Mega Heracross - The Destroyer

Introduction

Mega Heracross. A quote from JabbaTheGriffin: "I have a soft spot for Mega Evolutions that look downright retarded, and another soft spot for Mega Evolutions that 2HKO the entire metagame without setup". Mega Heracross is a beast within itself, it's monstrous attack stat of 185 makes it have one of the highest normal base attack stats in the game - only beat by Mega Mewtwo X (With abilities, Mega Mawile, Mega Medicham, Mega Kangaskhan and possibly a few more)! After seeing Joey's (Or Pokeaimmd's) Road To Top 10 and seeing Mega Heracross, I decided to take a closer look. Was I glad I did? Hell yeah I was! I found Heracross' true potential was yet to be seen, and I use this team to give Mega Heracross the support it needs to destroy the meta-game with just two clicks.

TeamBuilding
Obviously, our first member was Mega Heracross. After seeing Joey use it in his first part/episode of "Road To Top 10" I had to try it out. I did steal his set, so props to him too.

Next up, we all know Mega Heracross is slow. So now we want a good Sticky Web user to let Heracross to outspeed, and kill Pokemon. What's the best Sticky Web user? No! Not Galvantula you fool! Smeargle!

Afterwords, Heracross has one more big problem, it has a horrid weakness to Flying-Types, so I ended up bringing in Tyranitar, as it can also stop Flying Spam, and revenge kill all at the same time.

We're not on our break yet! Now need a good special attacker, so I brought in the tricky one, Gengar, into the party as it also has amazing synergy with Tyranitar.

The next Pokemon I decided on was something to deal with Conkeldurr, and Mega Venusaur. After a bit of consideration I knew Flying-Types would do spectacularly well against them, and there are a bunch so I could easily choose from some. I ended up choosing Deoxys-S as I won't need to use Defog/Spinner, and it adds a good way to revenge-kill without Sticky Web.
On my final slot, I wanted a medic, or a tank Pokemon. There was no Pokemon that could fit this role better then Unaware Clefable, stopping almost any setup Pokemon and supporting my team largely by Wish Passing, and using Heal Bell to stop status, which every Pokemon hates.

After about a day afterwords, Memoric suggested Shuckle over Smeargle, which I decided I would choose as it can still set up hazards very well.

At last, my team was finished, and it was ready to rock and roll through the Pokemon World.

Note: Sorry for making it into two parts, for an odd reason, the forums keep making it show two parts even though I only wrote one.

The Team At A Glance

The In-Depth Team

Hit it! (Heracross) @ Heracronite

Ability: Moxie
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd (Memoric)
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Pin Missile
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast

Heracross. The star of the team. After seeing Joey use it in his first part/episode of "Road To Top 10" I used it for experimenting, then a new found love for this thing was found in the process. The set isn't very standard, so I'll explain to the best of my ability. The EV spread and Nature allows Heracross to hit as hard as possible, and outspeed many threats once Sticky Web is down. The rest of the EVs are spreaded into bulk, but I leave 8 into HP and 4 into Defence to have an odd HP number. Swords Dance may seem pretty odd, but with it almost nothing takes a hit from it. With testing, it OHKO's almost every Poke in the tier with an SD up. Pin Missle is Heracross' main STAB attack, using it to take advantage of it's Ability. Earthquake/Rock Blast are coverage, and can be thought of as a EdgeQuake combo, but we'll call it EarthBlast (lol). What I love about Heracross is that it's one of the only Pokemon that can sweep swiftly thanks to being able to break through Sturdy, and Focus Sash's. Also note, once Sticky Web is down and Heracross (somehow) manages to get a +4 up, the game is practically over as Skarmory get's OHKO'd.

Don't Fuckle (Shuckle) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Infestation

Set credit all goes to Memoric. Shuckle was suggested by Memoric, and was a great suggestion! Shuckle fulfils the same role as Smeargle, but does it better with the much better bulk usually getting 2 hazards up. With Mental Herb, it allows Shuckle to not be Taunt bait. Sticky Web has been explained, it's used to make Mega Heracross outspeed things easily, Stealth Rock is more or less extra, but it helps stop things like Talonflame. Encore stops setup sweepers trying to use Shuckle, and Infestation can do some shenanigans with Encore :).
Currently Editing...

Tyrant (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 228 Spd / 252 Atk / 28 HP
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Tyranitar. I've rarely ever used the mon, but I loved it so much even when I didn't use it. Everything is great about it - It's typing, it's bulk, it's offences, it's movepool, it's design, nothing is wrong with the beast. EV spread outspeeds Thundurus with Choice Scarf. It's a reliable check to the Lati's, Thundurus, Mega Pinsir, and Talonflame. Stone Miss Edge is used to nail Flying-Types, and is also Tyranitar's best STAB attack. Crunch is Tyranitar's secondary STAB to nail Psychic's, Ghost's, and anything Stone Edge doesn't hit harder. Earthquake is paired up with Stone Edge for the great EdgeQuake combination, and Pursuit is in the final slot to be a reliable Pursuit Trapper. It also has unbelievable synergy with Gengar.

Spoooky (Gengar) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast

WAIT! Before you go on raging about "What the hell? Focus Sash Destiny Bond? Who the hell is this guy? Worst Team EVER!" Hear me out. This is the ULTIMATE priority killer. How does it work? Use Focus Sash to take a hit from a powerful priority hit such as Talonflame's Brave Bird, then use Destiny Bond in the same turn. While it's like this, it makes the opponent to switch, or kill the Gengar along with their Pokemon. This has saved my life many times and has proven to be an odd, but successful strategy. EV and Nature are standard, Destiny Bond was explained. Shadow Ball/Sludge Bomb are Gengar's main STAB's and hit many things hard, not much to talk about there, and Focus Blast is coverage. Gengar also has amazing synergy with Tyranitar.

Z0000m (Deoxys-Speed) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 240 Spd / 16 Atk / 252 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Deoxys-Speed serves as my main revenge-killer, and Fighting/Poison type destroyer. It's the standard set, enough speed to outspeed ScarfChomp, rest into special attack. With the EV spread, it can OHKO almost any varient of Mega Venusaur, and switch right out into something else to get rid of the horrible -2 debuff. Psycho Boost is so god damn POWERFUL. I can't even... it just... BOOM dead. Moving along we have Superpower, breaks through Steel types. Ice Beam is just coverage for Dragon/Flying types or anything similar, and HP [Fire] is used to hit Scizor/Ferrothorn much harder than the other moves would have.

Twinkle Star (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast

Clefable makes it in the last slot of my team. It has great typing as a pure fairy - it's weak to only two types that aren't very common! I run Bold Nature and the EV Spread to survive at least one Mega Charizard X's Flare Blitz and slowly try to wear down it's health with Wish. Speaking of Wish, Clefable is my main Wish Passer with Wish/Protect! I use it over every other Wish Passer as it has the ability Unaware. Heal Bell is a super helpful move as this team absolutely HATES status, so Heal Bell is a must and the other Pokemon highly appreciate it. Moonblast is more or less just filler, but it still does decent damage to every other mon.

Threatlist (WIP)
Scizor: I only have Deoxys-S to 2HKO this thing, but if Deoxys is gone I have nothing to hit it. With the right predictions Gengar can also take it down.

Mega Mawile: The SD/Sub varient rips this team into two, Gengar can play around it.. kinda, Mega Heracross can do major damage with Earthquake, but will die in the process. Same with Tyranitar

Any DD Sweeper at +2: At +2 all DD sweepers threaten me to hell, only Gengar at max health can KO. Clefable can't really wall, but can still live at least one hit (Unless you're Gyara) and Wish Pass, or Moon Blast to get damage off.

Mamoswine: This can do major damage to any member, I can take it out easily, but nothing can switch-in.

Import
Code:
Hit It! (Heracross) @ Herocronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Pin Missile
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

Don't Fuckle (Shuckle) @ Mental Herb
Bold Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Infestation

Tyrant (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Spoooky (Gengar) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast

Z0000m (Deoxys-Speed) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 16 Atk / 252 SAtk / 240 Spd
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Twinkle Star (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast
Thank you for reading this RMT! I enjoy, and will take into consideration any feedback I see.

Last edited:
*Will be trying out this team on an alt account because I can't really judge it well from a first glance (looks very solid though). Expect a full rate sometime later today. I applaud you for using an Underused Mega and thinking outside the box!
<- Heracross' sexay luver will be placeholder for now.

*Will be trying out this team on an alt account because I can't really judge it well from a first glance (looks very solid though). Expect a full rate sometime later today. I applaud you for using an Underused Mega and thinking outside the box!
<- Heracross' sexay luver will be placeholder for now.
Just added the import for both PO and PS, because I forgot to add it while I was making it, and thanks!

Hmm, I guess one little nitpick I might have with the team is Sand Stream on Tyranitar. Every other member on your team is weakened by it, and it is especially shitty when you are breaking your 2 Sashes rendering them useless. I may suggest Unnerve over Sand Stream.

Hmm, I guess one little nitpick I might have with the team is Sand Stream on Tyranitar. Every other member on your team is weakened by it, and it is especially shitty when you are breaking your 2 Sashes rendering them useless. I may suggest Unnerve over Sand Stream.
Hmm, I'll think about that, but having that SDef boost is amazing on TTar so I'll have to do some testing, thanks!

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Hey, this is a cool team. By the looks of it, this is an offensive team that aims to use Sticky Web in order to capitalize of MegaCross' insane power. However, there are quite a few things that I would like to point out such as Sand Stream and Focus Sash don't mix well, your hazard-setter is somewhat unreliable, and I dunno what you want to do with your Tyranitar really. I have a few suggestions and hopefully they help you out in the future.

One of the things that easily stood out is Smeargle. As a hazard-setter, it is somewhat unreliable as it can't really switch-in once or twice again in order to set Sticky Web; if the Stick Web dissapears, M-Heracross is too slow to actually fight back against threats such as Keldeo, Greninja, and stuff. This easily puts you at a distant disadvantage. Against stall, Smeargle is a bit unreliable as well as even a Skarmory Brave Bird will fold it. You need the hazards; you can't lay 'em all that consistently. Thus, I recommend you use Shuckle over Smeargle. It does the same job as Smeargle albeit more reliably. The lack of needing to use Focus Sash is also pretty nice since it has Sturdy, which lets it use something cool like Mental Herb for Taunts or Lefties if you want. The bigger draw is that you can actually use him quite decently for setting rocks against stall as it can actually take a hit or five even. So yeah, you can actually keep resetting it.

Another thing I noticed is Tyranitar; what does it really do to the team other than check Talonflame, Pinsir, and Lati@s? Not much, and Clefable does the checking of Lati@s quite fine too. My suggestion for this is to use Defiant Thundurus over Tyranitar. This lets you capitalize on the usage of Defog and just rekk stuff. Physical Thundurus just threatens a lot since it has fantastic coverage. Thundurus also checks Talonflame, Pinsir, Latias, <Psychic-type here>, things M-Cross hates.

The last few things I would suggest concerns your Gengar. That thing's weird as hell. DBond is unreliable, and revenge-killing with it isn't really needed because you have a freaking Deo-S. Yeah, I might have to suggest the Utility Attacker (that is from the Gengar analysis) set to you as believe that thing lets you stop hazards from happening (Taunt), and at the same time manages to kill stuff. Also kinda run's through most walls such as Hippo since it can't be touched because lol Taunt. This is particularly important as most of your attackers are Physical and as such the ability to force these walls is good. Also, this Gengar has Will-o-wisp so most of the things in your threatlist gets handled.

Some smaller changes that I might include is changing is Heracross' spread to 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe. This allows you to outspeed Adamant Bisharp while at the same time allows you to outspeed Terrakion with webs. That speed tier is the highest you could go for anyways and you don't really outspeed anything much with Jolly so the extra power is more preferable. Another is trying to fit Close Combat into MegaCross' movepool by changing it to either all-out attacker or CC > EQ. I'd recommend the former actually as to still hit Aegislash. You still literally obliterate everything anyways so eh why not.

Well, yeah cool team imo. Hope I helped in letting MegaCross rekk c:

Gengar @ Black Sludge
EVs: 28 HP / 148 SAtk / 80 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute

Thundurus (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

HP Ice hits Gliscor, Lando(-T), and Garchomp

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Bold Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Infestation

Encore dissuades set-ups, while Infestation is for the passive damage. Toxic is good to but doesn't work against Steels.

P.S.: If you don't think you need Unaware anymore, Sylveon can pretty much run the same set.

Thanks, Memoric!

I really like the Tyranitar suggestion, as well as the Shuckle suggestion! I'll definitely add Shuckle, and do some testing with Thundurus.

About Gengar, I'm keeping it as I swear the thing is helpful as hell lol (Stops Priority, DD Sweepers, and lots more). I'll try to get some replays, anyways, thanks again fren :D

Edit: Decided to keep Tyranitar, Thundurus just isn't doing it for me :l

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Wait I meant Adamant on MegaCross with the spread, fuq. I'm sorry I forgot to mention. As a testament of its power, it has a very high chance of 2HKOing Skarmory w/o SR meaning even Physical walls aren't safe :]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)