Other XY OU Viability Ranking Thread (V2) (Last update on post #5189)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's definitely true that X is much more costly if you guess wrong. Whenever I see Zard in preview, for safeties sake I just treat it as though it's X unless there are good indications it might not be, otherwise much more is at stake than taking a big chunk out of one of your walls.

You may lose a Pokemon if you believe it to be Charizard X and it turns out to be Charizard Y, but you may lose the match if you thought it was Charizard Y and it's really Charizard X.
The cost of guessing Charizard Y wrong can be significantly higher.

And, unlike Charizard X, Y only has one set.

You may know it's X, but if you mispredict your switch (and bring out, let's say, Azumarill) and it's the bulky set with Will-o-Wisp...

These somewhat common situations are why I'd like to see Y fall to A+ and X remain in S.
People are seriously still discussing Y to A+....? smfh. Charizard Y is a total S-Rank Pokemon and I just don't get it. Also, why is the Ubers thread having base form + mega combined but not the OU one?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
People are seriously still discussing Y to A+....? smfh. Charizard Y is a total S-Rank Pokemon and I just don't get it. Also, why is the Ubers thread having base form + mega combined but not the OU one?
Because normal Charizard is shit and should never be used.

ZardY has a lot of options and it's definitely more than just a one trick pony that spams fire blasts.

For example, I've seen a decent amount of physical zardYs and it hits hard as hell with flare blitz and still has the ability to get past rotom with solar beam.

I've been running a speed boosting set with hp ice and tailwind and it gives offensive teams hell for 3-5 turns while still being able to shit on stall teams once Tran, ttar, lati and chansey are gone. (Shoutsout dugtrio who is stupidly underused)

So you all need to stop saying zardY isn't S. Any team without a sturdy fire resist is gonna be in serious trouble

Because normal Charizard is shit and should never be used.
It's the istant when Charizard is still normal before mega evolving that makes it so threatening. That's the point of having base+mega combined in the list.
Most other megas are threatening because of effects coming from the base form, such as base Mawile's intimidate, base Manectric's Lightingrod, base Garchomp's 102 base speed, base Pinsir' 1/4 weakness to Rocks instead of 1/2, base Gyarados' amazing defensive typing and more. The base form is a pretty important part of the way how a Pokémon running a MegaStone and definitely shouldn't be dismissed like that.
And technically Mega-Mawile, for example, can be treated as a set for the Pokémon Mawile, no matter if it's the only viable sets. Ranking base and mega separately is like ranking CB Azumarill A+, Assault Vest Azumarill A, Belly Drum Azumarill B+ and Sap Sipper Azumarill D.

It's the istant when Charizard is still normal before mega evolving that makes it so threatening. That's the point of having base+mega combined in the list.
Most other megas are threatening because of effects coming from the base form, such as base Mawile's intimidate, base Manectric's Lightingrod, base Garchomp's 102 base speed, base Pinsir' 1/4 weakness to Rocks instead of 1/2, base Gyarados' amazing defensive typing and more. The base form is a pretty important part of the way how a Pokémon running a MegaStone and definitely shouldn't be dismissed like that.
And technically Mega-Mawile, for example, can be treated as a set for the Pokémon Mawile, no matter if it's the only viable sets. Ranking base and mega separately is like ranking CB Azumarill A+, Assault Vest Azumarill A, Belly Drum Azumarill B+ and Sap Sipper Azumarill D.
Yeah but Garchomp for example plays different from it's mega. Mega Garchomp is more of a wallbreaker and normal Garchomp is more of a scarfer, swords dancer so how can you compare them.

Yeah but Garchomp for example plays different from it's mega. Mega Garchomp is more of a wallbreaker and normal Garchomp is more of a scarfer, swords dancer so how can you compare them.
How can you compare Double booster and pivot Landorus-T? Same logic here.

Just combine the Mega Charizards into one spot. Without the other, they wouldn't be S rank and they both come from the same pokemon. Alone they're A+ but the unpredictability of the different forms is what makes them S rank as they both have different counters (they do share checks like Scarf Chomp, not a counter but it's a check)

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
Just combine the Mega Charizards into one spot. Without the other, they wouldn't be S rank and they both come from the same pokemon. Alone they're A+ but the unpredictability of the different forms is what makes them S rank as they both have different counters (they do share checks like Scarf Chomp, not a counter but it's a check)
Mega Charizard X was once in a different rank than Mega Charizard Y. We should keep them separate in case that happens again.

Mega Charizard X was once in a different rank than Mega Charizard Y. We should keep them separate in case that happens again.
That was only once and then again Garchomp and his mega were together until they decided that Mega Garchomp just wasn't as good as Garchomp, if the situation where one of the Charizards have to drop in rank they can then separate them. Same thing happened with Scizor and Tyranitar.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
That was only once and then again Garchomp and his mega were together until they decided that Mega Garchomp just wasn't as good as Garchomp, if the situation where one of the Charizards have to drop in rank they can then separate them. Same thing happened with Scizor and Tyranitar.
That doesn't change anything. It doesn't work like that. It's the mods decision. If they want to seperate them or combine them in tiers, they can. Otherwise, it's for a reason.

Given that this thread is supposed to help newer users, I think that it's better to rank Megas separately from their base forms. This is the clearest way to communicate to them that, for example, it is only a good idea to use Charizard if it is holding a Mega Stone. Basically, ranking them separately just gives more specific information about viability, and that doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.

Given that this thread is supposed to help newer users, I think that it's better to rank Megas separately from their base forms. This is the clearest way to communicate to them that, for example, it is only a good idea to use Charizard if it is holding a Mega Stone. Basically, ranking them separately just gives more specific information about viability, and that doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.
That is the problem i had with the uber viability ranking. I'm a newbie at ubers so i have no idea if Blaziken is just as good as his mega or if Mewtwo should be used over his megas.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
That is the problem i had with the uber viability ranking. I'm a newbie at ubers so i have no idea if Blaziken is just as good as his mega or if Mewtwo should be used over his megas.
Then you should check their analyses. Both Blaziken and Mewtwo are viable Pokemon in Ubers, with or without their stones. The mega is just a set for them, and that that's why I think they should not be separated. But that really doesn't belong here.

What are people's opinions on:

B
| B-
|C+
|C
|C-
|D

These are all unranked Pokemon that should be ranked, as they are viable enough for analyses. I put them in a rough order of my idea of their viability, with a "|" separating ranks.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
ZardY has a lot of options and it's definitely more than just a one trick pony that spams fire blasts.

For example, I've seen a decent amount of physical zardYs and it hits hard as hell with flare blitz and still has the ability to get past rotom with solar beam.

I've been running a speed boosting set with hp ice and tailwind and it gives offensive teams hell for 3-5 turns while still being able to shit on stall teams once Tran, ttar, lati and chansey are gone. (Shoutsout dugtrio who is stupidly underused)

So you all need to stop saying zardY isn't S. Any team without a sturdy fire resist is gonna be in serious trouble
Tailwind is up for 4 turns upon setting it up, and after that turn ends, you then have 3 turns to abuse it. If you want a teammate to even use tailwind without sacking the user (pivot or manual switch) you have 2 turns. Is a valuable move slot really worth 2 turns of extra speed? And where does 5 turns come from?
That's why I only recommend tailwind in doubles.

Then you should check their analyses. Both Blaziken and Mewtwo are viable Pokemon in Ubers, with or without their stones. The mega is just a set for them, and that that's why I think they should not be separated. But that really doesn't belong here.

What are people's opinions on:

B
| B-
|C+
|C
|C-
|D

These are all unranked Pokemon that should be ranked, as they are viable enough for analyses. I put them in a rough order of my idea of their viability, with a "|" separating ranks.
Hydreigon is a seriously underrated threat. It has fantastic coverage and you can be hard to play against as you don't know what moves it has. The scarf set is very good, outspeeding most of the meta and can keep momentum with U-turn sort of like genesect. B-rank at least, possibly B+.

Haven't used many of the others but reuniclus is a great stallbreaker with wonder guard + CM. However takes a lot of team support for it to work. C rank seems good.

I feel like Gothitelle should be B plus. It is amazing and here's why: Gothitelle dismantles opposing cores easily. Skarmory? Thunderbolt. Mega Venusaur? Psyshock. Rotom Wash? Energy Ball. Heatran? Hidden Power Ground. CroCune? Trick. Aside from that, Gothitelle can pair up with an Scarf Entrainment Truant Durant and set up a Calm Mind sweep while "Talonflame is loafing around". It is REALLY good. Just pair it with late game sweepers and revenge killers and you've got a team. Still, if the opponent is smart enough to predict Gothitelle is coming in, he can just send his T-Tar or Aegislash and Pursuit Gothitelle's dress like an animal. It's also slow and can't do much after its core-killing spree. But like Breloom, Gothitelle can seriously damage if not destroy slower teams.

I'd like to hear what you guys think so adios!

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I feel like Gothitelle should be B plus. It is amazing and here's why: Gothitelle dismantles opposing cores easily. Skarmory? Thunderbolt. Mega Venusaur? Psyshock. Rotom Wash? Energy Ball. Heatran? Hidden Power Ground. CroCune? Trick. Aside from that, Gothitelle can pair up with an Scarf Entrainment Truant Durant and set up a Calm Mind sweep while "Talonflame is loafing around". It is REALLY good. Just pair it with late game sweepers and revenge killers and you've got a team. Still, if the opponent is smart enough to predict Gothitelle is coming in, he can just send his T-Tar or Aegislash and Pursuit Gothitelle's dress like an animal. It's also slow and can't do much after its core-killing spree. But like Breloom, Gothitelle can seriously damage if not destroy slower teams.

I'd like to hear what you guys think so adios!
I personally think B or B- is best. It needs Psyshock and trick, and will get walled depending on which of the following it doesn't choose: HP Fire, HP Ground, Thunderbolt, Energy Ball, Shadow Ball. However, being able to Trick Choice items to walls/set up sweepers is very useful, as is destroying the most common stall Pokemon with Ground / Psychic / Grass coverage. Its flaws are average physical bulk, average power, and low speed, but its utility make up for it, and make it B or B- in my eyes.

I personally think B or B- is best. It needs Psyshock and trick, and will get walled depending on which of the following it doesn't choose: HP Fire, HP Ground, Thunderbolt, Energy Ball, Shadow Ball. However, being able to Trick Choice items to walls/set up sweepers is very useful, as is destroying the most common stall Pokemon with Ground / Psychic / Grass coverage. Its flaws are average physical bulk, average power, and low speed, but its utility make up for it, and make it B or B- in my eyes.
Yeah around B is right. We seem to be in the same threads!

Gothitelle should be ranked in B honestly. It can stop almost any stall Pokemon in the game with Trick + Choice Scarf, then continue to to kill it, take back the Scarf, and finish the Pokemon off. Although you must switch to repeat, every stall team I've used has always died against a good player with a Gothitelle. It's also what I believe is the prime Chansey/Blissey Killer. Choice Scarf renders it useless (stuck on a move that won't be help) Seismic Toss, with the right EV spread won't be able to 3HKO, while Gothitelle has a high chance to 3HKO (But doing so it will lose it's Scarf and be at extremely low health). But most players with Chansey will use a status move, that's where Gothitelle Taunt's it and Chansey will be doing little damage with Struggle, while killing itself.

Other then that Gothitelle doesn't really fit anywhere. It's offensive capabilities aren't too great, it suffers the problem of a below decent movepool, and bulk.

Last edited:
Can we move Absol-Mega to C+? It has a cool ability and very nice attacking stats, but it lacks power without Swords Dance and is just not very good. It doesn't have any bulk whatsoever and has trouble mega evolving (it can't instantly be immune to Ferrothorn using SR). It's probably not very important, but I don't think it is B- at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)