Serious Boy bullied over MLP bag, then the school bans him from bringing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Tonks_

But there's nothing morally wrong with bringing an MLP bag, whilst it is morally wrong to bully.

If I were him, I would have stood on my ground-- bring the MLP bag and ignore the bullies, because the bullies probably won't stop even after I stop bringing the bag.
So why not bring my beloved bag?
But he didn't stand his ground. He cried about it.

Ugh! Just today's society's way of encouraging bullying instead of trying to stop it. Just disgusting.
"today's society"

Ever hear of "Initiation day"? Some schools used to have it, and basically it was a free day for the seniors to pick on the sophomores(or whatever the term might be for your school). It was a school sponsored event. For bullying.

In "today's society", the very thought of having Initiation Day would result in the school getting slammed with lawsuits. While it's true that bullying hasn't been fully stopped(and I don't think it ever will), it has come a long way from a few generations ago.

Last edited:
"today's society"

Ever hear of "Initiation day"? Some schools used to have it, and basically it was a free day for the seniors to pick on the sophomores(or whatever the term might be for you guys?). It was a school sponsored event. For bullying.

In "today's society", the very thought of having Initiation Day would result in the school getting slammed with lawsuits. While it's true that bullying hasn't been fully stopped(and I don't think it ever will), it has come a long way from a few generations ago.
And yet, bullying STILL seems highly encouraged these days. It's not just in school, but a lot online as well.

_Tonks_

Probably because he's nine.
So? What are parents teaching their kids these days to where they can't even stick up for themselves? We're making it okay to raise a generation of fucking cry babies.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
So? What are parents teaching their kids these days to where they can't even stick up for themselves? We're making it okay to raise a generation of fucking cry babies.
Crying is an essential emotion mechanism-- you need it. Crying is not useless.
Suppressing emotions or staying strong for too long can lead to stress and eventually mood disorders.

On the other hand, why is it ok for parents to raise kids that bully people?

Typical bully analogy. Instead of telling the bullies they need to cut it out, let's just tell all the victims to just stand there and take abuse like a man. Yeah, that REALLY stops bullying.

_Tonks_

Typical bully analogy. Instead of telling the bullies they need to cut it out, let's just tell all the victims to just stand there and take abuse like a man. Yeah, that REALLY stops bullying.
"Stops bullying". Nothing will Stop bullying. Because people are LOVE to be assholes these days. I went through it, This kid could have easily not wore the bag, I can't just not be in a wheel chair, lol.

"Stops bullying". Nothing will Stop bullying. Because people are LOVE to be assholes these days. I went through it, This kid could have easily not wore the bag, I can't just not be in a wheel chair, lol.
We cannot stop it as long as we don't even try. But we can at least try to lessen it by actually punishing people who bully others instead of punishing the victim.

So when a 9 year old child is being horribly bullied to the point where he is refusing to go to school out of fear, the only thing you can think of is "fucking cry baby. just stand up for yourself"? Are you trying to say that because you've been bullied more then this kid, that you can just tell anyone who is being bullied that they are a fucking cry baby and should just buck up? Just telling a little kid who is being bullied "stop being a fucking cry baby and buck up" is not going to do anything.

Oh, and for your argument saying that by making yourself a target, you aren't a victim, I honestly have to cringe. First of all, someone who is bringing something to school that shows they like something is not setting themselves up as a target, it is the idiots who think that abusing someone because they like something that isn't "cool" who make them into targets. For an example, if I were to wear a skirt to school, and the people there started to send me death threats and physically abuse me because I am wearing a skirt, then how is it my fault at all. You can try and say that I triggered the whole thing by wearing the skirt in the first place, but really, all that is doing is somehow painting me in the wrong, the person who has to change while the sick fucks who feel the need to harass those who don't follow the social norms are perfectly fine and don't need to be disciplined.

Cresselia~~

I see that someone is clearly being bitter and wants to see people who suffer more, and decide to be a bully by picking on the current victim?

That's why he's standing on the bully's side. lol.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I kind of understand where _Tonks_ is coming from even if she may seem to have a rotten attitude about it...

I think we should keep in mind there is an ideal side and a practical side. I don't think anyone is denying that the bullies are bad for doing this, but it is hard to prevent bullying, and easy to tell the kid to stop bringing the bag. It might not have been the only reason he was bullied(I don't know the whole story), but I think it's understandable why the administration would think it would end the bullying. kd24's post on the first page pretty much sums it up so I'm not going to go on about that. There's also another thread about bullying in general from back in August: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/what-to-do-about-bullying.3487087/

In middle school, I was bullied because I was a fan of Bionicle. It ended when I just laid low and eventually people either forgot about it or just got bored and it never came up again. A lot of people say that we should try to stop the bullies rather than making the victims less of a target. I agree with the sentiment, but we should remember that it is hard to change people. It's not as if they would realize it was wrong and stop just because I (or a teacher) told them so, especially when we are young kids and don't know anything. Does that make them right for bullying me? Of course it doesn't, but it was the only practical way to (somewhat) mend the issue.

Tonks' comparison about the wheelchair also makes sense to me...she was forced to go around in a wheelchair but he chooses to bring the bag. Again, the bullies are obviously morally wrong for bullying, and I'm not sure if the bag was the only issue, but if the kid knew he couldn't bring the bag without getting harassed for it, and knew he wouldn't be able to take the mean comments, then continuing to bring it at that point is just plain stubbornness. No longer bringing it is the practical solution in this case, even if it means the bad guys win. Tonks did not have that ability...I hope it is understandable why "don't go out where people are ever" is not a good solution.

I hope I don't sound like I'm victim blaming...I don't think the kid is weak or stupid, like everyone else said, he is just a kid, and it is certainly the bullies' fault. But I hope you don't dismiss Tonks' actual points just because she has a bad attitude. In a perfect world we'd get rid of all the bullies, but there just isn't really a practical way to do that yet.

In middle school, I was bullied because I was a fan of Bionicle. It ended when I just laid low and eventually people either forgot about it or just got bored and it never came up again. A lot of people say that we should try to stop the bullies rather than making the victims less of a target. I agree with the sentiment, but we should remember that it is hard to change people. It's not as if they would realize it was wrong and stop just because I (or a teacher) told them so, especially when we are young kids and don't know anything. Does that make them right for bullying me? Of course it doesn't, but it was the only practical way to (somewhat) mend the issue.

I hope I don't sound like I'm victim blaming...I don't think the kid is weak or stupid, like everyone else said, he is just a kid, and it is certainly the bullies' fault. But I hope you don't dismiss Tonks' actual points just because she has a bad attitude. In a perfect world we'd get rid of all the bullies, but there just isn't really a practical way to do that yet.
And that's why bullies should NEVER be punished for their actions? That's why we should just let them do whatever?

Yeah, you ARE victim blaming, because you're saying it's better for the victim to just cave in to the demands of others than it is for bullies to get any sort of hint that what they are doing is wrong. And like I said, that is a huge problem with society in that it almost encourages bullying.

_Tonks_

I kind of understand where _Tonks_ is coming from even if she may seem to have a rotten attitude about it...

I think we should keep in mind there is an ideal side and a practical side. I don't think anyone is denying that the bullies are bad for doing this, but it is hard to prevent bullying, and easy to tell the kid to stop bringing the bag. It might not have been the only reason he was bullied(I don't know the whole story), but I think it's understandable why the administration would think it would end the bullying. kd24's post on the first page pretty much sums it up so I'm not going to go on about that. There's also another thread about bullying in general from back in August: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/what-to-do-about-bullying.3487087/

Tonks' comparison about the wheelchair also makes sense to me...she was forced to go around in a wheelchair but he chooses to bring the bag. Again, the bullies are obviously morally wrong for bullying, and I'm not sure if the bag was the only issue, but if the kid knew he couldn't bring the bag without getting harassed for it, and knew he wouldn't be able to take the mean comments, then continuing to bring it at that point is just plain stubbornness. No longer bringing it is the practical solution in this case, even if it means the bad guys win. Tonks did not have that ability...I hope it is understandable why "don't go out where people are ever" is not a good solution.

There's nothing Rotten about my attitude about this, lol. People are acting like this is Amanda Todd 2.0, but it's not. It's a kid who did something that made him a target and was surprised when people made him a Target, lol.

Todd was a different scenario than this from what I remember about the case, but since I don't know much about it, I won't go anymore into that topic.

With that said, _Tonks_ , allow me to ask you a question. Do you think the bullies were justified in bullying said kid? Or are you just apathetic to the situation because you think the kid brought upon himself?

_Tonks_

Todd was a different scenario than this from what I remember about the case, but since I don't know much about it, I won't go anymore into that topic.

With that said, _Tonks_ , allow me to ask you a question. Do you think the bullies were justified in bullying said kid? Or are you just apathetic to the situation because you think the kid brought upon himself?
Amanda Todd Allowed men to take nude photos of her. When people found out, they made fun of her, she killed herself. people said it was the bullying that killed her, lol.

Bullying isn't justified, I'm not saying that. The kid knew that kids were making fun of him for the bag, yet he kept wearing it, yet he kept wearing it. He's dumb for doing that, not dumb for liking something. He's guilty of intentionally doing something that he KNEW would cause an issue. The bullies are idiots for targeting him for such a dumb thing, but it's still something. This whole thing is stupid. The "victim" is stupid, and the bullies are stupid. This isn't a hate crime or something we worth crying about. This is a stupid kid who wanted attention, got it in the wrong way, then cried about it.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Amanda Todd Allowed men to take nude photos of her. When people found out, they made fun of her, she killed herself. people said it was the bullying that killed her, lol.

Bullying isn't justified, I'm not saying that. The kid knew that kids were making fun of him for the bag, yet he kept wearing it, yet he kept wearing it. He's dumb for doing that, not dumb for liking something. He's guilty of intentionally doing something that he KNEW would cause an issue. The bullies are idiots for targeting him for such a dumb thing, but it's still something. This whole thing is stupid. The "victim" is stupid, and the bullies are stupid. This isn't a hate crime or something we worth crying about. This is a stupid kid who wanted attention, got it in the wrong way, then cried about it.
You paint this kid in such a terrible light. You act as if he sat down and said "You know what, I want to cause problems in school today" where as he probably just said "I love mlp I want to bring my bag because this is what I love!" It's not like he was like "I want to be a target" he just wants to have a bag he enjoys and there's nothing wrong with liking something that society and others think you shouldn't like. The school might have made the correct decision, battling bullies is hard, but your hate of this kid is pretty unwarranted in my opinion.

Also does anyone know if taking the bag away actually stops the bullying? Its nice to say in theory no bag = no problem but the kids are still fully aware of his interests and I'm not sure if we can definitely say if removing the bag solves the problem.

Cresselia~~

I'm ok with that explanation, personally.

But in an ideal world, it would be better if the school teaches kids that everyone has different likes / preferences/ hobbies, etc, and that people should learn to respect it.
However, the bullies could also argue that bullying was their preference. (This happened to me lol. But they weren't bullying me for anything specific, they just didn't like me in the first place.)

He wore it for ONE DAY.

_Tonks_

You paint this kid in such a terrible light. You act as if he sat down and said "You know what, I want to cause problems in school today" where as he probably just said "I love mlp I want to bring my bag because this is what I love!" It's not like he was like "I want to be a target" he just wants to have a bag he enjoys and there's nothing wrong with liking something that society and others think you shouldn't like. The school might have made the correct decision, battling bullies is hard, but your hate of this kid is pretty unwarranted in my opinion.

Also does anyone know if taking the bag away actually stops the bullying? Its nice to say in theory no bag = no problem but the kids are still fully aware of his interests and I'm not sure if we can definitely say if removing the bag solves the problem.
You assume I hate someone in an issue that I couldn't give a shit about? This whole thing is stupid as fuck. I'm supposed to feel bad because some brony scrub wore an MLP bag to school and got laughed at? If a boy wears a dress to school and gets laughed at you wouldn't think it was obvious that he had it coming? Kids are assholes, and idiots.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It's smart not to bring a MLP lunchbox to school, but the school also needs to take every effort to make it clear to the bullies that bullying is not okay (however effective their efforts are...). The school has a responsibility both to protect the bullied kid as well as help prevent the other kids from growing up into PE teachers power-mongering asshats. Not everyone can be as edgy as _Tonks_ .

so what youre saying is that the kids who are "assholes and idiots" arent in the wrong here because the kid was basically asking for it by bringing in something he liked

yeah dude ok!!

_Tonks_

You guys are butt hurt as fuck cause I have an opinion that's more realistic then yours, lol. It's fine, accuse me of being a shit person and hating this kid. I just remember all the times I had to deal with worse shit in high school because I was in a wheel chair. I couldn't not be in a wheel chair, lol. The fact that kids will target each other over shit like this is dumb, but for this kid, all he had to do was stop being a baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)