The May Global Link International

Good evening heathens, this thread will be used to discuss the upcoming doubles shenanigans next weekend.

The unorthodox Team Dogfingers coming up:

Sableye aka The Khangeskhan Killer
DEF/HP
Fake Out
Foul Play
Recover
Wiilow Wisp

The killer returns after his outstanding performance in singles, burns anything thats likely to upset me rendering them useless providing it hasn't got a fairy move. Sports a dainty looking rocky helmet for extra 'pain in the arse' value. Replaced Taunt for Fake Out to assist....

Dusknoir -
HP/ATT/DEF/SPdef
Trick Room
Shadow Sneak
TBC
TBC

"Starting with 2 ghosts, that's insane," the crowd gasps. Sableye fakes out while 'Noir does his Trick Room tomfoolery. Invested in defence and Sp def, with max HP and a smidgen of attack, allows him to take 3 brave birds (none choice band) and just survive an unboosted Mega Gengar shadow ball (without life orb). Sporting a lovely tin of leftovers.

Mega Abomasnow - Zieg Hail
ATT/SPAtt
Blizzard
Ice Shard
Wood Hammer
TBC (Grasswhistle or shadow ball most likely)

Shocking Blizzards, invested in attacks as its likely to keel over and die if it gets hit first as its weak to just about everything. Useful for stopping spore and giving the middle finger to Rotom Wash. The main utiliser of the Trick Room.

LickyLicky - Emo-Geddon
HP/ATT - Life Orb
Power Whip
Explosion
Protect
TBC

Largely being used for comedic suicide value. Equipped with a life orb able to blow the Jesus out of Talonflame, Azumarill, Rotoms, and around 95% to Khangeskhan, need to watch for protects and other such nuisances. Utilizes the Trick Room magically.

The other 2 spots are up in the air. In the wings ive got:

Choice Hydregion (goes against the trick room but can get rid of potential nuisances instantly like Gengar, Talonflame, other sableyes, Greninja and Ferrothorn)

Crawdaunt (Knock off one hit KO's rotom, invested in HP so can take a brave bird and a volt switch from a defensive rotom)

Diggersby (the only thing I've got that can ohko MMawile, but in a trickroom will be out-sped by it)

Guts Hairyama - (Awesome damage with Close Combat with Bullet punch to boot and utilizes trick room well, Talonflame fodder though.)

Others include Quagsire, Lanturn, Steelix

Potential problems: Mawile is going to give me headaches, I can see it now, even Hydregions fire blast doesn't OHKO it, Gengar may be a bit of a swine if I don't use Hydregion, as will Greninja. Mega Gardevoir also presents numerous problems If anyone wants to contribute to improving my lads please do. Though I'm planning on using none of the common lot.

Post your teams,get busy.

First time participating a tournament so my team is generic as all hell :P

Day1:
12win
8loss

Day2:
26win
14loss

Day3:
34win
26loss

Conclusion:
Tyranitar did not really fit this comp at all, mostly never used him as Choice Scarf locked him on one attack and none of them felt good enough for locking in.
I feel like Amoonguss needs someone else then Giga Drain, twice I ended up in a 'guss vs 'guss and mine ended up losing. I poison attack would work great against opponent 'guss and fairy types!
Rotom didn't really did as much good with Will-O-Wisp as I hoped, he missed a lot and many many times I just didn't find the skills usefull.
Talonflame didn't really have much use for U-Turn, I rather just use the normal swap then risking him going second and getting killed.
Garchomp I never used Substitute...
Kangaskhan Power-Up Punch didn't pack enough punch for me, I think I rather change it for something harder hitting, build up didn't really work for me.

Over all, I had a really hard time with mass dragon teams and mass fairy teams as I lacked ice and poison. Next tournament I will be more prepared :)

Day 3 is where everything just went to hell. Should have stopped at day 2 :/

Last edited:
My mates using loads of frogs/toads in this and he's doing pretty well. Better than me, I started off 8-1, then I just started fucking losing. Im now 18-19 :(. Gardevoir cuts holes in me, I prepared for all the other usual dickheads and completely forgot about that. Also if you see a team with a lvl 30 Gorgeist its me, forgot to level him up.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Dogfingers, you should probably compress that triple post at the top js.

I'm also using a bog-standard team as I'm only just getting into VGC (yeah, great timing right) and I'm doing okay even though I haven't had much opportunity to actually play. That said, I have a very healthy 13-7 WLR. This is what I'm running:
(note that Spd stands for Speed in the EV spreads - I abbreviate Special Defense to Sp. Def)

Rotom-Heat @ Sitrus Berry
Calm
Levitate
252 HP/252 Sp. Atk/4 Def
-Thunderbolt
-Will-o-Wisp
-Overheat
-Protect

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Modest
Intimidate
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
-Draco Meteor
-Hydro Pump
-Flamethrower
-Dragon Pulse

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Jolly
Scrappy -> Parental Bond
252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
-Power-Up Punch
-Sucker Punch
-Façade
-Fake Out

Aegislash @ Air Balloon
Quiet
Stance Change
252 HP/252 Sp. Atk (idk where the last four went, the defenses are equal)
-King's Shield
-Substitute
-Shadow Ball
-Flash Cannon

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Adamant
Defiant
252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
-Night Slash
-Sucker Punch
-Protect
-Iron Head

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Sassy
Regenerator
252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp. Def
-Spore
-Giga Drain
-Rage Powder
-Protect

As some one who has long been interested in competitive but never really bothered, this is my first proper tournament.
Currently sitting at about 22 wins to 11 losses, though my internet is patchy so at least 4 of those are involuntary disconnects.

As for my team, I tried not to pick the most common mons, so no Garchomp/Kangaskhan/Rotom/Talonflame/Aegislash. It's still a fairly standard team though.

Charizard Y
244 SpA/12 SpD/252 Spe

The team power house and sun bringer. Heat Wave obliterates things even if resisted and Solar Beam deals with Greninja, Rotom W and careless Politoed. Ancient Power is hilarious, murdering fellow Charizard and Talonflame, though I shouldn't rely on it as much for Rotom H. I also need to learn when to Protect and Megaevolve, and when to Protect then Megaevolve.

Venusaur
204 HP/252 SpA/52 Spe

Not as good as I was expecting, so I tend to leave Venusaur behind. It's nice and fast, but all too weak to Talonflame and somewhat useless out of sun.

Mamoswine
196 HP/252 Att/60 Spe

Ice Shard is very useful for 2HKOing Dragons, or picking off weak things. 4/5 team mates can deal with Earthquake, and yet it always ends up out at the same time as Scrafty. I wanted it to have life orb, I didn't realise item clause was in effect until too late. Is miraculously hard to kill, unless fire gets involved.

Gardevoir
140 Def/140 SpA/228 Spe

Panic Button for dragons. Good at killing things weak to either psychic or fairy, but sadly not strong enough or defensive enough to be consistently good. A lack of protect also makes it a sitting duck if something faster rocks up. Apparently my team's most main stream member.

Scrafty
252 HP/244 Arr/12 Def

Support extraordinaire. Switch in to weaken the opponent (Charizard can take a rock slide thanks to this guy), stun their biggest threat while a team mate takes them down, and then either get out of there or tank. Quick Guard is hilarious when it works, but its very weak to enemy fake outs. And Flame Body Talonflame. Not joking.

Trevenant
252 HP/120 Def/132 Spe

Fun, but situational. He's great at stopping physical sweepers, and good at wearing down things, but more often then not he gets nailed with a shadow ball.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
Is there any way to see my rating without having to enter another battle i.e. via the Global Link? Also WPS, how did you get that team layout image? It looks cool and I want one :p

Is there any way to see my rating without having to enter another battle i.e. via the Global Link? Also WPS, how did you get that team layout image? It looks cool and I want one :p
Pokémon global link website - your profile - online competions - competition entry history - battle box, then print screen the little window it brings up.

It also has a field for your ranking, but it looks like it doesn't update until the competition is finished.

Cheers WPS, will steal your internet skills and edit my post with some info about how it all went and what I think about it.

Last edited:
upload_2014-5-18_17-58-52.png

Right I'm done at 50 battles 27-23, it was kinda strange, I had massive winning streaks coupled with awful losing streaks. It's like all the arsey players come on at the same time, anyway this was my final team:

Gorgeist lvl 30!!!! (forgot to level him up)
HP/DEF/SPdef - Frisk
Focus Sash
Trick Room
Shadow Sneak
Willow Wisp

The hallmark of every battle, usually survived the opening turn to hit a Trick Room because of the sash then opened the way for Lickylicky. EV'ed to take a brave bird and a shadow ball from Gengar (If he was level 50 :( ). In retrospect Light Screen would maybe have been better than SS. Frisk is also insanely useful for being able to predict what is going on.

Lickylicky
HP/Att -Cloud Nine
Life Orb
Explosion
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Protect

Explosion most of the time worked like a dream, protects on the first turn, then free to hit one of the power moves, it's surprising how many people fell for the explosion. It worked because I had to be quick to make sure the battle ended before the trick room reversed. Rockslide OHKO's talonflame, charizard. Explosion normally takes Kangeskhan. Earthquake does reasonable damage to Mawile, Tyranitar and Aegislash. Cloud nine was awesome for depowering Mega Char and and Other weather users that weren't me

Megabomasnow
ATT/SPatt
Blizzard
Ice Shard
Woodhammer
EArthquake
The answer to intimidate teams with his disgraceful blizzard, In retrospect would have probably switched Ice Shard for Protect due to fucking Talonflame and Lucarios priority fight and Bullet Punching Scizor.

Hariyama
ATT/HP - Guts
Toxic Orb
CLose Combat
Heavy Slam
Bullet Punch
Fake-out
Bullet Punch should have been replaced for something else as it was useless, Heavy Slam OHKO's Gengar and deals with any light fairies. Needed protect desperately in order to mess with gardevoir and other fairies, moonblast and dazzling gleam were the bane of my team.

Crawdaunt
ATT/HP - Adaptability
Choice Band
Aqua Jet
Crabhammer
Knock off
X-Scissor
This thing is Godly in a trickroom. Knock off does unbelievable damage, dealing with Aegislash easily and killing an uninvested Rotom. Crabhammers the bread and butter with aqua jet incase the trickroom doesn't work. X-Scissor was never used once. EV's were done to take a brave bird and take a volt switch from an uninvested Rotom. Late game sweeper was Jesus like.

Sableye
DEF/HP/SPdef - Prankester
Rocky Helmet
Willow Wisp
Foul Play
Fake out
Recover

Didn't use much really, tremendous in the singles tourney but didn't really have scope to get in. Although Foul Played Kangeskhan and Aegislash to death a couple of times, would swap him for something else in retrospect.

Had a good amount of success with early game shenanigans. TrickRoom/Protect/Explosion bluffs worked well. Is strange because the teams that easily gave me the most grief were the more unorthodox ones. Against the tedious power 6 (Kangerotomtalonchompninjaslash) I didn't experience many issues. The tricky buggers were the taunters, anything with strong fairy moves and the intimidate crew.

Problems:
* Gardevoir - taunting and Moonblasting
* Meowstick - Fast fakeout, charm, taunt, really screwed me a few times
* Mega Charizard Y - Heatwave hurt bad, often spoiling my trick room
* Noivern - Frisking Gorgeist and realising it was up to no good, cue 2 hits from both pokemon on him.
* Salamence/Mega Manectric - Intimidate ruined me several times, completely ruining explosion.

Highlight of the tourney was fighting another trick room team, needless to say, the dimensions continually got returned to normal.

Attachments

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
Right, I'm all done at 42 matches. Came really close to cracking 1600 at one point, but a guy disconnected on me after I beat him and I just couldn't stop losing after that... I think I finished at around 1540-ish. It really sucks that you have to enter a match and therefore gamble your rating just to see what it even is. Anyway, not playing anymore, I need to sleep and I'd like to quit while I'm ahead >_>

2014 International Challenge May.PNG

I can play a lot more matches, but I just kinda gave up after getting tired of my connection being meddlesome and dropping four of my matches. Hope everyone did well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)