LC Inkay [QC: 3/3] [GP: 2/2]

QC: Rowan / TCR / Hawkstar
GP: fleurdyleurse / Ender
Overview
########

Inkay has a powerful niche due to the combination of Contrary and Superpower, which creates a snowball effect: after using Superpower, Inkay's Attack and Defense are raised, which allows it to slowly accumulate boosts. However, Inkay's low Speed holds it back greatly, and it needs either Trick Room or Choice Scarf to mitigate this. Its bulk is also severely lacking, and without any boosts, it fails to be able to take many hits. Although Inkay only has two weaknesses, it also has no resistances, which gives it a lack of opportunities to switch in. Inkay's movepool is also quite small, so it does not have very much to work with. Finally, it lacks recovery, meaning it is worn down quickly. Although Inkay has its fair share of flaws, its unique niche still makes it a fine choice for your team.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Superpower
move 2: Psycho Cut
move 3: Switcheroo
move 4: Night Slash
ability: Contrary
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 12 Def / 236 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

Inkay has a unique niche in its ability Contrary, and it also has access to the move Superpower, which is benefitted by Contrary. After one or two Superpowers, Inkay becomes quite powerful and bulky. Psycho Cut is Inkay's other STAB move and gets great coverage alongside Superpower. Switcheroo is used to steal the opponent's items, such as Berry Juice or Eviolite, while also crippling Pokemon that rely on these items. Night Slash gets good neutral coverage and is another STAB option for Inkay.

Set Details
========

Choice Scarf is essential to bolster Inkay's Speed; with Choice Scarf equipped, Inkay reaches 22 Speed, outspeeding the entire unboosted tier. The given Speed and Attack EVs give Inkay the maximum power and Speed possible, while 12 EVs in Defense and HP give it an extra boost in both of these stats. Adamant nature is a possibility; however, Inkay's damage isn't increased enough to merit its use over Jolly.

Usage Tips
========

Inkay is fairly simple to use: spam Superpower to attempt to create a snowball effect to accumulate boosts. However, be careful about being locked into certain moves; being locked into Superpower leaves Inkay vulnerable to Ghost-types, while Psycho Cut leaves Inkay vulnerable to being revenge-killed by Dark-types. Although Inkay should mainly focus on setting up with Superpower, try to predict when to set up early- or late-game, and if you can't find a proper time to sweep, use Switcheroo.

Team Options
========

Steel-types such as Pawniard and Honedge have great synergy with Inkay because they resist Inkay's Fairy-type weakness and Inkay can revenge kill Fighting-types in return. Pawniard, in particular, is a good partner, as it can Pursuit trap Ghost-types and allow Inkay to freely spam Superpower; it also can Knock Off Eviolites to help Inkay do more damage. Hazards are essential to wear down potential switch-ins, thus making Dwebble a good partner. Rapid Spin or Defog support is helpful because Inkay switches often and can be worn down quickly.

Other Options
########

Rock Slide is an option for coverage, hitting Flying- and Fire-type Pokemon. Topsy-Turvy could potentially be of use; however, it is difficult to pull off and Inkay is too slow to utilize it effectively. Hypnosis gets a notable mention to cripple a Pokemon and wreak havoc, but it has shaky accuracy, thus making it unreliable. Trick Room is an alternative to Choice Scarf to mitigate Inkay's Speed issues, although its other uses are limited. Destiny Bond can catch something off guard as a last resort. Payback can work well with Inkay's poor Speed, although it is a bit unreliable. Substitute has merit, as Inkay can often find room for it, although the loss of HP is a bit of a downfall. Finally, Sticky Web support can be used and allows Inkay to run Eviolite instead of Choice Scarf.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bug-types**: Bug-types such as Dwebble and Larvesta resist Superpower, and can effectively remove Inkay with their STAB moves, which Inkay is 4x weak to. Pokemon that carry U-turn also can take down Inkay and keep up momentum.

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types like Spritzee and Cottonee resist Superpower and have super effective STAB moves to dispose of Inkay with.

**Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon equipped with a Choice Scarf or Pokemon with naturally higher Speed can revenge kill Inkay easily.

**Special Attackers**: Most special attackers such as Misdreavus can give Inkay a hard time and can often leave it very weak, as Inkay lacks much Special Defense.

**Residual Damage**: Residual damage adds up quickly because Inkay switches often. Toxic Spikes in particular wears it down especially quickly.

Overview
########
  • Pros:
    • Unique typing with only two weaknesses.
    • Contrary in conjunction with Superpower gives it a powerful niche.
    • Topsy-Turvy can play mind games and make set up sweepers wary of setting up.
    • Great Attack and Defense after using Superpower.

• Cons:
    • Low Speed, needing either Trick Room or Choice Scarf to make up for this.
    • Low Special bulk, which is easily taken advantage of.
    • 4x weakness to U-turn is a bummer.
    • Small movepool, with not many options.
    • Has no resistances whatsoever.
    • Lack of reliable recovery.

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========
  • Superpower turns Inkay into a very powerful physical attacker and also buffs its Defense.
  • Psycho Cut gets great coverage with Superpower and is a powerful STAB move.
  • Switcheroo steals away viable items for other opponents such as Eviolite or Berry Juice, while crippling some Pokemon as well.
  • Night Slash is another STAB move that gets great neutral coverage.

Set Details
========
  • Choice Scarf allows Inkay to reach 22 Speed with Jolly, outspeeding the entire unboosted tier.
  • 236 Speed and 244 Attack EVs give Inkay maximum Attack and Speed that is possible.
  • 12 Defense and 12 HP give it an extra stat boost into both of these stats, but isn't necessary by any means.
  • An Adamant nature can be used, however, this does not increase Inkay's damage output enough to be worthy of use instead of Jolly.

Usage Tips
========
  • Be careful about being locked into certain moves, as being locked into Superpower leaves it walled against Ghost-types, while Psycho Cut leaves you open to being revenge killed by Dark-types.
  • Predict when to set up; either early game or late game, if you can't find a time to sweep, use Switcheroo.

Team Options
========
  • Steel-types, such as Pawniard and Honedge, form great cores with Inkay because they cover its weakness to Fairy, while Inkay can revenge kill Fighting-types in return.
  • Dwebble can set hazards such as Spikes and Stealth Rock to wear down potential switch-ins.
  • Rapid Spin support or Defog support is helpful as Inkay will be switching often.
  • Pawniard makes for a good partner because it can Pursuit trap Ghost-types to allow for a free Superpower spam, it also can Knock Off Eviolites because Inkay is not very powerful.

Other Options
########
  • Rock Slide for coverage; hitting Flying- and Fire-types.
  • Topsy-Turvy is a nifty move, but it is somewhat difficult to pull off.
  • Hypnosis allows Inkay to cripple a Pokemon and continue to wreak havoc, but it has a very shaky accuracy, making it somewhat unreliable.
  • Trick Room as an alternative way to get around its poor Speed can be used, but it takes up a moveslot and doesn't last very long.
  • Destiny Bond can catch an opponent off guard and bring something down with it.
  • Payback can work well with Inkay's poor Speed, but it is somewhat unreliable.
  • Substitute has merit, as Inkay doesn't have very severe four-moveslot syndrome, so it can afford a slot to run Substitute.
  • Sticky Web support can be utilized and allow Inkay to run Eviolite instead of Choice Scarf.

Checks & Counters
########
  • Most Bug-types, including Dwebble and Larvesta.
  • Fairy-types such as Spritzee and Cottonee.
  • Any faster Scarfer can outspeed and hit Inkay.
  • A lot of Special Attackers can leave it weak, as it lacks much Special Defense.
  • Toxic Spikes wear it down very quickly, it absolutely hates them.
  • Anything with U-Turn will take down Inkay and give the opponent momentum.

Last edited:

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just a nitpick, EVs should be in the order of HP/Atk/Def/SpA/SpD/Spe, so yours should be 12 HP / 244 Atk / 12 Def / 236 Spe. (Spe not Spd)

Is topsy-turvy really any use on a choice scarf set, I really wouldn't like being locked into that... Night Slash+Switcheroo on the same set seem better... pretty sure QC would agree... i can't really think of any set-up sweepers that inkay can actually get in to use topsy-turvy on, I'd move it to OO personally.

in C&C mention anything that gets U-turn makes inkay a liability - as Inkay either dies, or the momentum is with the opponent.

You mention Trick Room in the overview but don't even give it a set... I really don't know if it's viable, but I'd ask kingmidas about it, he has a ton of experience with TR Inkay. If not including TR set, remove it from the overview.

Maybe a Berry Juice, Sub + 3 attacks set as well... it's pretty usable with sticky web support.

I wouldn't even include a special set in OO... it shouldn't really be used at all, inkay's niche is pretty much superpower and that's it.

Payback in OO - sort of works okay with it's crappy speed

Corkscrew, I've used this Inkay set and it has worked great, it is best used as a revenge swapper to stop Pokemon from sweeping your team,it's been very effective when I used it. And idk about the other sets honestly...

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Corkscrew, I've used this Inkay set and it has worked great, it is best used as a revenge swapper to stop Pokemon from sweeping your team,it's been very effective when I used it. And idk about the other sets honestly...
what does it actually stop though? Scraggy and shell smashers just outspeed and OHKO when boosted. the only other boosters i can think of are Misdreavus (already has a 75% chance to OHKO the berry juice set), Gligar: who will realise you are scarfed when you outspeed it and he can just use SD on the switch in, making it not that crippling... Pawniard as well, will just SD again as you switch out.

basically it's not a very good solution to set up sweepers, especially when you're getting locked into a move.

what does it actually stop though? Scraggy and shell smashers just outspeed and OHKO when boosted. the only other boosters i can think of are Misdreavus (already has a 75% chance to OHKO the berry juice set), Gligar: who will realise you are scarfed when you outspeed it and he can just use SD on the switch in, making it not that crippling... Pawniard as well, will just SD again as you switch out.

basically it's not a very good solution to set up sweepers, especially when you're getting locked into a move.
Ok, what would you recommend there?

Yep corks right I've been using it since my first real team. Anyway a TR set doesn't have the stuff imo to be a real set. Sure it will be better if tangela or yanma get banned. But right now not assuming tangela or yanma or banned list it in OO. And make sure to mention hypnosis, as even with the accuracy the turns given can make inkay unstoppable. Topsy-Turvey is a decent gimmick I'd tried it, but it has to much opportunity cost when compared to switcheroo, as even without a choice scarf stealing bj's after you used them or giving a mon like swirlix eviolite is amazing.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I recommend adding Torchic in under Team Options: after a Focus Energy, which Torchic can Baton Pass, Psycho Cut and Night Slash have a 100% critical hit rate.

Also, remove mentions of Tangela and Yanma.

Expulso, I'm a little iffy on adding Torchic, as it makes a great partner for virtually everything, but I have removed those mentions, thanks.

Mention that inkay works extremely well in Sticky Web, and with a Jolly nature, you outspeed almost every scarfer if Sticky Web is up.

I use this set on my Sticky Web team:
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Contrary
Move 1: Superpower
Move 2: Night Slash
Move 3: Rock Slide
Move 4: Topsy-Turvy
EVs: 12 HP/ 244 Atk/12 Def/236 spe
Adamant/jolly

Sticky Web should definitely be listed in Team Options.

Mention that inkay works extremely well in Sticky Web, and with a Jolly nature, you outspeed almost every scarfer if Sticky Web is up.

I use this set on my Sticky Web team:
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Contrary
Move 1: Superpower
Move 2: Night Slash
Move 3: Rock Slide
Move 4: Topsy-Turvy
EVs: 12 HP/ 244 Atk/12 Def/236 spe
Adamant/jolly

Sticky Web should definitely be listed in Team Options.
I just see some issues, as Sticky Web has trash users, and you lose power by using Focus Sash, which will not always be in tact thanks to entry hazards, so I'm iffy on this set. If QC thinks I should add Sticky Web / this set, then I guess.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Hi Chesnaught! This writeup is in need of editing before you move to QC, as this was written in the era of Swirlix and Gligar. If you can make these edits, we'll go ahead and QC it. If for some reason you can't do it, let me know and I'll reassign it to another writer. :)

Rowan

The professor?
usage tips: you should be predicting early game, but late game hopefully getting a sweep with superpower - use switcheroo if you don't think you can sweep to cripple something.

rapid spin/defog support should be move to Other options.

knock off support in team options cos inkay is weak af. mention pursuit support as well, cos then inkay can spam superpower without fear of ghosts. <--Pawniard is good teammate for these reasons.

remove wish support from team options... it's not necessary with a Choice Scarf user.

'while Inkay can take on the Fighting-types such as Mienfoo who trouble them in return.' - inkay can't really switch into fighting types tbh, only revenge, change it to that.

Rock-types such as Lileep make good partners as they can handle all the stray U-turns --- tbh nothing can take a uturn cos either way you're in a bad position. just remove it all together.

fighting types with poison jab can maybe lure spritzee and cottonee for it.

mention a set that is supported by sticky web in Other Options.

i guess this is qc 1/3 after that

tHANKS Rowan ! I have implemented everything you said and have rewritten a large portion of this to better reflect the current metagame and to also fix up a lot of issues.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
In the future dont tag blara LOL

Corky said everything I was going to, qc 2/3

O remove infiltrator from OO. Theres no point in it, as that situation is too centralized, and Contrary is inkay's main niche

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I did a bunch of Jolly vs. Adamant calculations against all of the S, A, and B tier Pokemon and have concluded that Adamant is not worth it at all. I found only 2 cases where it had a possibility of mattering. The extra Speed point of Jolly will come in handy more often IMO. Thus, I'd like you to remove Adamant from the Scarf set and mention that it generally has no effect on Inkay's damage output.

Otherwise, this looks good.

QC 3/3

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hi
Overview
########

Inkay is a Pokemon with a very unique typing, granting it that has only two weaknesses. Inkay has a powerful niche in the form of Contrary alongside the move Superpower, which creates a snowball effect. After the use ofing Superpower, Inkay's Attack and Defense are raised, which allows it to slowly accumulate boosts. However, Inkay's low Speed holds it back greatly; needing either Trick Room or Choice Scarf to mitigate this. Its bulk is also severely lacking, and without any boosts, it fails to take many hits. Although Inkay only has two weaknesses, it also has no resistances, which gives it a lack of switch in opportunities. Inkay's movepool is also quite small, and it does not have very much to work with. Finally, it lacks recovery, meaning it is worn down quickly. Although Inkay has its faire share of flaws, it is still a fine choice for your team.

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========

Inkay has a unique niche in its ability Contrary, it also has access to the move Superpower, which is benefitted by Contrary. After one or two Superpowers, Inkay becomes quite powerful and bulky. Psycho Cut is Inkay's other STAB move and gets great coverage alongside Superpower. Switcheroo is used to steal the opponent's items; like, such as Berry Juice or Eviolite. Switcheroo also cripples some Pokemon that rely on these items as well. Night Slash gets good neutral coverage and is another STAB option for Inkay.

Set Details
========

Choice Scarf is essential to bolster Inkay's Speed; with Choice Scarf equipped, Inkay reaches 22 Speed, outspeeding the entire unboosted tier. The given Speed and Attack EVs give Inkay the maximum power and Speed possible; while 12 EVs in Defense and HP give it an extra stat boost in both of these stats. Adamant nature is a possibility, however, Inkay's damage isn't increased enough to merit use over Jolly.

Usage Tips
========

Inkay is fairly simple to use: spam Superpower to attempt to create a snowball effect to accumulate boosts. However, be careful about being locked into certain moves; being locked into Superpower leaves Inkay vulnerable to Ghost-types, while Psycho Cut leaves Inkay vulnerable to being revenge-killed by Dark-types. Although Inkay should mainly focus on setting up with Superpower, try to predict when to set up; either early game- or late -game, and if you can't find a proper time to sweep, use Switcheroo.

Team Options
========

Steel-types likesuch as Pawniard and Honedge have great synergy with Inkay because they resist Inkay's Fairy-type weakness and Inkay can revenge- kill Fighting-types in return. Pawniard, in particular, is a good partner because it can Pursuit- trap Ghost-types and allow Inkay to freely spam Superpower; it also can Knock Off Eviolites because Inkay is not very powerful. Hazards are essential to wear down potential switch-ins, thus making Dwebble a good partner. Rapid Spin or Defog support is helpful because Inkay switches often and can be worn down quickly.

Other Options
########

Rock Slide is an option for coverage; hitting Flying- and Fire-type Pokemon. Topsy-Turvy could potentially be of use, however, it is difficult to pull off and Inkay is too slow to utilize it effectively. Hypnosis gets a notable mention to cripple a Pokemon and wreak havoc, but it has shaky accuracy, thus making it unreliable. Trick Room is an alternative to Choice Scarf to mitigate Inkay's Speed issues, although it is very limited. Destiny Bond can catch something off guard as a last resort move. Payback can work well with Inkay's poor Speed, although it is a bit unreliable. Substitute has merit, as Inkay can often find room for it, although the loss of HP is a bit of a downfall. Finally, Sticky Web support can be used and allows Inkay to run Eviolite instead of Choice Scarf.

Checks &amp; Counters
########

**Bug-types**: Bug-types likesuch as Dwebble and Larvesta resist Superpower, and can effectively remove Inkay with their STAB moves; which Inkay is 4x weak to. Pokemon that carry U-turn also can take down Inkay and keep up momentum.

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types like Spritzee and Cottonee resist Superpower and have super effective STAB moves to dispose of Inkay with.

**Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon equipped with a Choice Scarf or Pokemon with naturally higher Speed can revenge- kill Inkay easily.

**Special Attackers**: Most special attackers likesuch as Misdreavus can give Inkay a hard time and can often leave it very weak, as Inkay lacks much Special Defense.

**Residual Damage**: Residual damage adds up quickly because Inkay switches often. Toxic Spikes, in particular, wears it down especially quickly.

GP 1/2

Last edited:

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
GP 2/2

Watch your semi-colons and commas.

Overview
########

Inkay is a Pokemon with a very unique typing that has only two weaknesses. Inkay has a powerful niche due to the combination of in the form of Contrary and Superpower, which creates a snowball effect: [. to :] after using Superpower, Inkay's Attack and Defense are raised, which allows it to slowly accumulate boosts. However, Inkay's low Speed holds it back greatly, [; to ,] and it needs needing either Trick Room or Choice Scarf to mitigate this. Its bulk is also severely lacking, and without any boosts, [comma] it fails to be able to take many hits. Although Inkay only has two weaknesses, it also has no resistances, which gives it a lack of switch in opportunities to switch in. Inkay's movepool is also quite small, and so it does not have very much to work with. Finally, it lacks recovery, meaning it is worn down quickly. Although Inkay has its fair share of flaws, its unique niche still makes it is still a fine choice for your team.

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========

Inkay has a unique niche in its ability Contrary, and it also has access to the move Superpower, which is benefitted by Contrary. After one or two Superpowers, Inkay becomes quite powerful and bulky. Psycho Cut is Inkay's other STAB move and gets great coverage alongside Superpower. Switcheroo is used to steal the opponent's items, such as Berry Juice or Eviolite, [comma] while also crippling Pokemon that rely on these items. Switcheroo also cripples some Pokemon that rely on these items as well. Night Slash gets good neutral coverage and is another STAB option for Inkay.

Set Details
========

Choice Scarf is essential to bolster Inkay's Speed; with Choice Scarf equipped, [comma] Inkay reaches 22 Speed, outspeeding the entire unboosted tier. The given Speed and Attack EVs give Inkay the maximum power and Speed possible, [comma] while 12 EVs in Defense and HP give it an extra stat boost in both of these stats. Adamant nature is a possibility; [, to ;] however, Inkay's damage isn't increased enough to merit its use over Jolly.

Usage Tips
========

Inkay is fairly simple to use: spam Superpower to attempt to create a snowball effect to accumulate boosts. However, be careful about being locked into certain moves; being locked into Superpower leaves Inkay vulnerable to Ghost-types, while Psycho Cut leaves Inkay vulnerable to being revenge-killed by Dark-types. Although Inkay should mainly focus on setting up with Superpower, try to predict when to set up early- or late-game, and if you can't find a proper time to sweep, use Switcheroo.

Team Options
========

Steel-types such as Pawniard and Honedge have great synergy with Inkay because they resist Inkay's Fairy-type weakness and Inkay can revenge kill Fighting-types in return. Pawniard, in particular, is a good partner, [comma] as it can Pursuit trap Ghost-types and allow Inkay to freely spam Superpower; it also can Knock Off Eviolites to help Inkay do more damage because Inkay is not very powerful. Hazards are essential to wear down potential switch-ins, thus making Dwebble a good partner. Rapid Spin or Defog support is helpful because Inkay switches often and can be worn down quickly.

Other Options
########

Rock Slide is an option for coverage, [, to ;] hitting Flying- and Fire-type Pokemon. Topsy-Turvy could potentially be of use; [, to ;] however, it is difficult to pull off, [comma] and Inkay is too slow to utilize it effectively. Hypnosis gets a notable mention to cripple a Pokemon and wreak havoc, but it has shaky accuracy, thus making it unreliable. Trick Room is an alternative to Choice Scarf to mitigate Inkay's Speed issues, although it other uses are is very limited. Destiny Bond can catch something off guard as a last resort move. Payback can work well with Inkay's poor Speed, although it is a bit unreliable. Substitute has merit, as Inkay can often find room for it, although the loss of HP is a bit of a downfall. Finally, Sticky Web support can be used and allows Inkay to run Eviolite instead of Choice Scarf.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bug-types**: Bug-types such as Dwebble and Larvesta resist Superpower, and can effectively remove Inkay with their STAB moves, [; to ,] which Inkay is 4x weak to. Pokemon that carry U-turn also can take down Inkay and keep up momentum.

**Faster Pokemon**: Pokemon equipped with a Choice Scarf or Pokemon with naturally higher Speed can revenge kill Inkay easily.

**Special Attackers**: Most special attackers such as Misdreavus can give Inkay a hard time and can often leave it very weak, as Inkay lacks much Special Defense.

**Residual Damage**: Residual damage adds up quickly because Inkay switches often. Toxic Spikes in particular wears it down especially quickly.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)