Beauty and the Beasts

I changed my team up from my weather team and changed it up to a team works quite well together in doubles.

Gardevoir (F) @Gardevoirite
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Modest Nature
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Dazzling Gleam
-Calm Mind

Gardevoir is my lead pokemon, (Hence Beauty), it's high special attack means that once i've got a calm mind off, it is able to deal massive damage. Shadow Ball was added to take care of any psychic's that would use the same method against it.

Tornadus-T Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Hp
Timid Nature
-Air Slash
-Grass Knot
-Dark Pulse
-Psychic

Tornadus-T is the head of my beasts, it is a setup i took here from smogon and it works well when coupled with my Gardevoir with it's moveset countering many of her weaknesses, it's regenerator ability means it can switch out and come back to deal more damage later.

Garchomp @Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Sp. Atk
Naive Nature
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
-Fire Blast

Garchomp is the main physical attacker within my beasts, with Choice Scarf improving it's speed it is sure to get straight into a battle and attack ferociously, with Fire Blast taking care of it's Ice weakness and Stone Edge taking care of Togekiss threats. Coupled with my TTar this pokemon also has a higher evasion.

Tyranitar @Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 Sp. Def
Bold Nature
-Ice Beam
-Dragon Claw
-Stone Edge
-Crunch

TTar is my Bulky Sweeper in battles with sandstorm damaging enemies everyturn coupled with the STAB bonus of crunch. Ice beam takes care of dragon threats, the chople berry is to safe TTar from a fatal fighting attack so it can retaliate.

Mienshao Expert Belt
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
-Knock Off
-Power-Up Punch
-U-turn
-Baton Pass

Mienshao is the support of my team with power-up punch raising its attack stat and then being able to switch with baton pass to another physical attack is an effective strategy, the expert belt helps give it a boost with its super effective moves.

I haven't decided on a final member for my team, if you guys have any suggestions i would love to hear them and any critisicm of my team is welcome and i will act on it.

I haven't got time to do a proper rate (and this isn't a full RMT as it currently stands) but a few general points:

Gardevoir - Use Hyper Voice over Dazzling Gleam. You won't get many chances to sweep with Calm Mind as she will be double targeted if she gets boosts, and the rest of your team has nomethods of disruption such as Fake Out, Follow Me or Rage Powder.

Garchomp - Scarves are generally quite hard to use in Doubles. The move Protect is everywhere and once the opponent knows your locked into a move it is easy for them to switch to a resist. Particularly for Garchomp with Flying types and Levitators everywhere, as well as Fairies, you don't want to be locked into either of his STAB moves. Switch to Rough Skin with Rocky Helmet which helps against one of Doubles' biggest threats - M-Kangaskhan. Change Stone Edge to Rock Slide to hit both opponents and consider Protect over Fire Blast.

Tyranitar - Why would you have Dragon Claw as well as Ice Beam? Again, switch Stone Edge to Rock Slide and add Protect. Consider Bisharp over this with a Focus Sash. Iron Head dents most things and Sucker Punch and Knock Off are excellent too.

Mienshao - Try out M-Kangaskhan. It has a very powerful Fake Out that you can use many times throughout the match to disrupt the opponent, Power-Up Punch hits twice so it gets a Swords Dance boost and Return and Sucker Punch provide power and priority. It's one of the few threats that doesn't need Protect. Unfortunately you would have to switch Gardevoir for something like Cresselia.

Hi Series Delta, welcome to Smogon! :D This rate may be a little critical, but don't be offended; just trying to help out!

As I've seen with most players getting into the Doubles metagame, your team lacks Protect; an extremely vital move in Doubles that allows you scout your opponent and also disrupt double targeting. You also have a gaping Fairy-type weakness; an opposing Mega-Gardevoir or Sylveon could easily sweep and decimate your team as three members of your team are weak to Fairy-type moves and you have no Pokémon that resist those attacks. In my opinion, Mienshao is the main source of this highly noticeable weakness due to the fact he has absolutely no bulk (which your team lacks) and simply just adds an extra Fairy-type weakness to your team. Since you are utilizing him as a supporter to provide the other members of your team with an attack boost, I recommend replacing Mienshao with Cresselia, probably one of the best support Pokémon in the Doubles metagame.

Cresselia (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 44 SAtk / 112 SDef
Calm Nature
- Icy Wind
- Psyshock
- Helping Hand
- Light Screen

Cresselia brings to your team some much-needed bulk while providing your team with effective speed control via Icy Wind and an indirect offensive presence via Helping Hand. A Calm Nature with Max HP and 112 SpD EVs allows Cresselia to be a specially defensive wall that's difficult to take down, surviving a STAB Shadow Ball from Modest Gengar-Mega without getting 2HKO'ed when factoring in a Sitrus Berry. The 100 Def EV's invested guarantees that Cresselia with Sitrus Berry will survive a Pin Missile from Heracross-Mega and won't get 2HKO'ed from a Double-Edge from Kangaskhan-Mega and the remaining 44 EVs are invested into Special Attack for a slight offensive boost. Icy Wind is a great spread move for speed control and can even deal a significant amount of damage to common Doubles threats such as Landorus-T, Skymin, and Garchomp. Psyshock is a solid STAB move that hits Hitmontop and Venusaur hard and is useful against Pokémon that are mainly specially defensive. Helping Hand provides your partner with a convenient 1.5x attack boost, while Light Screen bolsters your team's Special Defense as a whole for a period of time.

Moving on, there are a couple set changes I would like to make. To start off, you're not utilizing Mega-Gardevoir's ability Pixilate, which turns Normal-type moves into Fairy-type moves with an extra 1.3x boost. Use Hyper Voice > Dazzling Gleam to be able to take advantage of her Pixilate ability and a little added bonus; Hyper Voice can hit through Substitute as it is a sound-based type of move. And like jagged_angel mentioned in his post, Calm Mind isn't viable on Gardevoir because I am pretty sure she will be constantly double targeted as she is a huge threat. Therefore, Protect > Calm Mind so you can disrupt double targeting and scout your opponent. As for Tornadus-T, I recommend replacing Air Slash for STAB Hurricane (120 BP) for more power as Tornadus-T can 2HKO most Pokémon who doesn't resist Hurricane. Since you already have Psychic on Gardevoir and Psyshock on Cress (assuming you use her), Psychic is unnecessary on Tornadus and instead you should consider giving him Focus Blast > Psychic to deal heavy damage to common Doubles threats such as Bisharp, Mega-Kangaskhan, and Mega-Tyranitar.

As for Garchomp, it really doesn't need a Choice Scarf due to the fact it outspeeds Jolly Mega-Kangaskhan, Timid Mega-Charizard-Y, and most common threats in the Doubles metagame with just a Jolly Nature. Instead you should give Garchomp a Yache Berry to have the ability to survive a devastating Ice-type attack and strike back with a powerful attack. Rock Slide should also be preferred over Stone Edge as it is a spread move and you even get that occasional flinch hax. :P I honestly think Garchomp should carry Protect > Fire Blast to shield itself from attacks that could potentially OHKO it, leaving you partner to handle that threat while Garchomp is being shielded. Stone Edge (or Rock Slide if you choose to use it) already takes care of his Ice weakness so Fire Blast isn't needed. I understand you want Tyranitar to be a physical sweeper, but you gave him a defensive EV spread which doesn't make sense. I suggest giving him a spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def with an Adamant nature to make him the bulky physical sweeper you desired. With that being said, Ice Beam is deemed unnecessary and should be replaced by Low Kick for coverage against Rock, Steel, and Dark-types; notably Bisharp and opposing Tyranitars. You already have great Dragon-type coverage so Dragon Claw should be taken out for Protect so you can scout and block yourself from attacks that could deal heavy damage to Tyranitar. For both Garchomp and Tyranitar, you have the option of using Rock Slide for spread, but if you are running into Wide Guard constantly, Stone Edge is the way to go.

Since you need a final member, consider Special Aegislash! Aegislash is a great check to Fairy-types and carries two useful dual STABs in Flash Cannon and Shadow Ball.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

STAB Shadow Ball murders Ghost and Psychic-types, and even OHKO's Mega-Gengar (even with Max HP) 100% of the time while STAB Flash Cannon deals tons of damage towards Fairy-types, notably Mega-Gardevoir (252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir: 132-156 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO). And thanks to its Steel and Ghost typing, most Psychic-types are walled by Aegislash and are destroyed with its STAB Shadow Ball. Wide Guard protects you and your partner from incoming Heat Waves from Mega-Charizard-Y, Rock Slides from Lando-T, and Earthquakes from Garchomp. Weakness Policy is an extremely useful item on Aegislash due to the fact it can survive a devastating super-effective attack in its Shield form and counter with a +2 boost in its Blade form. King's Shield is a modified version of Protect that halves your opponent's Attack stat if Aegislash is attacked directly, and like Protect, you can mess up double targeeting and scout the opponent.

Anyway, hope I helped! Good luck :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)