Pure XY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Approved by DTC

In this metagame, you're only allowed to use Pokemon available before Pokebank came out. This means no Latios, no Deoxys-S, no Endeavor Mamoswine, and so forth. There wasn't enough time for the community to be interested in tiering a Pre-Pokebank metagame, so a whole metagame dedicated to Pre-Pokebank should be different, yet interesting.

If Pokebank is required for an Egg/Tutor Move or Ability, then it is inaccessible to the Pokemon.

Last edited:
There's still Mandibuzz, who's honestly the best dedicated user of the move in normal OU.

You're probably right here. However, the most powerful Knock Off, Crawdaunt's, will still exist.
The thing is we just neutered all this knockoff spam. Don't forget that one of the most used knock offs is no longer available: Bisharp.

Chansey will definitely see more use than Blissey in this meta see it fears less from random knock-offs...but it will miss being able to Wish Pass. Alomomola is the next best Wish Passer. Maybe Vaporeon also... At least Vaporeon has offensive presence.

Also, we'll be seeing a lot more Cute Charm Sylveons. Sylveon's best STAB attack, Pixilate Hyper Voice, is unavailable in this Metagame. Sylveon's next best STAB is Moonblast. Might as well use a situational ability than a completely worthless one.

Those are some of my thoughts on it...

yolo florges

HEIL FLORGES

Ok yeah seriously speaking Florges is probably one of the best Wishpassers, due to the fact that most of its competition got massive nerfs (Chansey and Sylveon). It's one of 3 pokemon iinw that has access to Wish + Heal Bell/Aromatherapy (the other two are Slurpuff and Aromatisse, the latter is fine but the former isn't that hot defensively). Florges was actually pretty good pre-bank, and only dropped post-bank due to Sylveon outclassing it in every way.

Also are Pokemon with EMs that require Pokebank allowed (i.e. destiny bond aegislash)?

Valmanway

yolo florges

HEIL FLORGES

Ok yeah seriously speaking Florges is probably one of the best Wishpassers, due to the fact that most of its competition got massive nerfs (Chansey and Sylveon). It's one of 3 pokemon iinw that has access to Wish + Heal Bell/Aromatherapy (the other two are Slurpuff and Aromatisse, the latter is fine but the former isn't that hot defensively). Florges was actually pretty good pre-bank, and only dropped post-bank due to Sylveon outclassing it in every way.

Also are Pokemon with EMs that require Pokebank allowed (i.e. destiny bond aegislash)?
If you need Pokebank in any way, shape, or form, then you can't use it, and that includes egg moves. I unfortunately can't make any exceptions here.

Valmanway

Notable Pokemon that are removed include but are not limited to: Deoxys-D, Deoxys-S, Landorus, Thundurus, Keldeo, Heatran, Kyurem-B, Latios, Terrakion, Latias, and Manaphy. Notable moves that can't be used by certain Pokemon are Defog, Stealth Rock, Bug Bite, Iron Head, Thunder Punch, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Magic Coat, Earth Power, Superpower, Heal Bell, Knock Off, Heat Wave, Hyper Voice, and Tailwind. This is a lot to remove, and Pokemon such as Scizor, Zapdos, and Bisharp find themselves lacking some moves that they love having, and moves such as Knock Off and Defog now have less distribution. So will some of those currently in S and A rank drop in usage, and could any B, C, or even D rank Pokemon have a new niche here? Discuss to your heart's content.

Notable Pokemon that are removed include but are not limited to: Deoxys-D, Deoxys-S, Landorus, Thundurus, Keldeo, Heatran, Kyurem-B, Latios, Terrakion, Latias, and Manaphy. Notable moves that can't be used by certain Pokemon are Defog, Stealth Rock, Bug Bite, Iron Head, Thunder Punch, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Magic Coat, Earth Power, Superpower, Heal Bell, Knock Off, Heat Wave, Hyper Voice, and Tailwind. This is a lot to remove, and Pokemon such as Scizor, Zapdos, and Bisharp find themselves lacking some moves that they love having, and moves such as Knock Off and Defog now have less distribution. So will some of those currently in S and A rank drop in usage, and could any B, C, or even D rank Pokemon have a new niche here? Discuss to your heart's content.
While Knock Off is gone, Bisharp still has Sucker Punch and, while it is weaker, Night Slash. However, with less Defog around, Defiant is not really going to make a big difference in this metagame. But, Mandibuzz still has it and people still use Mandibuzz for Defogging in this Metagame...

I am curious about Crawdaunt's increase in this metagame. Now it won't be overlooked because it does have the best Knock Off in the game. Drapion and Mandibuzz (and Sableye) are the only other Pokemon that receive STAB from it, but Crawdaunt is still the best one. It does have Dragon Dance so that's always good for it.

And, before I go on, speaking of Defog's lessened appearance, Spin Blockers are going to be more common in order to prevent hazards from being removed. Most of the good spinners are still in this metagame so some more Pokemon might be used for Spinblocking. Will Mega Blastoise be more useful for its anti-spin blocking tendencies? Or at least, is it more useful than it was before.

As for Scizor, instead of Bug Bite it has to run X-Scissor, but even though it doesn't have Bug Bite, it rarely doesn't Bullet Punch everything anyways like ever. It misses Defog though for the utility set.

As I mentioned, will we see more Cute Charm Sylveons because Moonblast is its best STAB now? (Unless Echoed Voice Pixilate Sylveon is a new Meta? But then again, you'd need to do three Echoed Voices in a row before you overpower the same number of Moonblasts). Florges will certainly like being a more useful fairy type now...

I feel Zapdos is going down hard (which is bad for me since I love Zapdos). No good support moves. No coverage at all. It's a sad day for Zapdos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)