Rate my VGC '14 Team

Hi all,

Entering the VGC '14 finals this weekend and wanted to get some opinions on the team i'll be using

Azumarill w/ Sitrus Berry
Huge Power

Belly Drum
Protect
Aqua Jet
Play Rough

Bellyjet set. Enjoy pairing him with Amoongus or with Kangh (for fake out). Risky, but the damage output and a priority move is just ridiculous. Also useful as I sometimes pair him with Sableye to take down TalonFlame / Charizard combos. a great pokemon.

Chandelure w/ Focus Sash
Flash Fire

Shadow Ball
Energy Ball
Heat Wave
Protect

Was running a scarf set on him but his move pool is so diverse its a shame to be locked in to one move. Heat Wave hits both pokemon for tons of damage, and teh focus sash means he can survive a sucker punch and take down BiSharps and Mawiles.

Bisharp w/ Life Orb
Defiant

Iron Head
Night Slash
Sucker Punch
Protect

A great pokemon, I was running him with focus sash and to great effect but think Chandelure is a better user of it. Life orb hurts a bit and debating swapping for a choice band / scarf

Kanghaskan w/ Kanghaskanite

Fake Out
Rock Slide
Return
Sucker Punch

My mega of choice. I just love that there are entire teams devoted to trying to stop him. His power is incredible.

Sableye w/ Leftovers
Prankster

Rain Dance
Taunt
Will-O-Wisp
Foul Play

Love this little guy. Great for stopping trick room teams before they set up with Prankster taunt. And for burning Kang, Garchomp and other physical attackers. Pairing him with Azumarill stops Charizard dead in his tracks and boosts Azumarills priority move.

Amoongus w/ Black Sludge
Effect Spore

Spore
Rage Powder
Giga Drain
Protect

If against a defensive looking team i'll pair him with Azumarill and go for the Bellyjet combo. Useful against Rotom-W as well who i tend to struggle with.

So what do you guys think? Bisharp's item is a quandry for me, but are my tactics and move sets A OK?

hey, you got lucky. Got the thread moved instead of locked. Mantyke must have been in a good mood.

As for the team, I'm probably even a lower rank than you are, but one thing catches my attention: Amoonguss having Effect Spore. I haven't had any experience with it, but I personally wouldn't run it due to the fact that a pokemon can make contact and get, say, paralyzed, so the Spore you used on it doesn't work. On someone like Breloom, go ahead. But I wouldn't run it on Amoonguss, especially since regenerator is also a good ability.

looks like a solid team with some good synergy :)

few suggestions
  • try assurance over night slash on bisharp - it is slower than most of your team and 3 time korean national champion Sejun Park along with worlds2012 runner-up Wolfe Glick used it successfully, so it is definitely viable since bisharp is fairly slow!
  • try power-up punch or hammer arm over rock slide on kangaskhan - rock slide unfortunately does not hit twice due to it being a spread move :( power-up punch boosts your attack to sky-high levels and can transition into kangaskhan sweeping entire teams with return and sucker punch. it also gives you some nice coverage versus opposing tyranitar and bisharp, which are starting to rise in usage
  • try regenerator > effect spore on amoonguss - your team has really good switching synergy and effect spore can ruin your chance at putting a pokemon to sleep accidently
  • also try rocky helmet > black sludge if you plan on using regen. because ammonguss will be staying on the field for quite some time.
also, I noticed that your RMT did not include any EVs or Natures. I do not know if you wanted to prevent scouting or just forgot, but I will suggest some to you below:

Azumarill: 212 HP / 252 Attack / 44 leftover Adamant - this allows Sitrus Berry to activate after Belly Drum

Chandelure: I would just go for 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed Modest since you're using Sash, this allows you to get a fairly fast hit on the opponent

Bisharp: 252 Atk / 76 Def / 180 Spd Adamant (IVs: 29 HP) - this minimizes LO recoil and allows you to survive some physical attacks that would not be possible using 76 HP

Kangaskhan - 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP Jolly - simple, this allows you to hit as hard and fast as possible and lets you get off a fast Fake Out

Sableye - 252 HP / 252 SpDef / 4 Def or Speed - since you're using WoW, there is no need for physical defense EVs

Amoonguss: 252 HP / 60 Def / 68 Spd / 4 SAtk / 124 SDef Calm - this allows Amoonguss to live an insane amount of attacks such as Mega Kangaskhan's Return, outspeed Quiet 0 speed IV Aegislash to get the spore off and overall be very bulky. I am pretty sure it can live anything from Mega Charizard Y / X as long as Rain is up.

overall, really nice team, I <3 Kanga + Bisharp / Azumarill leads :D
good luck at your tournament !

~tommy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)