Megas For All (Read the whole 1st post and check current slate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aww, didn't have time to make more than one submission this round. Oh well, onto the next round!

I'm thinking I'll try something a little different this time. I'll try my hand at an offensive set, rather than my usual quirky defence.
A water/ghost type Cloyster strikes my fancy; switching up its favoured Skill Link set for a priority set. Marowak shall be interesting. I have an idea, but the stat distribution will be tough.

Anywho, time to vote for clapyourhands' everyone's fantastic entries.

Last edited:

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Cloyster should, I think, keep Skill Link. It's too defining of a characteristic to change IMO, his movepool is perfect for it already. But change the fucking ice-type. Steel is cool, but Rock might fit well too, possibly even BETTER for STAB Rock Blast
I'm torn on Skill Link for Cloyster. On one hand, it has a good movepool for it, on the other hand, if we decide to add a Steel type, then it may be interesting to explore its defensive capabilities, as Water/Steel is far superior to Water/Ice (plus Spikes/T-Spikes/Rapid Spin, and resists SR/immune to T-Spikes!)

I like how just because something has an item that doubles it's attack, it HAS to have huge power. It can forgo it if you go about it correctly:
It doesn't have to, but honestly, I'd rather use regular Marowak over Mega if it doesn't have an ability boosting its Atk.

Edit: For an offensive role, anyway.

Cloyster - how about we focus on making it a better Rapid Spinner? I dunno if losing the Ice-type would still be of any benefit, since it would still lose 25% the first time it switches in to Rocks unevolved, but who knows.
Electrode - Yikes. A really tough one. Making it Electric/Steel would put it dangerously close to Magnezone's niche. It's like a floating pokeball, right? Why not give it Levitate?
Marowak - I like the suggestion of making it Ground/Ghost - I feel we can give it a niche different from Golurk. I want to know if there's an ability aside from Huge/Pure Power that's a match for it though. (Also Dead Parents kinda sounds like Batman's ability. :P)
Hitmonlee - The trick would be distinguishing it from the other Hitmons (and the 1000 Fighting types in pokemon) without giving it a new type or giving it a new ability. Is there a Kick equivalent of Iron Fist?

I don't like people calling for Cloyster to lose it's Ice typing. I will be submitting it as Water/Ice. Cloyster is known for two things. The first is Shell Smash. The second is Skill Link Icicle Spears. Ice isn't there for defense, it's there for offense.

Also, I'm not too worried about raising Cloyster's Shell Smash potential, because it loses the ability to run White Herb, meaning it has to take the defense drop.

Electrode: This one is legitimately tough, although I know what the design has to be: A Master Ball recolor.

Marowak: I don't like the Huge/Pure Power suggestions. Surely we can do better than that? And a +100 BST boost with Huge Power, Swords Dance and STAB EQ is asking for trouble. Mega Mawile is strong with awful physical STAB's, and Mega Medicham lacks a great secondary STAB [Physical Psychic? Yaaaay?] Marowak has STAB EQ and can back that up with Stone Edge or Rock Slide.

And Ground/Ghost is asking for STAB Shadow Claw with Huge Power. Ground/Ghost is almost perfect coverage. [You don't hit Flying/Levitating Steels like Skarmory, but Marowak gets Fire Punch anyway.]

That said, I'm not sure *what* to do with it yet. Technician is tempting, due to that buffing up Bonemerang, Marowak's signature move

Hitmonlee: As the Hitmon developed from High Attack Tyrouge, offense is the priority here. I'll probobly do some re-jigging of the base stats, and really exaggerate the attack stat on this thing to reflect that. [I'll probobly make Mega Hitmonchan bulky and Hitmontop has to have equal attack/defense stats]

canno

formerly The Reptile
Wait, why are we freaking out about giving this thing Parential Bond when Huge Power is considered the obvious? It would obviously need to be made with a lot of care and attention (for example, 130 (which is +50 to its Atk) makes it stronger than Bone Club Marowak (568 vs 591), assuming both are Adamant, while 125 reaches similar powers (although still outpowering) and 120 reaches similar power too, although it under powers it.), and I can see why people don't want it, but I don't understand the instant negative reaction it's getting. Sure, PuP is scary (which is why I'd probably give PB Maro like 100 base or something), but it doesn't have Sucker Punch, or any priority, like Kanga did.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I think I'll be submitting a Water/Steel Cloyster. It has a tough shell and stuff, you know.

Skill Link fits it well enough. Shame Spike Cannon isn't a Steel move, though...

Ok now it's my submission!

It's Skull turns into solid steel with spikes, along with its bone club

Ground ~> Ground / Steel
Ability: Rock Head / Lightningrod / Battle Armor ~> Solid Metal*
Stats: 60 / 80 / 110 / 50 / 80 / 45 ~> 60 / 150 / 140 / 50 / 100 / 25
New Moves: Iron Head, Spiky Shield, Ice Punch

*Its Iron Helment gives it an immunity to flying type attacks

This is meant to take Marowak on a more bulky perspective, making it the ultimate defog blocker. [will edit more soon]

Last edited:
1. Cloyster is the best user of the incredibly strong set-up move: Shell Smash how can a person create a Cloyster Mega without making Shell Smash too strong for the metagame?
2. How do we distinguish Electrode from every other fast special attacking electric type?
3. Marowak's is outclassed defensively by Hippowdon while offensively Bone Club is more powerful than any buff its mega is going to get so how can we give Mega Marowak an interesting niche in the metagame?
4. How can we make a Mega Hitmonlee viable in the OU metagame with it still not outclassing any of the other Mega Hitmon's in any of its roles?
Cloyster
  • Water/Steel type with a Defensive ability
  • A new move akin to King's Shield (Maybe Spiky Shield + Defense raise)
Electrode
  • Electric/Steel typing (Because it has a shitty movepool and needs another STAB)
  • I usually hate -ate Abilities, but an Electric-type variant would fit Electrode very well
Marowak
  • X and Y variants with Fighting and Ghost sub-typing
  • Shadow Sneak and Mach Punch priorities
  • Huge Power and Pure Power because of loss of Thick Club
Hitmonlee
  • I made a Hitmonlee submission before and gave it a kicking-related ability
  • Boosts to Attack and Speed because it evolves from Tyrogue when Attack is higher
  • Freeze Kick and Volt Kick to compliment Blaze Kick and also because synonymity with Ability

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Wumbtrode
Electric -> Electric
Abilities: Soundproof / Static / Aftermath -> Unstable (all physical moves deal damage using the user's Special Attack stat)
60 HP / 50 Atk / 70 Def / 80 SpA / 80 SpD / 140 Spe | 480 BST ->
60 HP / 40 Atk / 85 Def / 130 SpA / 95 SpD / 170 Spe | 580 BST
New moves: Double-Edge, Ice Ball

I wanted to do something with Mega Electrode that allowed it to utilize Explosion more viably. The first thing you consider about Electrode flavor-wise is that it likes to explode, but with the nerf to Explosion in BW, it's a bad option for Electrode competitively. I considered some kind of ability that allowed it to survive with 1 HP when it used an exploding move with >1 HP left, but competitively, that's not very good, and it seems overly complicated, especially for a game such as Pokemon. Instead, I decided to roll with the Psyshock/Secret Sword idea, but in reverse, where physical moves use the attacker's Special Attack stat. This lets Electrode utilize Explosion once again. It also gives it a priority move in Sucker Punch, which, though seemingly unnecessary, could actually be really good for it. With it, you can pick off other priority users that might try to finish you off before you can use Explosion, and Electrode's movepool is generally bad enough that you can afford to run it despite its enormous Speed stat.

I decided to keep the typing the same because there is no other type that really fits it flavor-wise without changing it drastically. Giving it Normal typing would be cool for STAB Explosion, but it didn't really make much sense to me outside of its competitive use.

Stats are pretty simple. I cut 10 from Electrode's base Attack because it can't use that stat with this ability anyways. I gave it 30 additional Speed despite it being wholly unnecessary because Speed is the second thing you think of when you think about Electrode. It really needed a massive buff to Special Attack if we ever want it to see the light of day competitively, which is where the additional 50 Special Attack came from. From there, I just split the additional 30 in its defenses.

Finally, I gave Electrode Double-Edge for both flavor and competitive reasons. It's kind of like an inferior Boomburst on Electrode, and considering its already mediocre coverage, the move would probably be a viable option for it competitively. Double-Edge also fits Electrode perfectly flavor-wise. The Japanese name for the move is literally "Life-Risking Tackle," and it fits well with the self-destructive nature of Electrode. Ice Ball was given to Electrode because it makes sense flavor-wise and no other reason.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
Cloyster's ice typing has never been its main issue: it's the abysmally low special defense and issues against opposing water types, so a mega evolution should aim to fix these.
The ice typing is what makes it able to stand against Ferrothorn rather than being just another run-of-the-mill water type that gets walled to hell and back by that thing. It absolutely needs to keep it. STAB Skill Link Icicle Spear is just too good to give up.

Been said that, here's my submission:

Mega Cloyster (Cloysterite)
Water/Ice --- > Water/Ice
Abilities: Shell Armor/Skill Link/Overcoat -> Skill Link
BST: 50/95/180/85/45/70 -> 50/115/190/100/90/80 (+20 Atk, +10 Def,+15 SpA, +45 SpD, +10 Spe)
New moves: Water Shuriken, Freeze Dry, Drill Run

This mega evolution effectively fixes all of Cloyster's problems. Improved special bulk, an extra bit of speed that lets it outspeed scarfers like Terrakion more easily, Freeze Dry to punish bulky water types, a useful water-type priority move to make Talonflame think twice before coming in and a ground-type coverage move to deal with random steel types such as Aegislash.
At first glance not being able to hold items makes it harder to set-up, but keep in mind that it can easily switch into Knock Off abusers such as Landorus-T and Bisharp and use them as set-up bait thanks to its colossal physical bulk.

Sorry missed the last round because I had no original ideas for those Pokemon:

Mega Marowak
Type: Ground --> Ground / Fighting
Ability: Lightningrod / Rock Head / Battle Armor --> Mold Breaker
Stats:
Hp: 60 ( +0 )
Attack: 80 --> 125 ( +45 )
Defense: 110 --> 120 ( +10 )
Sp. Atk: 50 --> 50 ( +0 )
Sp. Def: 80 --> 105 ( +25 )
Speed: 45 --> 65 ( +20 )
Moves: Close Combat, Drain Punch, Ice Punch

Marowak has always been a Pokemon I liked so let's make a mega evolution for him first. With the Marowakite Marowak will be able to mega evolve into Mega Marowak who turns into a Ground Fighting type. I gave Mega Marowak the Ground Fighting type because it fights for it's newborn child to defend it. Marowak is also one of the few Pokemon with a sort of weapon in his hand which makes the Ground Fighting type all the more believable.

The ability changes to Mold Breaker when mega evolving to Mega Marowak. The main reason I chose Mold Breaker is because of Rampardos. Both have a big skull to crush things with and since I always thought they looked similar I gave Mega Marowak Mold Breaker. Mega Marowak would also look cool and cool Pokemon have Mold Breaker, 8 year old logic for the win! I wanted to do Parental Bond with the whole defending the baby as a mother thing but the baby seems too young to fight in battle. And before you mention mega Kangaskhan keep in mind that the baby is eighteen years old now and more ready to fight while Mega Marowak will be from 2014 so the baby won't even be one year old.

The new stats Mega Marowak gets are mainly to make up for the loss of Thick Club, hence why I gave it the biggest boost in it's attack stat. Since Fighting and Ground type are also two types that mainly use their attack stat it makes sense that Mega Marowak would see a big boost in it's attack. The other main boosts are to both it's defense and special defense to make it fill more some sort of bulky attacker role. The defense boosts are also a bit because of the Mega Marowak defending her baby thing. Finally I gave it a bit of a speed boost to make it a bit faster and to outspeed walls like Chansey and Hippowdon in competetive play.

The new moves it gets are mainly to showcase it's added Fighting type upon mega evolution. Close Combat is the main move here as it will be it's main STAB attack in competitive play and it is Mega Marowak's strongest Fighting type attack not named Focus Punch. It also makes sense as Marowak would look like he could go into a close battle with his foes. Drain Punch is more there to give it another punching move and since Marowak is no stranger to getting punching moves it seemed fitting. Ice Punch is the last move it gets just for the fact that it gets Thunder Punch and Fire Punch but not Ice Punch. Mega Marowak would probably look like a normal Marowak but with more added bone like features. It's bone it uses to fight would also be bigger and stronger. Lastly some Fighting type features would also be added to Mega Marowak. In competitive play Mega Marowak wouldn't be great but it could see use as a wall breaker with Swords Dance to do some damage to the opponent.

Do not have ideas for the other ones yet.

This also marks the beginning of the discussion period for
Cloyster
Electrode
Marowak
Hitmonlee
(Sorry I forgot to cross out Exeggcutor on the list but its already reserved)
Get Discussin' and get Voting

I'm going to try something new and list some discussion points for each mon to y'know stimulate Discussion let me know if you'd like me to do this again.
1. Cloyster is the best user of the incredibly strong set-up move: Shell Smash how can a person create a Cloyster Mega without making Shell Smash too strong for the metagame?
2. How do we distinguish Electrode from every other fast special attacking electric type?
3. Marowak's is outclassed defensively by Hippowdon while offensively Bone Club is more powerful than any buff its mega is going to get so how can we give Mega Marowak an interesting niche in the metagame?
4. How can we make a Mega Hitmonlee viable in the OU metagame with it still not outclassing any of the other Mega Hitmon's in any of its roles?
Cloyster could be Ghost, he looks like Gastly. With +50 SpD he becomes a viable mixed wall. Rapid Spin, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes are all great options that Cloyster never uses, but that will change with its Mega. New Moves could include Shadow Ball so special SS is usable.

Electrode could really use Nasty Plot, with more defenses to make setup possible. I'm thinking around 100 or 110 of each. Electric/Steel is a great defensive type and keeps Electrode as a sort of parallel to Magneton/Magnezone.

Parental Bond Marowak but with a focus on defense. Ability breaks subs, Stealth Rock and Icy Wind are cool support options, Ghost typing makes sense and gives it a valuable combination of resistances and immunities. Maybe give it Spikes too?

Hitmonlee would work well with No Guard. Untimely HJK misses are a thing of the past, Blaze Kick is usable (85 Power is good), Stone Edge becomes the 100/100 Rock move we've always dreamed of, and it gets Zen Headbutt now just because.

Ya know the whole Cubone/Marowak mother thing... sounds like a real... parental bond.
I've made one exactly like this. Ground/Ghost is a pretty unique typing. At the same time, lots of weaknesses and poor HP keep it from being broken.

What if we made Cloyster special? And if we must get rid of ice, then we could go with rock, since we already have an unnecisary amount of steel typs in this meta.
I was actually thinking of Ghost because Cloyster's inner body looks like a Gastly and they're right beside each other in the Dex.

Rock/Water Shell Smash is Omastar's thing, Rapid Spin is Kabutops. But it's not like we can only have one of each, Cloyster can be both.

Last edited:
I will try to do something with Cloyster.

Defensive Cloyster anyone? Its massive defence stat and huge armoured shell suggest to keep it a bulky arse that doesn't die, in a similar vein to Ferrothorn.

Instead of taking obvious Shell Smash + Skill Link routes or making this thing even more Physically defensive than it already is, which would be heading into Aggron territories, I opted to make this a bulky wall that can take on even the most powerful mixed wallbreakers.
I still added a little on physical defence to compensate for the loss of Leftovers on any defensive set.

I am aiming to stop Talonflame and Aegislash, while checking Charizard and friends. It should be capable of eating Flare Blitzes, Brave Birds, Head Smashes and Sacred Swords, while being a Water-type, which puts a large strain on it.

Typing and Ability:
At first, I wanted Filter, but I considered that a little obvious and it would make it outclass Empoleon too.
I also considered Rough Skin.

However, it didn't solve anything. I wanted this thing to counter Talonflame and Scizor as well as to check other Fire-types, and Aegislash to an extent, and for that, punishing U-Turn by making it a resisted move and quad-resisting Bullet Punch would be vital. Forcing it into Superpower would be awesome.

Water/Ghost would render it vulnerable to the Pursuits, as well as Shadow Balls from Aegislash.
While Steels are common in OU, Water/Steel is rare (only Empoleon has it), and it still doesn't really outclass Empoleon because Empoleon has Defog as well as Roar and Stealth Rock while being capable of carrying Leftovers. It also eats your Mega slot which you may or may not want. However, Water/Steel is weak to Sacred Sword, and still neutral to Flare Blitz.

The Steel-typing also reduces the damage it takes from Stealth Rocks, which is invaluable for a defensive Pokémon.
There are other typings, like Water/Rock, but Water/Rocks are plentiful, and I believe more suitable for Smashing as this typing is better offensively than defensively. Superpower and Sacred Sword would remain issues as well, and Iron Head, Head Smash, U-Turn and Bullet Punch would be no longer be resisted, and Solar Beams and Energy Balls from the Fire-types it is supposed to counter would hurt.

Iron Barbs would punish U-Turn and Bullet Punch with this new typing, but it still took too much from Flare Blitz and Fire Blasts to my liking, but combining it with Heatproof should do the trick.
Aegislash can now still 2HKO it after SR + Spikes with Sacred Sword, but Cloyster-Mega is still a counter without the Spikes, as it keeps outspeeding Aegislash quite handily and punish the physical moves with a combination of its ability and Spiky Shield. The special moves from Aegislash are either heavily resisted or hitting neutrally, and Aegislash cannot boost those moves. Furthermore, if Aegislash attempts to set up further or uses King's Shield, it risks eating a Draining Bubble, which will be very annoying for Aegislash to deal with.

Life Orbed Swords Sance boosted Sacred Swords still OHKO, but Aegislash does have to eat a Scald or Hydro Pump prior to that.

There is also the double-MEVO Charizard, and I believe Cloyster should be capable of standing up to both. It however, does not beat them every time, due to Focus Blast and Earthquake, respectively. Focus Blast, however, needs to hit twice in a row, which only has a 49% chance to occur.

Moves: I did not want to give it Recover, but as a defensive Pokémon without leftovers, I believe it needs at least some way to recover health. I also wanted it to force switches to abuse the hazards it sets, in a similar vein to Ferrothorn, so I gave it a Leech Seed clone in order to do so.
However, said Leech Seed clone competes for a moveslot with Freeze Dry.

Stats:
Def and SDef are increased for obvious reasons, SpA a slight bit to 2HKO Aegislash-Blade after Stealth Rock with uninvested Scalds.

The result:

Mega Cloyster (Cloysterite)
Water/Ice --- > Water/Steel
Abilities: Shell Armor/Skill Link/Overcoat -> Heat Armor (Heatproof + Rough Skin combination)
BST: 50/95/180/85/45/70 -> 50/95/195/100/110/75 (0 / 0 / +15 / +15 / +65 / +5)
New moves: Spiky Shield, Freeze Dry, Draining Bubbles (Water-type Leech Seed clone but with a twist; Steel-types are drained for 1/4th of their health every turn instead of 1/8th.
However, all Water- and Grass types are immune to it and heal 25% of their health instead when hit by this move while it has no further effect, even if they have a secondary Steel-typing (like Ferrothorn, Empoleon and fellow Mega-Cloysters))

Optional moveset:

Cloyster @ Cloysterite
Ability: Shell Armor (Heat Armor after mega evolution)
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SDef
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Spiky Shield
- Scald
- Draining Bubbles / Toxic Spikes

A physically defensive spread is also an option. Its base SDef is increased enough to make sure it doesn't die to random special attacks anyway.

This spread, however, ensures Cloyster-Mega can take two Sacred Swords after Stealth Rock from Aegislash, while also avoiding the 2HKO from Shadow Ball on its lower SDef.

Talonflame can't do jack to it, and even if Cloyster has to eat an U-Turn, Talonflame will pay the price in Heat Armor damage, losing 1/8th of its health.
Even Overheat is not a problem with its newly buffed SDef and Heatproof to tag along it.

Scizor's normal moves won't do much to it, and even Superpower only 3HKO's. Add onto that that Cloyster outspeeds, rendering it helpless.

It does not counter or check Rotom-W, but it can stay in on a Volt Switch from the defensive variant, something that would have brought Cloyster down to its Sash without the buffs.

It also counters both formes of Charizard moderately well, resisting the STAB combinations, but it needs to be careful of offensive Dragon Dance sets that carry Earthquake. Bulky Dragon Dance is still countered, more or less.

Calculations said:
252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 24+ Def Cloyster: 120-142 (39.4 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 232 SpD Cloyster: 120-142 (39.4 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
Life Orb sets do 2HKO after Stealth Rock, but Aegislash rarely runs Life Orb as it reduces the effect of its massive bulk. Aegislash can switch into Shield Forme to avoid the 2HKO from Cloyster, but Draining Bubbles followed by a Spiky Shield would throw a wrench in those plans.

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Flare Blitz/Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 24+ Def Heatproof Cloyster: 58-70 (19 - 23%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Scizor Superpower vs. 252 HP / 24+ Def Cloyster: 144-170 (47.3 - 55.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (NOTE: Will fail to actually 2HKO due to the Attack drop from Superpower. It will, however, OHKO with a 70% chance if Cloyster switches in on the Swords Dance. The remaining 30% is the chance that a Scald burn occurs).
+2 252+ Atk Scizor Superpower vs. 252 HP / 24+ Def Cloyster: 286-338 (94 - 111.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

4 SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 232 SpD Cloyster: 120-144 (39.4 - 47.3%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 232 SpD Heatproof Cloyster in Sun: 118-141 (38.8 - 46.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 232 SpD Cloyster: 228-270 (75 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 0 Atk Mega Charizard X Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 24+ Def Cloyster: 136-160 (44.7 - 52.6%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Cloyster Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 99-117 (27.5 - 32.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

However, Mega Cloyster still needs to be extremely wary of powerful Super-effective moves; Conkeldurr, Alakazam and the likes all have ways to 2HKO it with ease.

Also, Cloyster needs to Mega-Evolve first before it is actually capable of countering or even checking these things, which can be a bit of a hassle.

Last, it can also still run a Shell Smash set, but only on the Special side, considering Skill Link is gone. Both its Speed and Special Attack are increased slightly, but... its main selling point, its bulk, is heavily compromised.

Last edited:
I really dislike water/steel. It might be a it better defensively, but it no longer gets STAB on Icicle Spear and still has no STAB in Rock Blast. Cloyster does have a lot of options, so that's prett cool, but for Offensive variants still keeping Skill Link, I vouch for either Water/Ice remaining, Water/Rock, or (for the bold and open-minded) possibly even Ice/Rock for faceshredding STABs out the wazoo.

I know I was the one who dropped cloyster, but I think keeping it at water-ice is the best route (as water-ground is a bit too op). Water shuriken and rapid spin should be the only move it gets, but as for abilities, skill link seems a bit over the top. I think a good special attack buff would be nice, as cloyster is rarely seen special attacking. The idea is that the base form is extremely powerful, but the mega form kills all its checks.

Marowak, maybe give it higher base speed, enough to abuse rock polish. Ground-Ghost is DEFINITELY the ideal typing, what with all its signature moves and the fact that it's dead. Parental Bond makes alot more sense flavourwise than huge power, just give it power-up punch I guess. That's really all you need to give marowak.

Hitmonlee seems like that one pokemon I would give a new ability for. Iron fist, but for feet. Other than that, the mega won't be too hard to do.

Electric-Steel Electrode is a really good idea, although I would personally vouch for levitate (giving it a niche over megaman and raikou) instead. Slap on some steel STAB, and we're really done.

Mega Cloyster
Type: Water / Ice --> Water / Poison
Ability: Shell Armor / Skill Link / Overcoat --> Bulletproof
Stats:
Hp: 50 --> 50 ( +0 )
Attack: 95 --> 95 ( +0 )
Defense: 180 --> 200 ( +20 )
Sp. Atk: 85 --> 105 ( +20 )
Sp. Def: 45 --> 90 ( +45 )
Speed: 70 --> 85 ( +15 )
New moves: Sludge Bomb, Scald, Clear Smog

While making a mega evolution for Cloyster is tough because he is already pretty decent I made one that is pretty original anyway. When mega evolving Cloyster's type changes from Water Ice to Water Poison. You may ask how the fuck does that make sense but hear me out on this one. So you probably know Slowbro evolves when a Shellder bites in it's tail. Shellder does this by poisoning the Slowpoke and seeing as how Shellder evolves into Cloyster it all makes sense.

Mega Cloyster's ability will change to Bulletproof upon mega evolution. While Bulletproof doesn't exactly help it in competitive play because it already resists most common moves affected by Bulletproof anyway there is another reason I chose it. It's Pokedex entry states that it can withstand bomb blasts and guess what ability is made for withstanding bomb blasts. This mega evolution is mostly based around the Pokedex by the way.

Mega Cloyster's stats make it more of a wall upon mega evolving. Seeing as how Water Poison is actually not that bad of a defensive type the main boosts are given to it's defensive stats. It's defense only gets a smaller boost however as base 180 defense is already ridiculously high. It's special attack and speed also get a small boost just so not everything goes into it's defenses. Note that Mega Cloyster is more of a special attacker rather then a physical one and his new moves also give him some better special coverage. Speaking about new moves...

Mega Cloyster's new moves include Sludge Bomb, Scald and Clear Smog. Sludge Bomb will be Mega Cloyster's main STAB of choice if it will decide to run Poison type STAB. It also provides good power and the 30% chance to Poison is nice. Before Cloyster didn't learn Scald because of it's secondary Ice typing. However he loses his Ice typing once Cloyster mega evolves so there is no reason for him to not learn Scald anymore. Clear Smog is mainly used to prevent sweeps from opposing Pokemon and makes sense with Cloyster's added Poison. Mega Cloyster's design would probably look like the ball in the shell got poisoned and now it looks just more poisonous in general.

Mega Cloyster
Type: Water / Ice --> Water / Poison
Ability: Shell Armor / Skill Link / Overcoat --> Bulletproof
Stats:
Hp: 50 --> 50 ( +0 )
Attack: 95 --> 95 ( +0 )
Defense: 180 --> 200 ( +20 )
Sp. Atk: 85 --> 105 ( +20 )
Sp. Def: 45 --> 90 ( +45 )
Speed: 70 --> 85 ( +15 )
New moves: Sludge Bomb, Scald, Clear Smog

While making a mega evolution for Cloyster is tough because he is already pretty decent I made one that is pretty original anyway. When mega evolving Cloyster's type changes from Water Ice to Water Poison. You may ask how the fuck does that make sense but hear me out on this one. So you probably know Slowbro evolves when a Shellder bites in it's tail. Shellder does this by poisoning the Slowpoke and seeing as how Shellder evolves into Cloyster it all makes sense.

Mega Cloyster's ability will change to Bulletproof upon mega evolution. While Bulletproof doesn't exactly help it in competitive play because it already resists most common moves affected by Bulletproof anyway there is another reason I chose it. It's Pokedex entry states that it can withstand bomb blasts and guess what ability is made for withstanding bomb blasts. This mega evolution is mostly based around the Pokedex by the way.

Mega Cloyster's stats make it more of a wall upon mega evolving. Seeing as how Water Poison is actually not that bad of a defensive type the main boosts are given to it's defensive stats. It's defense only gets a smaller boost however as base 180 defense is already ridiculously high. It's special attack and speed also get a small boost just so not everything goes into it's defenses. Note that Mega Cloyster is more of a special attacker rather then a physical one and his new moves also give him some better special coverage. Speaking about new moves...

Mega Cloyster's new moves include Sludge Bomb, Scald and Clear Smog. Sludge Bomb will be Mega Cloyster's main STAB of choice if it will decide to run Poison type STAB. It also provides good power and the 30% chance to Poison is nice. Before Cloyster didn't learn Scald because of it's secondary Ice typing. However he loses his Ice typing once Cloyster mega evolves so there is no reason for him to not learn Scald anymore. Clear Smog is mainly used to prevent sweeps from opposing Pokemon and makes sense with Cloyster's added Poison. Mega Cloyster's design would probably look like the ball in the shell got poisoned and now it looks just more poisonous in general.
Bulletproof also makes it a perfect counter to Gengar, seeing as it is granted an immunity to Shadow Ball and Focus Blast (as well as Aura Sphere, Seed Bomb and Energy Ball fo rother stuff)

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
I have to disagree with M-Marowak's ghost retyping making sense.
How does it make it sense? Because it wears and uses bones? So does Mandibuzz. Because of that specific ghost Marowak from RBY? It could have been any other pokemon species.

Also, taking away Cloyster's ice typing is a surefire way to make it completely outclassed by the other water-type shell smashers, as well as pretty much any defensive water-type.
Water is the most common type in the game, so we should aim to make each of them stand out rather than trying to turn them into "generic good" otherwise they end up like things such as Mesprit and Audino who never see the light of the day in higher tiers despite being usable.

I have to disagree with M-Marowak's ghost retyping making sense.
How does it make it sense? Because it wears and uses bones? So does Mandibuzz. Because of that specific ghost Marowak from RBY? It could have been any other pokemon species.

Also, taking away Cloyster's ice typing is a surefire way to make it completely outclassed by the other water-type shell smashers, as well as pretty much any defensive water-type.
Water is the most common type in the game, so we should aim to make each of them stand out rather than trying to turn them into "generic good" otherwise they end up like things such as Mesprit and Audino who never see the light of the day in higher tiers despite being usable.
I think it's a homage to the ghost marowak in RBY, which is kind of cool, but besides thT it does 't makr sense as a whole and I dislike it.

Yeah, I think that it would make much more sense to give Marowak a secondari Fighting or Dark typing in order to show its frustration for the loss of its mother. I would prefer Fighting because it's unique typing with Ground, and also because it sucks ass as an offensive combo, mitigating its strenght if we are going to give Huge Power to it(Parental Bond doesn't make sense because it implies two entities attacking).

And Water-Ghost Cloyster makes even less sense. What's the reasoning behind it, it looks like Gastly? Lol. Keep in mind that Ken Sugimori had to desing most of the original 151 mons, so it wasn't unusual that some Pokémon shared some physical traits(a great example is Blastoise and Venusaur head, which is very similar, but it's pretty obvious that the two aren't related in any way). Even Cubone is wearing a Charizard skull(lol, can someone seriously belive that a skull with two horns belongs to a Kangaskhan, a Pokémon without any horns to all things?), but I don't see anyone advocating Ground-Fire Marowak for that matter.

Steel, Poison and Rock are much, much better fits imo.

Yeah, I think that it would make much more sense to give Marowak a secondari Fighting or Dark typing in order to show its frustration for the loss of its mother. I would prefer Fighting because it's unique typing with Ground, and also because it sucks ass as an offensive combo, mitigating its strenght if we are going to give Huge Power to it(Parental Bond doesn't make sense because it implies two entities attacking).

And Water-Ghost Cloyster makes even less sense. What's the reasoning behind it, it looks like Gastly? Lol. Keep in mind that Ken Sugimori had to desing most of the original 151 mons, so it wasn't unusual that some Pokémon shared some physical traits(a great example is Blastoise and Venusaur head, which is very similar, but it's pretty obvious that the two aren't related in any way). Even Cubone is wearing a Charizard skull(lol, can someone seriously belive that a skull with two horns belongs to a Kangaskhan, a Pokémon without any horns to all things?), but I don't see anyone advocating Ground-Fire Marowak for that matter.

Steel, Poison and Rock are much, much better fits imo.
I don't really think Steel or Poison are the most fitting either. Rock I can barely see, only because it's like a more natural explanation for why it's so resilient, resists bomb blasts and stuff.

But Steel? And Poison is just totally random. The only thing relatively poison about it is that it learns Toxic and that doesn't count.

Plus we already have a few Watwr/Rock types, only one Water/Ghost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)