Pokémon Haxorus

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Pokemon is an absolute monster and has great viability in OU. I will list various sets / skills to use with Haxorus and how it could become OU with more usage.
Moveset(s):
Haxorus @ Lum Berry (Set 1)
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Haxorus @ Choice Scarf (Set 2)
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 220 Spd / 252 Atk / 36 HP
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Superpower/Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Haxorus @ Leftovers (Set 3)
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Atk / 248 Def
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Tail
- Poison Jab
- Rest/Earthquake
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There really aren't many sets for Haxorus which makes it predictable sometimes. Now, let's go over the sets:
Set 1 consists of a Dragon Dance sweeper set, which is the best Haxorus set in my opinion. After setting up a Dragon Dance (or two), you can easily pull off a sweep. If a Specially Defensive Rotom tries to burn you and you have the Lum Berry, then they probably will get KO'ed by the upcoming Dragon Claw/Earthquake. Mold Breaker in conjunction with Earthquake hits Levitate Users (Ex: Rotom-Wash/Rotom-Heat) really hard and will probably OHKO from the HP they're at.

Set 2 is a Choice Scarf set with 36 HP for added bulk and max attack for high KO potential (which is what you want with Haxorus). The rest goes in Speed to work with the Choice Scarf. You want Outrage, because Outrage + Choice Scarf is a good combo overall. Though you'll be locked into a move, Outrage only lasts for 2 - 3 turns. You'll probably hit something, and then hit it again, because the opponent is foddering that Pokemon off, so their Fairy can come in. All together, that is 3 turns which is what you want. Superpower can hit some things like a Skarmory for about 30% - 57% damage. Earthquake + Mold Breaker once again and Poison Jab for Fairies. Rock Sldie can hit Charizard-Mega-Y after outspeeding.

Set 3 is a tank set designed by me. I run 248 HP for the bulk and Max Defense (Impish Nature). The rest goes in attack just for added power. Dragon Tail is a shifting move (Roar/Whirlwind) and stops set up sweepers. After getting behind a sub you can Dragon Tail freely. Poison Jab hits fairies, but you get walled by Mawile. What must you do then? I'd run Earthquake over Rest, but that would give it a more offensive presence. That isn't what we want. I'd go rest over Earthquake just for this set. When a Belly Drum Azumarill tries to use its Sitrus Berry, my Unnerve breaks the Sitrus Berry. I can proceed on with my life and kill with Poison Jab.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What are the chances/ratings of Haxorus going to OU?
I wouldn't say the possibilities are too high, but I like the chances. It is very viable in OU though having verry little sets. It gets an amazing ability and hits almost everything in the OU tier super effective. It has an okay speed tier. If ran with a Choice Scarf it can outspeed Charizard-Mega-X and OHKO with Outrage. Rock Slide hits Talonflame AND Charizard (big threats in OU) with Super Effective damage. I think Haxorus has a big chance to become OU if it gets more usage/play. What are you guys' thoughts on this? :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eh, I don't really know if this was the right place to post this..It says OU and I'm talking about OU..so.. >.>

The third set is something I'd never seen before and is quite interesting, but I don't think its defenses are THAT great where it could pull it off effectively. I think Dragonite performs the Hazing role much better.

The only issue I have with Dragon Dance is actually Intimidate, which literally drops your Attack just by showing up on the field. Because of its commonality, you're pretty much only just getting speed boosts. Which is why I've tried this set at one point:

Haxorus
Item: Razor Claw
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd

Focus Energy
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Rock Slide

I haven't experienced much with this set in Singles though so I couldn't effectively comment on that, but I always felt that critical hits and mold breaker make an absolutely menacing combination. Just my two cents on the matter.

Technically, Haxorus is in BL, which makes him an OU Pokemon by default, albeit an outclassed on for the most part. Also, if you're ever unsure if a certain forum is the right place to post something, you should check the forum rules before hand. The question could have been asked in the Simple Questions, Simple Answers thread. There's also a thread for talking about old Pokemon who haven't really received any new tricks here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/old-mon-general-discussion.3490455/

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Technically, Haxorus is in BL, which makes him an OU Pokemon by default,
No. That's wrong. If BL makes it OU by default then there would be no need for the BL tier to exist.

BL is there exactly for Pokemon like Haxorus, which are banned in the lower tiers but aren't actually OU by usage. It doesn't matter if it can only be used in OU/ubers, that's irrelevant.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/haxorus-gp-2-2.3495568/

None of those are sets that capitalize on Haxorus's strengths, particularly the last one which is outclassed by so many bulkier dragons like Dragonite, Zygarde and Garchomp, and Garchomp and Kyurem-B are better Scarf users. The first one is on the right track, but soem of the moves and the EV spread aren't the best choices. Hax doesn't need a thread though, I'd also suggest talking about him in the old mon thread.

Arikado said:
BL is there exactly for Pokemon like Haxorus, which are banned in the lower tiers but aren't actually OU by usage. It doesn't matter if it can only be used in OU/ubers, that's irrelevant.
Forgive me, that was a misconception on my part. Thanks for the clarification.

Well since everyone covered the offensive sets. I'll say what o have to say about defensive set. That is outclassed as well. Garchomp is the better at doing a RestTalk set with Dragon Tail. Better defenses and ability. Unnerve is a waste. What berries are really used outside of Lum / Chesto / Sitrus? Sitrus is probably the most common but Haxorus is rekt'D by Azumarill anyway. If you really want a Bulky Dragon, Haxorus isn't the right choice. Its a bad choice really. A huge waste of potential.

What does Haxorus do that Dragonite can't? Kyurem-B? Charizard-X? The point is there's a lot of powerful Dragons that pretty much cover what Haxorus can do and then some. If you think Haxorus should be OU, then all the power to you- use it. Technically it is sort of OU (It's banned from UU), but a pokemon's viability has nothing to do with its ranking. For example: Infernape has been absolute garbage for about a gen or two in OU, and it's just now dropping to UU.

Haxorus can break stall and baton pass with mold breaker taunt and roar but thats all it has over dragonite. End of story.

I've tried exactly that first set. It's really lackluster. It's either not fast enough or the dragon claw does not hit hard enough. Outrage is mandatory imo, and the lum can be used to remove the fatigue.

EDIT: I am a fan of the poison jab though, no one expects it.

while outclassed haxorus has 1 huge niche over other dragons in mold breaker SD IMO. I used a team with jolly ddance char x and SD haxorus and hax more than pulled his weight, haxorus could beat quagsire which meant I didn't have to run adamant char x, which enabled me to get the jump on offensive lando Ts, kyu'bs and excadrills, which was always nice. Haxorus also allowed me to wear down everything char X didn't like taking on himself thanks to poison jab, such as clefable and azumarill and hippowdown and lando T. Haxorus has a usable niche in OU and he's a fantastic stallbreaker, wallbreaker, and backup sweeper all in one.

Just use it with a choice band or swords dance for ultra nukes. First, you should take the fairie out, then, proceed to wallbreak with impunity, do not forgetting haxorus have mold breaker EQ.

The third set is something I'd never seen before and is quite interesting, but I don't think its defenses are THAT great where it could pull it off effectively. I think Dragonite performs the Hazing role much better.

The only issue I have with Dragon Dance is actually Intimidate, which literally drops your Attack just by showing up on the field. Because of its commonality, you're pretty much only just getting speed boosts. Which is why I've tried this set at one point:

Haxorus
Item: Razor Claw
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd

Focus Energy
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Rock Slide

I haven't experienced much with this set in Singles though so I couldn't effectively comment on that, but I always felt that critical hits and mold breaker make an absolutely menacing combination. Just my two cents on the matter.
This is way too gimmicky too be of use, so I would not recommend it. Haxorus is severely outclassed by Mega Charizard X and Dragonite in my opinion, with Mega Zard X being better all around, while its STABs are nearly unresisted, and Dragonite having Multiscale. Haxorus isn't even that good and I wouldn't use it over the aforementioned options. If you run it, I recommend running it with at least 92 Spe EVs if using Dragon Dance, to outspeed Greninja at +1, so that's my two cents.

While other dragon-types have their uses over Haxorus, it isn't completely outclassed by them.

Mold Breaker, Taunt, Poison Jab, ability to hold Lum Berry/Life Orb, and a higher attack stat are reasons to use it over Charizard-X. Dragon Dance gives it a reason to be used over Kyurem-B and Garchomp, while it also has a higher attack stat than Garchomp. Poison Jab, a higher attack stat, lack of 4x Ice weakness and rocks weakness, and Taunt give it reasons to be used over Dragonite.

However, Haxorus's main flaws are its relatively low defenses, inability to go mixed (although since you're using Dragon Dance you don't really have to), and EXTREMELY small movepool. IMO if it had any Fire-type moves it would be way better because then it could beat Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and other Pokemon while also still beating Mega Mawile and ignoring Heatran's Flash Fire. For now it isn't really directly outclassed by any Dragon-types, but it doesn't have enough advantages to be used over them the majority of the time.

While other dragon-types have their uses over Haxorus, it isn't completely outclassed by them.

Mold Breaker, Taunt, Poison Jab, ability to hold Lum Berry/Life Orb, and a higher attack stat are reasons to use it over Charizard-X. Dragon Dance gives it a reason to be used over Kyurem-B and Garchomp, while it also has a higher attack stat than Garchomp. Poison Jab, a higher attack stat, lack of 4x Ice weakness and rocks weakness, and Taunt give it reasons to be used over Dragonite.

However, Haxorus's main flaws are its relatively low defenses, inability to go mixed (although since you're using Dragon Dance you don't really have to), and EXTREMELY small movepool. IMO if it had any Fire-type moves it would be way better because then it could beat Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and other Pokemon while also still beating Mega Mawile and ignoring Heatran's Flash Fire. For now it isn't really directly outclassed by any Dragon-types, but it doesn't have enough advantages to be used over them the majority of the time.
it gets one fire move Incinerate it could be used to neuter stuff like porygon2 or other pokemon that use items

Taunt and/or Poison Jab should be used on all sets. Without them, there's probably a Dragon who can pull off the set better.

Choice Band- Dragonite has Extreme Speed which is much more important than 10 extra attack.

DD- M-Charizard X, Dragonite

Scarf- Garchomp, Kyurem B

Sub attack- Kyurem B

SD- (M)Garchomp

These are just the Dragons off the top of my head that outclass Haxorus in these roles. Theres many other users of DD such as M-Tyranitar and M-Gyarados who do not outclass Hax, just bring so much more to the table. Same can be said for the SD set, with things like Talonflame, Mawile and M-Scizor who all possess priority making them much harder to revenge kill.

Last edited:
use it like knock off was once used first and as fire move second
Knock Off wasn't really ever used before it got the buff to 65 BP, which is 97.5 if they're holding an item. Unlike Knock Off, Incinerate doesn't increase its base power if the target is holding an item. Besides, Skarmory, the main reason to use a Fire-type move, isn't even 3HKOed unless you run maximum investment (which is a bad idea). Ferrothorn also isn't guarantee 2HKOed with maximum investment. And as stated Incinerate only removes berries, which are only used by Azumarill who will then OHKO you with Play Rough. So I'll amend my statement: Haxorus needs physical Fire-type moves.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm sorely tempted to close this thread because the OP really sucks (and apparently sucks at posting too, based on his quadruple posting), and Hax isn't that good either. Please prove to me that this thread can be more than crap.

btw-- use Choice Band to make the best use of this subpar poke.

Or, use Roar + Mold Breaker to troll BPass on the suspect ladder while that's still a thing.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
Haxorus is essentially the jack of all trades and master of none among the physically-oriented Dragons in OU.
It's wrong to say that the big 4 (Kyu-B, Megazard X, Dragonite and Garchomp) outclass Haxorus individually, but each of them is better in their own way:
-Kyu-B can attack on both sides of the spectrum, with better super-effective coverage, overall better stats and the same ability. It's also the only dragon in OU with a good match-up against Azumarill.
-Megazard X is a better Dragon Dance sweeper thanks to its STAB combination.
-Dragonite is a better bulky attacker. It also gets Extremespeed and it's the most versatile physical dragon in OU.
-Garchomp is a better Scarfer and Swords Dance user. It can also use its Mega evolution for its wallbreaking abilities.

What Haxorus has over them as a whole is Taunt. A DD/Taunt/Outrage/EQ (Poison Jab if you want to deal with fairies better) set is actually very strong against most stall teams (you need to run Lum Berry or Sableye will just neuter it with WoW) giving it a decent niche.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)