RMT- Monotype Flying

Alrighty. So on the Frost PS server, competitive monotype is by far the most prominent way of battling. Having several leagues to go over, there are my types that need to be watched over. The most deadly, bar none, is flying. Here is my RMT for my Flying team.

GET SWOLE (Landorus) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 3 HP / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Landorus is a giant threat on its own. The ability to sweep through teams with it's incredibly high 101 base Speed and the ability to be both Physical and Special is definitely something to be watched out for. Also on a Flying monotype, this is a great check to most threatening Electric types, like Magnezone, Mega Ampharos and Lanturn (to an extent). I chose Physical because it seems to be the more offset style of using regular Landorus, catching the opponent by surprise.

Zeus (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 SAtk / 251 HP / 252 SDef
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Toxic
- Roost
- Heat Wave

With Zapdos recently moving up to OU, it is now a much bigger threat. With the ability to be either Physically, Specially, or all out offensive, Zapdos is a real wild card. I chose specially defensive because it is threatened by other things also in monotype that could ruin it. The only real problem i see is Excadrill, whether it being Scarfed or Air Balloon, Heat Wave does a massive chunk to it's health. Toxic and Roost for utility and being able to switch in and out whenever it is being threatened.

Shrimp (Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 3 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Easily the ace of this team. Being given an EXTREME buff this gen, being hidden inside the mega stone, Gyarados is now one of the biggest threats in OU and in OU Monotype. The DDance set is by far the most prominent, hitting most things incredily hard, like physically defensive Gastrodon, with Mold Breaker, Storm Drain is no longer a problem. It also catches stuff off guard, like stuff that usually would switch in on Mega-Dos, like MultiScale Dragonite or Scarf Hydreigon. After one DDance (not even one for Ice Fang on Dnite), it OHKO's always.

2 CHAINZ (Togekiss) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 170 HP / 252 SAtk / 86 Spd
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Dazzling Gleam

Ah, my good pal Togekiss. Given the extreme buff this Gen with the newly added Fairy type, Togekiss has found a whole new niche in OU Monotype. With the Fairy immunity and paired with the Choice Scarf, it outspeeds... most things? I'd like to say. Even though Togekiss's base speed is pitiful, it can outspeed most things that would like to set up on it and trick it the choice scarf. It's pretty diabolical, but it works.

Tweerrrkkk Teeaammm (Talonflame) (F)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Talonflame is one of the game winners this gen, most definitely. With it's killer ability to make all flying moves priority, that leaves a wide range of moves that this bird can abuse. With Priority roost and Acrobatics, it becomes a power house, considering i have no item. But wait, there's more. With Talonflame being so threatening with the priority, it forces switches. So you can predict the SD, and almost guarantee a sweep.

Ridley (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 251 HP / 5 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost

The most annoying thing on my team, to an extent. Skarmory walls almost every physical attacker in the OU and OU Monotype metagame, being able to soak up and then roost off the damage so he can terrorize again. Stealth Rocks are to cripple the other team, and defog is to ensure that my team doesn't get crippled. Roost for Utility to make sure that he can stay alive longer, and Brave Bird for STAB. I was almost considering trading that for Steel Wing, but looking at the base power and the chance to miss, Brave Bird was the better option.

Thanks for your time!

Ignore the above suggestion because Specially Defensive Charizard is one of the absolute worst things I've ever heard. And you seem to not understand EVs, when people say make it an odd stat, don't make the EV an odd stat, make the stat itself odd lol. So change to these EV Spreads:
  • Landorus -> 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
  • Zapdos -> 252 HP / 168 Def / 68 SpA / 20 Spe [will explain]
  • Gyarados -> 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
  • Togekiss -> 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
  • Talonflame -> 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
  • Skarmory -> 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Here's my moveset changes I success:
  • Landorus -> Earth Power / Focus Blast / Grass Knot / U-turn
Special Landorus > Physical in most cases. Earth Power is so much stronger and Focus Blast is so great! Grass Knot is great to beat Hippowdown, whom your team struggles with. U-turn keeps up momentum which I find useful.
  • Zapdos -> Thunderbolt / Defog / Roost / U-turn or Heat Wave
Thunderbolt > Discharge because it is more powerful and Discharge just isn't as useful. Defog is amazing and MonoFlying needs it, while Skarmory does have it, it doesn't need it, I'll get to that soon. Roost for longevity, yada yada. U-turn or Heat Wave, it's up to you, U-turn allows you to safely switch out of Ground-types if need be and Heat Wave can be used for Steel-types, either is fine! Now, the Zapdos EVs. This gives Zapdos the ability to OHKO Mega Pinsir, while the Speed EVs outspeed Max Speed Aegislash. The rest is dumped into Physical Bulk!
  • Gyarados -> Fine!
  • Togekiss -> Air Slash / Dazzling Gleam / Fire Blast / Roost [Also, Life Orb > Scarf]
This Togekiss set is more offensive and will be more useful than Scarf usually. Same moves, but with Roost > Toxic. :]
  • Talonflame -> Ok!
  • Skarmory -> Roost / Whirlwind / Stealth Rock / Brave Bird
This set is the far superior set, if you want to learn more please read here! :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)