Other The OU Theorymon Project (CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Personally, I think the Assault Vest would work wonders for him, and I have this set in specific in mind for him:

Luxray @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 214 Def / 44 SDef
Impish Nature
- Wild Charge
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Superpower

With this, he can check important prominent threats that I mentioned before, such as Talonflame, Aegislash, and Bisharp, but after some research, I found out that he can also check significant threats such as Gengar, Dragonite, non-Mega Gyarados, Greninja, (Mega) Tyranitar, Deoxys-S, and even Mega Pinsir before a Swords Dance, and can hit them all supereffectively. Here are some calcs as proof, and yes, they include the Dark typing:

-1 252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 214+ Def Luxray: (34.6 - 40.6%) guaranteed 3HKO

-1 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 214+ Def Luxray: (38.4 - 45.6%) guaranteed 3HKO

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 214+ Def Luxray: (81.3 - 96.4%) guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 44 SpD Assault Vest Luxray: (55.4 - 65.3%) guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252+ Atk Gyarados Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 214+ Def Luxray: (37.3 - 44.5%) guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 44 SpD Assault Vest Luxray: (42 - 49.7%) guaranteed 3HKO

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Deoxys-S Superpower vs. 252 HP / 214+ Def Luxray: (55.4 - 65.3%) guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 214+ Def Luxray: (40.1 - 47.2%) guaranteed 3HKO

-1 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 214+ Def Luxray: (47.8 - 56.5%) 85.9% chance to 2HKO

As you can see, with Intimidate backing him up, Luxray can be surprisingly good at living hits from many top OU threats, even taking an Earthquake or two from them like a champ.

Edit:

In case if anyone was wondering, the 44 EVs in special defense are so Greninja will never 2HKO with Life Orb Hydro Pump.

Last edited:

Valmanway

wow

i get that gyarados isnt kyurem black in terms of attack stat but still, wow.
Now that you mention it, I probably should add a calc for Kyurem-B, just to show how bulky this set is:

-1 252+ Atk Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 252 HP / 214+ Def Luxray: (42 - 49.7%) guaranteed 3HKO

Now that you mention it, I probably should add a calc for Kyurem-B, just to show how bulky this set is:

-1 252+ Atk Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 252 HP / 214+ Def Luxray: (42 - 49.7%) guaranteed 3HKO
...although it usually spams EP and outrage is usually seen on banded sets

Valmanway

True, but this shows that you really need to set up or use an item to at least score a 2HKO on him. For example, Kyurem-B's Earth Power fails to 2HKO this set unless you have a Life Orb, and that's considering neutral max special attack (which he'd never run in the first place, at least I wouldn't anyway), and to my knowledge, Outrage isn't very common anymore considering the fact that Fairy-types like Azumarill and Mega Mawile can make the move very punishable if used, and Dragon Claw fails to 2HKO even with Choice Band and positive max attack investment.

...although they do the same amount of damage so that's a moot point

252 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 44 SpD Assault Vest Luxray: 144-170 (39.5 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

and kyurem doesn't even run max sp.a

Personally, I think the Assault Vest would work wonders for him, and I have this set in specific in mind for him:

Luxray @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 214 Def / 44 SDef
Impish Nature
- Wild Charge
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Superpower

With this, he can check important prominent threats that I mentioned before, such as Talonflame, Aegislash, and Bisharp, but after some research, I found out that he can also check significant threats such as Gengar, Dragonite, non-Mega Gyarados, Greninja, (Mega) Tyranitar, Deoxys-S, and even Mega Pinsir before a Swords Dance, and can hit them all supereffectively. Here are some calcs as proof, and yes, they include the Dark typing:

-1 252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 214+ Def Luxray: (34.6 - 40.6%) guaranteed 3HKO

-1 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 214+ Def Luxray: (38.4 - 45.6%) guaranteed 3HKO

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 214+ Def Luxray: (81.3 - 96.4%) guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 44 SpD Assault Vest Luxray: (55.4 - 65.3%) guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252+ Atk Gyarados Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 214+ Def Luxray: (37.3 - 44.5%) guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 44 SpD Assault Vest Luxray: (42 - 49.7%) guaranteed 3HKO

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Deoxys-S Superpower vs. 252 HP / 214+ Def Luxray: (55.4 - 65.3%) guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 214+ Def Luxray: (40.1 - 47.2%) guaranteed 3HKO

-1 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 214+ Def Luxray: (47.8 - 56.5%) 85.9% chance to 2HKO

As you can see, with Intimidate backing him up, Luxray can be surprisingly good at living hits from many top OU threats, even taking an Earthquake or two from them like a champ.
Let's'talk about that bulky spread, you may forgot to be efficient. Luxray need to switch in those threats, and for few or them that become an issue, i think a +1 pinsir EQ can OHKO it and don't fear too much a physical electric stab if it is not invested. Howerver i admit it still able to check some them, but what the point after ? Nobody will leave their mon dying against luxray, they will obvioulsy switch ... And the matter is, in the meanwhile, Luxray can't do anything : it will lack power to fear the switch, may be stoped by common threats such hyppowdon or landorus, and can't even support its team by a way or an other. Last but not least, it can't get back its life, that mean it will be able to switch 1 or 2 times max in its checked threats. If you still want to try it, go on,in my case i think it still has not the key of the OU room.

-1 252+ Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Luxray in Sand: 320-380 (87.9 - 104.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
I take back what I said
Its in sand too
-1 252+ Atk Sand Force Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 214+ Def Luxray in Sand: 332-392 (91.2 - 107.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

The set posted

On the other hand
0 Atk Luxray Ice Fang vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Garchomp: 196-232 (54.7 - 64.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It can't do much back tho

Luxray should abuse a scarf if you ask me. Fast Electric moves with Intimidate are naturally great for getting Pinsir, CharY, Talonflame, Manaphy, Greninja and Keldeo. Crunch hits the Latis. Superpower gets Terrakion. And Ice Fang gets Landorus and Thundurus. And if you predict a switch that's what Volt Change is for. This would effectively play out as a bulkier and physical Mega Manectric. Paired with Landorus-T you get a double Intimidate VoltTurn core and Lando takes the Ground, Fighting and Bug hits for you. Luxray can also survive a +1 resisted Sucker Punch from Bisharp and handle him with Superpower.

Well, I guess since Luxray doesn't get Bulk-Up (Derp, forgot to check. :/), and that was the bulk of my set that was deleted (Goddammit Barb!), then I guess I'll have to give a real opinion of Luxray. In light of the conversations going around, I have to say that either the pivoting Volt-Switch or AV sets are the best, so I'll go with AV (I'm biased. XD):

Luxray @Assault Vest
EV's: 252 HP, Whatever defenses you like (I prefer 152 Def, 100 Sp. Def, just because of Assault vest), 4 Atk
Careful/Impish Nature
-Wild Charge
-Superpower
-Crunch
-Iron Tail/Fire Fang/Ice Fang

Ok, Wild Charge and Crunch for STAB, and Superpower for Steels and T-tar/Bisharp. Iron Tail for Fairies, Fire Fang for Bug coverage and the nice damage on some 4x weak Steel types (Scizor and Ferrothorn), or Ice Fang for Ground types.

I hope Luxray is actually changed, that typing is just so natural!

Last edited:
The fall of Dugtrio is always a good thing for luxray, although its bulk and speed drag it down, even with intimidate/AV. A solid base 120 attack, good coverage, a nice ability, and a good typing are nice, but it's very easily revenged by many common threats.

Choice scarf deals massive damage and is probably the best set as of now. It is still slower than base 130s by 1 point, but the only things that hurt you at that point are deoxys-s and aerodactyl.

Assault vest is pretty nice, to have bulk on both sides of the spectrum. You're still OHKO'd by landorus's earth power even with max hp investment, but that can't be helped. You can tank special hits better, so that's nice

COUNTERS/CHECKS

Mawile has an intimidate of its own and uses Luxray as set-up fodder. If it really wants to, play rough OHKO's 252 HP 212+ def luxray at -1 after stealth rock
-1 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Luxray: 324-384 (89 - 105.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO -- You're going to have to invest some defense to be able to live. At that point, Wild Charge does ~25% max, so no.
Even that calc is unrealistic, as you will definitely switch in mawile on luxray, making mawile -0.

If Luxray doesn't use ice fang, Landorus puts Luxray's bulk to shame: 252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 44 SpD Assault Vest Luxray: 351-416 (96.4 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO -- It's either that or sacrificing defense.

And there are definitely more counters, but I won't list them here.

Luxray is one of those, "check two, but you can't check the other one" kind of pokemon. Its 80/79/79 defenses aren't doing it any favors, especially since it utilizes bulky offense with no recovery. However, what it does, it does well. Checking aegislash is very important, although kings shield is a problem for assault vest. It has a good typing, good abilities, can beat many top tier threats, although only a few at a time. One of those, perfect typing, abilities, movepool pokemon with a major stat letdown.

Valmanway

Let's'talk about that bulky spread, you may forgot to be efficient. Luxray need to switch in those threats, and for few or them that become an issue, i think a +1 pinsir EQ can OHKO it and don't fear too much a physical electric stab if it is not invested. Howerver i admit it still able to check some them, but what the point after ? Nobody will leave their mon dying against luxray, they will obvioulsy switch ... And the matter is, in the meanwhile, Luxray can't do anything : it will lack power to fear the switch, may be stoped by common threats such hyppowdon or landorus, and can't even support its team by a way or an other. Last but not least, it can't get back its life, that mean it will be able to switch 1 or 2 times max in its checked threats. If you still want to try it, go on,in my case i think it still has not the key of the OU room.
You make very good points, and you're entitled to your opinion, but the fact that Luxray can take on Pokemon so high on the OU viability ranking list shouldn't be overlooked. The ability to check significant threats such as Talonflame, Aegislash, and Deoxys-S simultaneously is quite a feat if you ask me, and despite only being possible with Intimidate, the ability to avoid 2HKOs from some Earthquakes, such as ones from Gyarados and Dragonite (both Adamant, mind you), even though they lack STAB, is simply amazing. And the ability to at least have a chance at OHKOing Talonflame, Bisharp, Deoxys-S after it uses Superpower, non-Mega Tyranitar, Gengar, Greninja, and non-Mega Gyarados, without any attack EVs, is still pretty impressive. And if you know they're gonna switch out, you can take advantage of that by switching to another teammate and do whatever you would normally do after that, or even nail the switch with a coverage move, so this set is also good at forcing switches, thus building up entry hazard damage. And I can see Volt Switch replacing Ice Fang if one desires it that badly, thus providing safer switches, and even though Dragonite will now not have to take an Ice Fang to the face, Volt Switch breaks Multiscale and allows you to switch into a teammate such as Mamoswine, thus resulting in not too much changing in the end. And as for lacking the ability to take repeated hits, his Intimidate works on more than one level, with his mere presence tempting Pokemon away from doing anything dangerous to the rest of your team, such as scaring a Talonflame into using U-turn to switch to their Ferrothorn expecting a Luxray switch, only to find that you instead decided to set up a Swords Dance with your Lucario and sweep from there. It's true that he can check any of them but not all of them, but he can be a one-time, guaranteed check/counter to these guys, maybe even two times depending on the situation, and that on its own is pretty significant.

Last edited:
Krookodile is bulkier than Luxray, has better speed, and has better STABs. Luxray resists Flying type attacks, but Mega Pinsir and Talonflame can hit Luxray harder with their other attacks than they can against Krookodile with their STABS. It baffles me that the people voting here thought that Krookodile with reliable recovery was not good enough to be viable in OU, but then they voted for Electric / Dark Luxray which is worse than Krookodile is without any buffs.

Krookodile is bulkier than Luxray, has better speed, and has better STABs. Luxray resists Flying type attacks, but Mega Pinsir and Talonflame can hit Luxray harder with their other attacks than they can against Krookodile with their STABS. It baffles me that the people voting here thought that Krookodile with reliable recovery was not good enough to be viable in OU, but then they voted for Electric / Dark Luxray which is worse than Krookodile is without any buffs.
You are comparing a utility counter with a physical tank, which have completely different roles. Krookodile cannot be used as a utility counter, but Luxray can be used as a physical tank.

Krookodile has better defenses yes, but it has no way of hitting Pinsir, Talonflame back hard without relying on Stone Edge. Krookodile lack resistance to steel which means it cannot stop +2 Bisharp nor can it switch into the rare Flash Cannon Aegislash as easily.

Luxray gets Volt Switch, which gives it momentum which Krookodile lacks. Thunder Wave is good to have for a defensive pokemon. To round it off Electric is arguably a better secondary type than Ground type in checking top threats

Last edited:
You are comparing a utility counter with a physical tank, which have completely different roles. Krookodile cannot be used as a utility counter, but Luxray can be used as a physical tank.
Stealth Rock, Taunt, Knock Off, and Dragon Tail sound like utility to me.
Krookodile has better defenses yes, but it has no way of hitting Pinsir, Talonflame back hard without relying on Stone Edge. Krookodile lack resistance to steel which means it cannot stop +2 Bisharp nor can it switch into the rare Flash Cannon Aegislash as easily.
If accuracy is such an issue, you can use Rock Slide which still hits harder than Wild Charge and without the recoil. As for Bisharp, Krookodile can run 52 speed EVs to outrun max speed Adament Bisharp and kill it first. And Flash Cannon Aegislash is, as you call it, rare. It is not worth using something inferior to counter an uncommon set. Krookodile doesn't have to worry about King's Shield which is much more common.
Luxray gets Volt Switch, which gives it momentum which Krookodile lacks. Thunder Wave is good to have for a defensive pokemon. To round it off Electric is arguably a better secondary type than Ground type in checking top threats
Luxray does have Volt Switch and Thunder Wave over Krookodile, but a Ground type can switch into those and force Luxray out. Electric type is not necessarily a better secondary type. Luxray is weak to Earthquake, and Krookodile gets an immunity to Electric type attacks and resists Rock type attacks. A resistance to Steel is not that important, and Flying types have other ways of damaging Luxray.

I'm really not seeing anything here that Luxray can't already do with just mono electric. If anything, the Dark typing seems to put him at a disadvantage against the things he's supposed to be checking.

Nice to know that he can generally deal well with Talonflame though. ANYTHING that can handle that menace is welcome in my book.

Valmanway

Well the reasoning behind why people would use Luxray over Krookodile is because Luxray has less weaknesses, a unique combination of resistances, and better coverage, as well as utility in Thunder Wave and Volt Switch, and then there's also Guts to punish things that want to burn or badly poison you. It's not so much that one is better than the other, it's more like each one has a niche over the other. It's kinda like comparing Mega Charizard X to Dragonite; they have many similarities, but they also have many differences.

does this actually get luxray out of NU? i don't think so? he's frail and slow as hell with like...no priority and with the typing he's...frail and slow as hell with no priority.

what exactly did we fix here?

Stealth Rock, Taunt, Knock Off, and Dragon Tail sound like utility to me.
You obviously don't understand the concept of a utility counter, which is a pokemon which can counter a large number of offensive threats, but not all at the same time. For a utility counter, the most important thing is that the stuff you want to check just be diverse and common as possible, and luxray does that better considering stuff like deo-s and thundurus(with superpower over focus blast) can 2hko krookodile with the right prediction but never for luxray. Krookodile is a physical tank at best but hippowdon and lando-t exist and both of them can take 2 shadow ball from aegislash, while krookodile is incapable of taking 3 hits from it by any case, just like the other 2 mentioned, which make its resistance rather pointless and the added weakness is more of a liability for krookodile On the other hand, no other electric type takes 2 hits from aegislash, psycho boost from deo-s, whereas luxray can, few dark types can survive return from pinsir etc, which sets it apart from its competitors

I'm really not seeing anything here that Luxray can't already do with just mono electric. If anything, the Dark typing seems to put him at a disadvantage against the things he's supposed to be checking.
While dark adds some unwanted weakness (notably fighting). Everything you switch into more easily with a dark type(deo-s, aegislash etc) fails to 2hko with their fighting coverage, so I'd say the benefits outweigh the harms.

EDIT@mood4food: checking one of the best offensive cores, countering 6 top rank threats are great to have, ain't it?

Tbh we should not be looking at luxray only from the advantage of gaining a dark type. Try to imagine a independent Electric/Dark type with an identical movepool, stats, abilities and see what it could do for the metagame.

Last edited:
Luxio needs about 30-35 more points of speed and Volt Tackle in order to make him OU viable. At least then we could slap a choice band on him and let him be the wallbreaker he's always wanted to be. If Lux had Volt Tackle he could tear apart Skarmory/Blissey/Chansey without breaking a sweat. That would be his niche, Dark typing would be rather so/so. As it does offer a resistance to Sucker Punch but makes him weak to Mach Punch and other fighting moves. He has Superpower to get past Ferrothorn and other Dark Types. Ice Fang would be a powerful option against Dragons and Crunch would be feared by all Ghosts and Psychics.
At 100 - 105 Speed he would outrun a good portion of the metagame, and with his excellent coverage he'd be feared.

252+ Atk Choice Band Luxray Volt Tackle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 403-475 (57.2 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Luxray Volt Tackle vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 350-414 (104.7 - 123.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Valmanway

Luxio needs about 30-35 more points of speed and Volt Tackle in order to make him OU viable. At least then we could slap a choice band on him and let him be the wallbreaker he's always wanted to be. If Lux had Volt Tackle he could tear apart Skarmory/Blissey/Chansey without breaking a sweat. That would be his niche, Dark typing would be rather so/so. As it does offer a resistance to Sucker Punch but makes him weak to Mach Punch and other fighting moves. He has Superpower to get past Ferrothorn and other Dark Types. Ice Fang would be a powerful option against Dragons and Crunch would be feared by all Ghosts and Psychics.
At 100 - 105 Speed he would outrun a good portion of the metagame, and with his excellent coverage he'd be feared.

252+ Atk Choice Band Luxray Volt Tackle vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 403-475 (57.2 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Luxray Volt Tackle vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 350-414 (104.7 - 123.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Not really important, but if Chansey were to predict Volt Tackle and go for Softboiled or Wish/Protect, then that recoil damage would spell out GG for Luxray. But yeah, I get the "no switching in or she dies" part.

Volt Tackle would help, but Wild Charge is already a pretty good STAB move, if inconvenient due to recoil (which Volt Tackle has more of, anyway.) It makes a decent difference in those calculations, but Chansey is 2HKO'd by CB/Guts Superpower anyway, and Skarmory is 2HKO'd by Wild Charge so long as it doesn't get to Roost (a few EV's in Speed are necessary, but speed creep could happen.) Base 120 Attack combined with a decent STAB option and good coverage ensure that he's not really lacking in power; in fact, if you so desire, you could probably throw him onto a regular OU team with a Guts or CB set and take out those walls already.

The problems I see with this guy lie moreso in how he deals with most switch-ins. Revenge-killing him would likely be very easy as he won't have Intimidate to help there, and his SpD will never look good without major investment/an Assault Vest. As has been mentioned, that Dark-typing definitely comes with disadvantages in the form of U-Turn and Mach Punch weaknesses, making U-Turning a likely option against non-Scarf variants and revenge killing with priority even simpler.

There's no EV spread/item that seems to really fix Luxray's faults in a given role. If you don't invest in Attack/use power-raising items, you're gonna see a clear falloff in his damage output that could really screw you over. If you don't run max Speed and a Scarf, you're gonna get outrun by basically everything but walls. If you don't use some combination of Intimidate, Assault Vest and major defensive investment, you have a very frail Pokemon on your hands. No matter what, something can shut down Luxray. Defensive sets can't muscle past walls and bulkier threats while failing to do enough damage to really discourage switch-ins. Offensive sets are either revenge-killed easily or outsped easily. Even with a Scarf Luxray cannot outspeed the really fast positive base speed Pokemon.

I'm sure Electric/Dark Luxray could be used to good effect (and I definitely see arguments that he handles a lot of top-tier threats well,) but I'd need to really see him in action before I'd be convinced that he's real OU material.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Discussion about Luxray is over, thanks for participating! Let's go to our next slate:
  • Snow Warning Kyurem (Chesnaught)
  • Nasty Plot Tentacruel (Magma)
  • Gale Wings Salamence (Chou Toshio)
  • Magic Bounce Musharna (Dry Paratroopa)
You have 24 hours to vote. Only vote for one theorymon, and the theorymon with the most votes wins. Don't forget to bold your votes, otherwise they won't count. In the case of a tie, we will vote again for the two theorymon that tied, with another day time limit. Start voting!

And here is the competitive merit behind each theorymon:

Snow Warning Kyurem: Monstrous wallbreaker that can OHKO/2HKO most Pokemon with just Blizzard, checks opposing weather teams and weather sweepers.

Nasty Plot Tentacruel: Gives to Tentacruel the necessary power to get past Aegislash and defensive cores in general, making for a great spinner and stallbreaker. It helps that Water + Poison have such great neutral coverage together, so Tentacruel can use Rapid Spin on the last slot. Nasty Plot + Sludge Bomb + Giga Drain + Scald is also a mean stallbreaker, with Giga Drain dealing with Chansey and Quagsire, and Sludge Bomb handling Clefable, some of the biggest roadblocks to set up sweepers.

Gale Wings Salamence: Priority Roost, Defog, Aerial Ace, and Tailwind are all pretty fucking sweet. Offensive sets get strong priority and can give speed boosts to teammates in emergency situations with Tailwind, while defensive sets become much more viable with priority Roost and Defog.

Magic Bounce Musharna: Able to wall a lot of defensive Pokemon and bounce back their hazards and status, such as Skarmory, Hippowdon, Heatran, and Chansey. Pretty decent bulk and movepool could make it more useful than Espeon and Xatu, finally giving us a good Magic Bounce user, outside of Baton Pass teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)