Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attack Order

I am trying to start a competitive pokemon battle league and looking to recruit some battlers for gym leaders etc. Where would I post such a thing so it doesn't get blown away?
You can try posting in Pokemon Showdown's leagues room. I don't know if there is any place on the smogon forums to do that, sorry!

This might sound like a really weird question, but in SPL, I saw a team that a few people used, with Lando I, Keldeo, Mega TTar, Aegislash, Lati@s, and Talonflame. My question is what user made that team?

This might sound like a really weird question, but in SPL, I saw a team that a few people used, with Lando I, Keldeo, Mega TTar, Aegislash, Lati@s, and Talonflame. My question is what user made that team?
I think I have seen a team like that before. Looking for the user of a team like that would be kind of difficult though.

I started playing competitive Pokemon in BW2 OU (big thanks to Jirachi for helping me get into that!) and love every minute of it. That said, I haven't gotten around to making an XY OU team yet, but it's on my to-do list. Are there any major shifts in the metagame that I have to deal with when building my XY team? Thanks!

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I started playing competitive Pokemon in BW2 OU (big thanks to Jirachi for helping me get into that!) and love every minute of it. That said, I haven't gotten around to making an XY OU team yet, but it's on my to-do list. Are there any major shifts in the metagame that I have to deal with when building my XY team? Thanks!
Not really apart from up to date bans you need to keep up with like the move 'Swagger' being banned recently or different Pokemon as well, I would suggest 'watching' the OU forums to keep up to date. As for the Pokemon OU Viability and Current Meta Game Trends will help!

A few mechanics changed, so there were some changes in the meta related to that. There were also some new items that were major buffs to certain Pokemon, and of course the usual shifts in dominance of typings.

Hazard play shifted significantly. Hazards are still powerful, and there are new hazards (Sticky Web, a ground-contact hazard that lowers Speed when a Pokemon comes into play!), but the move Defog was changed to clear all hazards in play. Defog is impossible to spinblock and can only be stopped with Taunt, which means that it is now harder to ensure that hazards stay down.

Certain types shifted in effectiveness. The weakening of hazards and the introduction of some premium-grade STAB abusers has made Flying attacks very brutal and common; Mega Pinsir and Talonflame are the primary threats here, and they will rip through anything with a Flying weakness. Steel's tanking potential took a hit, as it lost Ghost and Dark resists; this also means that Steel/Psychic Pokemon like Jirachi and Metagross are more vulnerable to those types of attacks. Dark and Ghost attacks are thus more common; Ghost is another threatening STAB due to this. Dark type attacks will also be fairly common, because a buff to Knock Off's base power ensured that virtually anything capable of carrying it will be. (It now hits for 95 BP)

Weather got a huge nerf and is no longer infinite. Now, weather-setting abilities only initiate weather for 5-8 rounds, depending on whether the user is holding the appropriate weather-extending item. This means that weather-centric teams are now more uncommon; you can still expect to see them however, especially Sun team, which use the devastating Mega Charizard Y as a combination setter/sweeper that makes Gen 5 Ninetales look like a kid with a bottle of hairspray and a lighter.

New items to watch for include the Weakness Policy, which gives the user 2 stages of Attack and Special Attack boost if they take a SE hit of any sort, and the Assault Vest, which disables any non-offensive move (basically a permanent self-induced Taunt) in exchange for a one-stage Special Defense boost. You'll often see Dragonite abusing Weakness Policy with Multiscale to set up a sweep, and Conkeldurr is a common Vest user.

Not much else to say besides the introduction of Mega Evolutions. Most of the drastic meta changes, such as rain teams becoming so much less common, are related to mechanics changes.

A few mechanics changed, so there were some changes in the meta related to that. There were also some new items that were major buffs to certain Pokemon, and of course the usual shifts in dominance of typings.

Hazard play shifted significantly. Hazards are still powerful, and there are new hazards (Sticky Web, a ground-contact hazard that lowers Speed when a Pokemon comes into play!), but the move Defog was changed to clear all hazards in play. Defog is impossible to spinblock and can only be stopped with Taunt, which means that it is now harder to ensure that hazards stay down.

Certain types shifted in effectiveness. The weakening of hazards and the introduction of some premium-grade STAB abusers has made Flying attacks very brutal and common; Mega Pinsir and Talonflame are the primary threats here, and they will rip through anything with a Flying weakness. Steel's tanking potential took a hit, as it lost Ghost and Dark resists; this also means that Steel/Psychic Pokemon like Jirachi and Metagross are more vulnerable to those types of attacks. Dark and Ghost attacks are thus more common; Ghost is another threatening STAB due to this. Dark type attacks will also be fairly common, because a buff to Knock Off's base power ensured that virtually anything capable of carrying it will be. (It now hits for 95 BP)

Weather got a huge nerf and is no longer infinite. Now, weather-setting abilities only initiate weather for 5-8 rounds, depending on whether the user is holding the appropriate weather-extending item. This means that weather-centric teams are now more uncommon; you can still expect to see them however, especially Sun team, which use the devastating Mega Charizard Y as a combination setter/sweeper that makes Gen 5 Ninetales look like a kid with a bottle of hairspray and a lighter.

New items to watch for include the Weakness Policy, which gives the user 2 stages of Attack and Special Attack boost if they take a SE hit of any sort, and the Assault Vest, which disables any non-offensive move (basically a permanent self-induced Taunt) in exchange for a one-stage Special Defense boost. You'll often see Dragonite abusing Weakness Policy with Multiscale to set up a sweep, and Conkeldurr is a common Vest user.

Not much else to say besides the introduction of Mega Evolutions. Most of the drastic meta changes, such as rain teams becoming so much less common, are related to mechanics changes.
To continue on this...

This post covered the major mechanics changes that most affect the meta. Some smaller mechanics changes are:

(1) Grass-types are now immune to powder-type moves (Spore, Poison Powder, etc.).
(2) Electric-types are now immune to paralysis.
(3) Ghost-types are now immune to moves/abilities that prevent switching (Mean Look, Shadow Tag, etc.).
(4) Some moves got their BP adjusted (e.g. Knock Off 20->65, Thunderbolt 95->90, etc.).
(5) Some moves got their base accuracy adjusted (e.g., Will-o-Wisp 75->85)
(6) Sound-based moves now bypass Substitute (e.g., Sing, Bug Buzz, Roar, etc.)

There are some other smaller, more specific changes (like Roar/Whirlwind now bypass accuracy checks), but I think any that will affect your choices in moves, abilities, mons, general strategy, etc. have all been listed.

To continue on this...

This post covered the major mechanics changes that most affect the meta. Some smaller mechanics changes are:

(1) Grass-types are now immune to powder-type moves (Spore, Poison Powder, etc.).
(2) Electric-types are now immune to paralysis.
(3) Ghost-types are now immune to moves/abilities that prevent switching (Mean Look, Shadow Tag, etc.).
(4) Some moves got their BP adjusted (e.g. Knock Off 20->65, Thunderbolt 95->90, etc.).
(5) Some moves got their base accuracy adjusted (e.g., Will-o-Wisp 75->85)
(6) Sound-based moves now bypass Substitute (e.g., Sing, Bug Buzz, Roar, etc.)

There are some other smaller, more specific changes (like Roar/Whirlwind now bypass accuracy checks), but I think any that will affect your choices in moves, abilities, mons, general strategy, etc. have all been listed.
To continue this further...

Major new/buffed offensive threats to watch out for are:

Aegislash- set to watch out most for is max SpA max Atk, running shadow ball, sacred sword, shadow sneak, and king shield which allows it switch between its offensive and defensive forms.
Azumarill- Fairy re-typing gave it a bunch of useful resitances and banded rough play can tear holes in teams without proper counters.
Talonflame- Priority Brave Bird allows Talonflame to function as one of the best revenge killers in the meta.
Mega Charzard-X- Don't let this thing set up. Great stab combintation (stab flare blitz/dragon claw), good coverage in earthquake, immunity to burn, and decent bulk make this extremely threatening.
Bisharp- The best pokemon for punishing defog. When defog is used on it its Attack is raised by 2 stages. It can also take advantage of a recently buffed knock off that has 97 BP when the opponent still has an item.
Mega Pinsir and Charzard-Y have already been mentioned.

On offensive teams its also important to have a way to get around Mega Venusaur as its one of the best walls in the game, and can even deal with weak fire and ice attacks due to Thick fat.

This is a pretty rough overview, but you can get more detailed info on each of the mons threads.

Last edited:
I think we passed up "simple answer" a long time ago, guys.

Still, all good information. The new effect-immunities that those types gained totally slipped my mind.

Is there a HARD Counter too both Breloom and Conkeldor?

Edit: Also one that doesn't need to Mega Evolve.

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Is there a HARD Counter too both Breloom and Conkeldor?

Edit: Also one that doesn't need to Mega Evolve.
sap sipper azumarill walls the shit out of both, just saying. Physically defensive togekiss can deal with both pretty well.

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey guys does anyone know how to make spitbacks
Make spitbacks? Isn't it pretty much Pokemon that have gone 'wrong' while breeding for perfect IVs, that didn't get the correct amount of IVs such as 4IV ones instead of 5IV or maybe they have an max IVs in the wrong stat so max Attack on Abra instead of max Special Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)