move 4: Protect/Ice Punch
ability: Clear Body
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
ivs: 0 Spd
nature: Brave

Moves
========
  • Meteor Mash is STAB of choice, and increases attack.
  • Hammer Arm decreases Metagross' speed, and therefore increases Metagross' speed
  • Zen Headbutt is nice secondary STAB, and it provides a handy flinch rate.
  • Protect is useful in Doubles in general, while Ice Punch helps round out coverage.
Set Details
========
  • Minimized Speed for maximum efficiency under Trick Room
  • Maximized attack and bulk for higher longevity and power
  • Life Orb helps Metagross' sweep even further
Usage Tips
========
  • Since this set doesn't set up itself, it's best to bring it in in tandem with a Trick Room user, rather than after, to maximize the set's potential.
Team Options
========
  • Trick Room user(s), to give this set a purpose
  • Scrafty to take on Ghost/Dark types
  • Gyarados is immune to Ground- and resistant to Fire-type attacks, and Mega Gyarados resists Dark- and Ghost-type attacks.
Explosion
########
name: Yolo-Gross
move 1: Explosion
move 2: Meteor Mash
move 3: Block
move 4: Protect
item: Normal Gem
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
  • Normal Gem-boosted Explosion, with a high base attack, is a destructive force that every living and non-mineral Pokémon should be aware of.
  • Meteor Mash helps obtain an even higher attack
  • Block helps you choose your target
  • Protect is good in most doubles battles; useful for scouting moves
Set Details
========
  • Maximized attack for getting the most out of Explosion
  • High HP so that Metagross doesn't go out before its destined time
  • Let's try not to use Light Metal, k?
Usage Tips
========
  • Since Block doesn't trap Ghost-types anymore (y u so OP, Ghost!?), make sure that Ghost types are eliminated before using Metagross, if you choose to use the move.
Team Options
========
  • Ghost types for obvious reasons.
  • Pokémon that can handle opposing Ghost types, like Bisharp or your own Ghost types.
Other Options
########
  • Assault Vest set could work, but Steel nerf and Knock Off buff makes it harder to use and easier to manage
  • Weakness Policy can be effective, but Aegislash does it better
  • Trick+Iron Ball
  • Air Balloon
Checks & Counters
########
  • Bulky Water Types
  • Heatran
  • MegaYard
  • Chandelure
  • Victini
  • Talonflame
  • Ground types to an extent

Last edited:
I won't be able to make the whole skeleton at once, so I'll post a few sections at a time. Feel free to comment on anything at any time, if you want.

You can't use Protect with Assault Vest.
Ice Punch should probably be slashed with Zen Headbutt instead to hit things like Landorus, Garchomp, and Skymin

Last edited:
Hi, I'm a Driver on the PS Doubles chatroom, and we have been working on some analyses of our own on a pastebin. We just so happened to have a few sets for Metagross already done, and I highly recommend you take a look at it.

http://pastebin.com/VKxiqV17

Ignore the first set though, it's really just a set I made up on the spot. Here's the improvement:

Anti-Intimidate
########
name: Anti-intimidate
move 1: Zen Headbutt
move 2: Ice Punch
move 3: Bullet Punch/Hammer Arm
move 4: Iron Head/Hammer Arm
item: Choice Band/Life Orb
evs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spd

This set lacks coverage, but makes for a dangerous teammate, being able to OHKO Landorus-T through Yache Berry, do a ton to Sylveon with Bullet Punch and OHKO with Iron Head, and OHKO Hitmontop with Zen Headbutt, as well as making for a dangerous revenge killer, especially due to its immunity to Intimidate. If you find yourself a bit weak to Intimidate, there's really no harm in putting this on there. 172 Speed EVs will outspeed standard Landorus-T, and I dumped the rest into bulk, though you could run a bit more with Hammer Arm to outspeed and OHKO bulky Mega Kangaskhan, though you'll have to watch out for Sucker Punch.

Some of these sets are rather interesting, so I thought you might want to have a look. After all, what's an analysis with only a couple of sets, with only such a versatile Pokémon like Metagross? I like the analysis so far, keep it up!

Hi, I'm a Driver on the PS Doubles chatroom, and we have been working on some analyses of our own on a pastebin. We just so happened to have a few sets for Metagross already done, and I highly recommend you take a look at it.

http://pastebin.com/VKxiqV17

Ignore the first set though, it's really just a set I made up on the spot. Here's the improvement:

Anti-Intimidate
########
name: Anti-intimidate
move 1: Zen Headbutt
move 2: Ice Punch
move 3: Bullet Punch/Hammer Arm
move 4: Iron Head/Hammer Arm
item: Choice Band/Life Orb
evs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spd

This set lacks coverage, but makes for a dangerous teammate, being able to OHKO Landorus-T through Yache Berry, do a ton to Sylveon with Bullet Punch and OHKO with Iron Head, and OHKO Hitmontop with Zen Headbutt, as well as making for a dangerous revenge killer, especially due to its immunity to Intimidate. If you find yourself a bit weak to Intimidate, there's really no harm in putting this on there. 172 Speed EVs will outspeed standard Landorus-T, and I dumped the rest into bulk, though you could run a bit more with Hammer Arm to outspeed and OHKO bulky Mega Kangaskhan, though you'll have to watch out for Sucker Punch.

Some of these sets are rather interesting, so I thought you might want to have a look. After all, what's an analysis with only a couple of sets, with only such a versatile Pokémon like Metagross? I like the analysis so far, keep it up!
I like the way you think! Putting this up.

Did you check out the pastebin, though? That was the real point of my post.
I'm looking at it right now, and I'm wondering on how to combine some of these sets into one, to keep the analysis as compact as possible. On another note, would a Trick + Iron Ball set be viable? It can ground/cripple opposing Pokémon that rely on their items to succeed, and in Doubles there will usually be at least one Pokémon that wouldn't like that to happen.

Alright, so I finished listing possible sets, and will now move on to explain them in detail. This may take a while, so if anyone has any sets that they would like to add/get rid of/modify, please let me know ASAP.

You do not need 7 sets lol. Pick the two best ones and put the rest in other options. We can go from there.

I put most of the sets, save the first two, into the OO section. Let me know if I should move/add/delete any of the sets before I start writing the full skele, because that will really ease the load I will have to carry.

Knock Off ruins this thing after the Steel nerf, even with its great defense:
252+ Atk Scizor Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 186-220 (51 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 351-416 (96.4 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
I'd say the Trick Room and YOLOgross sets have the most upside. Scarf and Band seem pretty meh considering Choice lock isn't that great in Doubles; Anti-Intimidate is basically the Physical Attacker set so I'm not sure why it needs its own (and Bisharp would like a word); Weakness Policy seems pretty neat but I'm not sure it's strong enough on the Special side to take super effective hits and make use of it (just use Aegislash).

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
okay there is no reason for Metagross to have 7 different sets.... Cobalt314 do you plan on cleaning this up or even making doing it at all or should I reassign this to a writer willing to do something.

okay there is no reason for Metagross to have 7 different sets.... Cobalt314 do you plan on cleaning this up or even making doing it at all or should I reassign this to a writer willing to do something.
I am going to work on this, I'm just a bit cramped right now (with essays, tests, etc.). I'll make a few changes every now and then, but I'll actually start writing after Thursday. And I actually have only two sets, I'm just not deleting the others until I know for certain which ones are the best to use.
EDIT: Actually, life has given me more chores, so I may not be able to fully work on this until around May.

Last edited:
Now that all major essays and AP exams have passed, I'm going to work on this analysis at a much faster pace. Any and all suggestions are still appreciated, though.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Cobalt314 After reading through this and giving you plenty of time, it's clear you're inexperienced in the metagame and it shows within the quality of your work. I am going to be rejecting this and it will be moved to locked and outdated. Before you attempt to write again I request that you learn the metagame more, I also suggest that you check out Battling 101, it's a program that will help you do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)