Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question and perhaps the rate my team forum is more suitable but it's a question regarding completing an incomplete team so I thought I would ask it here.

I have 5 out of 6 of the team members decided. They are
Bulky DD Zard X, AV Azumarill, Ferrothorn, Offensive Defog Latios (with HP Fighting instead of coverage to lure Bisharp), TWave + 3 Attacks Thundurus.

Here are the details in hide tags.

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Atk / 108 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Knock Off

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SDef
Impish Nature
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd / 3 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Defog

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

I need to decide on a last member. My first choice had been Technician Sash Breloom to help against Bisharp and for Spore support.

The other mon I had considered was Landorus-I as it also helped against Bisharp, gave me some offensive presence against fairies like Clefable, against Mega Mawile and against Mega Venusaur. I've had similar results with both mons, altough Breloom seems a little more useful because Spore is just great. However, Mega Mawile and to an extent HP Fire Greninja (if Azu is dead) destroy my team.

Could anyone give me suggestions on who to run as the last pokemon, whether Breloom, Landorus or something else? Thanks.

Anywhere I can find a LV 50 set for Timid LO Yveltal?
Best ask in the Ubers SQSA, here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...edition-read-before-posting-a-thread.3490353/. The people in this thread are likely not experienced in Ubers, as this is the OU SQ/SA and Yveltal is Ubers.
Or just Google it.

From the Smogon analysis I got:
move 1: Dark Pulse
move 2: Oblivion Wing
move 3: Sucker Punch (possibly something else, coverage maybe. focus blast would be the best option i'd think, has good synergy with dark pulse. although you could keep sucker punch even with timid since it won't be that weak thanks to dark aura + stab + 80 bp + good attack stat)
move 4: Taunt / U-turn (probably taunt, since u-turn will be really weak with timid and u-turn is best when paired with m-gengar to trap+kill yveltal's counters)
ability: Dark Aura
item: Life Orb
nature: Mild / Rash (well, in your case, timid)
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Unfortunately, Timid kinda sucks for Yveltal due to Sucker Punch being one of his more important moves.
(It's still a decent ability for it. Better than say, something that lowers Special Attack)

Last edited:
Best ask in the Ubers SQSA, here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...edition-read-before-posting-a-thread.3490353/. The people in this thread are likely not experienced in Ubers, as this is the OU SQ/SA and Yveltal is Ubers.
Or just Google it.

From the Smogon analysis I got:
move 1: Dark Pulse
move 2: Oblivion Wing
move 3: Sucker Punch (possibly something else, coverage maybe. focus blast would be the best option i'd think, has good synergy with dark pulse. although you could keep sucker punch even with timid since it won't be that weak thanks to dark aura + stab + 80 bp + good attack stat)
move 4: Taunt / U-turn (probably taunt, since u-turn will be really weak with timid and u-turn is best when paired with m-gengar to trap+kill yveltal's counters)
ability: Dark Aura
item: Life Orb
nature: Mild / Rash (well, in your case, timid)
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Unfortunately, Timid kinda sucks for Yveltal due to Sucker Punch being one of his more important moves.
Alrighty, thanks for the info

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Hey, does anybody know a decently reliable way to defeat Mega Mawile? I've only managed to defeat those if fsr they didn't set up an SD (which is so disgustingly easy lol, because of Intimidate). At +2 it smashes any physical wall I can think of, and a +2 Sucker Punch kills any wannabe revenge killer, so I'm pretty much at my wits' end :\ the only counters I can think of are Aegislash (which requires A LOT of King's Shield mindgames) and Heatran (who has to be running WoW and hope that Mawile doesn't run any Fighting coverage), and I'd like some freedom in my teambuilding :)

EDIT: Oh, ofc I can occasionally defeat it in a 1 for 1 trade; for instance, on one occasion it switched in on my Excadrill, I Earthquaked as it set up, then died to a +2 SP. I then revenged it with Keldeo (survives +2 SP. Mawile also survives a Hydro Pump at full health, so I can't switch in Keldeo as Mawile sets up). I just don't wanna have to sacrifice at least 1,5 pkmn to defeat it :(

Last edited:
Hey, does anybody know a decently reliable way to defeat Mega Mawile? I've only managed to defeat those if fsr they didn't set up an SD (which is so disgustingly easy lol, because of Intimidate). At +2 it smashes any physical wall I can think of, and a +2 Sucker Punch kills any wannabe revenge killer, so I'm pretty much at my wits' end :\ the only counters I can think of are Aegislash (which requires A LOT of King's Shield mindgames) and Heatran (who has to be running WoW and hope that Mawile doesn't run any Fighting coverage), and I'd like some freedom in my teambuilding :)
Skarmory can make a good defensive counter for Mega Mawile's that lack Fire Fang. It can phaze out potential Swords Dance boosts and even though it can't exactly hit it back hard it can wear it down over time.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Skarmory can make a good defensive counter for Mega Mawile's that lack Fire Fang. It can phaze out potential Swords Dance boosts and even though it can't exactly hit it back hard it can wear it down over time.
Thanks, but what if it does run Fire Fang? Skarm does work if Mawile lacks that move, but it is its most common coverage move and afaik it is also commonly accepted as its best one, so..

Edit Arikado Ouch, sounds unhealthy. Glad to know I'm not a noob for having trouble with that thing then ;)

Last edited:
Thanks, but what if it does run Fire Fang? Skarm does work if Mawile lacks that move, but it is its most common coverage move and afaik it is also commonly accepted as its best one, so..
I guess non Mega Gyarados since it resists almost all of Mega Mawile her moves and has Intimidate.

EDIT: Play Rough still does a shit ton though without defensive EV's

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
People started running Counter on Skarmory just for Mega Mawile (and some other pokes, but mainly mega mawile and mega gyara)

KingHeracrossTheBug said:
Is Mega-Gyarados even used?
If you mean in OU, Mega-Gyarados is considered an A+ threat on the viability thread and is most definitely used and should be taken into account when team-building. If you mean "Is it used to kill Skarmory", then it's generally not a very good switch-in considering that Mega-Gyarados would need to set-up Dragon Dances, and Skarmory usually has the means to shut it down even without counter (though counter does make Skarmory a nice switch-in and can net some surprise kills)

Are double switches considered to be "simultaneous"?

Like, say my opponent switches to an intimidate user the same turn I double switch to a Defiant/Competetive Pokemon. Would Intimidate trigger the Pokemon's ability everytime, or literally only the ones where it switches "first"?

Like, say my opponent switches to an intimidate user the same turn I double switch to a Defiant/Competetive Pokemon. Would Intimidate trigger the Pokemon's ability everytime, or literally only the ones where it switches "first"?
Since Intimidate triggers a stat drop, it would always trigger Defiant/Competitive. However, some stuff such as Trace-Magic Guard-hazards wouldn't work that way.

Switching out is determined by the speed of the pokemon that are switching out. If it's Accelgor vs. Rhyperior, and Accelgor switches to Landorus-T while Rhyperior switches to Bisharp, Accelgor would withdraw and Lando-T would come in, intimidate the Rhyperior, then Rhyperior would switch out and Bisharp would come in and not be intimidated. If it were the other way around, Accelgor would switch to Bisharp, then Rhyperior would switch to Lando-T which would activate intimidate, which would activate Defiant.

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just curious of others opinions - is it bad / wrong to have two setup sweepers on a team? I'm kinda conflicted on this one.
It obviously depends on which Pokemon/the sweepers you're referring to are and what you actually want to accomplish, but a lot of the time it can be a good idea to have more than one Pokemon that can set up. For instance, if one of the Pokemon is capable of weakening the other's checks/counters, it can make accomplishing a sweep later in the game much easier. An example could be using Bisharp to dent a physically defensive wall such as Skarmory so another physical sweeper can come in later in the game, only having to deal with a weakened Skarmory (this is just an example).

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It obviously depends on which Pokemon/the sweepers you're referring to are and what you actually want to accomplish, but a lot of the time it can be a good idea to have more than one Pokemon that can set up. For instance, if one of the Pokemon is capable of weakening the other's checks/counters, it can make accomplishing a sweep later in the game much easier. An example could be using Bisharp to dent a physically defensive wall such as Skarmory so another physical sweeper can come in later in the game, only having to deal with a weakened Skarmory (this is just an example).
Thanks for the input again, really appreciate it :)

I'm making a stall team right now and I have Vaporeon as a Wish-passer, M-Blastoise as a Spinner, and Skarmory as a hazard setter/phazer, but all three are weak to Electric-type. Any suggestions as to who could replace who for any of these roles? I'd prefer not to lose Vaporeon though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)