move 3: Shadow Sneak
move 4: Thief / Pain Split
ability: Sticky Hold
item: Berry Juice
evs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Def / 36 SpD
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
- Gunk Shot is Grimer's most powerful STAB and the buff to its accuracy makes it superior to Poison Jab
- Fire Punch takes out most steel types such as Pawniard
- Shadow Sneak allows Grimer to bypass its terrible speed
- Pain Split is used to keep Grimer healthy but is underwhelming with its high base HP
- Thief is used to obtain your opponent's items after losing your berry juice
- Thief and Shadow Sneak have near identical coverage though both hitting ghosts and psychics for SE damage

Set Details
========
- This spread (almost) guarantees a 3HKO on Misdreavus's shadow ball and Pawniards Knock Off after Stealth Rock
- This spread uses an Adamant nature in order to 2HKO pawniard and OHKO spritzee after Stealth Rock
- Berry Juice gives Grimer some recovery and allows him to tank further knock offs

Usage Tips
========
- Grimer should be used to protect your team from knock off users such as Mienfoo
- It should be noted that this set can only check Pawniard as it cannot OHKO eviolite pawniard with either Fire Punch or Power Up Punch

Team Options
========
-Porygon is a good partner as Grimer protects it from fighting moves and knock off and porygon can spread paralysis for Grimer
- Grimer can secure lots more OHKOs such as on Spritzee with Stealth Rock support
- Grimer appreciates Dark and Flying types to help protect it from ground and psychic moves

Other Options
########
- Grimer has a very deep physical movepool with access to the elemental punches
- Grimer can use an Infestation trapping set
- A mono attacking restalk curse set can be used as well

Checks and Counters
########
**Ground-Types** Resist Grimer's STAB and can 2HKO or OHKO with Earthquake
**Rock-Types** See above
**Faster Psychic Types** Abra can check Grimer or counter and lose its sash
**Bulky Water Types** Bulky water types such as Slowpoke and Restalk Chinchou can take Grimer's attacks and heal off the damage

Last edited by a moderator:
umm so the formatting for sets is this:

Bulky Attacker
########
name: Bulky Attacker
move 1: Gunk Shot
move 2: Fire Punch / Power-up Punch
move 4: Pain Split
item: Eviolite
evs: 116 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Def

I'm not sure if the dex's syntax will be picky about caps, but some can be, so I changed it to how every other analysis looks. every line with a '#' or a '=' should contain only 8 of the respective symbol. and remove the "movesets" header altogether, it's unnecessary.

umm so the formatting for sets is this:

Bulky Attacker
########
name: Bulky Attacker
move 1: Gunk Shot
move 2: Fire Punch / Power-up Punch
move 4: Pain Split
item: Eviolite
evs: 116 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Def

I'm not sure if the dex's syntax will be picky about caps, but some can be, so I changed it to how every other analysis looks. every line with a '#' or a '=' should contain only 8 of the respective symbol. and remove the "movesets" header altogether, it's unnecessary.
Thanks! Sorry I'm kinda new at this.

This is a good analyses so far. This is the set I'd consider adding:

Grimer @ Eviolite
Ability: Poison Touch
Level: 5
EVs: 200 SDef / 108 Atk / 200 HP
Calm Nature
- Pain Split
- Protect
- Toxic
- Hidden Power Ground

It needs formatting as it is copy and pasted from the teambuilder, but it is a mean stall set for grimer, good SpD and pain split for recovery. HP ground is for steel types and poison types, the only two that grimer cannot stall out with toxic and protect.

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Grimer @ Eviolite
Calm Nature
- Pain Split
- Protect
- Toxic
- Hidden Power Ground
I assume that you don't mean to put Atk EVs in, considering that none of those moves are attacking moves.

Grimer @ Eviolite
Calm Nature
- Pain Split
- Protect
- Toxic
- Hidden Power Ground

It needs formatting as it is copy and pasted from the teambuilder, but it is a mean stall set for grimer, good SpD and pain split for recovery. HP ground is for steel types and poison types, the only two that grimer cannot stall out with toxic and protect.
Grimer is very much outclassed as toxic spreader, Trubbish can do this better with recycle berry juice and Grimer's high base HP makes pain split unreliable in healing. If you're not running Sticky Hold on Grimer (which you aren't) you might as well use koffing as it can spread burns and toxic has a higher special stat to abuse hidden power and a lower base HP for healing. Besides, toxic really isn't a very good status in little cup as the fast switch oriented nature of the metagame makes Toxic stalling a poor choice. The bulky attacking set is the only set I can see Grimer doing well without being outclassed by either Trubbish or Koffing as it plays to Grimer's strengths over these other two options.

I'm going to go the QC phase for this thread as I can't really see any other sets that could be added at this time.

Bumping for some checks also edited out the one mention of meditite and adjusted the EV spread as surviving meditite was my benchmark on defenses benchmark is now 3HKO on Pawn's Knock off and Missy's shadow ball after stealth rock.

What exactly does Eviolite do that Berry Juice doesn't do better? You have Sticky Hold so Berry Juice can't get Knocked Off and has more overall bulk (I'm almost certain) than Eviolite. Then you don't need to use Pain Split (which I would probably never use anyway). It leaves room for Gunk Shot / Fire Punch / Shadow Sneak / [Curse/Power-Up Punch/etc].

What exactly does Eviolite do that Berry Juice doesn't do better? You have Sticky Hold so Berry Juice can't get Knocked Off and has more overall bulk (I'm almost certain) than Eviolite. Then you don't need to use Pain Split (which I would probably never use anyway). It leaves room for Gunk Shot / Fire Punch / Shadow Sneak / [Curse/Power-Up Punch/etc].
Yeah you're right berry juice does better than eviolite at improving grimer's bulk, especially since its going to be knocked off all the time. I'll adjust the fourth moveslot with slashes for power-up punch though I don't think Grimer is going to live long enough to rack up many curses with this spread, thanks!

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't like power-up punch it's really weak and grimer is too slow to abuse... firepunch is good enough

thief is very cool in the last slot though especially with berry juice, that should be primary slash imo

I don't like power-up punch it's really weak and grimer is too slow to abuse... firepunch is good enough

thief is very cool in the last slot though especially with berry juice, that should be primary slash imo
Implemented, thanks! (Thief is my favorite move in that slot too)

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I see no mention of Shadow Sneak and Thief hitting Ghosts and Psychics (really Misdreavus and Abra). I'd mention that.

Make the EV spread: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Def / 36 SpD Adamant. Due to Grimer's high HP and ability to steal Eviolite with Thief, it is more efficient to invest in some Special Defense. 36 evs suffice, you would rather hit 14 defense to tank physical threats better and hit Eviolite numbers on both. I've actually used Grimer a lot, and that set / spread is what I have been successful with.

3/3

Make the EV spread: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Def / 36 SpD Adamant. Due to Grimer's high HP and ability to steal Eviolite with Thief, it is more efficient to invest in some Special Defense. 36 evs suffice, you would rather hit 14 defense to tank physical threats better and hit Eviolite numbers on both. I've actually used Grimer a lot, and that set / spread is what I have been successful with.

3/3
Yeah good point defense is better for fulfilling grimers primary purpose dealing with fighting types.

Btw I should have this written up by Friday hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)