Law Battles - Introduction

What's up, everyone? Some of you may have seen me at Marriland where I made 5 Nuzlocke adventures and created a forum game Tower of God. Now I am moving to Smogon forums as well! The primary reason for me to move here is that I came for an excellent idea for a Pokemon Showdown battles. Are you ready to hear it?

The insipation for my idea was the game Final Fantasy Tactics A2. In that game, on each battlefield, there were always certain set of rules that players had to abide in orded to use their privilegies and revive fallen party members. With this idea, I have created a new type of battles - Law Battles! In those kinds of battles there will be always a different law. I have already created about 100 different laws, and each of those laws will be randomed for each day.

Although the laws will definitely change for each session, your team will remain the same. To participate in Law Battles Daily, you'll have to sign up six of your Pokemon that you will be using in Pokemon Showdown. The team that you'll sign up for daily Law Battles will be FINAL and it is not recommended to change it between different Law Battle days. Because of that, I strongly recommend you to build a balanced team that will be able to fight under different law conditions. After the next law becomes posted you should change your Pokemon's natures, abilities, moves and items in preparation for the upcoming Law Battles.

If the presence of one of your Pokemon itself violates the law (because of forbidden Ability), then you'll have to temporarily remove that Pokemon during that day and fight with only 5 other members. It's harsh, but if you build a correct team, you will be able to avoid that kind of situation, but generally it's recommended to use Pokemon that have 2 or more Abilities. After the law is posted, you will have some time to prepare your team and change moves, items and other things according to law, and procced to find and fight fight other players and get as much wins as possible before the day ends. Do not change the Pokemon on your team - their species must always be the same on each day of Law Battles!

Here is an example of what my team would look like:

Arcanine
Jolteon
Swampert
Exploud
Floatzel
Gyarados

Once you sign up your team of 6 Pokemon, it is recommended to use then for the remainder of the daily Law Battles. Alternatively, you can sign up a new Pokemon team if you want, but you will have to wait until a new law is posted, so you will not be able to build a team fitting under a single particular law.

If a player breaks a law in a battle by using a forbidden action, that player will technically lose the battle regardless of the outcome, and the victory will go to the opponent. If two players break the law in a single turn, then only the player who broke the law by moving first loses. Because of that, it is strongly recommended to save replays of your tournament battles as the proof of your victory.

In addition to those laws, the standard clauses will be in effect:

• Sleep Clause: If a player has already put an opposing Pokémon to sleep using a sleep inducing move and that Pokémon is still sleeping due to that sleep inducing move, the player cannot put another opposing Pokémon to sleep using a sleep inducing move.
  • Species Clause: A player cannot have two of the same species of Pokémon on their team, based on the National Pokedex Number. For example, a player cannot have two Koffing on his or her team.
  • Evasion Clause: Players cannot use Double Team or Minimize in any of their Pokémon's movesets.
  • OHKO Clause: Players cannot use Horn Drill, Guillotine, Sheer Cold, or Fissure in any of their Pokémon's movesets.
  • Timer Clause: If a player exhausts the timer, he/she loses.
The Pokemon you submit must be in XY OU tier list.

I have made total of 100 those Battle Laws. Open the spoiler box to see all of then:

1. Mega Evolution
Using Mega Evolution is forbidden

2. Items
Giving Items to Pokemon is forbidden

3. Moves of choice
Pokemon are only allowed to use one move of their choice until they switch away.

4. Surf and Waterfall
Using the moves Surf and Waterfall is forbidden

5. Draco Meteor/Outrage
Using moves Draco Meteor and Outrage is forbidden

6. Protecting
Using Protect, King's Shield, Spiky Shield, Quick Guard and other similar moves that negate damage completely is forbidden

7. Switching out
Switching out manually is forbidden. You can still switch using moves like U-turn, Volt Switch, Baton Pass or be forcibly switched by your opponent.

8. Healing
Using moves, abilities and items that heal your Pokemon or drain health from opponent is forbidden.

9. Copycat
Using the same move two or more times in a row is forbidden. The move Encore is also forbidden.

10. Inflicting Status
Non-attacking moves that inflict major status to a Pokemon (Will-Wisp, Toxic, Hypnosis, Thunder Wave) are forbidden. Attacks that cause status on chance are still allowed.

11. Berries
Using Berries is forbidden

12. 100+ Power
Using moves with 100 or more initial base power is forbidden. Moves that raise the power conditionally (Revenge, Facade, Venoshock) are still allowed. Return and Frustration are forbidden as well.
13. 90- Power
Using moves with less than 90 initial base power is forbidden.

14. Changing Weather
Moves and abilities that change the weather are forbidden.

15. Sleeping
Inflicting sleep on yourself or your opponent is forbidden.
16. Harming and targeting allies
Harming and targeting allied Pokemon in a Double battle is forbidden.

17. Earthquakes
The moves Earthquake, Magnitude and Fissure are forbidden.

18. Raising Stats
Moves and items that raise your own stats or have the chance to raise your stats are forbidden.

19. Missing and Evasion
Moves with less that 100 base accuracy are forbidden. Abilites and moves that raise evasion/decrease accuracy are also forbidden.

20. Physical Moves
Using moves that calculate your Attack is forbidden.

21. Special Moves
Using moves that calculate your Special Attack is forbidden.

22. Entry Hazards
The moves Stealth Rock, Spikes, Toxic Spikes and Sticky Wed are forbidden.

23. Not attacking
Moves that do not deal direct damage to opponent are forbidden. Sucker Punch under this rule is allowed.

24. Multi-hit moves
Moves that strike 2 or more times are forbidden.

25. Harming Yourself
Using moves that can cause recoil or self-knockout on your Pokemon and the item Life Orb is forbidden. Pokemon with Rock Head can still use recoil moves.

26. Lowering Opponent's stats
Using moves that lower the opponent's stats or have a chance to lower then is forbidden.

27. Flinching
Using moves that cause the opponent to flinch is forbidden.

28. Priority
Using moves and abilities that give you +1 or more priority is forbidden. This also inculdes move from Protect list.

29. Accuracy
Offensive moves with 100 base accuracy and those that do not miss are forbidden. Moves and abilities that raise accuracy/lower evasion are also forbidden, including No Guard. Pokemon with Hustle can use any kind of attacking move (except for no-miss moves).

30. Provocation
Using the moves Taunt, Swagger, Flatter, Torment, Disable, Attract and Encore is forbidden.

31. More than 10 PP
Moves that have more than 10 PP are forbidden. Boosing moves with PP UP is also forbidden.

32. 3 moves
Pokemon can only use 3 moves in a battle. The last move slot must be empty.

33. 2 moves
Pokemon can only use 2 moves in a battle. The other two move slots must be empty.

34. Not using Same-Type move
The Pokemon can use only the moves of the same type(s) as it is. The ability Color Change is forbidden.

35. Using Same-Type move
The Pokemon cannot use moves of the same type(s) as it is.

36. Contact moves
Using moves that cause contact with opposing Pokemon is forbidden.

37. Non-contact moves
Using moves that do not cause contact with opposing Pokemon is forbidden.

38. Negative Priority
Using moves and abilities that give you -1 or more priority is forbidden. Trick Room is also under this list.

39. 60- power
Using moves with more than 60 base power is forbidden.

40. Two-turn moves
Using moves that normally would spent two or more of your turns is forbidden (including SolarBeam and Future Sight).

41. Fire, Electric and Ice
Using Fire-, Electric- and Ice- type moves is forbidden.

42. Normal moves
Using moves that are of Normal-type is forbidden. The ability Normalize is also forbidden.

43. Flying moves
Using moves that are of Flying-type is forbidden.
44. Water moves
Using moves that are of Water-type is forbidden.

45. Restoring Status
Using moves and abilities that cure your Pokemon from status effects is forbidden.
46. Hidden Power
Using the move Hidden Power is forbidden.

47. Non-combat damage
You are only allowed to damage your opponent with attacking moves. Inflicting Burn and Poison on your opponent is forbidden. Sandstorm and Hail are forbidden, the moves Leech Seed, Curse (Ghost), Stealth Rock, Spikes and Toxic Spikes are forbidden as well. Trapping moves that deal damage after use are also forbidden. Abilities that cause damage on contact are also not allowed.

48. Speeding
Using moves, items and abilities that raise your Speed or lower opponent's Speed is forbidden. The move Trick Room is also forbidden.

49. Constantly Attacking
Using attacking moves two or more turns in a row is forbidden.

50. Choice Items
Using Choice Band, Choice Specs and Choice Scarf is forbidden.

51. Super-effective moves
Using super-effective moves on the current staying target is forbidden. Hitting a switched Pokemon or a Pokemon who changed its type in battle with super-effective move is still allowed.

52. Immunity switch
Switching to a Pokemon that is immune to an opponent's attacking move is forbidden.

53. Forced switching
Using the moves Roar, Dragon Tail, Whirlwind, Circle Throw, Baton Pass, U-Turn, Volt Switch and the item Red Card is forbidden.

54. 10 or less PP
Using moves that have 10 or less base PP is forbidden.

55. Dark moves
Using moves that are of Dark type is forbidden.

56. Fight moves
Using moves that are of Fighting type is forbidden.

57. Psychic and Ghost moves
Using moves that are of Psyching or Ghost type is forbidden.
58. Grass and Bug moves
Using moves that are of Grass or Bug type is forbidden.

59. Poison
Using Poison moves and moves/items/abilites that cause poisoning is forbidden.

60. Electric and paralyze
Using Electric moves and moves/abilities that cause paralysis is forbidden.
61. Fire and Burn
Using Fire moves and moves/items/abilities that can cause burn is forbidden.

62. Ice and Freeze
Using Ice moves and moves that cause freezing is forbidden.

63. Ground
Using Ground moves is forbidden.

64. Dragon and Fairy
Using Dragon and Fairy moves is forbidden.

65. Rock and Steel
Using Rock and Steel moves is forbidden.

66. Non-Berry items
Using items that are not Berries is forbidden.

67. Consumable items
Using the items that can be consumed in battle is forbidden.

68. Non-consumable items
Using the items that cannot be consumed in battle is forbidden.

69. Stealing items
Using the moves Thief, Knock Off, Cover, Trick, Switcheroo, Bug Bite, and Pluck is forbidden. the Ability Magician is also forbidden.

70. 75-100 Power
Using the moves that have more than 100 Base Power or less that 75 Base Power is forbidden.

71. Raising Critical Hit rate
Moves, items and abilites that raise the chance of a critical hit are forbidden. This includes the Sniper ability as well.

72. Fluctuating Moves
Using attacking moves that do not have the fixed Base Power (such as Return, Grass Knot or Revenge) is forbidden.

73. Defensive Screens
Using Reflect, Light Screen, Safeguard, Mist and Substitute is forbidden.

74. Not using the same items
All of your Pokemon must hold the same item or hold no items at all.

75. One-hit KO
Using a move that knocks out a Pokemon's HP from full to zero is forbidden. This rule will not apply on the turn the opponent is switching his Pokemon.

76. Hidden Abilities
Using Pokemon with Hidden Abilities is forbidden.

77. Reaction Abilties
Using Pokemon with abilities that react on being hit (Flame Body, Iron Barbs, Mummy, Water Absorb) is forbidden.

78. Staying for more than 3 turns
Keeping a single Pokemon for more than one turn in the field is forbidden. Moves and Abilities that trap opposing Pokemon on the field are also forbidden.

79. Staying for less than 3 turns
Switching your Pokemon in less than three turns is forbidden.

80. Not using Normal-type attacks
Each Pokemon must have at least one attack that is of Normal-type (be it Return or other offfensive move).

81. One attacking move
Each Pokemon can only have one attacking move in its movepool.

82. Confusion and Infatuation
Moves and abilities that inflict infatuation and confusion or have a chance to inflict it are forbidden (even on yourself).

83. Resetting Stats and Hazards
Resetting stats on Pokemon by using a non-KO move or forced switch is forbidden. Removal of entry hazards is also forbidden (except for Poison-types on Toxic Spikes).

84. Bracing
The abilities Sturdy, Multiscale, Solid Rock, the items Focus Band and Focus Sash, and the move Endure are forbidden.

85. Area Effect moves
In Double Battle, moves that hit two or more Pokemon are forbidden.

86. Not targeting opposing target
In Double Battle, you must target only the Pokemon that is directly opposing your Pokemon (if it is on the field). Multi-hit moves are not affected bu this rule. Thrash and similar moves are forbidden.

87. Spreading Attacks
In Double Battle, both of your Pokemon can only attack the same single target. Area effect moves are not affected but this rule. Thrash and similar moves are forbidden.

88. Changing Forms
Using moves, abilities and items that change your Pokemon's type or appearance is forbidden. Your Pokemon must stay in the original form that they were first introduced.

89. Not using Attract
If your opponent has a Pokemon of opposite gender, then you must use Attract and have that Pokemon fall in love or be infatuated yourself before doing anything else. The ability Oblivious is forbidden. Each Pokemon with gender than can learn Attract must have it in its movepool.

90. Chance Effects
Attacks that have a chance to inflict an effect or flinch are forbidden, unless the Pokemon using then has Sheer Force.

91. Sound-based moves
The usage of sound moves is forbidden.

92. Ball and Bomb moves
The ball and bomb moves (all of those in Bulletproof ability's list) are forbidden.

93. Non-Plate items
Pokemon are only allowed to use Plates and Silk Scarf.

94. Punches and Kicks
Punching and kicking moves are forbidden (except for Sucker Punch).

95. Consecutive KO
Performing a KO right on the turn after you already KO another opposing Pokemon is forbidden.

96. Fangs and claws
Using moves that involve fangs, claws or slashes is forbidden (except for Air Slash and other special moves)

97. No-Fly Zone
The item Air Ballon are forbidden. Any Flying or levitating Pokemon must have an Iron Ball equipped (or change its ability). The moves Magnet Rise, Telekinesis, Fly, Bounce and Sky Drop are forbidden. Gerring rid of Iron Ball via Fling and other moves is also forbidden.

98. Balloons only
Any Pokemon that is not Flying-type or Levitator must have Air Ballon equipped.

99. Not using two-turn moves
Pokemon can attack only with moves that take two or more turns before being able to act again (Hyper Beam variants and Future Sight included). Non-damaging moves are still allowed.

100. Not using all four moves
Your Pokemon must use each of its four moves once. Once 4 moves are executed, the Pokemon has to start the cycle again, without repeating the last used move. You can still switch in battle at any point to reset the cycle. The moves Taunt and Encore are forbidden.

You can sign up your Pokemon teams now in preparation for the first Law Battle day. I'm planning to reveal the first law on this Friday, and that will be the first day upon which you'll participate in Law Battles. In addition to that, I have already submitted an application for the Law Battle Tournament. But before that gets approved, you'll have to give yourself some practive in Law Battles first, so sign up for Daily Law Battles!

Remember - you must post all of your six Pokemon species in order to sign up for Law Battles. Once you've done that, all you have to do is to wait for the next law to be announced. Once the new law is announced, all you have to do is to find other competitors in Showdown chat rooms and challenge then in Law Battle using the team that you submitted here. You can only challenge each participant once per day. To ensure your victory will be solidified, make sure to save a replay of your Law Battle. I will also participate in Law Battles myself using the Pokemon team above, so do your best to find and challenge me!

You can sign up for Law Battles Daily now. Good luck to you, folks! If the Law Battles become popular long enough, we might even be able to create a separate Chat Room dedicated to Law Battles!

Last edited:
Rule 31 is impossible to enforce on PS!, as the maximum amount of PP UPs are assumed to be given to a mon for every move. Rule 90 also seems a little excessive. Also, good luck finding players! :)

Regarding Rule 31, I mean moves that have 10 or less base PP. So on PS! those moves will have 8 and 16 PP, respectively, but you will still be unable to use move that have 15 or more base PP.

Yeah, some of the rules might be a little excessive to some players, but by mastering all 100 rules with the same team of six Pokemon you can prove that you are really an outstanding Pokemon expert!

So, you really think this can only belong to the custom metagame, right?

Ok, I might make a related thread there, but you should still suggest your opinion and thoughts on those kinds of battles.

I'm moving this discussion to Other Metagames subforum. Those of you who are interested in Law Battles should head there!

If you are interested in actually testing Law Battles, find me in Pokemon Showdown Chat rooms! Challenge me to a Law Battle once I announce my law in a chat room! Good luck!

I'm busy on work days, but on this weekend I should be able to find good challengers! PM me if you are interested.

We will fight by using the same pre-made Pokemon team, with different laws between each battle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)