Trapping to victory:a smogon doubles rmt

Trapping to victory:a smogon doubles rmt

Introduction

Yo guys this is my first rmt so be gentle.After seeing tony win the seattle regional with a perish trap team i wanted to try perish trap out.After many tries with pokemon like raichu,jumpluff,accelgor,etc.I found out hawlucha who had a very nice moveset so i decided to give him a try.So here is the team:

The Team:

Pwnemon (Gengar-Mega) (M) @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Def / 32 Spd / 224 HP
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Disable
- Perish Song
- Protect

The obvious mega of choice for a perish trap team,Gengar has gotten a huge amount of usage lately mainly because it can check physical attackers like kangaskhan which is huge because he is such a common pokemon and you can set up a perish trap no problem in his face.The moveset is pretty standard for a perish trap gengar,perish song for obvious reasons,Disable lets me make encore + disable tricks which really help get off a perish trap safely and even when i don't use it to perish trap disable can help me disable a move my partner or gegnar doesn't want to take.The EV's are the rather uncommon part,because i wasn't going to attack much investing in special attack didn't seem worth it,the EV's actually let gengar survive an adamant earthquake from landorus-T,the leftovers EV's were put in speed so i could outspeed max speed garchomp and below.

Shaian pls (Hawlucha) (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Limber
EVs: 208 Spd / 252 HP / 48 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Sky Drop
- Encore
- Taunt
- Feather Dance

Hawlucha is the weirdest pokemon in the team but also the most important pokemon even if it's not being used to perish trap it still helps a lot with a fast encore/taunt to prevent pokemon from using non offensive moves.Sky drop isn't used as much as the rest of the moves but it's rather helpful when i need to disable a threat so my partner can KO a pokemon,encore is really important because it helps a lot in getting a perish trap off and also because players have a tendency to protect a lot and think there are no punishes so it helps me get a free turn.Taunt is here for pokemon like amoonguss who can be rather annoying.Last move i wasn't so sure what i should use i was debating between Feather dance,quick guard and protect in the end i chose feather dance and it has been clutch in some matches letting my partner live a hit.The EV's are max bulk and the speed lets me outspeed max speed base 112's,the leftovers EV's were put in special defense.I run sitrus berry over sash because a lot of the times hawlucha can take a hit so i didn't find focus sash necessary.

Rotom-Clutch (Rotom-Heat) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 184 SAtk / 4 Spd / 20 SDef
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Rotom-H is my favorite fire type and in my opinion the best fire type in the metagame,Rotom-H serves a key role in my team to keep aegislash,bisharp and amoonguss is check which can all be pretty annoying the first 2 can screw up perish trap.The moveset is pretty standard because in my opinion it's his best moves.Overheat and thunderbolt hit ok with the special attack EV's.Will-o-wisp is important to burn physical attackers and protect because rotom-H is double targeted a lot.The EV's lets it live a life orb draco meteor from timid latios.48 defense EV's don't hit a specific benchmark but they just add physical bulk.The special attack EV's let it hit hard tho it misses the OHKO on amoonguss.Safety googles is something important because not only does it help me switch in vs amoonguss and breloom it also helps me a lot in the sun matchup because rotom-H is my main way of dealing with sun because it resist heat wave from charizard and giga drain from venusaur,venusaur usually tries to put rotom-H to sleep so the safety googles help a lot there.

Pimp (Ferrothorn) (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52 SDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Ferrothorn is mainly a pokemon that can switch in on hits and deal decent damage.The moves are pretty straight forward power whip and gyro ball for stab hits.Leech seed let me heal back hp and it also works really well with gengar because they can't switch out while their hp is chip'd away.Protect is protect good move on ferrothorn.The EV's are from Ray Rizzo's virginia regional ferrothorn which in my opinion is the best spread out there.The attack EV's let me OHKO rotom-W which is a rather annoying pokemon for this team.The leftover EV's are put in to maximize hp and give him a bit of bulk on the special side.Brave nature and 0 spd IV's to maximize gyro balls damage.Lum berry is there to avoid will-o-wisp.

fish (Gyarados) (F) @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Gyarados is the only water type i really like with perish trap which is why i added him to the team.Intimidate is always an awesome ability.The moves are pretty straight forward.Waterfall for stab and ice fang to hit landorus-T and garchomp.When given the opportunity to set up a Dragon dance gyarados will be able to make huge holes in a team.Protect is to avoid damage like always.The EV's are straight forward max attack and max speed.I went with adamant because i wanted the extra power and i didn't need the extra speed.Wacan berry because being able to take a thunderbolt and then KO an opponent is always clutch.(something that was helpful in my seasonals match with aurarayquaza).

Pinoy pimp :o (Bisharp) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Bisharp is my last team member.He helps gyarados avoid intimidate when he has set up a dragon dance.Bisharp is mainly here as a ghost killer because ghost types can ruin my perish trap especially aegislash who can be a real pain if not taken care of.The moves are fairly standard knock off and iron head are hard hitting stabs.Sucker punch for priority and protect to avoid damage.The Ev's are also standard max attack and max speed.I chose life orb because i really like the extra damage and i didn't think using sash was worth it to be honest.

Common Leads
+

My main lead and the one capable of doing the most damage.If i see from team preview my opponent can't handle perish trap well i will lead this two to get two quick kills which usually set up a win for me.While this two aren't an offensive core they do more work than one because if get the perish trap off not only do i get 2 kills my opponent is quicky behind from the first few turns(plus they usually get mad after i perish trap them :]).The main goal of this lead is to set off a perish trap.

+

When i can't perish trap right off the bat i like to lead with these 2 because they can beat pokemon that give my first lead trouble for example ghost types,Landorus-T(annoys my first core to an extent),etc.They also pack a lot of offensive power,bisharp helps gyarados because it can deal with pokemon with intimidate which gyarados doesn't like and gyarados helps bisharp deal with pokemon like rotom-H or heatran.The main goal of this lead is to put a lot of offensive pressure on my opponent to get them in a bad position with protect so i can set up a perish trap.
+

This lead is mainly when i see a lot of physical attackers on my opponents team,i can trap them with gengar and then burn them with rotom-H.I also usually lead this core vs sun teams because i can trap my opponents sun lead and then use Rotom-H's overheat to KO venusaur or Thunderbolt to KO charizard.Also rotom-H can take care of bisharp and aegislash for gengar.

The team in action:
VS electrolyte: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoublescurrent-123410616
VS Not canadian: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoublescurrent-126466433
VS memoric: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoublescurrent-126645674

Shoutouts
Shoutouts to Nollan for doing me a favor and making me EV's for gengar,Rotom-H and hawlucha.Shoutouts to Pinoy Pwnage for helping me test a lot.Shoutouts to Electrolyte , Memoric and Not Canadian for helping me test also.

Pwnemon (Gengar-Mega) (M) @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 Def / 32 Spd / 224 HP
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Disable
- Perish Song
- Protect

Shaian pls (Hawlucha) (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Jolly Nature
- Sky Drop
- Encore
- Taunt
- Feather Dance

Rotom-Clutch (Rotom-Heat) @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 184 SAtk / 4 Spd / 20 SDef
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Pimp (Ferrothorn) (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52 SDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

fish (Gyarados) (F) @ Wacan Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Pinoy pimp :o (Bisharp) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

you could try liepard > hawlucha

it gets fake out to help set up, along with prankster encore and taunt meaning it can shut down stuff easier

it also gets twave and swagger ;]

however it is pretty frail and amplifies your weakness to fighting

you could try liepard > hawlucha

it gets fake out to help set up, along with prankster encore and taunt meaning it can shut down stuff easier

it also gets twave and swagger ;]

however it is pretty frail and amplifies your weakness to fighting
Tbh i don't really like liepard while fake out is nice and everything i honestly like hawlucha more for that ground immunity which is pretty clutch considering mega gengar is weak to ground and the fighting resist is also nice because of the 2 steel types that i have.

solid partial perish team, the EVs on Rotom seem a bit strange/unspecific so I'll recommend the spread that I use (slightly tweaked):

Rotom-Heat
EVs: 128 Spd / 124 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature

So yeah that looks like a really weird spread (and it is) but here's what you get:
- you can still live your life orb Draco from latios
- outspeed Bisharps and Brelooms that wanna h8
- More than enough special attack, but you have a 37% chance to OHKO Bisharp at -2 which is p chill in case your opp thinks they wanna start making plays & bring in sharp after you fire off an overheat (-2 124+ SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 242-288 (88.9 - 105.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO) and you'll always OHKO frailloom at -2 (-2 124+ SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Breloom: 272-324 (103.8 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO)
it seems rather interesting i'll give it a try tho i don't really see me needing to outspeed breloom when i have safety googles but being able to outspeed bisharp is pretty cool considering rotom-H is my main answer to it.I'll test it out.

Yo, champetero! I finally got around to rating your perish trap team after you bugged me for the past few days on Pokémon Showdown. :P Your team is fairly solid for a partial perish trap team, and I had a lot of fun playing against you when we were testing. However, I would just like to make a few minor suggestions that could really benefit your team in the long run.

Seeing as your mainly lead with Hawlucha + Gengar for the purpose of perish trapping early in the match, I highly recommend giving Hawlucha Quick Guard over Feather Dance. Quick Guard protects you from common Prankster Taunts from the likes of Thundurus-I and the occasional Liepard, allowing Gengar to pull off a Perish Song guaranteed. I'd also like to mention that you are also shielded from Adamant LO Talonflame's priority STAB Brave Bird, which would normally OHKO your Hawlucha and 2HKO Gengar if left unchecked. Additionally, you are protected from Fake Out, as well as many other priority attacks such as Prankster Thunder Wave, Aqua Jet (against Rotom-H), Mach Punch (against Bisharp), etc.

The only other change I would make to your team is to change the EV spread of Gyarados to 4 HP / 164 Atk / 200 SDef / 140 Spd; this allows him to become somewhat of a specially defensive wall that's difficult to take down with 200 SDef EVs, while having solid offensive capabilities with 164 Atk EVs invested + Adamant nature and the 140 Speed EVs. You will still be able to 2HKO 4 HP Landorus-Therian with Ice Fang (even at -1 Attack), and 2HKO Max HP Heatran with Waterfall. You're running a Dragon Dance set, so you will want some significant bulk to go along with the offensive firepower Gyarados possesses.

Anyway, hope I helped! Good luck with this team in the Doubles Circuit if you're using it. :]

Hawlucha @ Sitrus Berry
Jolly Nature
- Sky Drop
- Encore
- Taunt
- Quick Guard

Gyarados @ Wacan Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 164 Atk / 140 Spd / 200 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Thanks for the rate Pinoy Pwnage I was on the fence on using feather dance or quick guard so i'll give guick guard another try.About gyarados that's an interesting EV spread because i mostly use him for intimidate and then set up DD when i no longer need hawlucha after my opponent's pokemon are encore'd/disable'd so i can get up a free DD i'll give the spread a try.

Ok champetero, against all will of mine, im gonna try and help with this team, although there isnt much more to say that i wouldnt just be using echoed voice on.

First thing i notice is your ferrothorn evs. I would change them to 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 SDef. It is just a nitpick, but this spread allows you to OHKO 252/0 rotom-w still, which is the most common spread going off the usage stats, while having a bit more bulk. If im totally honest, i put the 80 evs into defense as ferro resists a lot of common special attacks already (fairy, draco, water etc) but it is up to personal preference.

Secondly, an even smaller nitpick, but i would shift 8 evs from speed over to special defense. The only reason i say this is because hawlucha is super frail on spdef and needs all the bulk it can get. 200 speed evs lets you outspeed base 111s (i.e. Thundurus-i) and do your shenanigans.

Honestly, im not sure what more can be done to perfect this aids strategy of yours (im still salty over the 6-0!). Good job with the team!

AuraRayquaza interesting ferro spread i'll give it a try and about the hawlucha 8 speed lets you oustpeed base 112's(mega lucario) while the 8 EV's in special defense don't really do much so idk i rather have the safety net vs mega lucario even tho he isn't common.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)