Daylight rampage (RMT Sun Team)

Hello again, Smogon. This is my actual sun team and I'd appreciate some advice to improve it ! I'm love conceptual stuff, so as monotypes, weathers, etc.
(I also made a thread about a sand team, please RMT too! http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sand-in-your-eyes-2-0-rmt-new-sand-team.3504733/#post-5402781)
Let's go:

Ninetails / Mega Charizard Y (The basic core for the sun team, sun inducers)

Ninetails / Mega Charizard Y / Sawsbuck / Espeon (MChari is very weak to SR and Sawsbuck was a nice Chlorophyll sweeper)

Ninetails / Mega Charizard Y / Victrebel / Espeon / Dugtrio (Victrebel proved himself better than sawsbuck, being a mixed sweeper and able to put things to sleep. Dugtrio trap and kill problematic pokes)

Ninetails / Mega Charizard Y / Venusaur / Espeon / Dugtrio / Trevenant (Venusaur is by far stronger, faster and bulkier than the other options. Trevenant is AWESOME and I wanted something from 6gen)

Ninetails / Mega Charizard Y / Venusaur /Trevenant (Dugtrio wasn't able to kill my main nemesis, Talonflame. Espeon was kind of a waste of slot, since she needed to much prediction and was useless against team without hazards. I can't say I don't miss the walls tho.)

Ninetails / Mega Charizard Y / Venusaur /Trevenant / Garchomp / Starmie (Current Team. Rough Skin+Rocky Helmet Garchomp laughs at talonflame and can put his own SR. Starmie is a nice spinner and pack the covarage I needed)

Honorable Mentions
Donphan / Excadrill / Jolteon / Vaporeon

upload_2014-4-25_0-49-33.png
upload_2014-4-25_0-49-52.png
upload_2014-4-25_0-50-11.png
upload_2014-4-25_0-50-44.png

Ninetails (F) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
Calm Nature
252 HP/252 SDef/4 Spd
-Overheat
-Sunny Day
-Solarbeam
-Will-o-Wisp/Toxic

The lead, role sometimes shared with Garchomp, for the rocks.
"Why sunny day on a drought pokemon?" Win. Weather. Wars. Sunny day gives me momentum when I now the enemy will switch in a politoad or a Ttar and it can prolongue the sun without switching. This Ninetails build is so bulky, he tanks hydro pumps under the sun for like 25% of his HP. This deceives a lot of water pokes that attack expecting a 0HKO and in return die to a solarbeam. Overheat is a very strong STAB move that makes me lose SAtk, but since Ninetails keeps on the switch, this won't affect him much. Currently for the last slot, i'm using Toxic, but overall, will-o-wisp is a better choice, to cripple physical sweepers that my team can't handle. (If he can WoW someone before an earthquake, he can even survive to it)

upload_2014-4-25_0-49-33.png

Venusaur (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
28 HP / 252 SAtk / 228 Spd
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Sleep Powder
-Growth

The frog-dino-whatever is a MONSTER under the sun, in my opinion: the best sun abuser. He outspeeds big part of the unchoiced pokes almost every time. For a sweeper, he is pretty bulky too. Life Orb does no damage at all with the help of STAB Giga Drain, which hurts a lot and heals a lot. Sludge Bomb kills everything that don't resist to poison (plus 30% poisoning chance is great). Sleep Powder gives me time to Growth and become even stronger. With some Growths out, 0HKOs are common to see, even to what resist it.

upload_2014-4-25_0-49-52.png

Charizard (M) @CharizarditeY
Ability: Solar Power>Drought
Timid Nature
252 SAtk/252 Spd/4 HP
-Flamethrower
-Solar Beam
-RoostFocus Blast
-Air Slash

Charizard Y is the second sun inducer and also a secondary sweeper. Solar power on the sun gives a head to head ofensive with the Mega evo, this is useful because the sun time don't overlap. I need the sun to be over to bring it again. With Solar Power, Chari enjoy ninetail's sun and hold his Mega evo for when the sun is needed. Flamethrower over Fire Blast because i'm unlucky as hell with acc. 1 turn solar beam is self-explanatory. Focus Blast for covarage and breaking Chansey/Blissey walls. (I was using roost, but Charizard is 0HKO almost everytime. He hits and runs, and when it he has to die, he dies.) Air Slash is a secondary STAB with 30% change to flinch, which is also great to run.

upload_2014-4-25_0-50-11.png

Garchomp (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
8 HP/148 Atk/100 Def/252 Spd
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Stealth Rock

Garchomp is my answer to my ex-nemesis, talonflame. He can handle all talon's attacks pretty well and kill in response, rock sliding it. It is so funny to see a full life talonflame taking the brave bird's recoil, rough skin and rocky helmet damage. Garchomp takes like 30% and talonflame 50% (after rocks, this means death). Other than being a counter and some kind of offensive physical "wall", Garchomp can Stealth Rock, which is amazing considering the team force a lot of switches and Trevenant can work as a spin blocker. Outrage and earthquake are hard hitting STABs, no big secret.

upload_2014-4-25_0-50-44.png

Trevenant (M) @Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
Careful Nature
252 HP/80 SDef/176 Spd (tho this EVs can be wrong, need help at this)
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Curse
-Shadow Claw/Phantom Force

Trevenant is an awesome harvest-on-sun abuser, a rapid spinner blocker and kind of special bulky wall. He can switch in weak water stuff or setting up sweepers and subseed em. Curse is so overpower with sitrus, letting him curse and keeps 80% + HP, with leech seed on. Shadow Claw and Phantom Force are there so he won't turn into a taunt bait (I miss Will-O-Wisp/Confuse ray on him) I'm actually using Shadow Claw, but Phantom Force passes subs and can give an extra turn to harvest a sitrus berry. He can also suicide-curse against strong sweepers to force them out and giving me time to a safe switch in.

Starmie (F) @ Leftovers (this can change, i'm not sure of it)
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
252 SATK/252 Spd/4 HP
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Psyshock
-Rapid Spin

My team switches a lot in order to keep the sun up, and hazards counters me so hard. Starmie is the best rapid spinner I could think on. I already tried donphan and excadrill, but the BoltBeam covarage is too much for my team to give up. Starmie also works as my status absorver, with natural cure, she likes going in WoWs or paralizes and switching back to heal. All in all, it can still function as a mini special sweeper, hitting hard even special walls with psyshock.

I'm open to changes and advices, feel free to post your opinion !

Ninetales @ Heat Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature
- Sunny Day
- Solarbeam
- Overheat
- Toxic

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 80 SDef / 252 HP / 176 Spd
Careful Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Curse
- Shadow Claw

hue (Venusaur) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SDef / 30 Spd
- Giga Drain
- Growth
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb

Charizard (Charizard-Mega-Y) @ Charizardite Y
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Solar Beam
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Air Slash

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 8 HP / 148 Atk / 100 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage

Starmie @ Focus Sash
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Psyshock

Last edited:
Woah there. Trying out all types of weather are we? Anyway, thought I'd drop a few comments. Sun is sort of the frailest out of the three common weathers (lol what hail) given that pokes with Drought are weak, type-wise to those who have Sand Stream / Drizzle.
  • Make sure you have an odd number in HP to minimize SR damage especially if a poke is weak to SR. That being said, move YZard's 4 HP EVs somewhere else.
  • Not really sure about running Sunny Day on Ninetails. You may win weather wars, but then you risk staying in on Tyranitars and Politoeds (the latter is quite uncommon) who can deal a lot of damage or status you in Politoed's case. I'd probably drop that and go for Roar > Sunny Day. I'd also bring up that Mega Tyranitar (you should know what it does) could setup on Ninetails so I suggest running Will-o-wisp on the last slot as an added countermeasure
  • A Venusaur under the Sun doesn't need max Speed. A spread of 28 HP / 252 SAtk / 228 Spd puts you ahead of Deoxys-Speed which is a pretty amazing achievement considering that this is a Modest Venusaur. However, I'd suggest you replace Sleep Powder / Growth > Weather Ball / Earthquake. Your current set is walled by Scizor, Ferrothorn and Heatran. I would recommend Earthquake as Ferrothorn and Scizor are dealt with by Ninetails and YZard while you only have Garchomp to deal with Heatran given that your Starmie doesn't carry a Water move. Should you elect to run EQ, I suggest running a Rash Nature instead of Modest.
  • Small change/s is/are: Life Orb > Leftovers on Starmie (might as well run a bulky set if you run Leftovers)
    [/hide]
    Hope I helped and good luck with your team!

NotBruceWayne Next team will be a rain one, and hail after that (omg what i'm doing with my life).

I'll change the HP EVs for the SR damage. Will-o-wisp is the better choice after all, I was running toxic because of problems with walls. The venusaur EVs will also be modified. I think weather ball is illegal or something (maybe he doesn't get it), because I often see HP Fire instead of it. Venusaur's earthquake probably can 2HKO things, since he have an "okay" attack stat. Should some EVs go to Atk instead of those 28 HP? Sleep powder has its uses, being a fast shutdown of one poke, letting me switch to an appropriate counter without taking hits. I'll test all options. (I already tested HP Fire and works fine, 0HK0 scizors that try to wall him all the time, plus the surprise effect)

Starmie isn't doing much being frail like this, do you got one Nature/EVs so it can become a bulky spinner? The move Recovery would be great, but the ice beam, thunderbolt and psyshock are the only attack from those types (ice,elec and psy) in my team. Lacking one of them can affect me.

Good tips, like always. Thanks !

I don't really have a good bulky Starmie spread, but I suggest taking a look at the Gen 5 analysis for reference. It's right here. Those 224 Spd EVs with Timid also put you ahead of Thundy which is probably the most important thing you need to outspeed.

Glad to help! Good luck with this team and the Rain / Hail teams to come lol

Bumping before I start to breed most of them (I already got some kalos born of those). RMT so I can finish it please !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)