Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any good places to theorymon and get productive discussion from it? This excludes the Theorymon Project because it is severely restricted in theorymon options.

Okay, so after tons of battling with a variety of teams, I have come to a conclusion about why I don't win as often as I'd like to:

My team building ability sucks. I'm good at playing, I can predict, and such, but I often find my team either walled or just overwhelmed.

So, what are the best resources for me to learn solid, goal-oriented team building skills? I'm looking to understand key concepts and procedures so my entire team building mindset can evolve.
Battling 101 is the best option. I had similar problems. However, after one round of tutoring I feel that my teambuilding capabilities have improved.

Wasn't sure where to post this, but how do you do the show/hide function?
You can find all the BB Codes here.

Jst a curious question.

If baton pass chains are banned in OU. Does that mean every other tier below OU, (ie UU, RU & NU) will also have baton pass chain teams banned as well? Because I can't see baton pass chain teams being broken in the lower tiers unless that is a naive suggestion.

In NU for example. No smeargle means you can't pass ingrain and no espeon would mean no magic bounce so you'd a tough time stopping roar, taunt and other support move that could defeat a baton pass team.

Jst a curious question.

If baton pass chains are banned in OU. Does that mean every other tier below OU, (ie UU, RU & NU) will also have baton pass chain teams banned as well? Because I can't see baton pass chain teams being broken in the lower tiers unless that is a naive suggestion.

In NU for example. No smeargle means you can't pass ingrain and no espeon would mean no magic bounce so you'd a tough time stopping roar, taunt and other support move that could defeat a baton pass team.
Yes. Also, Smeargle would have been NU if not for BP making it rise to OU, so there's that.

So what would you all recommend. A Bold Natured Reuniclus with Calm Mind or a Trick Room Quiet Natured Reuniclus?
Defintiely go with Trick Room. Calm Mind Reuniclus is pretty ineffective in a metagame filled with Aegislash, Bisharp, Unaware Clefable, Mandibuzz, and other POkemon that either wall it to death, OHKO it with ease, or both. However, TR Reuni is good because it does not need to be in for multiple turns in order to be effectiveso being walled isn't a huge issue. Moreover, it is quite effective against offensive teams.

Okay, so after tons of battling with a variety of teams, I have come to a conclusion about why I don't win as often as I'd like to:

My team building ability sucks. I'm good at playing, I can predict, and such, but I often find my team either walled or just overwhelmed.

So, what are the best resources for me to learn solid, goal-oriented team building skills? I'm looking to understand key concepts and procedures so my entire team building mindset can evolve.
Keep in mind that I am a little nublet on the lower ladder. Take all my opinions with a "grain of salt", as you smogon people enjoy saying.
When you teambuild, function is the most important thing. You must choose pokemon that offensively/defensively synergize with each other rather than over thinking about type synergy. Type synergy is important, but not nearly as important as function synergy. Do not try to counter every pokemon in the OU tier. It is near impossible, with 6 generations of threats.
Jst a curious question.

I think so.

This ok for rampardos?

Rampardos @ Life Orb
Sheer Force
Brave, Max HP/Atk
Rock Slide
EQ
Crunch
Zen Headbutt

No access to transfer moves. Possibly Sub or SD over Zen?

Battling 101 is the best option. I had similar problems. However, after one round of tutoring I feel that my teambuilding capabilities have improved.
Okay, but any suggestions for team building resources in the meantime before the next sign up period?

To be honest, Scizor that isn't Mega or Choice Band is really mediocre in this metagame. Defog Scizor kinda needs the extra bulk from Scizorite to be able to use Defog effectively, and OU isn't exactly running low on good defoggers to begin with. However, if you do choose to use Defog Scizor and you can't use Scizorite, then Leftovers would be the best option.
If Choice Scarf Excadrill as a spinner is so viable, why can't a banded defog Scizor be? I've always wondered

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If Choice Scarf Excadrill as a spinner is so viable, why can't a banded defog Scizor be? I've always wondered
Because the only real moves you should be runnung in band are Bullet Punch | U-Turn | Superpower/Brick Break | Pursuit. Plus, being locked into Defog loses serious momentum for your team. Scarf Excadrill is different because Earthquake / Iron Head / Rock Slide hit everything they need to, which leaves a free slot open, which usually goes to Rapid Spin.

Also, Scarf Rapid Spin is nice because it lets you be able to spin against just about anything thanks to Scarf Excadrill's high Speed and the fact that both of OU's Ghost-types are weak to Mold Breaker Earthquake. The incredibly slow Choice Band Scizor can't really do the same thing with Defog, so the momentum loss is a much bigger deal.

I'm using Lucario in UU,and I have this set so far:
Lucario@Air Balloon
EVS:252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
Jolly Nature
-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-Extremespeed
-unknown move

Can you guys help me decide on a fourth move and maybe offer other suggestions?(all the sets I could find are OU)

Lucario@Air Balloon
Jolly Nature
-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-Extremespeed
-unknown move

Can you guys help me decide on a fourth move and maybe offer other suggestions?
You made me imagine Lucario floating while holding a balloon XD

Maybe Iron Head?

Lucario@Air Balloon
Jolly Nature
-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-Extremespeed
-unknown move

Can you guys help me decide on a fourth move and maybe offer other suggestions?(all the sets I could find are OU)
You might get more of a response in the UU simple questions thread :o

That said, Crunch is the preferred option since it lets you beat Slowbro and non-Scarf Chandelure. Also, I would definitely go with Adamant since Jolly doesn't really outspeed anything important. Air Balloon is a pretty bad option tbh, I would go with Life Orb because without it you miss a few notable Extremespeed kos iirc.

I don't know what changed with BP team so I don't understandwhy people want to ban it NOW. Can someone explain me what changed since the last generation ?

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't know what changed with BP team so I don't understandwhy people want to ban it NOW. Can someone explain me what changed since the last generation ?
Scolipede: This thing now gets Speed Boost, and is the biggest change and the most notable buff to Baton Pass. Along with Speed Boost, it also gets Iron Defense, so it can boost it's defense while simultaneously boosting speed thanks to its ability. It's also fairly fast with a base speed of 112 and has a good typing in Bug/Poison.

Sylveon: Sylveon is now the best answer to Dark-types thanks to its Fairy typing, high Special Attack, good bulk, and access to Pixilate + Hyper Voice. It also learns Stored Power which makes it an emergency sweeper/baton pass receiver if Espeon is down or if there is a dark-type in the opposing team.

You might think that's not enough for BP to be as overcentralizing/broken as people make it out to be, but it is.

For offensively orientated teams, or non-defensive/stall, teams are Pokemon that resist/can eat up hits from like FlyingSpam still important? Basically, are Pokemon defensively-inclined/EV'd or those with strong resistances still important to have on like Hyper Offense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)