Hawlucha

mfw no flying gem

Overview
########

Sadly, Hawlucha has numerous flaws that prevent it from making much of an impact in the OU metagame. The most crippling problem with Hawlucha is that it is countered or checked by some of the best and most common Pokemon in the tier, namely Aegislash, Thundurus, and Talonflame. On top of this, Hawlucha is heavily outclassed by other sweepers, particularly Mega Pinsir, and it cannot break through most defensive cores without a ton of support. However, Hawlucha does have its advantages. Unlike most sweepers in OU, Hawlucha is not reliant on priority; it outspeeds everything in the entire game after Unburden has been activated. It also has a crucial neutrality to Stealth Rock unlike Mega Pinsir. Hawlucha is not a bad Pokemon per se; the metagame is simply extremely unkind to it. If it is provided with adequate support though, Hawlucha is quite capable of pulling its weight in battle.

Swords Dance
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Acrobatics
move 3: High Jump Kick
move 4: Sky Attack
ability: Unburden
item: Power Herb
evs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

Swords Dance gives Hawlucha the power it needs to threaten defensive Pokemon and also lets it sweep severely weakened teams. Acrobatics is Hawlucha's main STAB option since it is decently powerful and has no drawbacks, while High Jump Kick is used for Fighting-type STAB, though it comes with a nasty side effect of causing recoil damage when it misses. Sky Attack is used alongside Power Herb to activate Unburden and is quite powerful, OHKOing Pokemon such as Garchomp at +2.

Set Details
========

The given Speed EVs allow Hawlucha to outspeed Garchomp before Unburden. Adamant is the nature of choice because Hawlucha outspeeds the entire unboosted metagame and most of the boosted metagame with Unburden active even without a Speed boosting nature. Jolly can be used to outspeed Latios, Latias, Keldeo, Terrakion, and Gengar before Unburden and OHKO them with Sky Attack, but the Speed is entirely unnecessary once Unburden has been activated, and Hawlucha needs all the power it can get it order to sweep since its base Attack is rather low.

Usage Tips
========

Use Swords Dance on a predicted switch or against a Pokemon that cannot threaten Hawlucha. Refrain from setting up or using Sky Attack until Hawlucha's checks and counters have been removed or severely weakened, since Hawlucha will rarely get more than one chance to sweep because of the one-time use nature of Unburden. If you get Hawlucha in early-game, the best option is generally to either double switch into Pokemon a that threatens Hawlucha's counters or spam High Jump Kick if your opponent lacks a Ghost-type. Be wary of Protect users, especially ones that are weak to High Jump Kick, such as Chansey and Heatran.

Team Options
========

Pursuit support is almost mandatory for Hawlucha to help remove its biggest counter, Aegislash. Bisharp is the best answer to Aegislash in the tier and can easily come in and trap it. While Choice Scarf Tyranitar can't Pursuit trap Aegislash as easily as Bisharp can, it is great against Talonflame and Mega Pinsir, two of the other biggest threats to Hawlucha. Thundurus, Manectric, and Raikou are also good offensive checks to Talonflame and Mega Pinsir, and in addition, the latter two are also good answers to Thundurus. Excadrill can check Thundurus, Aegislash, and Clefable while also softening up physical walls such as Hippowdon for Hawlucha. Heatran has great defensive synergy with Hawlucha, can set up Stealth Rock to give it an easier time sweeping, and is a great switch-in to Aegislash, Talonflame, and Unaware Clefable.

Other Options
########

Hawlucha can use a Baton Pass set with Substitute and Swords Dance in order to lure in Aegislash and give boosts to teammates such as Bisharp or Diggersby, but such a set is rarely worth the teamslot. Hawlucha can use Fling and a Dread Plate to OHKO Aegislash at +2, but if Aegislash uses King's Shield, the item is still lost, so it is unreliable and only works against unsuspecting players. Hawlucha can run a Life Orb set; however, the lack of strong Flying-type STAB and large amount of competition from superior options such as Terrakion make it a poor option overall.

Checks & Counters
########

**Aegislash**: Aegislash hard walls Hawlucha thanks to its great typing, bulk, and King's Shield. It can set up Substitutes on Hawlucha or hit it hard with Shadow Ball. However, it must be wary of the gimmicky Fling.

**Thundurus**: Thundurus resists Hawlucha's STAB moves and can stop its sweep with priority Thunder Wave or simply OHKO it with Thunderbolt.

**Priority**: Hawlucha lacks priority of any kind, so opposing priority users make great checks to it. In particular, Talonflame and Mega Pinsir can OHKO Hawlucha with Brave Bird and Quick Attack, respectively.

**Zapdos**: Thanks to its typing, Zapdos is not 2HKOed by even a boosted Hawlucha's STAB moves and can OHKO it with Thunderbolt.

**Physical walls**: While not perfect stops to Hawlucha, physical walls such as Hippowdon and Skarmory can usually take a STAB move at +2 and phaze it out.

Last edited:
I don't know if you should mention so many negative things about Hawlucha in learning how to use Hawlucha.
It isn't all about learning how to use Hawlucha, analyses are objective and thus need to be an accurate representation of the viability of a Pokemon. Because Hawlucha is only getting an analysis due to policy requiring it, then the amount of negativity really isn't an issue here.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
On a side note I think Hawlucha shouldn't focus too much on bypassing Aegislash. Though it is its number one counter there are Pokemon that can support Hawlucha to remove it. Bisharp seems to pair really well with Hawlucha just because Bisharp doesn't really care that much about what teammates it has. Also, Hawlucha does nicely with clearing out potentially faster threats like Terrakion and Keldeo - who usually check Bisharp pretty well.

(This also explains why Dread Plate + Fling is OO).

The reason it was moved to OO is because if Aegislash uses King's Shield as you use Fling, you still lose the item and are still walled by Aegislash. If this were not the case, it would definitely be the main set, as not being hard countered by the best and most common Pokemon in the tier is definitely a big deal.

As a side note, I haven't had much of a chance to do any testing yet, but a subpass set honestly seems better than the Swords Dance set. It's really difficult to sweep when all of the best mons in the metagame laugh at you, not to mention how priority weak this thing is. The subpass set, on the other hand, sounds like an excellent Aegislash lure and a great partner to something like Bisharp or Diggersby that would love free SDs and Subs and can easily beat Aegislash. I'll be sure to test both of them out though.

Can Encore be mentioned? I find it has use in some situations, like Encore'ing Stealth Rock from Ferrothorn and the likes.

Also hooray for the fighting/flying type I wanted so badly. Too bad it's not that good :/

I realize Hawlucha has really low priority, but any progress on this young Magnemite ?
Yeah, I'm working on it (lol it's a good thing I saw this I didn't get an alert fsr). I'm less busy now, so I'll be able to work on it. Also, I'd like to make sure that the set I have right now is the best Hawlucha can accomplish, because it's really bad and Hawlucha might have something it can do that it is actually unique or decent at (though I doubt it).

What's the story w/ my Fling + King's Rock? Is it a safe way to trigger Unburden? Edit: like with Fake Out + Normal Gem?

Last edited:
What's the story w/ my Fling + King's Rock? Is it a safe way to trigger Unburden? Edit: like with Fake Out + Normal Gem?
I already said why Fling isn't on the set:
The reason it was moved to OO is because if Aegislash uses King's Shield as you use Fling, you still lose the item and are still walled by Aegislash. If this were not the case, it would definitely be the main set, as not being hard countered by the best and most common Pokemon in the tier is definitely a big deal.

Probably should combine Talonflame and priority.
I think Talonflame and Pinsir should have their own sections, as they are the only priority users that flat-out OHKO Hawlucha. There are like 300 priority users in OU that can weaken Hawlucha, but not completely stop its sweep, unlike the birds, so imo they should have their own sections.

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just remember to change your checks and counters section to the new format and specify what Pokemon fall under "priority" and "physical walls". You could also talk about other physical Flying-type attacks in OO if you think it's worth it. This is poor Pokemon, but I suppose we have to give it an analysis because it's BL right now. :(

QC APPROVED 1/4

Thanks for the checks, guys! I'd like to point out that Hawlucha will be dropped to UU again for a short time for retesting, but it was so broken in UU that it's not going to last very long, so please don't immediately reject this once you see that this has happened.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the checks, guys! I'd like to point out that Hawlucha will be dropped to UU again for a short time for retesting, but it was so broken in UU that it's not going to last very long, so please don't immediately reject this once you see that this has happened.
In the event that this happens I can dig the analysis out again from rejected / outdated and place a special tag on it.

Just gonna say that I've been testing it a lot lately and it's actually very good with the right support, I don't have any replays cuz I don't save them but it has pulled off multiple late game sweeps against good players. I would deemphasize it's shittyness, and basically say that a pursuit bisharp is mandatory

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Yes, you can tone down the dissent in the overview a bit more

Highlight the fact that Hawlucha is extremely fast after unburden, and the fact that it has a pretty good STAB combo with very high powered moves. Its raw speed after unburden and SR neutrality are a couple things I can think of that separate it from MEga Pinsir.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)