ditto
Doublade
Dragalge
Drapion
Drifblim
Druddigon
Dugtrio
Durant
Dusclops

Dusknoir

E

Eelektross
Electivire
Emboar
Escavalier

Exploud

F

Feraligatr
Ferroseed
Froslass

G

Gallade
Gastrodon
Gligar
Gogoat

Golurk
Gorebyss
Gougeist
Granbull
Gurdurr

H

Hariyama
Haunter
Heliolisk
Hitmonchan
Hitmonlee
Hitmontop

J

Jellicent

Jumpluff
Jynx

K

Kabutops
Kadabra
Kangaskhan
Kecleon
Kingler
Klingklang
Kyurem

L

Lanturn
Leavanny
Liepard
Linoone
Ludicolo

M

Magmortar

Magneton
Medicham (MEGA IS BANNED)
Meloetta
Meowstic-M
Mesprit
Milotic
Miltank
Mismagius
Moltres

Mr. Mime
Munchlax
Murkrow
Musharna

N

Ninjask

O

Omastar

P

Pangoro
Pikachu
Piloswine
Poliwrath
Primeape

Q

Qwilfish

R

Raichu
Raikou
Rampardos
Regirock
Registeel
Reuniclus
Rhydon
Rhyperior
Roselia
Rotom
Rotom-Fan
Rotom-Frost
Rotom-Mow

S

Sable

Samurott
Sandslash
Sawk
Sawsbuck
Sceptile
Scyther
Seismitoad
Sharpedo
Shaymin

Shedinja
Shuckle
Sigilyph

Skuntank
Slowking
Slurpuff
Smeargle
Sneasel
Spiritomb
Steelix
Stoutland
Swanna
Swellow
Swoobat

T

Tangrowth

Tauros
Throh
Togetic
Torkoal
Torterra
Toxicroak
Typhlosion
Tyrantrum

U

Ursaring
Uxie

V

Venomoth

Victreebel
Vigoroth
Virizion
Vivillon

Volbeat
Vullaby

W

Walrein
Weezing
Whimsicott
Wigglybuff

X

Xatu

Y

Yanmega

Z

Zangoose
Zoroark
Zweilous

Last edited:
I really like Assault Vest Dragalge:

Dragalge @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
Moves:
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Scald
- Dragon Tail

With an Assault Vest, Dragalge can take many special hits. Draco Meteor, and Sludge Wave are to hit hard, scald let's you get those burns that Dragalge would really like. Dragon Tail is to phaze out pokes that like to set up on you, it also goes well with Poison Touch with the chance to Poison the opponent.

It can check certain pokes like Raikou, and Shaymin.

Poison Touch should be replaced with Adaptability when it gets released, which will let it hit like a truck.

Kyurem @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Pulse

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Destiny Bond
- Waterfall
- Crunch

Cobalion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Aerial Ace / filler / x-scissor

These pokemons are amazing! after setting up sub with Kyurem, pretty much something is dying (sans bronzong), Sharpedo is late game sweeper, anything my team hates it goes down with D-Bond. CB Cobalion w/ Volt Switch is BOSS, like 2HKO one of those Gallades, does ~67% to BRONZONG. it's so powerful

And finally:

Yanmega @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Air Slash
- U-turn

This pokemon, poops on fucking everything. Period.

Shaymin :D said:
I believe that these two pokes, which the right teammates, can destory everything. I'm using this core myself, and I've only lost to Speed Ties so far (.____.) I suppose I should give the core I've been experimenting with.

Azelf @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Fire Blast
- Knock Off

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
Hasty Nature
- Night Daze
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Sucker Punch
Ohlawrdy, I loved using that core in 5th gen UU. I kind of want to try out Mismagius + Zoroark at one point though.

Anywho, I've been using Defog Skuntank with Taunt, Sucker Punch, and Pursuit and it has been doing good things for me such as keeping Smeargle from doing what it wants. It's also nice for Cress and, to an extent, Reuniclus and Azelf (Look at me stating the obvious..yay)

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Alright so, after some experimenting on the ladder I found some pretty solid cores:

+

~~MediTank~~
Medicham @ Leftovers
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

Medicham @ Choice Scarf / Choice Band
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spd OR 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Psycho Cut / Fire Punch / Thunder Punch
- Baton Pass
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

Skuntank @ Black Sludge / Assault Vest / Black Glasses / Choice Band
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 192 HP / 64 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Play Rough / Defog
- Pursuit
- Taunt / Sucker Punch / Fire Blast

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 SDef / 192 HP / 64 Spd
Impish Nature
- Pursuit / Crunch
- Roar
- Defog
- Taunt

Trust me when I say, MediTank is one of the best lure cores ever in RU right now. So let me get into the use of baton pass first: Baton Pass is used in order to lure in bulky psychic and ghost types with Medicham that often wall it and BOOM! BP to tank and pursuit trap them to death. Medicham also dents a large population of RU pokemon right now, the CB set is an insane wall breaker with little to no breaks on the rape train that is Medicham's High Jump Kicks. The Scarf set is a great revenge killer and utility check to many pokemon in the tier and the sub pass set is an AMAZING cleaner and early-game lure for skuntank. This core is also a very nice way to deal with the huge over usage of Reuniclus in the tier, often CB Skuntank just existing will make Reu shit it's pants once they see subpass doing it's work by luring it in.

Here are some calcs vs some of the more popular ghosts, psychics and generally pokemon that get rekd by medicham:
Code:
252+ Atk Choice Band Pure Power Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 192-226 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Skuntank Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Banette (switching): 290-344 (87.3 - 103.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Skuntank Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Slowking: 276-326 (70 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Skuntank Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 200-236 (47.1 - 55.6%) -- 75.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Skuntank Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Reuniclus: 290-344 (68.3 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Skuntank Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Reuniclus: 434-512 (102.3 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Skuntank Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Jellicent: 308-366 (76.2 - 90.5%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Skuntank Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Jellicent: 206-246 (50.9 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
All I have to say is, watch the fuck out for sableye, that PoS is annoying, just try to ice punch it behind a sub with cham.

+

~~RegiKing~~
Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic / Nasty Plot

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Rock Slide / Drain Punch / Earthquake
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Thunder Wave

Not going to lie, I pretty much stole this from the classic Gen 4 NU core: RegiKing. RegiKing is so good because of how well the core can tank hits and force common pokemon out due to their amazing synergy in both type and stats. Both parts of this core provide essential Thunder Wave support for both stall and offense and not only can Slowking wall special hits from things like kyurem extremely well, it can also choose to go as a super bulky set up sweeper with nasty plot. Slowking is probably imo, the best special wall in RU right now, and Regirock is extremely crazy hard to take down (leftovers medicham HJK fails to OHKO impish regirock!: 252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 246-290 (67.5 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery)on the physical side, I'd even go as so far to say that it's one of the best physical and mixed walls that we have right now. however, This core is not meant to be used just alone- it requires backbone support from things like Tangrowth or Cobalion. Yes you heard me, while this is a core that provides many frustrations and support in the current RU tier, it has weaknesses to very good wall breakers in the tier right now such as iron head Escavalier and CB Medicham (252+ Atk Choice Band Pure Power Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Slowking: 256-302 (64.9 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery) which often can be covered by things like Cobalion, Tangrowth, Reuniclus, Sableye or Bronzong.

So remember- play well, think well, be inventive, but last but not least have fun! This is a crazy little beta for Molk's sake and we've waited about a year for this to happen, and it did!, learn to experiment and just mess around, Sometimes the most threatening sets are the ones that haven't been found yet! :)

MAMP

MAMP!
Rain offense is really good in the current meta, im running torn/uxie/ludi/kabu/esca/moltres and its incredible. jellicent causes the team some trouble, but ludicolo can giga drain it. this is a top tier strat for sure. also, anyone who said that uxie isnt as good is deluded, its still the msot reliable support mon in the tier.

I can see Hyper-Offense working very well right now, especially in the form of 2 pokes that haven't really been talked about.

May I present to you...

Xatle

Xatu @ Light Clay
Magic Bounce
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- U-turn
- Roost
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpDef/4 Att
Nature: Careful​

Xatu is basically the Deoxys-S of RU. However, there are 3 very nice things that give Xatu the edge over other screeners: A momentum move, Recovery, and most importantly, Magic Bounce. If Stall becomes a thing in this meta, Xatu would be very nice in dealing with it. Xatu is surprisingly bulky, and can take multiple hits while setting up screens. Roost helps Xatu come in later in the game and set up more Screens should the need be. U-turn is the icing of the cake, letting a teammate come in and wreck house.

Crustle @ Red Card
Sturdy
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Att
Nature: Impish
Crustle is the Deoxys-D of RU. With the Sturdy + Red Card + Hazards, it doesn't become set-up fodder while being a very effective hazard setter. If Red Card phazes into the right pokemon, it can set up even more hazards, letting its teammates destroy walls that it can't break before. Knock Off is used to remove Leftovers and Life Orbs, which is always nice. Stone Edge is nice STAB.

I believe that these two pokes, which the right teammates, can destory everything. I'm using this core myself, and I've only lost to Speed Ties so far (.____.) I suppose I should give the core I've been experimenting with.

Azelf @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Hasty Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Fire Blast
- Knock Off

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
Hasty Nature
- Night Daze
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Sucker Punch
It's worked very well so far. Just for derps, I'll also throw in a replay. I haven't played that many battles, so its not the best, but it shows how easily Crustle and Xatu can set up. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rubeta-106249488

Thank you for reading this rather lengthy post. So, what are your opinions on it? ^_^
The Crustle + Xatu core looks damn fine. Not as smooth as Deo + Sharp + Aegi but it looks like it has a ton of potential. You might want to consider Primeape or Braviary there as those two can be threatening with a +2 Defog boost. A spinblocker would be good too. Doublade maybe? Anyway, thats just my opinion.

Still finding it weird that stuff like Kyurem, Kou and Azelf are in the tier.

I'm personally happy that Durant stayed RU. It's been my favorite Pokemon for a while now, ever since I tried it out randomly as a replacement for banded Scizor in 5th gen (never went back). I love running the following set because it hits hard, is fast, and doesn't like Escavalier. (Not a good enough 3rd reason, I know)

Wriggle Nightbug (Durant) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Aerial Ace
- X-Scissor
- Superpower

Have not seen Torkoal mentioned in this thread yet. Torkoal has absolutely insane physical bulk, and is probably the most solid answer to Esca and Durant (among other physical threats) besides maybe Moltres, who requires a lot more support. I'm still unsure what moves are most effective for him, but I see Torkoal being a solid choice for FWG cores.

Tornadus (M)
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Acrobatics
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Whilst prankster Tornadus is often expected for rain/setup etc, people tend to forget his role as what I call a 'Defog blocker'. With base 115 attack, he can certainly pack a punch but at +2 he wrecks everything. Good coverage, no item because acrobatics is the only physical stab he gets other than aerial ace. Obviously needs spikes/rocks/webs to force a defog and a spinblocker to discourage rapid spin.

You could argue that is it outclassed by Braviary, although Tornadus is faster without having to use a scarf.

Last edited:

Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Destiny Bond
- Icy Wind / Shadow Ball / Ice Beam

Incredibly hard to stop it from laying down Spikes. Taunt stops opposing leads and Destiny Bond allows it to take down a foe. Last slot is for STAB. Icy Wind allows it to cripple faster mons. I generally use it with Defiant Tornadus and Cofag, to secure my hazards stay. Froslass is a really great mon in RU right now, perfect for HO.

Alright so, after some experimenting on the ladder I found some pretty solid cores:

+

~~MediTank~~

+

~~RegiKing~~
i agree these cores are very good in dp nu

...regiking sounds pretty bad right now. it'd probably fall apart to most offensive threats. it's a REALLY outdated core lol. meditank is probably still great though because skuntank got some nice buffs this gen, but if you're going offensive on the dark-type, you should use drapion because it has knock off.

anyways i'm wondering how you guys handle escavalier (both avest and choice band). it's really fucking strong and hard to OHKO without a fire-type, and it can take advantage of so many good mons like reuniclus and shaymin. problem is, there isn't any particularly good fire-type right now aside from moltres. emboar is decent, delphox is decent, and then everything else is sort of bad.

I've been using Sharpedo + Scarfed Xatu, it's a funny little duo. Most physical walls don't bother switching out from Xatu seeing that it poses little offensive threat, only to be tricked a Choice Scarf and have their best Sharpedo counter crippled for the rest of the match. I'm really loving Sharpedo right now, only a few things resist it's STABs (Toxicroak and Whimsicott?) It really only fears bulkier grass types and Toxicroak, but it can take out weakened grass types with Ice Fang and Toxicroak with Earthquake, so apart from Tangrowth, yeah, this thing has really few counters. It likes support in the form of Hazards and maybe something to take out the regenerating grass types, but honestly it's something that you can just slap on a team and have a decent late game cleaner/revenge killer.

...regiking sounds pretty bad right now. it'd probably fall apart to most offensive threats. it's a REALLY outdated core lol. meditank is probably still great though because skuntank got some nice buffs this gen, but if you're going offensive on the dark-type, you should use drapion because it has knock off.

anyways i'm wondering how you guys handle escavalier (both avest and choice band). it's really fucking strong and hard to OHKO without a fire-type, and it can take advantage of so many good mons like reuniclus and shaymin. problem is, there isn't any particularly good fire-type right now aside from moltres. emboar is decent, delphox is decent, and then everything else is sort of bad.
Personally, I have been using a set that Nails peaked the RU ladder with last gen. Defensive Emboar. 4x resisting Bug, 2x resisting Steel and only taking like 45% from Drill Run, i think Emboar right now is one of the best answers to the Bug/Steel's.

Emboar @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spd
Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Superpower
Flare Blitz and Superpower for obligatory STAB, WoW to burn shit and Protect for racking up burn, scouting etc. Some calcs to show the bulk of Emboar :]
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant X-Scissor vs. 248 HP / 248+ Def Emboar: 61-72 (14.4 - 17%) -- possible 6HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 248+ Def Emboar: 123-144 (29 - 34%) -- 2.2% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Escavalier Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 248+ Def Emboar: 69-82 (16.3 - 19.3%) -- possible 6HKO
252+ Atk Escavalier Megahorn vs. 248 HP / 248+ Def Emboar: 52-61 (12.2 - 14.4%) -- possible 7HKO
252+ Atk Escavalier Drill Run vs. 248 HP / 248+ Def Emboar: 186-220 (43.9 - 52%) -- 11.7% chance to 2HKO

Escavalier is really hard to deal with atm. I see Rotom-H dropping at some point (too many fire types in uu), it can easily take it on.

Scyther anyone? He's fast, powerful, pretty bulky with eviolite equipped, has a great ability and has access to Swords Dance and reliable recovery. He can go choiced, attempt to sweep with SD or even Baton Pass boosts, if that's your thing. Also he's super cool. The only thing really holding him back is that awful defensive typing.

Typhlosion seems to be a very underrated fire-type threat. STAB Eruption at full health shits on anything, especially with Specs. While I haven't used it very much, it by no means is bad in anyway, and seems to be a forgotton threat.

I've been having quite a bit of fun with Calm Mind Virizion. It requires a good amount of support, but of you can set up, it can tear through teams. Here's the set I've been running;

Virizion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 20 HP / 236 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute / Hidden Power [Rock]
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast

The first choice is up to preference. I personally prefer Sub, as it eases prediction and provides a buffer for opposing physical attacks. HP Rock helps beat Delphox however.

Good teammates that help support this set are ones that can draw in Water and Electric types, which Virizion can set up on easily. I've found Tornadus, Xatu, and Clawitzer to all be good partners. Skunktank is another good option, as it can beat Delphox if you lack HP Rock.

So Rhyperior is one crazy mofo right now! I've been using the tank set, and it's great, but the set I've really fallen in love with is the Weakness Policy one with Rock Polish. Here's what I use:

Rhyperior @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 60 SDef / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Megahorn / Crunch

It's pretty simple, Rhyperior can survive nigh any super effective physical attack that isn't Water or Grass (and even those sometimes) and end up with what is practically a Shell Smash boost. I was running Adamant before, but Rhyperior just misses out on all the base 115s, which is too good to pass up considering it makes mincemeat out of all of them after a boost. The STAB moves are obvious, although I suppose you can cheerfully run Rock Blast/Slide over Stone Edge for accuracy, Sash/Sub breaking and flinching. The least slot I'm kinda conflicted on, guess it depends on what your team can already handle. I love Megahorn for being able to sometimes OHKO max max Cresselia and Tangrowth, but having 2 moves at shaky accuracy can suck when you wanna sweep with this big guy, so Crunch is also a perfectly fine alternative, as it can beat Bronzong, who otherwise walls you, and still 2HKOs Cresselia. The SDef EVs are there to gie a bit of breathing room againt HP Grass from Raikou (don't use HP Ice) which deals 71-84%, allowing you in desperate situations to even set up on it.

+2 252 Atk Rhyperior Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 350-414 (78.8 - 93.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Rhyperior Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Slowking: 332-392 (84.2 - 99.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Rhyperior Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 340-402 (84.1 - 99.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Rhyperior Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Bronzong: 326-384 (96.4 - 113.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Went to do a few matches. Thoughts on things I tested so far: (Not including gimmick mons like LVL 1 trollmons)

Shaymin: This is a bit broken, though it can be easy to wear down, even if you have Synthesis.

Escavalier: As I expected, great ass mon. Knock Off cripples shit, and Megahorn and Iron Head do massive damage. Drill Run to hit more things than it already can with Dark/Bug/Steel coverage, it's just great.

Azelf: I love this thing. It's a very good lead in my opinion. I run Taunt/Zen Headbutt/Stealth Rock/U-Turn personally, though a lot of others seem to run offensive variants.

Delphox: Ehh... It does do a lot of damage, though it's easy to wear down with Physical attackers. Then again I didn't run Grass Knot, maybe my experience would be better if I used that.

Dugtrio: Won 2 games thanks to this guy. Good trapper, though it has issues with ghosts and it's frail as all fuck.

Clawitzer: Like this guy. It's kind of like a worse Mega Blastoise, and without Blastoise in this meta, Clawitzer has a very fine niche.

Yanmega: Great late game cleaner. Frail as fuck though.

Sharpedo: Same as Yanmega.

Moltres: Pretty good. Owns Esca and can handle Shaymin nicely.

Kyurem: Damn good, nearly suspect worthy. Only flaws are that it's weaknesses are common in the tier, and that hurts Kyurem's potential (short) success in the tier.

Lilligant: Actually a bit shocked. Did pretty well, especially since I run Sub over Sleep Powder. Other grasses are better, but hey wasn't all that bad.

Rhyperior: Fucking great. The weakness policy set is actually pretty great, hits hard, and it can take hits from priority too, which is nice.

Milotic: Love this thing. Offensive variants are very strong, they can nab some needed KOs. Being able to survive an Exploud Boomburst at full HP is a neat accomplishment.

Raikou: Great ass Pokemon. Suspect worthy, mainly with the CM set. I even bluffed a Scarf once, which was great.

Toxicroak: Interesting. Boosted Gunk Shots can even dent a lot to Cofagrigus, which is fucking huge.

(Will come back to test my other teams and see my thoughts on the mons used)

What I will test next (Not in order, of course):
(Slightly long list)
Dragalgae
Gallade
Sceptile
Froslass
Zoroark
Gourgeist
Slurpuff
Linoone
Swellow
Jellicent
Mismagius
Emboar
Reuniclus
Sableye
Cresselia
Dusclops
Claydol
Drapion
Medicham
Druddigon
Seismitoad
Articuno
Banette
Abomasnow
Shuckle
Hariyama (Theorymonning that a Thick Fat AV set can check Kyurem)
Pangoro
Exploud
Venomoth
Durant
Cofagrigus
Combusken
Aromatisse

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll throw in my thoughts on two new things I've tested so far:

Dragalge @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Tail

Someone else posted about this thing on the previous page but here's the set I was using when trying this thing. Dragalge has a pretty unique typing and nice special bulk, which makes it a pretty cool Assault Vest user imo. This thing can check threats such as Shaymin, Raikou, and the like thanks to its nice special bulk and good defensive typing. It has a nice set of resistances to use, and 97 Special Attack is kinda lacking but nonetheless passable to hit back with. Draco Meteor is decently strong coming off of Dragalge, and Sludge Bomb can be used to hit Shaymin; the poison chance is really nice too. Focus Blast is largely there to hit Steel-types and Rhyperior, backing up Draco Meteor and Sludge Bomb mostly. Dragon Tail is a move I really like to use on Dragalge, so it can phaze the opponent's team (works very well with hazards), and in general forces out Pokemon unless it's Aromatisse or Slurpuff, which Dragalge can hit with Sludge Bomb. Overall though this thing has been pretty neat as a tank for me, and I really like using it. If and when this thing gets Adaptability though I'll love it even more.

Clawitzer @ Life Orb
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

This thing is a really good breaker. Mega Launcher makes all of Clawitzer's aura and pulse moves pretty powerful, and coming off of 120 Special Attack, Clawitzer can do quite a lot of damage. Its movepool provides it excellent overall coverage, and with these two traits combined, Clawitzer isn't very easy to wall. Water Pulse sound pretty silly, but Mega Launcher boosts it to a respectable 90 Base Power, which is the same as Surf, except Water Pulse also has more PP and a confusion chance. Aura Sphere hits Kyurem pretty hard, while Dark Pulse smacks around most Psychic- and Ghost-types that run rampant in RU. Dark and Fighting in general also have great coverage. Ice Beam is there to hit Dragon- and Grass-types like Druddigon, Sceptile, and Shaymin that might try to come in on Clawitzer. This thing is a pretty cool breaker, and its power gives it a pretty good niche here.

I plan on testing more but just a couple of thoughts.

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yanmega is fun as fuck to run =]

Yanmega @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Specs Tinted Lens is such a great wallbreaker and after Stealth Rocks and a layer of Spikes it can break through a lot of really annoying walls that would otherwise be pretty difficult to handle. A lot of Pokemon that expect to comfortably switch into a bug buzz find themselves suffering as a result of their mistake, and Escavalier are common switchins that are punished by the power of SpecsLens Yanmega. Bug Buzz has the aditional ability to hit through Substitute which can be really beneficial when facing Substitute abusers.

Yanmega is also great at ripping through poorly built Trick Room teams in a similar way to Zororark. By simply spamming Bug Buzz you can tear through common Pokemon like Reuniclus, Slowking, and, Abomasnow. As an added benefit, opponents will often switch in there only Pokemon that resist Bug Buzz; typically Escavalier and Cofagrigus both of which are typically 2HKOd depending on the spread.

Obviously coverage is mostly redundant when you don't have to worry about attacks not being very effective, for this reason I decided to run U-turn for predicted switches and Tailwind because it's a pretty clutch move and can be really helpful lategame if your opponent has you in a corner with a speedy threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)