Memento shenanigans

Hey, so this be the first team I've posted a team on the forums but I'm not exactly new to team-building. After getting wrecked by a team that featured Memento shenanigans I decided I'd give it a go myself and see if it was actually a feasible strategy. Result? Very fun and actually works out quite well for the most part. Physical walls, particularly bulky waters can be pretty troublesome but if they get worn down early-game or take enough damage from rocks I can usually work around them. As you can imagine, this team makes battles very fast-paced so climbing the ladder hasn't been too hard so far.

In-Depth

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spd / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Timid Nature
- Stun Spore/Leech Seed
- Substitute/Leech Seed
- Memento
- Encore/Leech Seed/U-turn/Giga Drain

Whimsicott has proven itself pretty invaluable, and almost no one seems to expect the Memento from it. Generally I have it come in on resisted hits, encore unless I expect a switch-out, sub to scout moves and Memento when it's in on some set-up bait. Paralysis is somewhat useful but rarely any scarfers come in on Whims, so it feels a little redundant. Leech Seed is aright, but this set doesn't really get to stall a whole lot and any other moves do mostly chip damage. I was originally running a Scarf-Switcheroo set but that ended up forcing Whimsicott to Memento not always at favourable times more often than not. Overall though, this Pokemon's proved to be pretty solid and very often paves the way for a sweep.

Cloyster @ White Herb
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Razor Shell
- Rock Blast
- Shell Smash

Come in after a Memento or two mid-late game and sweep. Pretty simple stuff. The difference between Adamant and Jolly is pretty noticeable but it's annoying to have sacked teammates with Memento only to have Cloyster outsped and KO'd after getting in just one KO. I might switch back to Adamant though since some of the physical walls can check this really well. Cloyster is only really stopped by Blastoise/Slowbro/Milotic/Intimidate Scrafty and a few other less-seen threats, so once they're out of the way it's smooth-sailing. Life Orb is tempting, but White Herb ensures quite a surprising bulk after a memento or two.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

My lead and probably the least valuable member of the team. Its main function is to prevent rocks staying on my side of the field through Defog/Roar/Scald pressure, and hopefully get rocks of my own up. Often I find myself just sacking it by spamming Scald to weaken down bulky walls that my team will have trouble with later on, particularly Blastoise. That being said, it's still quite a good Pokemon at luring Choiced Thunderbolts which is exactly what Dugtrio loves.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hone Claws/Stone Edge/Final Gambit
- Memento

Very underrated Pokemon imo. The amount of times I've brought this in on Thunderbolt-locked Nidoking/Porygon-Z/Azelf and got rocks up and revenge killed is pretty amazing. It's also great at coming in on Chandelure/Arcanine/Victini (particularly after V-create) and disposing of them after a Whimsicott Memento. I originally ran Final Gambit in the third slot with max HP over Attack, but it would never quite OHKO anything and Stone Edge was never really doing a whole lot. Occasionally Dugtrio can set-up Hone Claws and go for its own mini-sweep late game before Memento sacrificing after being knocked down to Sash. Even Cloyster becomes very bulky after a double Memento.

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Pretty good late-game cleaner. It can take quite a lot of hits from its typing after a Memento, but usually it only needs to take one to get up a HC and sweep. This is usually more for if Cloyster can't come in on something as it's not as effective at cleaning, but can still do work. Hippowdon and co. give it a good bit of trouble. It has quite a bit of overlap with Honchkrow, but they don't render each other redundant. Aero can take the Electric types that Dugtrio never got quite often, while Honchkrow gets the Grass generally.

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 4 Spd / 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Substitute
- Roost
- Sucker Punch

Come in after a Memento, sub, wreck. Honchkrow does quite a good job after Memento at sweeping when Cloyster can't come in. Things like Tangrowth, Slowbro, Milotic and a few others really can't do anything once Honch subs and it usually means gg if I can predict correctly with when to Sucker Punch/Brave Bird.

Do you realize you have 2 stealth rock setters? I have a few suggestions to clean up a few things...
1. Whimsicott is okay, but i wouldnt slash so many optionz since it cant run every single move. I would say stick to stun spore, memento, encore and giga drain. Stun spore incapaciates fast foes like mega doom aero etc. Memento and encore create opportunities to sweep. Giga drain is for reliable stab. Also, taunt can be slashed over giga drain since whimsi is a suicide poke.

2. Make cloyster mixed with hydro pump over razor zhell to beat mega aggron who laughs uncontrollably at physical cloyster. Dont run white herb. Eithe focus sash or kings rock. Hes made to hit hard and fast not stay and last.
3. I recommend dropping dugtrio altogether. Outside of trapping nidoking, whats his niche? The only other poke be should trap is mega doom who can boost his speed with flame charge and then ko and sweep. I recommend either a spiker for more hazards (chesnaught goes great with sp def empoleon) or a bulky av user like slowbro who immediately threatens most teams due to its bulk.
4. Change empoleon to sp def. Scald patches up the defense while empoleon can tank the special hits with ease.
5. I recommend adamant over jolly on aero, but mega mane is a huge threat to your team so it may be wise to keep jolly in the meantime.

Do you realize you have 2 stealth rock setters? I have a few suggestions to clean up a few things...
1. Whimsicott is okay, but i wouldnt slash so many optionz since it cant run every single move. I would say stick to stun spore, memento, encore and giga drain. Stun spore incapaciates fast foes like mega doom aero etc. Memento and encore create opportunities to sweep. Giga drain is for reliable stab. Also, taunt can be slashed over giga drain since whimsi is a suicide poke.

2. Make cloyster mixed with hydro pump over razor zhell to beat mega aggron who laughs uncontrollably at physical cloyster. Dont run white herb. Eithe focus sash or kings rock. Hes made to hit hard and fast not stay and last.
3. I recommend dropping dugtrio altogether. Outside of trapping nidoking, whats his niche? The only other poke be should trap is mega doom who can boost his speed with flame charge and then ko and sweep. I recommend either a spiker for more hazards (chesnaught goes great with sp def empoleon) or a bulky av user like slowbro who immediately threatens most teams due to its bulk.
4. Change empoleon to sp def. Scald patches up the defense while empoleon can tank the special hits with ease.
5. I recommend adamant over jolly on aero, but mega mane is a huge threat to your team so it may be wise to keep jolly in the meantime.
Yes, I am aware two Pokemon have rocks.

1. I think sub/seed/encore/memento works best tbh
2. That's a pretty good idea. Megaggron wrecks Cloyster if Empoleon didn't take it out earlier.
3. Possibly, but like I said, there's quite a good bit of choiced tbolts flying around. It also outspeeds and OHKOs Raikou, Victini after a V-Create defense drop, Chandelure, some Jolteon and can take the Nidos/non-mega Aggron and Ampharos. I find I use this a lot less lately tbh so I might look into something that can remove pests like Roserade/Shaymin/Mew and bulky waters, but not sure what would fit in best here.
4. I'm trying 252+ Satk the last few battles to nail opposing waters with Grass Knot. It's pretty effective tbh
5. Nah, Adamant just gets outsped by Jolt/Mega-Man otherwise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)