PAX East 2014

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Soooooo, just got back from PAX East. It was a blast.

I flew in Thursday evening. Apparently my hotel was 20 miles west of the Expo Center so that really sucked. I ended up taking the public transportation all the way out to the hotel. It wasn't too bad since I wasn't in any rush, but I did have to take a taxi.

Day 1 was the most exciting day for me by far, mostly due to all the built up excitement that I had from waiting over half a year to go to PAX. I went early in the morning so that I could get in line earlier. Even though it was my first time going, I figured that the earlier I went, the better, since that would mean I'd be able to get into the showroom floor sooner. Little did I know, the convention center in Boston is rather large...

And security check was no fun at all. But who cares about security? I was here for PAX!!

Little did I know that once I would get into the queue line, they would pack us in like cattle:

Once the crowd started entering, I managed to get my hands on a glorious Dice of Destiny:

The fate of PAX East rode on the favor of the Dice of Destiny.

My first stop was the Riot booth. I wanted to get a handful of skin codes since I figured people I know would want a copy of the same stuff I got. When I got there, I saw this guy:

Ironstylus, drawing up a storm. He actually did multiple pieces per day, I think.

I ended up taking a bunch of pictures of the Cosplay Display that Riot was doing. People who cosplayed LoL characters were invited on stage to display their costumes. There were so many good ones that I don't think it's worth dropping into this thread without spamming it up or taking forever to C/P the links, so I won't bother with all of that. Let's just say that there were some really awesome ones and leave it at that. It was really cool to see Sky, Morello, Scarra, Keyori, Lilypichu, and everyone I probably forgot to remember, in person. It goes without saying that when you meet some big-head that is actively involved in one of the most popular games in the world in person, that there's a level of respect you have for said person. In any event, I think the cosplays took the Riot booth by storm (as well as those dumb URF games in which it was always a one-sided stomp).

Actually there WAS one cosplay that stood out. It was famous since it was posted on the internet earlier this year:

Man. Words cannot express how much awesome was put into the making of that cosplay. I cannot imagine how sweaty it is inside, but I bet it would be 100% worth it showing this off.

Among many other cosplays:

Yes. That is who you think it is. Bird Jesus in the flesh, among us at PAX East. Unfortunately his grace was so glorious that I could only manage to get a blurry shot:

Not a cosplay, but I digress...

Of course I did arrange to meet up with some people. And so I ended up meeting this kid:

That's Walrein. He's a fidgety fellow. Don't let his naive looks make you put your guard down. He's one badass motherfucker. I swear he would kill me with the pins on my bag if it wasn't for the fact that I was Russian. I guess his friends were cool too.

Beyond all the cosplay that others wore was one that would stand out the most:

Yup. I ended up cosplaying Jude Mathis from Tales of Xillia. I took a better shot at home prior to going to PAX East (just in case you were interested):

Anyways, the highlights of PAX East for me would probably be the Panels we went to, cosplaying as Jude Mathis and breaking my feet doing it (those boots were TIGHT), annnnnd

this thing. Yeah, Borderlands Pre-Sequel looked pretty badass. The booth took forever to get into (apparently the day prior to going to this - we went day 3 - the line was a 4 hour wait).

I mean, it makes sense right?

As a finale (after Walrein and co left to go back to whence they came), I went to watch the Omegathon:

It was enjoyable as they played bean bag toss (which they called "Corn Hole Toss"). It was a rather intense game, as whenever anyone actually got a bean bag into the hole, the crowd would go wild.

Leaving PAX East felt bittersweet. I enjoyed every bit of it, and yet I felt like as if it was extremely short-lived. I imagine that if you live on the East coast, traveling to PAX East isn't that big of a deal, but for me - well I live in Minnesota, so you can imagine how much of a hurdle that is for me to jump. It was a lot of fun, but leaving was hard since I didn't get to see everything I wanted to (damn those long lines) and I didn't get enough pictures of all the cosplays that were there. There was this awesome couple that dressed up as Team Flare from XY and they looked like the cutest item. There were also a bunch of other sick cosplays as well. Man. I wish I bugged people for pictures. XD

In any event, I managed to find a creeper right outside the convention center in a building on the wharf:

Yeah, I know. I almost WISH it was a horse...

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Seconding the Borderlands comment - that shit looks tight.

He got me, too.

Also Acklow managed to post the worst pictures of me that have ever been taken. So there's that, I guess.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Lucky bastard. Did you try out any game demos while you were there? (most interested in WildStar but anything new is worth hearing about)

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Most of the lines for game demos were hours-deep, but we DID get to try an upcoming indie game called Habitat where you basically build a space colony out of space junk... including a fragment of the Empire State Building. It was pretty chill.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
a girl I knew in high school cosplayed slave leia/princess peach crossover at pax east this year, maybe you saw her? her name's emylee

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I saw a Princess Peach (actually 2 I think). So maybe it was her.

Age of Kings I tried out a game where you play as humans versus some sort of gargoyle/vampire things. It's a FPS. The humans have bows, crossbows, etc while the monsters are all melee but have ways to close the gap. It was kind of interesting to play both sides, but I think the monsters were stronger. I don't remember the name of the game though.

As for Wild Star, I think it's exactly what it's hyped out to be but better. It looks like a cooler version of Guild Wars 2, since it has skillshot abilities but it's set in space and has a better looking graphics. Of course that's probably due to the fact that I don't play GW2 on high graphics (my net sucks).

I didn't get to play test it but it looks fun.

Also there are a ton of cool things in the new Borderlands that makes it waaaaaay more fun looking than the other games. Mostly the fact that you are on Pandora's moon, so a) there isn't as much gravity, and b) you have an oxygen level if you ever go outside of a building that you have to monitor. Oh and one of the characters is female Captain America.

Last edited:
ohhhh haiiii, I was thinking you would be from L.S. I googled "slave leia princess peach at pax" and it brought me here because of the text you posted. im trying to find pics of meeee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)