The UU Dark Horse Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Doublade is probably the strongest mon this month for DH, even stronger than Fletch. That thing checks more physical attackers than you can shake a stick at, and its typing is great. Also, Fat Lenny, congrats on 1600! Hope you can make it up to the elite class of 1750.

Also, I'm doing quite well on this challenge, but ladder ranking and which class I'm in is still a secret. It's called SUSPENSE, people.

Finally! Let me just pick up another win or two and the- aaaand I lost. Oh look, I lost again. Another loss, why not? I'm starting a collection. I ended the day finally quitting at 31-13. The hax curse is real. I ended up coming back the next day (with a few other battles to clear my mind).

Now on to my Dark Horses:

Rhyperior was very fun to use in GenIV, and still was still ok in GenV. But I think GenVI is where he hangs the towel. It's simply outclassed by Hippodowon, and to a lesser extent, Swampert. The fact that it loses to both doesn't help either. It's main use was checking phsyical fires like Darm, though it its still afraid of MixNape, Mixtini, burns from Entei and Arcanine...even physical nape wears it down with repeated CCs over time. Rock blast was also nice for taking out turn 1 Cloysters and Froslasses. I ended up running 248HP max attack Adamant, because it's still not taking Seed Flares and Scalds with heavy Special Defense investment. Max attack gets guaranteed kills on Meinshao, Victini, and Roserade with EQ. 95% of the kills Rhyperior got were from tanking a Meinshao HJK and KOing back. All in all, using Rhyperior felt like a liability, and most of the time I wished I running something else.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

Froslass was...varied. Sometimes it got layers, spread paralysis, and nabbed a tricky kill with Destiny Bond. Other times it just wasted 6 turns or so and put me 5-6 with not much to show for it.The problem with spikestacking in UU is that there's not a lot of viable ways to punish clearing hazards. If you're not running double ghost with Sableye, you're probably not going to keep the hazards on for the entire game. Nearly every team had a Mew/Crobat/Aero/Empoleon that could find at least 1 free turn to defog. Froslass still was helpful to the team, however, with the terribly annoying Taunt+Dbond combo.

Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt

Sharpedo is a Dark Horse I feel that doesn't deserve to be one. It was often times my win con lategame. Against offensive teams it wasn't uncommon for Sharpedo to turn 2-4 to 1-0. It's biggest problem was that it was completely dead weight against heavy stall. Like, completely. Alomamola and Mega Ampharos simply brushed Sharpedo off. That, along with it being very sensitive to status and hazard meant it was bad news when I saw yet another FLCL copycat team(which was often). Significant Spikes support(Froslass), along with wallbreakers( SD Guts Heracross, CM Raikou), meant that Sharpedo could put in work most of the time. Definitely a mon to consider.

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 164 Spd / 252 Atk / 92 SAtk
Naughty Nature
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Beam

Last edited:

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
View attachment 15423 View attachment 15410
Well I did it, the team went through some changes but it got the job done. I my be laddering more today but I wanted to guarantee a spot. So now I guess I'll break down my team, which was Aromatisse, Cobalion, Amoonguss, Krookodile, Ampharos, Slowbro.

Aromatisse: After using it for around 50 games, Aromatisse has almost no place in the UU meta game. It is near completely outclassed by Florges who just does its job better. Both function as special walls who help with stuff like Hydreigon. Florges takes special hits better, doesn't have
god awful speed, and its moonblast hits harder. The two things Aromatisse has going for it are that it can't be taunted which is great, and it takes physical hits
better, but neither will be likely to stay in if your full team is alive. So Aromatisse is by no means bad, its decent, but outclassed by Florges hence its lower usage.
EDIT: I'm a derp, physically defensive Aromatisse is great.

Chanel (Aromatisse) @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Aromatherapy
- Protect

Cobalion: I honestly have no idea how he's RU. He checks so many threats with a powerful STAB combo, access to support moves like thunder wave, stealth rocks, and volt switch for momentum, along with a fantastic 108 speed.
Non scarfed threats like Hydreigon and Krookodile are handily beat with a Close Combat to the face. Iron head keeps fairies away. He has great stats except a terrible special defense. Luckily Volt Switch gets him out of those situations. Justified also makes it the best offensive switch in to Umbreon, Foul Play does jack to it. Overall an awesome mon I'm glad I chose. Brobalions unite!

Brobalion (Cobalion) @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock

Amoonguss: Another amazing wall, he forms what used to be a more common core of Amoongbro, where two bulky pokes with Regenerator last entire matches with full health. This core brings rage to many eyes, because you will need some serious wallbreaking to get rid of it. I did a little bit of an unorthodox set for Amoonguss, but I thought it was great. I used Max HP and SpA, and Assault Vest to mitigate the lost SpD evs. Then you have a hard hitting tank with Regenerator, tools to stop every grass type in the tier 1v1, and hitting harder on switches. You do lose Spore, but this team isn't status or hazard reliant. Awesome poke, has suprising offensive power. And almost forgot, Clear Smog rocks against stuff like CM Suicune and Raikou

1-UP (Amoonguss) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Fire
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog

Now the other 3 pokes are much more well known but I'll give each a couple of sentences.

Krookodile: Awesome scarfer, can clean late game with strong STABs and Moxie. I don't need a scarfer faster than Darm, Victimi, or Mienshao since my team has the bulk to deal with them. Also good for electric immunity so people are wary of spamming Volt Switch.

Ampharos: It was my first time using Mega Ampharos, and I enjoyed it very much. It has great special bulk and power, along with great coverage in Thunderbolt, Dragon Pulse, and Focus Blast, and Volt Switch for momentum. If my wall is impaired or at low health, Ampharos when at full health can take most non-super effective hits and KO the pokemon.

Slowbro: The best physical wall in the tier imo, it has the tools to deal with physical walls wort nightmares such as band Victini and the like. Great typing for taking physical hits, and again Rehnerator is one of the best abilities in the game for a defensive pokemon.

Well there you go! Now this team is by no means perfect. One big weakness is Spike-stacking. While not very common, I don't have any hazard removal, so this becomes problematic. Froslass and Chesnaught were the Spikes users I saw, and both were hard to deal with. Another weakness is the lack of a fast scarfer. While I am incredibly happy with Krookodile, but I lose Slowbro, Victimi and Darm and most fire types plow through my team. A faster scarfer could scare the fire types away, but Flygon doesn't clean nearly as well as Krook does. Good luck to everyone!!!

EDIT: Hit 1600, that's as far as I care to take it. A fun ride, props to whoever created Dark Horse.

Last edited:
You'd be suprised. I've been stuck between like 1250 and 1400 for over a month despite having literally dozens of battles.
Yeah, but with ACRE your point intake actually went down with games played, so you could get literally stuck. With Elo, that can't happen (what I meant originally).

Also CSB are you gonna go for 1600?

I had to be 80-53 to break 1500. Tells you how much I got haxed (and got outplayed, but mostly hax)
Yeah the number 80-53 just tells you that I never gave up even though I thought about it sooo many times.

Grats everyone!

Alright, rather than editing my previous post, I'll post anew since I finally have my full team, and that I'm probably cutting it fine to try and make 1500 before month's end. Also time I started something for real.

View attachment 15741

Team

Hydreigon 18.40663%
Arcanine 9.98523%
Cacturne 0.50481%
Slurpuff 0.66224%
Mismagius 0.82870%
Uxie 0.46208%

Total: 30.84969

Dark Horse descriptions

Uxie: Designed to be an anti-lead against HO teams, it denies them their hazards through magic coat, sets its own, all the while being bulky enough to deal with inevitable knock off spam (looking at you azelf) or anyone leading with anything short of a fast, very powerful dark/bug type. I particularly wanted Uxie over azelf in particular for memento as a clutch to aid sweeping and/or a final effort to block an opposing sweeper. The slower U-turn is also something of note. Basically a poor man's Deo-D, but different enough to be usable.

Cacturne: I swapped a few times between water absorbing pokes until I realised I somehow managed to make my team atrociously weak to any donphan set with knock off (which should be all of them, but no accounting for some tastes as I found pre-testing). Basically designed to sweep. The thread dedicated to it explains enough of my choice, but also screw any non offensive suicune, the offensive variant of which I mercifully haven't seen...yet. Also screw scald hax.

Slurpuff: Basically, if there's no reasonably healthy steel type, full health VERY bulky water (even bulkier than slowbro), or strong priority user, I'm good to annihilate with slurpuff. Even if there is priority, smart play can bypass that issue anyways (my variant will have substitute). The ideal end game condition for my team that also serves as a major deterrent to any choice-locked hydreigons looking to drop a draco meteor, or any attack that allows me to stay within belly drum + sitrus berry.

Mismagius: Even if I bomb out of this miserably, SubSplit Mismagius has been something I've really enjoyed using and it is a major pain for quite a number of teams and pokes to deal with. Smart play with it allows it to deal with E-speed lucario, although barely. Being able to have an offensive poke that can swap into the nido's is pretty cool, while stall is in major trouble once a sub goes up, as it is a lot harder than it seems to deal with. Although it does get perfect neutral coverage, thunderbolt is needed while staraptor stays in the tier.

Those above the cut

Hydreigon: It's bulky, its scarfed, it has power and coverage as well as patching up sucker punch sweep issues. U-turn is also a nice asset. Basically another win condition and clutch resist pivot sums it up.

Arcanine: If all else fails, Sometimes its best just to blindly attack until everything falls into E-speed sweep range. Some bulk is offered to it, but I suspect I'm being daft with EV's and maybe should just look at dealing with heraboss in other ways. Intimidate and recovery are the main reasons I'm using it over entei, as a second fire resist doesn't go astray.

EV's and that to come

Edit: Hope all is good now CoolStoryBrobat

Uxie @ Red Card
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 118 Spd / 142 Def
Jolly Nature
- Magic Coat
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Memento

Mismagius @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 212 Spd / 252 Atk / 40 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb

Arcanine @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 176 Spd / 252 Atk / 80 HP
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Morning Sun
- ExtremeSpeed
- Close Combat

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Return

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, this is interesting...Congrats Patrick1088 on making it to the Hall of Fame! Unfortunately, Insomniac. he managed to take Rhyperior to a higher peak than what you had so it's now part of his Hall of Fame. Though Sage of the 6 took Aromatisse to an even higher rank than you got to for it, so it won't be listed. Not trying to belittle anybody, just wanted to clarify before I edited the OP in case someone wanted to ask why something wasn't listed for someone else. Thanks for competing!

And for the rest of you guys...Sign-Ups close Friday June 27th at 11:59 PM EST. It's a bit late in the month but the option's still available for anybody who's interested and wants to get on the boards. Once that deadline's passed, anybody who hasn't managed to get to 1500 with their dark horses yet is encouraged to hurry up and do so!

May I sign up?
My Dark Horses would be Sigilyph and Zangoose, and my others would be Galvantula, Metagross, Treveant, and Sableye.
Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Bold Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Psycho Shift
- Roost

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
- Facade
- Knock Off

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball

Trollking (Sableye) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Foul Play

Metagross @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Hammer Arm

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 SDef / 136 HP / 120 Atk
Careful Nature
- Horn Leech
- Shadow Claw
- Leech Seed
- Protect

CoolStoryBrobat

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
May I sign up?
My Dark Horses would be Sigilyph and Zangoose, and my others would be Galvantula, Metagross, Treveant, and Sableye.
Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Bold Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Psycho Shift
- Roost

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
- Facade
- Knock Off

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball

Trollking (Sableye) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Foul Play

Metagross @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Hammer Arm

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 SDef / 136 HP / 120 Atk
Careful Nature
- Horn Leech
- Shadow Claw
- Leech Seed
- Protect
Yes, you may sign up. Your team's within the usage % requirements

Well I'm out. I apologize for wasting your time brobat, my entry was bad and I should feel bad.

I could not have made a worse entry if I tried. No toxic absorption, no T-wave absorption, no knock off absorption, nothing. I'm amazed the team even got to 1443 at best, but blowing too many games in a row(I think about 1/2 dozen) + torn-t imminent + only one night left to ladder has left me pissed off and frustrated.

Slurpuff was a poor idea with all the priority running around. It did do some work, but against a decent team, it would not stand a chance.

Cacturne...did its job when suicune or slowbro were present, but that was it. My prediction was too poor to utilize effectively, and when I did, it got felled by poor choices made against competent opponents.

Uxie...was okay. It did its job as I intended, the problem was whenever I encountered any opponent twice, they were too smart to fall for the one-trick pony set. Otherwise, it did its job well against sash leads. Also problematic were anyone who realised PP of magic coat < PP of stealth rock.

Mismagius was the only mon I was overall pleased with. A number of times it got to set up its subsplit shenanigans enough to weaken walls for sweeping, or just flat out annoy people. In hindsight, I should've switch T-bolt back to dazzling gleam once staraptor got booted out though, and there were times where the lack of bulk made things difficult...

Maybe I'll do better next month when we can use the new drops, and probably once Tornadus-T cops the boot again. I actually feel really embarrassed for making such an entry that I deluded myself into thinking was good, but was pure shit once I passed the initial noob wave on the ladder.

Full credit to the project itself though. Its a serious challenge and I copped it for underestimating it.

CoolStoryBrobat

Hey Silenced I respect your honesty and effort you put in, and hopefully next month is more favorable for you. To anyone else who hasn't posted their ladder ranking yet you have until 11:59 PM tonight EST to do so

Yeah, I pretty much gave up on my team to after I realised 2 of my Dark Horses were incredibly weak to bulky waters and I had no way of properly dealing with them. And Rhyperior was just underwhelming. I will probably put in more effort next time around and get better at team building lol

I have reached 1500, will add screenshot once I can.

I used Froslass, Dugtrio and Emboar (aka STRONG BACON) and they were cool peoples. Anyway, I won't be able to participate in next month, so I wish everyone great luck, and I'll see you guys again in August!

Last edited:
Patiently waiting for June stats. I gave up with my offensive Trick Room team after two weeks, but I still might use it in regular battles from time to time because it was quite fun to use. Escav and Reuniclus OP :3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)