Sponge [XY OU]

Sponge

Hello, welcome to my first RMT. I made this team a month or two ago as yet another test, and after having played with it to much success I've grown quite attached to it and have used it as more of a "main" team than others I've come up with. So I'm bringing it here to see how I can make it better.

No teambuilding process here yet

AT A GLANCE

It's called Sponge because it's fairly bulky.

Suicune @

Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

The classic CroCune from Gen III, slightly revamped to modern advancements to better fit the metagame and changes. The EVs give it respectable physical bulk, allowing it to switch in on a threat such as Talonflame and set up CMs. When he's taken his fill of damage, he can throw up a Rest followed by two Sleep Talks to try and net either damage or more boosts. When boosted well enough or in presence of a physical threat, Scald works well to dispatch or cripple opponents.

Synergy:
Venusaur, Garchomp
Venusaur, Aegislash, Togekiss

Venusaur @

Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SAtk / 56 Spe
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spe
Modest nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power
- Synthesis

Mega Venusaur, an effective offensive power with great healing capability. The speed EVs are set to outspeed Crawdaunt and Rotom-W. This set includes HP Fire as a means of dealing with Ferrothorn, something that the rest of the team can have trouble taking out. Giga Drain is used over a more powerful alternative like Energy Ball due to its extra healing. Synthesis is just a solid means of restoration in the case that Giga Drain would not help. Mega Evolution doesn't need to happen immediately either, as it can abuse Sun that the opponent might set up and take advantage of Chlorophyll before gaining the Fire neutrality.

Synergy:
Aegislash
Umbreon, Aegislash
[non-Mega] Suicune, Garchomp
[non-Mega] Suicune, Aegislash

Umbreon @

Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful nature
- Foul Play
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

The support on which the team lies and a fantastic special wall. Umbreon sponges special hits like Quiver Dance wasn't a thing. Foul Play 2HKOs Landorus-T, as well as deals nice damage for when bulk is all that is needed. Wish is good for putting the rest of the team back into usage after heavy damage, and usage in conjunction with Protect is his own source of recovery. Heal Bell is to remove any status that might have crippled something and to give Umbreon the advantage after Synchronize activates.

Synergy:
Venusaur, Aegislash, Togekiss
Venusaur, Aegislash
Aegislash, Togekiss

Aegislash @

Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SAtk
Quiet nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield
- Sacred Sword

The wallbreaker of the team and source of mindgames. Mixed Aegislash allows both sides of the defensive spectrum to fear it, as well as to circumvent Burn and defensive setups (CM, Bulk Up, Quiver Dance). Leftovers is the only reliable recovery he has, but I'm considering a Weakness Policy instead.

Synergy:
Umbreon
Umbreon, Togekiss
Suicune, Garchomp

Togekiss
@

Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 76 SDef / 44 Spe
Bold nature
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot

The lead of the team and an annoying one at that. T-Wave cripples well and nearly guarantees an outspeed in following turns. One Nasty Plot can make Air Slash deadlier than it already is, leaving the opponent unable to attack and taking heavy damage at the same time. The speed EVs are there to outspeed base 85s such as Cresselia, but the defensive EVs were originally to survive a CB Iron Head from Genesect while avoiding the Download boost, so those are subject to change.

Synergy:
Venusaur, Garchomp
Suicune, Aegislash
Aegislash, Garchomp
Aegislash, Garchomp
Suicune, Aegislash

Garchomp
@

Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Swords Dance

With a Mega already in line, Garchomp has to settle for a different set. This one catches many in surprise, as Substitute is used on a WoW turn or to block an attack and scout. The Lum Berry provides a free clear from Outrage confusion, as well as invalidating a wild burn that might hit him. Rotom-W is the main threat in mind when using this set, as the burn is dealt with while Outrage 2HKOs (OHKOs at +2). If A potent physical attacker too, as the only pure one on the team.

Synergy:
Aegislash, Togekiss
Venusaur, Aegislash
Suicune, Aegislash

Suicune (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold nature
Shiny: Yes
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Venusaur (Venusaur) @ Venusaurite
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SAtk / 56 Spe
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spe
Modest nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power
- Synthesis

Umbreon (Umbreon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful nature
- Foul Play
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Aegislash (Aegislash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SAtk
Quiet nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield
- Sacred Sword

Togekiss (Togekiss) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 76 SDef / 44 Spe
Bold nature
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot

Garchomp (Garchomp) @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Swords Dance

First of all it's a great team you got here solid EV spreads and synergy but you need to look at the bigger picture.
1. Set up sweepers, this is a big issue for your team, let do volcarona because you said something about sponging quiver dance, smart players take a maximum of 26.2% which they can heal off with gig drain and from there on its a massacre. Other things like mega char x can ruin you as well if they can play around kings shield, I advice toxic on umbreon and move heal bell to togekiss.
2. Hazards, trust me when I say you need stealth rocks, it's priceless on any team buy punishing your opponent when switching, you also need a move like Defog or rapid spin to control it if a deo lands sr and a few layers of spikes.
3. What's your win condition? You don't have a sweeper at all except for maybe togekiss, I think it's better for you to go through a more stall team by removing gat chomp and adding a Heatran for FWG cores.
gl

First off, I love how you wrote the team down. It looks very cool and well presented. It also has a lot of blowing power (don't pay attention to the guy above.) He's right with the Hazards, but that's it. Your team has sweepers and good bulky powers. The first thing I would do is changing the set of garchomp to a rocky helmet - stealth rock set. It provides even more bulky control and let's you set up hazards (what do you want more?). I would change up Togekiss's set, but that's just personal preference.

So, the sets that are worth testing are..

Bulky Hazard Control

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Evs: 248 HP / 68 SpA / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave / Dazzling Gleam
- Defog
- Roost

I personally would go for this togekiss because it'll give you control of the hazards and makes your team even harder to beat.

Secondly, I would try out this Garchomp set over yours. Another thing I've noticed is, that you are using a lot of setup sweepers.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast

This is a fairly solid Wallbreaker and Stealth Rock setter. It can also provide as a Rocky Helmet Blocker and is just fairly better for this team.

Your Mega Venusaur is also too offensive if you ask me. I would personally make it more bulky and change it's set a bit.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Toxic > Heal Bell on Umbreon.

Anyway, this is a very solid and effective team and I've been using it for quite a while and it's providing great success. The only pokemon you really have to be careful of are Talonflame and Mega Pinsir. They're very annoying.

Last edited:
Tiny thing, but Calm and 0 Atk IVs on Umberon is situationally be better than Careful. You aren't using your Attack stat at all thanks to Foul Play, so you might as well lower opposing Foul Play and possible confusion damage to the absolute minimum to let it live longer overall. The same goes for Venusaur; you can drop the Attack IV down to 0 and still keep the Hidden Power Fire. Thank Arceus it's all the same base power now.

I'm also with changing Garchomp to a Stealth Rock set, since that hazard is so incredibly valuable. I wouldn't do Defog Togekiss with it though, since Rocky Helmet SR Garchomp tends not to last long in my experience, and you don't want to blow away your own hazards when your setter is down. Your Umberon has Wish support, though, so the decision there is yours. That NP Togekiss you have right now is nasty to face though, and worth keeping.

Minor things, but I hope I helped! It looks like a great, and really fun to use team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)