Baton Pass(ers) in LC

Only for further information, I think that a baton pass strategy have to pay attention vs Swagger 'mons like Cottonee, Murkrow and Purrloin. Could be a unexpected and unlucky risk.

Last edited:
This isn't my original set, just a LC adaptation of a Drifblim set created(or at least claimed) by Pyrotoz, a competitive pokemon youtuber. I've played around with it in LC, and while it isn't really as devastating with all the damn priority running around, it's fun to use and always a surprise for an opponent.

BabyPyrotozSet (Drifloon) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Unburden
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Spd / 196 SAtk / 116 HP
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Baton Pass
- Endure

Drifloon is considerably less bulky in LC than Drifblim is in UU/RU, so it's best not to risk hard switching in on any hits. The premise of this in LC is to wait until something else on your team dies to a Pokemon that you know has a reliable S.E. hit on Drifblim, and doesn't have it's own priority to hit it. You switch in Drifblim, use endure, take the S.E. hit, and get simultaneous boosts from W.P. and Unburden. With this spread, unboosted Speed and Sp. Atk both equal 16, and both are doubled after you pull this off. Once you activate it, you can either use Drifloon as a hefty special attacker if you've gotten rid of priority users, or Baton Pass the 2x Atk and Sp. Atk onto another member of your team to tank a hit meant for Drifloon, and keep on truckin'. Given that this set is very much a one-time-use thing, and you want to get as much secondary utility out of it as you can as death fodder, I'd suggest running this set with one or two powerful users of Fake Out and/or Volt Switch. For example, you've used the set, baton passed safely, and now have a 1 HP Drifloon. If anything should prove particularly hard to get much damage on, you can bring in your Volt Switch/Fake Out user, either V.S. or Fake Out for damage, then switch into Drifloon to die, and come back in with the same Pokemon and do it again.

While I prefer the special variant of this set myself, a physical set does well enough if you need the Flying coverage in particular, but it's physical movepool is more limited, pretty much leaving either Knock Off or Sucker Punch as viable options.

Once again, not my concept for a moveset, but if there's any method of making W.P. Baton Pass work, I'd say it's this.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This isn't my original set, just a LC adaptation of a Drifblim set created(or at least claimed) by Pyrotoz, a competitive pokemon youtuber. I've played around with it in LC, and while it isn't really as devastating with all the damn priority running around, it's fun to use and always a surprise for an opponent.

BabyPyrotozSet (Drifloon) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Unburden
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Spd / 196 SAtk / 116 HP
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Baton Pass
- Endure

Drifloon is considerably less bulky in LC than Drifblim is in UU/RU, so it's best not to risk hard switching in on any hits. The premise of this in LC is to wait until something else on your team dies to a Pokemon that you know has a reliable S.E. hit on Drifblim, and doesn't have it's own priority to hit it. You switch in Drifblim, use endure, take the S.E. hit, and get simultaneous boosts from W.P. and Unburden. With this spread, unboosted Speed and Sp. Atk both equal 16, and both are doubled after you pull this off. Once you activate it, you can either use Drifloon as a hefty special attacker if you've gotten rid of priority users, or Baton Pass the 2x Atk and Sp. Atk onto another member of your team to tank a hit meant for Drifloon, and keep on truckin'. Given that this set is very much a one-time-use thing, and you want to get as much secondary utility out of it as you can as death fodder, I'd suggest running this set with one or two powerful users of Fake Out and/or Volt Switch. For example, you've used the set, baton passed safely, and now have a 1 HP Drifloon. If anything should prove particularly hard to get much damage on, you can bring in your Volt Switch/Fake Out user, either V.S. or Fake Out for damage, then switch into Drifloon to die, and come back in with the same Pokemon and do it again.

While I prefer the special variant of this set myself, a physical set does well enough if you need the Flying coverage in particular, but it's physical movepool is more limited, pretty much leaving either Knock Off or Sucker Punch as viable options.

Once again, not my concept for a moveset, but if there's any method of making W.P. Baton Pass work, I'd say it's this.
I don't remember who, but someone posted a WP/BP Drifloon set that used Stockpile as well. Great for passing to shell smashers or frail sweepers. Its a little gimmicky though.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, but it helps Drifloon get a guaranteed pass atleast. +1 Attack/Sp Attack and +1 Def/SpD is great and drifloon is usually fast enough to get a stockpile boost before taking a SE hit.

you can bring in your Volt Switch/Fake Out user, either V.S. or Fake Out for damage, then switch into Drifloon to die, and come back in with the same Pokemon and do it again.
Uh... but if you switch out then you lose the boost? Baton passing a volt switcher seems kind of counterproductive. It's better to switch into a mixed sweeper tbh. I also think that a focus sash lead would do better because then you can calm mind against, say, a Mienfoo lead (Knock Off will OHKO and thus break the sash) to get an extra boost, plus it is more reliable than endure imo. You also can run stockpile, but I don't know if Mienfoo could OHKO it then.

EDIT: JK I forgot you can't have a sash and WP. Ignore that.

Last edited:
Uh... but if you switch out then you lose the boost? Baton passing a volt switcher seems kind of counterproductive. It's better to switch into a mixed sweeper tbh. I also think that a focus sash lead would do better because then you can calm mind against, say, a Mienfoo lead (Knock Off will OHKO and thus break the sash) to get an extra boost, plus it is more reliable than endure imo. You also can run stockpile, but I don't know if Mienfoo could OHKO it then.

EDIT: JK I forgot you can't have a sash and WP. Ignore that.
Given that this set is very much a one-time-use thing, and you want to get as much secondary utility out of it as you can as death fodder, I'd suggest running this set with one or two powerful users of Fake Out and/or Volt Switch. For example, you've used the set, baton passed safely, and now have a 1 HP Drifloon. If anything should prove particularly hard to get much damage on, you can bring in your Volt Switch/Fake Out user, either V.S. or Fake Out for damage, then switch into Drifloon to die, and come back in with the same Pokemon and do it again.
Shmeur, he isn't talking about passing to the fake out/volt switch user. He's saying that after Drifloon has passed to something, later on in the match it's not very useful so you want to be able to maximum your usage of it and make the most out of it being death fodder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)