Resource XY NU Viability Ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will like to nominate my bird Swellow for B+ over B rank.
When one thinks of flying spam in this tier, swellow comes to mind. Its true potential has always been in its ability in guts, as with it and stab facade and brave bird it can easily clean weakened teams as it is one of the fastest in the tier sitting at base 125 speed. Yes I know it is walled to hell and back by rock types and steels and can be easily weakened down by toxic orb. It is also quite frail for a late game cleaner and requires team support to be a true menace. Still, once rocks and steels are gone, there is very little that can stop swellow from sweeping. Overall, i feel swellow is albeit underrated as it can grab momentum for the team and there are less resists to its stabs in the tier.

Last edited:
Vileplume deserves to be at least B+. It's such a useful physical wall with that checks A ranked pokemon like Feraligatr, Shiftry, Sawk, Rhydon, Seismatoad, Samurott and Gurdurr (7 out of the 12 pokemon with A- or higher rank). It can sleep things or be a cleric and has reliable recovery, along with a great ability. Solid defenses on both sides of spectrum, a useable typing and effective 110 special attack stat.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Malamar down from C- to D:
Does nothing ever =///////
Apparently Ras hasn't heard of the mighty ChestoRest Malamar, which pretty much tears bulky offense a new asshole.

So first off, where the hell is Simipour? Second off, I feel Ludicolo in B doesn't do it justice, compared to the A+ monster that it was in Gen 5. Looking at the threats in A Rank (and B+), Ludi can still destroy the good majority of them under Rain, which it can easily find time for by pissing the pants of the likes of Seismitoad, Rhydon, and Gorebyss, while even making for a great Gatr check. Fact of the matter is Rain boosted Water attacks, alongside Grass STAB and Ice Beam, are still insanely hard to wall. I get that its best attack got slightly nerfed, and newcomers like Freeze Dry Cryo, Dragalge, and Fletchinder don't take kindly to it, but to see it drop from A+ to B is just a bit much. Not only is Ludi a fearsome sweeper, but a SpD spread checks special Water-types marvelously, as well as annoy with Scald + Leech Seed. Ludi is still A worthy imo, if not A-.

Last edited:
Vullaby -> A-

Seriously, this thing is criminally underrated and very very good. This thing walls about 80% of the physical tier, including some of the most dangerous threats out there. Opposing walls get Taunted. Free turns? Free Defog. Feraligatr is no threat to my team because I run Vullaby. Sawk? Vullaby. Sceptile? Vullaby. Spiritomb...lol.

Here's a replay of it in action (skip to turn 14 for when Vullaby comes in). This is just the most recent one I had.

Here are some calcs to show how utterly ridiculous Vullaby's defenses actually are:

252+ Atk Life Orb Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Vullaby: 117-140 (34 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Vullaby: 181-214 (52.6 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Vullaby: 151-179 (43.8 - 52%) -- 11.3% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sceptile Hidden Power Rock vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Vullaby: 140-166 (40.6 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Vullaby: 104-123 (30.2 - 35.7%) -- 36.6% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Vullaby: 109-129 (31.6 - 37.5%) -- 89% chance to 3HKO

That last one should really draw your attention - it really is that good, even uninvested. I can have a physical wall that also beats Sigilyph.

Can I even overstate how huge that is?

Sure, Knock Off is a thing. But the thing is, it resists Knock Off, so if the opponent uses it, they've still given it free turns to Defog and wreak havoc with Foul Play - which by its nature hits very hard even without investment. Despite being a defensive mon, it usually takes out one mon a game, if not more.

Vullaby -> A-

Seriously, this thing is criminally underrated and very very good. This thing walls about 80% of the physical tier, including some of the most dangerous threats out there. Opposing walls get Taunted. Free turns? Free Defog. Feraligatr is no threat to my team because I run Vullaby. Sawk? Vullaby. Sceptile? Vullaby. Spiritomb...lol.

Here's a replay of it in action (skip to turn 14 for when Vullaby comes in). This is just the most recent one I had.

Here are some calcs to show how utterly ridiculous Vullaby's defenses actually are:

252+ Atk Life Orb Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Vullaby: 117-140 (34 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Vullaby: 181-214 (52.6 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Vullaby: 151-179 (43.8 - 52%) -- 11.3% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sceptile Hidden Power Rock vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Vullaby: 140-166 (40.6 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Sceptile Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Vullaby: 104-123 (30.2 - 35.7%) -- 36.6% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Vullaby: 109-129 (31.6 - 37.5%) -- 89% chance to 3HKO

That last one should really draw your attention - it really is that good, even uninvested. I can have a physical wall that also beats Sigilyph.

Can I even overstate how huge that is?

Sure, Knock Off is a thing. But the thing is, it resists Knock Off, so if the opponent uses it, they've still given it free turns to Defog and wreak havoc with Foul Play - which by its nature hits very hard even without investment. Despite being a defensive mon, it usually takes out one mon a game, if not more.
Except for when Ferligatr SDs on your switch and +2 252+ Atk Life Orb Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Vullaby: 234-276 (68 - 80.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock, or let's you just switch in on an Ice Punch, you're going to have to roost eventually and he could SD then. I also don't think an eviolite poke that is neutral to Close Combat is a very good check to Sawk, 252 Atk Sawk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vullaby: 165-195 (47.9 - 56.6%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO once his eviolite is gone. Also, 252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Vullaby: 205-244 (59.5 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO, 252 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Vullaby: 130-153 (37.7 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO. Not really beating Sigilyph, and the Cosmic Power set uses Vullaby for set up fodder. I'm sure it's a pretty solid poke, but it can be set up on and definitely not an A- imo.

I think Crustle should go to B+, as outside of Qwilfish and Accelgor is the only other viable Spikes Setter, but is also the only one that also has access to stealth rocks. It also can shock people with the shell smash [lol ras rekt me in that one minitour with it lel] to gain a clean. Massive Bulk in 70 / 125 means that it can set up multiple layers without going down, and overall I feel that B+ is the very least to justify its reliability atm. Also gets Knock Off which we all know is baller.
Literally every single one of the traits you just listed are also true of Omastar. It gets Stealth Rock, it gets Shell Smash (and makes better use of it due to a higher (special) attack stat and higher speed), and its defenses are almost exactly identical. It gets Knock Off as well. I can attest to Omastar being a very effective hazard setter.

Now, Qwilfish, Accelgor and Crustle are the only viable spikes setters? No way. Omastar, Cacturne, and Roselia are all very effective Spikes setters, and each have their own benefits. For instance, Roselia's typing allows it to check most Grasses, Waters, and Electrics in the tier, taking special hits like nobody's business (while a physically defensive spread is also quite viable). We have a bunch of viable Spikes setters. Ferroseed, Garbodor, Hell, even Bunnelby is reasonably effective. I'm not saying Crustle is bad; I'm saying it has competition.

Reactions: g

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I mentioned this on IRC Zeb, but I am nominationg Klinklang to go from C- --> at least B.

While it does have limited coverage, I'm actually fairly certain that Wild Charge + Gear Grind hits everything but Seismitoad, Steelix and Magneton for neutral damage, and it can set up a Sub on far more physically defensive mons than one would think. After one turn it can easily destroy purely offensive teams, which isn't that hard to obtain because mono steel typing is amazing. It really just doesn't belong in the same ranking as shit like Simisear, Simisage, Kingler, Altaria, and Dodrio.

edit: and lanturn resists it too, thanks Aladyyn

Last edited:

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hi, I just updated the thread. The following is a changelog of everything that was updated.
Combusken from unlisted to B
Roselia from unlisted to C+
Magneton from unlisted to A-
Misdreavus from unlisted to D
Flareon from unlisted to C
Fraxure from unlisted to C
Frogadier from unlisted to C
Kadabra from unlisted to C
Piloswine from unlisted to C+
Quilladin from unlisted to C-
Dragonair from unlisted to C-
Zweilous from unlisted to C
Duosion from unlisted to D
Electabuzz from unlisted to D
Sliggoo from unlisted to D
Poliwrath from C to B
Hariyama from C to B
Rotom from B to B+
Articuno from C to C+
Golem from B- to B
Primeape from C to B-
Ditto from C to B
Vileplume from B to A
Accelgor from B to A-
Omastar from B to B+
Ferroseed from unlisted to B-
Sceptile from B+ to A
Granbull from C+ to B
Fletchinder from B to B-
Masquerain from unlisted to C
Spiritomb from A to A+
Gourgeist-S from C- to C+
I will be looking over the posts from my last one to now, and will make another post shortly. Hopefully the tiers look a little better now. x) As always, if you wish to debate any of these changes, go right ahead!

Additionally, there is now a link to the most recent update in the OP. In the future, D Rank will probably be split into D+, D, and D-, though for now we will keep it as D.

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Agree to move Ludicolo to at least A- if not A. This thing under rain is an absolute terror, and with its ok bulk and great coverage to scare off pokes, it's not too difficult to set up a rain dance. Sure, the pink blobs can take a hit, but they are not too popular this gen to my knowledge. Its special defensive set is also a ery underrated threat this gen, with its ability to pass of burns and leech seed to pokes that think they can take a hit from the offensive threat. For special defensive toad, make sure you run enough speed and SpA to outspeed and kill specially defensive toad, dont want to be toxiced or knock offed. I would place ludicolo in A- just because ice beam cannot OHKO sigilyph, which is annoying, and sigilyph can ko back with air slash.

Klinklang has not been a problem to set up. Yeah, its stab moves are not too impressive and not strong until 2 boosts, but it can behind a sub against alot of pokes and set up not too difficultly. Sure, alot of the top tier pokes like seismitoad, feraligatr, sawk rhydon, magenton etc aren't scared by Klinklang (unless wildcharge for the gatr), but I would say at least B-/C+ is more appropriate.

Scyther--> B+. Man this poke is so deadly. This and Magneton may be 2 of the strongest momentum obtaining pokes in the tier, as scyther can scare alot of stuff off with a choice band technitian bug bite/aerial ace/knock off/ even quick attack, while having a strong u-turn, without worrying about being outspeed or immune (barring shedinja) like magneton. An eviolite set with swords dance can work equally well. Has a strong knock off with choice band that has a great chance to OHKO (with jolly, which is the ideal nature to run). Has a great speed tier as well. Obviously the rocks hurt it alot, which would put it in a slightly lower tier than magneton, but this might be the most underrated threat in NU right now.

Finally, it is a disgrace to these balls of poisonous gas that Weezing is C-. I would put at least in B-/B. This this got a huge buff in toxic spikes, and imo, is, with Qwilfish, the 2 best toxic spike setters in the tier. Weezing has the advantage and disadvantage over qwilfish with levitate, which lets it avoid ground moves, but not able to absorb opponent's toxic spikes, which is a little annoying but I don't think toxic spikes are that big of a threat anyways. Obviously weezing is still the excellent physical wall that it is, and can handle top tier threats feraligatr, shiftry, archeops, sceptile, gurdurr(somewhat), and non moldbreaker sawk with eartquake with thunderbolt, sludge bomb, will-o-wisp, clear smog or pain split. Qwilfish is still imo a more reliable and better poke overall, but weezing does not have to worry about electric or grass moves ohko as badly as weezing. I don't think the dropoff between qwilfish and weezing so be so large.

Last edited:
Literally every single one of the traits you just listed are also true of Omastar. It gets Stealth Rock, it gets Shell Smash (and makes better use of it due to a higher (special) attack stat and higher speed), and its defenses are almost exactly identical. It gets Knock Off as well. I can attest to Omastar being a very effective hazard setter.

Now, Qwilfish, Accelgor and Crustle are the only viable spikes setters? No way. Omastar, Cacturne, and Roselia are all very effective Spikes setters, and each have their own benefits. For instance, Roselia's typing allows it to check most Grasses, Waters, and Electrics in the tier, taking special hits like nobody's business (while a physically defensive spread is also quite viable). We have a bunch of viable Spikes setters. Ferroseed, Garbodor, Hell, even Bunnelby is reasonably effective. I'm not saying Crustle is bad; I'm saying it has competition.
Rose sucks this gen because of Knock Off as well as the introduction of more powerful physical attackers. I will agree though that Garb and Ferro are rather effective. Cacturne isn't bad by any means, but it is outshadowed by any other spikers listed since they can stack them far more effectively. And Omastar has better shit to do with its time.

I wouldn't dismiss these mons so quickly. Omastar is quite effective if you need (Toxic) Spikes and Rocks on the same set, and a defensive setter also serves as a good check to Normal- and Flying-types like Swellow, Archeops, and Fletchinder. Roselia still has plenty of utility in switching into and spiking on threats such as (depending on spread–I think a physically defensive spread is the most viable) special Sceptile, Rotom, Lanturn, Poliwrath, Omastar, Gorebyss, Vileplume, Granbull, etc. It offers tons of utility in Spikes, Sleep Powder and Aromatherapy. Immunity to powder moves and Toxic is fantastic, while access to Sleep Powder and Spikes on the same set improved it this gen (so yes, the Knock Off buff hurts, but it doesn't mean Roselia is useless).

Edit: Also destroys fucking Lilligant because it is immune to sleep powder.

Last edited:
First off, why are Simisear and Simisage ranked, but not Simipour? They're literally the same pokemon with different STAB, so I don't see why pour would be any worse than the other two.

Uxie to B+/A-.
Uxie is probably the most reliable hazard setter in the tier that isn't complete dead weight after setting them. It can be a very functional wall in the tier right now if you keep it away from Shiftry. It can Dual Screen, U-Turn, Magic coat hazards away, and even go full stall with SubToxic. Very effective wall, only really held back by the popularity of Shiftry,

Also I'm seconding Klingklang to move up, but not to B like was said before. His average moveset is really easy to predict and wall, with relatively common stuff like Magneton and Seismitoad taking a shit on it. I'd say C+/B- would be much more reasonable for it.

Bouffalant for B- / B
seriously why is this thing at C? its way to easy to grab a sap sipper boost in the current tier with all the good grass pokes and after that you can wreck shit with super powerful Head charges and its phendora of coverage moves. If you're not into sap sipper, I can promise that Banded Reckless STAB head charge coming of a solid 110 base atk can and will hurt. You know what more it has? 95/95/95 bulk, which is pretty good for a bulky attacker. in practical use it is a tauros with less speed, greater bulk and way cooler hair.

Might add some calcs or simular on a later note.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Rose sucks this gen because of Knock Off as well as the introduction of more powerful physical attackers. I will agree though that Garb and Ferro are rather effective. Cacturne isn't bad by any means, but it is outshadowed by any other spikers listed since they can stack them far more effectively. And Omastar has better shit to do with its time.
Sash Lead Omastar is arguably superior to Shell Smash lol. It can easily set up both Stealth Rock and Spikes with the help of Focus Sash and Weak Armor (giving it more Speed if your opponent thinks hes safe by leading with Sawk). It can also somewhat prevent your opponent from setting up its own hazards thanks to STAB Scald/Hydro Pump and Ice Beam/Icy Wind. It only has problems with Cryogonal (unless you are real and run Stone Edge) and defoggers such as Pelipper and Mantine, but hey thats what teammates are for :pirate:.

Reactions: g
I'm seconding Swellow to B+. It has one of the best speed tiers in the tier, at 125, and while 85 attack may not seem like much, it's super-boosted by Guts and Facade. I find it to be one of the best cleaners in the tier. It even has some priority in Quick Attack (albeit it isn't very strong). I find it to be like a slightly worse version of Zangoose, except it trades some power for speed. However, that's not all you can do with Swellow. If you feel like being a hipster, you can always run Specs Swellow with Boomburst. Sure, a 50 base Special Attack stat may not seem like much, but it's firing off a base 210 Boomburst with specs, so it deters it slightly. Swellow is forced to run Modest, though. Specs also allows it to get past the tier's many rock types that wall it, or is able to at least KO them, after a bit of prior damage.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Swellow Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 300-356 (72.4 - 85.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Swellow is walled by steel and rock types if its using Guts, and it's walled by Steel types if using Specs, albeit Swellow doesn't hit as hard. Still, it's blistering speed and incredibly damage output are what I believe should let it move up to B+.

Last edited:
Sash Lead Omastar is arguably superior to Shell Smash lol. It can easily set up both Stealth Rock and Spikes with the help of Focus Sash and Weak Armor (giving it more Speed if your opponent thinks hes safe by leading with Sawk). It can also somewhat prevent your opponent from setting up its own hazards thanks to STAB Scald/Hydro Pump and Ice Beam/Icy Wind. It only has problems with Cryogonal (unless you are real and run Stone Edge) and defoggers such as Pelipper and Mantine, but hey thats what teammates are for :pirate:.
1 Man Army > Teammate what is 6 pokemon who needs team

Alright I'm convinced to try this set now. I just feel that pokemon such as Crustle who can put down multiple layers far outclass it, and if I need a offensive sash lead I look for Accelgor. However, I see the PoV now ^.^ Ty SGayzer

I see a few odd things, but for the most part it looks pretty good so far. Hopefully this isn't stuff everyone said on page 1 or 2 or soemthing like that.That being said,

Sandslash up to B rank

Sandslash is one of the best spinners in the tier right now. With great physical bulk, the ability to hit up most spinblocking ghosts supereffectively with a knock off, a solid support move in stealth rock, and a notable niche in sand sweeping with a Sand Rush set, this pokemon really doesn't deserve to be C rank. With 100 base attack and 110 base defense, it can both eat up physical hits and retaliate with stab Earthquakes. This combination of offensive power, team support, and physical bulk makes Sandslash a good pokemon to consider for a team when you want a spinner/defogger, and I believe this warrants a higher ranking then what it has now. It really doesn't belong all the way down there.

Weezing up to B- rank

Why is this all the way down in C- rank? Weezing is a great physical wall, able to deal with common fighting and ground attacks, able to stop set-up sweepers with moves like Haze and Clear Smog, damage steel types trying to get free switches with flamethrower/fire blast, recovering hp with pain split and black sludge, support the team with toxic spikes, and burn physical threats with will-o-wisp. It shuts down a lot of notable pokemon, isuch as Hariyama and Primeape, while also whittling them down with sludge bomb, will-o-wisp and pain split. Want a good check to Sawk and counter to most fighting types in the tier, a solid physical wall, or just a good pokemon toxic spikes support? This is a Pokemon that can fit those roles easily. Lack of reliable recovery does hurt it, but it's still a very solid pokemon that can cause a lot of issues for your opponent.

Carracosta up to B+ rank

Looking down and seeing this down below Barbaracle is just disappointing to say the least. I would say that this pokemon is infinitely more threatening then it's fellow water/rock smashers, especially Barb. While it is slower, and therfore can be dealt with by scarfers, you'd think, that really isn't the quite the case. Unlike Barb, this pokemon learns Aqua Jet, giving it a solid STAB priority move. Add in a 2 solid(heh) abilities in Sturdy and Solid Rock, making it fear supereffective moves much less. These two abillities also allow it to carry weakness policy, giving it a possible +4 attack/special attack stat. Trying to revenge this thing with your scarf primeape?
+4 252 Atk Carracosta Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Primeape: 261-307 (95.9 - 112.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Raichu?
+4 252 Atk Carracosta Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Raichu: 279-328 (106.4 - 125.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Typhlosion?
+4 252 Atk Carracosta Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Typhlosion: 422-500 (141.6 - 167.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As you can see, quite a few common scarfers can be killed by priority aqua jet easily, if you can get it pulled off, which isn't very difficult to do with the amount of weaknesses Carracosta has. At +2 Speed Carra can also outspeed most of the tier, beating out timid/jolly nonscarfed base 110s. It can do massive damage with STAB Waterfall, Stone Edge, or Rock Slide, as well as carry decent coverage moves if you prefer, such as knock off and earthquake. With a okay special attack stat of 86, you can also run mixed or special varients to lure in physical walls. It's third ability, Swift Swim, is also useful, and gives it the potential to basically kill everything on rain teams, though it's by far the worst of the 3.

While Carracosta does have some notable flaws, such as needing hazards cleared from it's side for the sturdy varient to work, liking rocks on the opponent's side, and being unable to do much to Seismitoad or Poliwrath typically like it's fellow smasher Barbaracle, it's still an immensely threatening pokemon, and I feel it's just as big of a threat as it's water/rock shell smashing brethren.

Simisage down to D rank

Simisage is pretty worthless, with a lacking movepool, and little niche. You're much better off using a pokemon like Lilligant, Shiftry, Cacturne, Serperior etc for your grass set-up sweeper.

Simipour up to C rank

Easily the best of the Simi trio, and the one with the biggest, most worthwhile niche. Not much really competes with it as a special water sweeper, and Omastar is quite a bit different than this monkey. With both Sub Nasty Plot and 3 attacks Nasty Plot as viable sets, this pokemon simply sets up nasty plot, perhaps tries to trigger a salac berry to outspeed certain scarfers and/or hit torrent range. While it is fragile, it has a decent amount of power and speed, and water/grass/ice coverage that hits everything neutrally, I believe. Also, it has a viable mixed set and even such gimmicks as endeavor. All in all it's still a solid, good pokemon, and not something you should ever underestimate.

Aurorus up to C- rank

Whenever I fight this thing, I am immediately surprised by how strong it is. Even scarfed, a 1.3x STAB tri attack hurts. Add in that it can't be sucker punched, and it starts to get scary. With Rock Polish, it can attempt to sweep, and it can go both physical and special with options like Toxic Orb Facade. It quite honestly hits like a truck.

252+ Atk Refrigerate Aurorus Facade (140 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Sawk: 292-345 (100 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Refrigerate Aurorus Facade (140 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Magneton: 120-142 (49.5 - 58.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

It still has lots of flaws, being easily revenged and dealt with by pokemon like Hariyama and Gurdurr, and having an SR weakness and no good special rock STAB. That being said, underestimating how strong this pokemon is can lead to you getting destroyed by it.

Dusknoir down to E rank

This pokemon lol, is so incredibly bad, that even D rank isn't low enough for it. It has nothing that really should draw you to it. Want a powerful physical ghost type? Then use the stronger, better Golurk, or the bulky, strong and versatile threat that is Spiritomb. Want a pokemon that tanks hits, burns stuff, and perhaps uses Pain Split? Then use Gourgeist, Spiritomb, bulky Rotom, or even it's almost as bad pre-evolution, Dusclops. Even it's Trick Room setting abillity is outclassed by Gourgeist. There is literally no reason to use this horrible waste of a team slot, or it's pre-evolution, but at least Dusclops is better than this horrid mon. Seeing this next to at least passable mons such as Lopunny, Stunfisk, Rapidash and Rampardos is just wrong.

Steelix up to B- rank, or at least C+

While Steelix does have it flaws, such as a lack of recovery and pitiful special defense, it's still a very solid pokemon, and fits well on many teams, especially those with an Audino or Lickilicky to support it with wish, but it doesn't need that to function well. Steelix is a great physical wall, sporting 200 physical defense, the great defensive typing of steel, and having good support moves such as Stealth Rock and Roar, while also managing to have 2 great abillities in Sturdy and Sheer Force, a threatening presence with sheer force boosted iron heads and STAB Earthquakes, and the abillity to switch into a lot of physical attackers. Having trouble with Swellow? Maybe Granbull? Or Kangaskhan? How about Armaldo? Perhaps Regirock? This pokemon can come in and either force them out and punish what comes in with one of it's STABs, force out the oncoming switch-in with roar, or just hit those pokemon with an powerful attack. Never underestimate how good Steelix is at eating up physical hits.

Regirock up to B- rank

Regirock is a godly tank in the NU tier, with 200 physical defense, 100 special defense, and 80 hp, defensive stats most pokemon can only dream of. Furthermore, it also has 100 attack to pound things with STAB stone edges, as well as earthquakes, drain punches, fire punches, thunderpunches, and ice punches, as well as possiblly paralyzing them with T-wave and providing Stealth Rock support to a team. With two good sets in AV tank and Lefties support, it can provide your team with a bulky and powerful pokemon that can deal with a lot of NU's threats. Assault Vest Regi can eats hits for days on both sides, while hitting hard with moves like Earthquake and Stone Edge, and recovering hp with drain punch. Even uninvested, 200 physical defense eats physical hits up. Certain Regirocks can even live Banded Sawk's Close Combat. Regirock is also a decent mon to carry on sand teams, as it can both set sand, and profits from the special defense boost. It's also a nice pokemon on sun teams, if you want a pokemon that can set weather multiple times as well as set rocks, having a niche over it's rock/ground type competition in Golem, who is typically knocked down to sturdy from one hit and killed in 2, and who also has a lot less bulk than Regirock.

I think that's good. For now, at least.

• B- Rank ----> B Rank
Lickilicky is a lot better than people give it credit for. It has an incredible support movepool and large bulk. It also has a normal typing and, with specialized EV Spreads can take on a lot of threats. It can even invest more into Physical bulk to live other hits, but I prefer running it Specially Defensively. It's very bulky and deserves to be bumped up a rank imo.
  • Unranked ----> C+ / B- Rank
Simipour is the best of the Simi trio, yet it is unranked while the others all get ranked? That's just not right. Simipour is very threatening with a Nasty Plot sets that can break through a lot of the tier's bulkiest Pokemon:
  • +2 252 SpA Life Orb Simipour Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Spiritomb: 263-309 (86.5 - 101.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • +2 252 SpA Life Orb Simipour Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Vileplume: 322-382 (90.9 - 107.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • +2 252 SpA Life Orb Simipour Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dragalge: 263-309 (78.7 - 92.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • +2 252 SpA Life Orb Simipour Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 304-359 (74.1 - 87.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • +2 252 SpA Life Orb Simipour Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Granbull: 253-298 (65.8 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (obviously it won't run 252 / 252+, but this is the bulkiest it can get.)
  • +2 252 SpA Life Orb Simipour Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 253-298 (51.4 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • +2 252 SpA Life Orb Simipour Hydro Pump vs. 40 HP / 216+ SpD Lanturn: 170-200 (42.3 - 49.8%) -- 32.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • +2 252 SpA Life Orb Simipour Focus Blast vs. 40 HP / 216+ SpD Lanturn: 248-292 (61.8 - 72.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • +2 252 SpA Life Orb Simipour Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Uxie: 231-273 (65.2 - 77.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • +2 252 SpA Life Orb Simipour Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 296-351 (101.3 - 120.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Obviously a wall of calcs proves absolutely nothing, but this just shows what it can break down. It is very powerful after a Nasty Plot with a STAB Hydro Pump. But, therein lies the problem: Nasty Plot. It lacks any bulk to set up and can't fit all the moves it needs to. A Choice Specs set is viable, so there's that, but it just can't fit Grass Knot, Hydro Pump, Substitute, Ice Beam, Nasty Plot, Focus Blast, and Taunt all on the same moveset. It does have a large movepool going for it though, so there's that. I've been really impressed by it thus far!

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Qwilfish to B+ / possibly A-

Spikes are really strong rn and Qwilfish is arguably the best user of them on more balanced / bulky offense builds. Water / Poison typing + Intimidate is really neat for checking a bunch of physical attackers (Gatr in particular) and it has a lot of good support options like Taunt, Twave, and even weirder stuff like DBond which you can fool around with to suit your team's needs and keep your opponent on their toes. Plus it's not limited to just defensive sets--Sash lead with Taunt + dual hazards + Boom is also quite good (though it faces competition with Accelgor) and offensive Swift Swim + SD is also surprisingly potent as well (but very niche ofc). Holding off on A- just a bit since Sigi is rude but B+ at worst (and almost definitely higher if Sigi gets the boot).

Gurdurr to B+

This one may / may not be a bit more controversial but Knock Off really limits the amount off stuff it can switch safely in on. It tends to be overwhelmed by a lot of stuff due to its lack of resistances, mediocre SpD, and the generally offensive nature of the metagame. Also even with Guts it's put on a serious timer if you Toxic it and play smart. It's tough to stop once it gets going, but from my experiences it doesn't really get that many chances ~to~ get going :/

Also what does Frogadier do o.o

Last edited:

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Liepard should be somewhere in A-rank as long as Sigilyph is in the tier. It's the best offensive Dark-type in the tier at the moment because it's fast as fuck and still really strong. Priority Thunder Wave can save your ass a ton in such an offensive metagame, and priority Encore can both stop setup sweepers and give a chance for yours to set up. Fantastic Pokemon, best offensive check to Sigilyph, easily deserves A-rank.\

Oh, it also fucks up once of its best answers, Gurdurr, thanks to Knock Off. :)

Oh also plz Kricketune in C. It's at least as good as Masquerain as a Sticky Web setter because it gets Taunt, which is huge for early game momentum, and Knock Off, which is a generally fantastic move.

Last edited:
Would like to bring up a small point here. Fletch is B rank In UU and B+ rank in RU. Both tiers I am very familiar with. Yet in NU the land of weaker mons in comparison to the other tiers mentioned it is B- rank?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Would like to bring up a small point here. Fletch is B rank In UU and B+ rank in RU. Both tiers I am very familiar with. Yet in NU the land of weaker mons in comparison to the other tiers mentioned it is B- rank?
viability ranking across tiers isn't directly comparable because of differences in the metagame. look at the top pokemon in NU: fletchinder struggles vs: rhydon, spiritomb, feraligatr, seismitoad, gorebyss, magneton, samurott, rotom, omastar, barbaracle, lanturn, qwilfish ETC ETC ETC. There aren't as many top Pokemon that Fletchinder can beat in NU. In RU, there are more Fighting-types to beat up on (and Yanmega), While in UU Fletchinder can revenge top threats like Meinshao, Infernape, Heracross, Roserade, ETC.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
viability ranking across tiers isn't directly comparable because of differences in the metagame. look at the top pokemon in NU: fletchinder struggles vs: rhydon, spiritomb, feraligatr, seismitoad, gorebyss, magneton, samurott, rotom, omastar, barbaracle, lanturn, qwilfish ETC ETC ETC. There aren't as many top Pokemon that Fletchinder can beat in NU. In RU, there are more Fighting-types to beat up on (and Yanmega), While in UU Fletchinder can revenge top threats like Meinshao, Infernape, Heracross, Roserade, ETC.
Doesn't Flecthinder actually beat Spiritomb? It can burn physical Tomb, while Swords Dance can potentially overpower CroTomb (if Sleep Talk decides to be a bitch, which is 90% of the time). Fletch is also one of the only (unSTABed) Knock Off absorbers in the tier, so there is that.

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Also what does Frogadier do o.o
I dunno exactly what it does, but with STAB on everything, I think it could make for a decent scarf revenger as it has a pretty wide range of options with its special moves as well as u-turn and 92 base Speed (or whatever it is) is pretty decent for it, allowing it to outspeed the entire unboosted tier (fk ninjask) and even the shell smashers in the tier, bar Jolly Barbaracle, all at +2. However, it is terribly frail and imo it'll need a good amount of support in order for it to successfully pull its weight in battle. Maybe C- rank for Frogadier will do for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)