2013/2014 Soccer/Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not all that convinced anyone but Argentina can beat Brazil on home turf, yet wouldn't fancy Argentina against Spain or Germany. Then again the Germany-Brazil-Spain-Argentina final four just seems all too obvious, someones like Portugal or Uruguay will probably step up.

Pronostico_Mundial_-_Olé_-_2014-05-28_19.33.21.jpg

Last edited:
I dunno what you were looking for that you found Olé, SuperScizor lol. It's not even my first choice for a sports portal here, not that it's bad or anything. But yea, that's pretty cool.

Honestly I can't see Brazil losing if they get to the finals, much less against us. I doubt they'd want another Maracanazo, but I'm also not sure if they'll be able to get to the finals in the first place.

I kinda dig having a rematch against Germany, even if we'd face off at the finals and not sooner. Mostly because in 2006 we were better (like I said before, we had an actual team even if we relied too much on Riquelme) until Abbondanzieri got injured, but also because it'd be good to play with a real coach this time, since Sabella is smart enough to not do what Maradona did and keep the same starting 11 because of a win against Mexico.
Not saying we'd win or anything, but it's generally been an attractive matchup. Also if we passed QF I assume we'd have our most important players in a good level, so it's fair to say anything could happen in the last two games.

Also no Falcao, Suárez, and now no van der Vaart, at least for the first game(s). I hope their teams advance though, they have solid teams anyway—yes, even Uruguay :o

Is Falcao actually gonna make it? thought he was a doubt. Luck of the draw for Uruguay with or without Suarez they will beat Costa Rica in their opener.

Last edited:

Going for some pretty out-there predictions.

• Italy to be the form team in the tournament, finishing 4th and knocking out Spain
  • Belgium to only get second in their group, behind Russia
  • Colombia to only get second in their group, behind Ivory Coast
  • England to reach the quarter finals, showcasing my misplaced patriotism

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
It's funny how all real madrid supporters blame only guardiola :-D

It's true that our set-pieces are both - defensly and offensly - horrible. Nonetheless three and a half players on two positions are not very much and should be able to afford a world class CB as we don't need to do much in the summer. lewandowski comes for free and a right back might be awesome, maybe a central midfielder in case kroos leaves
I blame Guardiola because when he trained Barcelona they defended set pieces just as terribly. Not saying it's just his fault but a large part of the problem is him. Plus from what I recall, Bayern were more solid defending set pieces last year, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (you're the fan here so you probably know more)

Btw I have the feeling that either Spain or Brazil will end as the #2 seed in their groups and will face each other on the first round of playoffs. Wouldn't be the first time Spain fucks up on the first round so...

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Even Guardiola blames Guardiola (mostly for not using enough midfielders in this match) and yes we have been better at set-pieces last year, but you may not use 12/13 as a benchmark.
It's just that all of my spanish friends told me during / after the real match that it's only guardiolas fault

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
lol i was expecting tottenham to sign him... Strange deal regardless, lambert was one of the worst finishers in the league last year, and didnt exactly create chances... Not a bad player but much more of a midtable role player than even a squad player for a top team

Well you know guys, that's Liverpool's weakness - to score goals.

Yeah. Right.

I guess he's an upgrade on YAGO USPAS.
What about Borini? I kind of like him

If it's 7 mil then it's a good deal as it adds much needed depth. Looked good in every game that I have seen with him in it(except for the fa cup game against sunderland).

Immobile is close to agreeing a deal with dortmund who is going to be a great signing for them.

This Uruguay team is basically an older version of the 2010 team with two world class strikers which definitely wasn't the 4th best team there. Benefitted largely from the draw which I don't think they will have now.

Good signing but what happens to Adrian Ramos who they just signed, surely not gonna let a guy who just scored 16 league goals sit on the bench or shove him on the wing. Also Aubamanyang and Mkhitaryan has to fit somewhere as well.

Happy with the Rickie Lambert signing, especially for £4m. He'll be useful against teams that park the bus and he is a lot better technically than people give him credit for.

Also, this quote from Di Maria had me in stitches:

"It hurts when you're always doing your best for your club and then you hear that you might be going to Tottenham," Di Maria told Marca.

how fucking shite is welbeck. I can't believe he's starting ahead of sterling

and Glen johnson shouldn't even be in the squad. an absolute liability.

England played godawful for 70 minutes of the match and Peru deserved a draw, if this is how we play during the World Cup then I'm not even certain we can beat Costa Rica. I misjudged Welbeck though, he looked lively and was probably the best player on the pitch. Johnson on the other hand... horrible, kept giving the ball away. Shame Walker is injured.

Hate to say it, but England played much better and looked more lively with Rooney and Gerrard OFF the pitch..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)