First NU RMT

As the title suggests, this is my very first NU team submitted to the forums. I have made quite a few NU teams, but all of them had one vital flaw that prevented them from submission; THEY ALL SUCKED.
This team I think has at least a bit of potential to be good.

Before we get into the details, let's go through the teambuilding process:

I will also be listing the resistances and the weaknesses after each team member is shown, if a Pokemon on my team is weak to a type, but another resists it, I will take it off of the weakness list

I needed a good wall, one that could tank a good number of hits and set up rocks. Mega-Aggron fits the criteria perfectly, but there's a problem with it; it's in UU. So, instead, I decided to go with Specially Defensive Bastiodon

Res:Normal, Fairy, Flying, Dragon, Rock, Ice, Poison, Bug, Psychic
Weak: Fighting, Water, Ground

Looking at the weaknesses, I could instantly see a perfect fit for my next Pokemon, Gourgeist-Super

Res:Normal, Fairy, Flying, Dragon, Rock, Ice, Poison, Bug, Psychic, Ground, Water, Fighting
Weak: Ghost, Dark, Fire

With the Ghost and Dark weakness, I thought to myself, "what type or type combination resists both Ghost AND Dark?", well the answer was staring me square in the face, Dark type. And after a few minutes of sifting through potential team members I came across what I think is a pretty good utility Pokemon.

IMO, Liepard was a lot better when Swagger wasn't banned, but even without Swagger it's still good

Res:Normal, Fairy, Flying, Dragon, Rock, Ice, Poison, Bug, Psychic, Ground, Water, Fighting, Grass, Dark, Ghost
Weak: Fire

I have covered most of my weaknesses now, so all I had to do is fill in the gaps. I wanted to use a FWG Core, and I already had a Grass Type on my team, so next up was a Water Type.

Res:Normal, Fairy, Flying, Dragon, Rock, Ice, Poison, Bug, Psychic, Ground, Water, Fighting, Grass, Dark, Ghost
Weak: Fire

Welp, the only thing I need in my core now is a Fire Type, and for reasons I will discuss when we get into the team, I new exactly who I was going to chose.

I now have no weaknesses

All that was left was a Pokemon to remove/prevent hazards
I already had a Pokemon to stop them from using things like SR an Toxic Spikes in Liepard, but I needed something to be able to remove them if Liepard isn't on the field. I ultimately decided to use Xatu

Unfortunately my sprite source didn't have the x and y Xatu model, so the B/W one will have to do.
This thing was perfect against Seismitoad, which is a very common lead in NU, I usually lead with Liepard so EQ can be a problem, so instead of risking the chance of them Earthquaking, I can safely switch into Xatu, bounce back the Rocks if they do go for them or block the EQ. It was also able to take a few Scalds as it's Sp.Def wasn't that bad, only problem was the status conditions, and with a lack of Heal Bell/Aromatherapy on my team, I decided that I had to switch Xatu for something better (also because it wasn't allowed Defog AND Magic Bounce)

So after about 15 minutes of searching for some saving grace, scrolling up and down the tier list for a Hazard and Status remover, I decided to pay Showdown's NU room a visit. I asked them for a Hazard/Status remover, which brings us to Xatu's replacement.

Togetic, I have no idea why I didn't think of this earlier, it's a great wall, aswell as a great Hazard remover with access to Heal Bell.

Whew, that took a while. Now let's get to the team.

Galleon
(Bastiodon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Soundproof
EV's: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Heavy Slam
-Roar
-Protect

Bastiodon has an amazing defensive type, along with amazing defenses. I decided to make it a mixed wall, when fully invested in SDef, it is able to barely surpass uninvested Defense, but I made the Nature benefit defense as that was its main purpose on the team.
Now the moveset; It's pretty obvious why I run Stealth Rock, to get some residual damage on the opposing team and breaking Focus Sash. Heavy Slam because it doesn't get Gyro Ball. Roar to remove set-up sweepers like Sigilyph, Vivillon and Gogoat. Protect is just to scout or stall a Poisoned/Burned foe.
Bastiodon deals with a lot of offensive threats like Guts Swellow, Gogoat, Granbull, Flareon, Beartic, and the list goes on. Also, I use soundproof instead of sturdy because It's almost never OHKO'd, and because Whirlpool, Perish Song Lapras is apparently a thing.

Jack The Ripper
(Gourgeist-Super) @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EV's: 204 Def / 76 SDef / 56 Atk / 172 HP
Careful Nature
-Leech Seed
-Pain Split
-Will-O-Wisp
-Seed Bomb

Of the four Gourgeist forms, I found this one to be the most versatile.
Being a Defensive Pokemon, it has little need for speed, so nothing invested there, as for the useful stats, I essentially randomized them, placing what I thought was useful in select stats.
The obvious choice for ability is Frisk, Pickup is pretty much useless, and insomnia hasn't been released or something (I can only assume since there is a stroke through it on the showdown teambuilder). Frisk will allow you to see what item your opponent has, so if you come in on a Choiced Poke that goes for a fire move on the Gourgeist switch, you can go into something that resists it, or gets a boost from it.
Moveset is fairly standard; Leech Seed for extra recovery, Pain Split for when I am on low health, Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers without Guts and Seed Bomb for poweful coverage.
Edit: I'm thinking of using Shadow Sneak instead of Seed Bomb for priority

Gemini
(Liepard) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EV's: 252 Spd / 252 HP/ 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
-Thunder Wave
-Encore
-Foul Play
-Taunt

Just to clarify, I named it Gemini after my cat. Prankster is really what makes Liepard good, if it didn't get Prankster, it would be about as good as deadwood.
I will usually lead with Liepard to paralyze or Taunt whatever they want to lead with, but if they don't look like they have a set lead, I will go with something else.
Moveset is pretty standard, I used to run Knock Off over Foul Play, but after contemplating what exactly is going to lose usability because of Knock Off, I changed to Foul Play.
Thunder Wave cripples fast sweepers, Encore for those who try to set up or if I want to force my opponent to stick with a status move. Taunt is my main form of hazard prevention and handy to have against teams that like to set up.

Chicharito
(Ludicolo) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Own Tempo
EV's: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
-Ice Beam
-Giga Drain
-Hydro Pump
-Focus Blast

Assault Vest Ludicolo is an absolute MONSTER.
It's able to eat up Special hits while dealing out a hefty amount of damage.
Not much else can be said about this thing, it's other abilities require rain to be active, so Own Tempo is the obvious choice.
As for the moves, Assault Vest limits you to damaging moves only, so the ones chosen are purely for coverage. Ice Beam takes out Flying types, Giga Drain for Water types and to recover HP. I have considered using Surf instead of Hydro Pump for better accuracy and more PP, and finally Focus Blast for a powerful coverage move, I use this generally, but it becomes especially useful as a final Hoorah if I know it's going down.

Grey Mane
(Rapidash) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes
EV's: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
-Drill Run
-Flare Blitz
-Wild Charge
-Morning Sun

You might notice that these Bio's are getting shorter, well that's the fatigue kicking in, almost 3 hours, as of writing this sentence, have gone into making this RMT.
Rapidash is one of the better Physical sweepers in NU, due to it's base 100 Attack and base 105 Speed. It's able to outspeed most things and just destroy them.
Drill Run gives Rapidash a fighting chance against rock types.
Flare Blitz is a powerful Fire attack that takes advantage of it's high attack, if you can get Flash Fire to activate on this thing, you will ruin everything your opponent throws at you.
Wild Charge is for the same reasons as Drill Run but for Water types.
And finally Morning Sun is used to recover the recoil damage from FB and WC.
It's pretty obvious that Rapidash is my Physical sweeper, Life Orb over Choice items because I like to recover the damage done. Also the name only makes sense if it's shiny.

Insert Witty Nickname
(Togetic) @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EV's: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 SAtk
Calm Nature
-Dazzling Gleam
-Wish
-Defog
-Heal Bell

As mentioned in the building process, Togetic replaced Xatu because it did the job I wanted Xatu to do. The thing is, it does what Xatu can do, along with removing status ailments.
It took me a while to find this Pokemon, and surprisingly enough it fit in really well with the team, it didn't add any glaring weaknesses, it could tank quite a few hits, and it got rid of hazards. I did run 252 EV's in HP, but then changed it to minimize SR damage.
On with the moveset, Dazzling Gleam is the best Fairy move it gets, so there's no real reasoning behind this choice. I did use Roost instead of Wish before, but I changed it so I could restore the health of other Pokemon on my team who need it.
Defog is to remove hazards and screens.
Heal Bell to remove status conditions, I have found that the team suffers from Toxic slightly and from Paralysis, so Heal Bell removes these problems.

If you made it this far, you deserve an internet cookie.
Let me know what you think of the team and if there are any improvements that can be made be it Pokemon changes, moveset changes or even different EV spreads.
Time Started: 20:48
Time Finished: 00:17
A match with the team:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/nubeta-133157674

Last edited:

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not giving a rate, just want to point out that if you are running Foul Play as the only offensive move on Liepard, you can move those Atk EVs somewhere else, preferably Speed (to Foul Play faster mons) or maybe bulk (not that Liepard will ever be bulky). You might as well go for a Timid nature and 0 Atk IVs to minimize opposing Foul Play and confusion damage (good luck getting Liepard to survive a confusion inducing offensive move though).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)