Metagame NP: RU Stage -1: Message to Oglemi, Nails, and Honko (VENOMOTH STOLEN FROM US))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Defog
- Low Kick
- Knock Off
- Leaf Storm

This is a set I'm still working on, because I want a reliable way to remove entry hazards without stacking stealth rock weaknesses or using Gligar. Shiftry and Skuntank are the main 2 choices, but i like Shiftry's typing and movepool, so I decided to give it a shot. The weird part of this set is Low Kick, the main reason i put it there is to hit Kyurem, though I did consider a lot of different choices in that slot, and I think its something that can be experimented with a lot. Knock Off is a super strong STAB move that doesn't afraid of anything, while leaf Storm lets you actually hurt Milotic and Rhyperior. Shiftry isn't an amazing top tier RU Pokemon by any means, but I think the utility of being a hazard remover that isnt that vulnerable is a niche that's worth exploring!

So, does anyone have experience with Shiftry to help me out a bit? Is it shit and im wasting my time?
I've been using Shiftry a fair amount on the laddder and tbh Low Kick is only really useful for catching Kyurem on switch ins. I much prefer Sucker Punch on that slot as the combination of Knock Off + Sucker Punch is a guaranteed OHKO after SR, as is Low Kick for that matter. However, Sucker Punch has priority. It also is a guaranteed OHKO on Yanmega and has an 83% chance to OHKO Moltres after a switch in on SR. Obviously not putting this thing forward as a counter, or even really a check but for a last ditch effort it is there. Shiftry can be good, but that is more because people aren't aware of what it does a lot of the time. However I have cleaned up games with Sucker Punch, strong priority is really good.

Hey guys any thoughts on Tyrantrum and Dragalge? I foresee Tyrantrum being pretty scary with a band or Dragon dance set
I've used dragon dance tyrantrum, and it simply... never does anything. I used both sub and no sub variants, but both were below average tbh. No sub with a lum berry was definitely better, as it lets tyrantrum run more coverage moves, but it still wasn't great. On sub DD, I originally ran rock slide + dragon claw, but dragon claw does nothing (except hit druddigon harder I guess). I replaced it with crunch, as it is actually pretty powerful with the strong jaw boost, and hits bronzong and other Pokemon that take rock slide easily for good damage. Earthquake is another option, but I chose crunch almost purely for bronzong, cos its annoying af. On DD 3 attacks, you would want to run both eq and crunch alongside stone edge, which provides you with good coverage. However, tyrantrum isn't as strong as you need it to be in a lot of situations, and its sub par speed is an annoyance. Its also incredibly hard to set up, because it really does not like taking special hits, and hates status.

I've seen a few people using scarf, which definitely seems better, as it doesn't require the extra turn of setup, and you get 4 slots for coverage moves., which is very useful. Not gonna speak much on this, however, as I haven't used it myself.

tyrantrum will get better when/if rock head is released, as that gives it a very strong head smash with no recoil, which further improves the scarf set, and gives you a nuke with banded head smash / outrage.

So, I've been using Haunter a bit on my RU team, and he is a golden fit. He is a regular scarfer, and works incredibly well in breaking stallteams. A single example is this one, where the opponent had the upper hand for a while (I did misplays, big deal. I'm no megapro), but once Haunter got going, he simply had no ways to recover.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rubeta-107132319

Haunter @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Trick
- Destiny Bond

I want to underline that Haunter remains a good stallbreaker in this gen as well, well atleast so far, and he can still clean up as usual at the end against offensive teams.

I've used dragon dance tyrantrum, and it simply... never does anything. I used both sub and no sub variants, but both were below average tbh. No sub with a lum berry was definitely better, as it lets tyrantrum run more coverage moves, but it still wasn't great. On sub DD, I originally ran rock slide + dragon claw, but dragon claw does nothing (except hit druddigon harder I guess). I replaced it with crunch, as it is actually pretty powerful with the strong jaw boost, and hits bronzong and other Pokemon that take rock slide easily for good damage. Earthquake is another option, but I chose crunch almost purely for bronzong, cos its annoying af. On DD 3 attacks, you would want to run both eq and crunch alongside stone edge, which provides you with good coverage. However, tyrantrum isn't as strong as you need it to be in a lot of situations, and its sub par speed is an annoyance. Its also incredibly hard to set up, because it really does not like taking special hits, and hates status.

I've seen a few people using scarf, which definitely seems better, as it doesn't require the extra turn of setup, and you get 4 slots for coverage moves., which is very useful. Not gonna speak much on this, however, as I haven't used it myself.

tyrantrum will get better when/if rock head is released, as that gives it a very strong head smash with no recoil, which further improves the scarf set, and gives you a nuke with banded head smash / outrage.
Is a band set currently with Head Smash viable cuz even though there is recoil I normally run max Hp to absorb it better. In UU already the power of Head Smash is very very scary freaking stuff Nidoking and Mienshao which are normally an offensive teams better checks to it get straight up OHKOED by the sheer power.

How do people feel about Sableye and Kyu? I personally think these two pokes are great in UU, not sure as to why it's in RU.

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
Not sure if anyone has posted about this yet but I've been using standard support Aromatisse on a Bulky Offensive team and the support that it provides is absolutely game changing. It's basically very similar to the way Clefable is being used in OU currently to check a ton of offensive threats thanks to bulk and typing and using Wish / Aromatherapy to support the team.

Here's a replay of a match that I just had: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rubeta-107185717
Very close match, made a couple of silly plays but Aromatisse was able to keep me one step ahead of my opponent the entire match and really ended up being the difference. I'd definitely recommend that people start using this thing to support their offensive teams n_n

Not sure if anyone has posted about this yet but I've been using standard support Aromatisse on a Bulky Offensive team and the support that it provides is absolutely game changing. It's basically very similar to the way Clefable is being used in OU currently to check a ton of offensive threats thanks to bulk and typing and using Wish / Aromatherapy to support the team.

Here's a replay of a match that I just had: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rubeta-107185717
Very close match, made a couple of silly plays but Aromatisse was able to keep me one step ahead of my opponent the entire match and really ended up being the difference. I'd definitely recommend that people start using this thing to support their offensive teams n_n
Solid work, but the only time I faced Aromatisse it was setup fod for my Cresselia even though it too carried Calm Mind. If you didn't already know, Psyshock Calm Minders > Non Psyshock Calm Minders.

If only Aromatisse wasn't weak to Durant, Escavalier, Drapion and Cobalion's STAB...

Aromatisse is also a great Trick Room setup with its ability, Aroma Veil which: "protects the Pokémon with this Ability and its allies from the effects of Taunt, Torment, Encore, Disable, Heal Block and Attract."

Other good Trick Roomers would be Cresselia, Cofagrigus, Reunclicus, Slowking, Audino, Misdreavus, Uxie, Gourgeist, Carbink, Malamar, Claydol and plenty of others. With powerful sweepers like the classic, gen 5 RU power houses Escavalier, Marowak and Rampardos.

Last edited:
Aromatisse is also a great Trick Room setup with its ability, Aroma Veil which: "protects the Pokémon with this Ability and its allies from the effects of Taunt, Torment, Encore, Disable, Heal Block and Attract."
Sadly that's not how it works, it only protects allies in double and triple battles.

Cobalion @ Expert Belt
Ability: Justified
EVs: 228 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef / 24 HP
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire / Ice / Grass / Ground / Rock]
- Volt Switch​

I was initially setting out to build a mixed Cobalion with Hidden Power Fire because Escavalier was a problem to my team, who would see that coming? However, becuase of how obnoxiously bulky Assault Vest Escavalier is and how weak Hidden Powers are now it took 196 EVs in Special Attack, far too many to make it worth while. So I went with a full special set. The Hidden Powers all hit different things and should really be matched to the team. Hidden Power Fire for Escavalier, Ice for Gligar, Grass for Gastrodon and Rhyperior (Same power as Focus Blast), Ground for Fire- and Electric-types, and Rock for Moltres. Focus Blast has the base power as Close Combat, but instead of lowering defenses it can miss, with the EVs it's a guaranteed OHKO on 0/0 Kyurem and 52/0 after SR. Flash Canon has the same base power as Iron Head so expect it to hit about as hard. Volt Switch is nice to scout and generally complements its coverage. I think it is often not appreciated that Cobalion has the same Special Attack and Attack. This set functions as a Specially offensive pivot with Volt Switch, and its great coverage. I guess a Life Orb could be used, but to allow Cobalion to function consistently throughout the game Life Orb recoil on top of hazards are really detrimental to its longevity.

it affects the user with aroma veil as well. the in game description isn't very good.
Thank you for clarifying this, I've seen Taunt not affect Aromatisse through my own eyes.

If you need more proof that Aroma Veil ignores Taunt: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-107259423

Chenkvosky it's odd you suggest a Special Cobalion that isn't a Stealth Rock supporter(with Volt Switch as pivot) since I see more Sweeper Cobalions in the form of physical(maybe because Swords Dance is a great booster and Close Combat just packs so much power?). Although, it does have plenty of toys to play with. Swords Dance, Magnet Rise, Calm Mind, Rock Polish, Taunt, Work Up, Iron Defense, Hone Claws, Thunder Wave, Roar, Psyche Up, Reflect, Stealth Rock and even Rest + Sleep Talk.

Last edited:
I've been running a defensive gligar as a tanky support with a lot of success.
252 defense/252hp/4 attack Impish Eviolite (can put 4 into Special Defense if you want).
Defog, Roost, Knock Off, Toxic.

This is manly used to remove hazards (although my team is not hindered by them), and to prevent the numerous physical pokemon to wreck my team. Also, it helps to remove any threatening/annoying items the enemy might have with knockoff. Roost and toxic are used more for stalling purposes.

Stall/semi-stall teams seem to be very effective this gen like everyone said, but so is the very opposite side of the spectrum - Hyper Offense, due to all the threatening sweepers lurking around, like Moltres, Delphox, Slurpuff, Yanmega, Sharpedo, Hitmonlee, Azelf, Kyurem, Shaymin, and Tornadus, just to name a few. HO tends to do the best against balanced/more offensive teams, but if you build correctly, they can easily smash past most stall teams. Plus, HO matches are usually over in 10-15 turns, so you don't have to spend 15 minutes on each match :P

Here is one setup I have been using to quite some success:

Uxie @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Memento
-Stealth Rock/Thunder Wave

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 28 HP /252 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Belly Drum
-Play Rough
-Return
-Facade
The idea here is not to send in Uxie right away and set up Dual Screens, but to wait until AFTER checks are removed, such as steel types who avoid the OHKO by Slurpuff (though Slurpuff wins with screens up), common Taunt/Encore users, and to a lesser extent Defoggers. Afterwards, Uxie can easily set up Dual Screens, then Memento (or SR/TW if its still alive), paving the path for Slurpuff to set up. I haven't really put much consideration into Uxie's EVs. I currently have max defense investment, but max speed might be better, to outspeed fast Knock Off users and set up screens first.

At +6, Slurpuff basically wrecks everything. 6 turns with screens up is more than enough time to sweep. Even walls, such as Alomomola and Tangrowth are 2HKOed with maximum defense investment, and can basically do nothing back. With screens up, Slurpuff can take an Iron Head from things like Escavalier and Registeel, and a Gyro Ball from Bronzong, outspeed them, and 2HKO them back.

Aw, did Slurpuff get burned? Well, it gets *even stronger* (in most regards). After a burn/toxic, Facade reaches a sky high 140 BP, just 2 off from Play Rough - and - it is 100% accurate.

Basically, I didn't include Flamethrower because at +6, Play Rough far outdamages Flamethrower, even on 4x weak things like Escavalier. Finally, the 228 speed EVs is to outspeed Choice Scarf Coballion.

To complete this core, things that can get past things like Escavalier, Registeel, and Bronzong would be appreciated. Although Slurpuff beats them one-on-one, it's left with very little health afterwards, and there's still the possibility that screens won't be set up properly. Things like Moltres and Delphox are good partners.

Finally, something to clean up the mess afterwards (if your opponent's team somehow survived) would also be good, like Sharpedo.

Some calcs to all non-believers of Slurpuff's power:

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 387-456 (72.4 - 85.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 288-339 (71.2 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Escavalier: 223-263 (64.8 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Escavalier Iron Head vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff through Reflect: 168-198 (52.8 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Registeel: 163-192 (44.7 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (probably the closest thing to a check)

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Bronzong: 204-241 (60.3 - 71.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Of course, the main thing that counters this is to prevent Slurpuff from setting up in the first place. Taunt/Encore users are by far the best check to this duo, stopping Uxie's screens and Slurpuff's Belly Drum. Of course, that's what teammates are for, though I haven't found the perfect ones yet.

So, basically what I'm wondering is the the following:
-How has Hyper Offense's viability changed from gen 5, if at all?
-Is HO in RU more viable or less viable than in other tiers?
-Is HO an effective RU strategy?
-Is it a good or poor counter to stall?
-What are some other good HO cores/strategies?
-What are some good teammates for Slurpuff?

General thoughts?

Last edited:

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
Solid work, but the only time I faced Aromatisse it was setup fod for my Cresselia even though it too carried Calm Mind. If you didn't already know, Psyshock Calm Minders > Non Psyshock Calm Minders.

If only Aromatisse wasn't weak to Durant, Escavalier, Drapion and Cobalion's STAB...

Other good Trick Roomers would be Cresselia, Cofagrigus, Reunclicus, Slowking, Audino, Misdreavus, Uxie, Gourgeist, Carbink, Malamar, Claydol and plenty of others. With powerful sweepers like the classic, gen 5 RU power houses Escavalier, Marowak and Rampardos.
Yea I may have been a bit misleading with my Clefable comparison. I've just been using Wish / Protect / Aromatherapy / Moonblast to allow for more reliable team support since I don't really feel CM Aromatisse with just Moonblast is much of a threat offensively in this metagame. This allows you to just focus on passing Wishes to mons with better matchups. For example, if a Cress or Reuniclus is trying to setup CM's I can just pass to something like AV Escavalier to get it in safely and immediately threaten it out.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Stall/semi-stall teams seem to be very effective this gen like everyone said, but so is the very opposite side of the spectrum - Hyper Offense, due to all the threatening sweepers lurking around, like Moltres, Delphox, Slurpuff, Yanmega, Sharpedo, Hitmonlee, Azelf, Kyurem, Shaymin, and Tornadus, just to name a few. HO tends to do the best against balanced/more offensive teams, but if you build correctly, they can easily smash past most stall teams. Plus, HO matches are usually over in 10-15 turns, so you don't have to spend 15 minutes on each match :P

Here is one setup I have been using to quite some success:

Uxie @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Memento
-Stealth Rock/Thunder Wave

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 28 HP /252 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Belly Drum
-Play Rough
-Return
-Facade
The idea here is not to send in Uxie right away and set up Dual Screens, but to wait until AFTER checks are removed, such as steel types who avoid the OHKO by Slurpuff (though Slurpuff wins with screens up), common Taunt/Encore users, and to a lesser extent Defoggers. Afterwards, Uxie can easily set up Dual Screens, then Memento (or SR/TW if its still alive), paving the path for Slurpuff to set up. I haven't really put much consideration into Uxie's EVs. I currently have max defense investment, but max speed might be better, to outspeed fast Knock Off users and set up screens first.

At +6, Slurpuff basically wrecks everything. 6 turns with screens up is more than enough time to sweep. Even walls, such as Alomomola and Tangrowth are 2HKOed with maximum defense investment, and can basically do nothing back. With screens up, Slurpuff can take an Iron Head from things like Escavalier and Registeel, and a Gyro Ball from Bronzong, outspeed them, and 2HKO them back.

Aw, did Slurpuff get burned? Well, it gets *even stronger* (in most regards). After a burn/toxic, Facade reaches a sky high 140 BP, just 2 off from Play Rough - and - it is 100% accurate.

Basically, I didn't include Flamethrower because at +6, Play Rough far outdamages Flamethrower, even on 4x weak things like Escavalier. Finally, the 228 speed EVs is to outspeed Choice Scarf Coballion.

To complete this core, things that can get past things like Escavalier, Registeel, and Bronzong would be appreciated. Although Slurpuff beats them one-on-one, it's left with very little health afterwards, and there's still the possibility that screens won't be set up properly. Things like Moltres and Delphox are good partners.

Finally, something to clean up the mess afterwards (if your opponent's team somehow survived) would also be good, like Sharpedo.

Some calcs to all non-believers of Slurpuff's power:

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 387-456 (72.4 - 85.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 288-339 (71.2 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Escavalier: 223-263 (64.8 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Escavalier Iron Head vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff through Reflect: 168-198 (52.8 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Registeel: 163-192 (44.7 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (probably the closest thing to a check)

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Bronzong: 204-241 (60.3 - 71.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Of course, the main thing that counters this is to prevent Slurpuff from setting up in the first place. Taunt/Encore users are by far the best check to this duo, stopping Uxie's screens and Slurpuff's Belly Drum. Of course, that's what teammates are for, though I haven't found the perfect ones yet.

So, basically what I'm wondering is the the following:
-How has Hyper Offense's viability changed from gen 5, if at all?
-Is HO in RU more viable or less viable than in other tiers?
-Is HO an effective RU strategy?
-Is it a good or poor counter to stall?
-What are some other good HO cores/strategies?
-What are some good teammates for Slurpuff?

General thoughts?
I think it's important to mention sableye as a potential stop to this guy too. As it is to any physical non-fire type attacker without priority subs.

I think it's important to mention sableye as a potential stop to this guy too. As it is to any physical non-fire type attacker without priority subs.
Sableye can stop it with taunt before Belly Drum, but afterwards, it's pretty much dead, as burn really doesn't do anything. Really, its no better than any other Taunt user that's faster than pre-unburden Slurpuff.

+6 252 Atk burned Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Sableye: 535-630 (175.9 - 207.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Sableye can stop it with taunt before Belly Drum, but afterwards, it's pretty much dead, as burn really doesn't do anything. Really, its no better than any other Taunt user that's faster than pre-unburden Slurpuff.

+6 252 Atk burned Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Sableye: 535-630 (175.9 - 207.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
However, you are letting it get stalled by other stuff like alomomola and teammates like that. Sableye has been sacrificed, but other teammates on a balanced/stall team can should be able to hold off a burned slurpuff. Besides, crippling a win-condition seems to be a fine way to deal with it.
As we've already worked out, we don't have much better checks existing in the tier :P

However, you are letting it get stalled by other stuff like alomomola and teammates like that. Sableye has been sacrificed, but other teammates on a balanced/stall team can should be able to hold off a burned slurpuff. Besides, crippling a win-condition seems to be a fine way to deal with it.
As we've already worked out, we don't have much better checks existing in the tier :P
Yeah, Wish/Protect does stall out Slurpuff in the end. However, something that I realized was even a better counter is Doublade. After Slurpuff is burned, Slurpuff does a pitiful amount of damage against it, while Doublade can set up easily to +6. However, Duoblade is quite uncommon, and pairing it up with Sableye is even rarer.

+6 252+ Atk burned Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 54-64 (16.7 - 19.8%) -- guaranteed 6HKO

Yanmega: I'm totally disappointed with him, Speed Boost Yanmega anyways is probably the best set to go, able to sweep offensive and bulky offense teams. I have tested a few Specs Yanmega @ Tinted Lens and is kinda meh because is not really fast so loses in 1vs1 against a lot of popular threats such Raikou, Tornadus, Cobalion, Delphox etc so cant break offensive teams and neither defensive ones because cant break Registeel, AV Esca, Milotic, Aromatisse, Flareon uhh when you're thinking on using him against balance teams then is when you remember that also is x4 weak to Stealth Rock which sucks because the spinners/xatu/defog mons are average.

Stall: Defensive teams in ladder are always solid teams because you're playing big part of the time no-well builded teams with niche mons but there is a lot of big threats for stall teams, more even than last gen tbh such NP Mismagius, CM Delphox, Physical Tornadus, NP Azelf, AV Escavalier, Dugtrio teams, SD Taunt Cobalion, Sableye, still Moltres etc
Also Knock Off spam is a massive pain for defensive teams in RU because this tier lacks of mega evo defensive to sponge knock off unlike OU/UU which have great defensive mega evos like Zard-X/Venusaur in OU and Blastoise/Ampharos/Aggron in UU.

Hitmontop: only set that I would use is with Foresight; just focused on spin, otherwise is another mediocre spinner w/o chance to spin against ghost types.

Hey guys any thoughts on Tyrantrum and Dragalge? I foresee Tyrantrum being pretty scary with a band or Dragon dance set
Dragalge will be a real wrecking force when its hidden ability is released. I'm really looking forward to it.

I've been testing another generic bulky powerful Rock type, and its actually had good success.

Rhyperior @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Ice Punch

One of the best Weakness Policy abusers, this set is similar to Electricstorm252's Weakness Policy abusing set. Rhyperior just has insane physical bulk, taking even many super effective hits with ease. Seriously, just look at these calcs:

252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 310-366 (83.3 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Cobalion Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 184-217 (49.4 - 58.3%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO

Two very powerful physical attackers that have STAB SE moves, not even OHKOing. I know there are alot more examples, but I wouldn't want to flood this post with calcs.

Anyways, when luring in a SE attack (hopefully Physical, though Rhyp's hearty HP lets it take special hits), it can Rock Polish easily, getting a Shell Smash without the Defense lowering. And trust me, you do NOT want to face a monster with 758 Attack and 392 Speed with EdgeQuake STAB. It's just so easy to use, and its very unexpected.

Earthquake is just an amazing STAB, destroying everyone in its path. I prefer Rock Slide over Stone Ege bc bs misses, though seriously, the only reason you use Rock Slide over EQ is to hit resists (Bug and Flying get Wrecked) and Levitators (Azelf and others get wrecked as well), making Rock Slide the better option. Ice Punch hits pokemon that just happen to resist EdgeQuake (See: Virizion), but most notably, Gligar. STAB on EdgeQuake just is so effective, along with the coverage in Ice Punch.

However, even though one of Rhyp's best checks, Slowbro, is hidden away in UU, two huge checks to Rhyp are still in the game, Bronzong and Gligar. Bronzong gets hit by Fire Punch, but it requires getting rid of Ice Punch, which hits Gligar. There are other walls, such as Alomomola, that Rhyp which it had another coverage move, but it can't afford to give up. Basically, it has pretty bad 4MSS.

Even with its few flaws, Rhyperior still destroys everything while taking a SE hit, which makes it a pretty good sweeper/tank should your team need one :)

EDIT: Rhyperior in Action :o

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rubeta-107296414

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rubeta-107350530

Last edited:
not sure if anyone has already mention this pokemon, but dumping my skuntank set here. Skuntank provides not only defog support, but taunt disrupter and even revenge killer. I've been laddering with this set and it's amazing. I opted Poison Jab over Pursuit because I prefer a reliable stab, but Pursuit can be considered. any comments on the set?

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 SDef / 8 HP
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Taunt
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
OUPL Champion
Yanmega: I'm totally disappointed with him, Speed Boost Yanmega anyways is probably the best set to go, able to sweep offensive and bulky offense teams. I have tested a few Specs Yanmega @ Tinted Lens and is kinda meh because is not really fast so loses in 1vs1 against a lot of popular threats such Raikou, Tornadus, Cobalion, Delphox etc so cant break offensive teams and neither defensive ones because cant break Registeel, AV Esca, Milotic, Aromatisse, Flareon uhh when you're thinking on using him against balance teams then is when you remember that also is x4 weak to Stealth Rock which sucks because the spinners/xatu/defog mons are average.

Stall: Defensive teams in ladder are always solid teams because you're playing big part of the time no-well builded teams with niche mons but there is a lot of big threats for stall teams, more even than last gen tbh such NP Mismagius, CM Delphox, Physical Tornadus, NP Azelf, AV Escavalier, Dugtrio teams, SD Taunt Cobalion, Sableye, still Moltres etc
Also Knock Off spam is a massive pain for defensive teams in RU because this tier lacks of mega evo defensive to sponge knock off unlike OU/UU which have great defensive mega evos like Zard-X/Venusaur in OU and Blastoise/Ampharos/Aggron in UU.

Hitmontop: only set that I would use is with Foresight; just focused on spin, otherwise is another mediocre spinner w/o chance to spin against ghost types.
All right, I dunno what the problem with yanmega is, because he simply wrecks everything.
AV escavalier:
252 SpA Choice Specs Yanmega Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Escavalier: 109-129 (31.6 - 37.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
Risks flinch, only switches in once, no reliable recovery

Registeel:
252 SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 108-130 (29.6 - 35.7%) -- 0.3% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery- I'll admit this one is sort of a stop

Milotic:
252 SpA Choice Specs Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Milotic: 169-199 (42.8 - 50.5%) -- 44.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
pretty strong imo

Aromatisse:
252 SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aromatisse: 158-186 (38.9 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
This thing is really pressured to keep wish protecting, and can get some sp. def drops too.

Flareon:
252 SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Flareon: 150-178 (44.9 - 53.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
It's a pretty clean 2hko.

These are practically the bulkiest mons in the tier to take this one on. Ony 4x Resistances even matter, and that's very dangerous.

Also, AV escavalier is not a problem to handle at all, banded is the real nuke here which is difficult to deal with.

Jonater said:
not sure if anyone has already mention this pokemon, but dumping my skuntank set here. Skuntank provides not only defog support, but taunt disrupter and even revenge killer. I've been laddering with this set and it's amazing. I opted Poison Jab over Pursuit because I prefer a reliable stab, but Pursuit can be considered. any comments on the set?

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 SDef / 8 HP
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Taunt
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
I think it was here that I mentioned it, but it never really sparked much of a conversation. I've been using a Defog set also, but with Jolly max Speed and max Attack and Pursuit over Poison Jab (I've been thinking about slapping Crunch over Pursuit though for something on the team to hit Reuniclus reliably). Haven't tried a bulkier type of spread though, so I might give this set a shot on some teams.

In regards to Slurpuff though, I've been seeing people putting Thief on it as their 3rd move to hit Bronzong specifically. Now this is more of a mechanics question if anything, but if Unburden activates and you receive a new item does it act like Acrobatics and the boost is gone? Or do you still keep the boost. This is just something that hasn't come to my attention until Slurpuff happened.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think it was here that I mentioned it, but it never really sparked much of a conversation. I've been using a Defog set also, but with Jolly max Speed and max Attack and Pursuit over Poison Jab (I've been thinking about slapping Crunch over Pursuit though for something on the team to hit Reuniclus reliably).

In regards to Slurpuff though, I've been seeing people putting Thief on it as their 3rd move to hit Bronzong specifically. Now this is more of a mechanics question if anything, but if Unburden activates and you receive a new item does it act like Acrobatics and the boost is gone? Or do you still keep the boost. This is just something that hasn't come to my attention until Slurpuff happened.
You lose the boost if the item is stolen, but when you kill a Pokemon with thief, the item is not stolen (iirc, someone correct me if I'm wrong). So basically although you would lose unburden if you stole an item, as long as you kill the target, you will not lose your unburden boost (once again someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It is interesting that Nidoqueen will not be joining the beginning of RU this time around. On the other hand, Kyurem being around in the spotlight is very scary.

Also:
| 95 | Latias | 1.458% |
Is... is this a typo? Please!?!

molk edit: its because latias moved up to OU during the 3 month period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)