Metagame Gen VI NU New/Creative/Underrated Movesets

Status
Not open for further replies.
approved by Raseri, format somewhat borrowed from Al_Alchemist and his XY LC thread

this thread can be necrobumped as long as you have new content to add

Discussion Rules (read them):

1: Use the readable format to display your movesets or EV spreads. An example would be:
Pokemon Name:(Adding pictures may make it easier to read and visually appealing; however, avoid using huge ones. Sprites can be found here)
name:
move 1:
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:
ability:
item:
EVs: Ordered HP/Atk/Def/SpA/SpD/Spe
nature(s):

A copy/paste from teambuilder is acceptable as well. Just make sure you don't confuse Special Defense and Speed.

2: Do not repeat movesets already mentioned in previous posts. If you do not know if a moveset has already been mentioned use the "Search this Thread" tool or index to check.

3: Note that this thread is for sets that you've actually tried at least a few times, not something that "might work". If you think something has potential, you can be bothered to use it before subjecting everyone else to it.

4: This is for competitive, serious movesets only. Don't post joke sets.

5: Post a description along with your moveset. Do not make a one line description. Try supporting your set with calcs, and maybe a replay or two. This should be obvious.

6: If you are not posting a set, you should be commenting/discussing another set. One liner posts are not allowed in this instance either.

7: If another Pokemon does the set overwhelmingly better, don't post it. This means don't post things like SubLO Torterra (Sceptile can do this much better).

I may update the op later with sets that are posted if we get enough good ones. Happy posting n_n

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Not sure if this set will be frowned upon, but I'll try to back this set up.
Crustle
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Solar Beam
- X-Scissor
Ability: Sturdy
Item: Power Herb
EVs: 84 HP/ 180 SpA/ 244 Spe or 12 Atk/ 252 SpA/ 244 Spe
Nature: Modest (+SpA -Atk) Or Rash (+SpA - SpD)

Ok yes, this seems a very trollish set, using a poke that has 65 base special attack to dish out moves and coupling that with a non-stab move that wastes an item to use. So this set is gimmicky to say the least. However, this set has helped me out time and time again as a lead. With power herb solar beam, it is guaranteed to kill lead rhydon and seismitoad, if they both do not have special defense investment, which are 2 of the most common and effective stealth rock setters in the tier. (Also brings golem and other pokes weak to solar beam to sturdy, but are not as common.) With max special attack, it can do over 75% to both pokes with max special defense investment, which has not been too common from what I've seen, but people do run those sets. The speed for both are to outspeed 4 speed seismitoad to get the hit off first, though you could run max speed. The first set provides a little more bulk, while guaranteeing that 4 SpA life orb shiftry cannot OHKO with leaf storm after stealth rocks. So while you cannot switch into shiftry (crustle really shouldn't for the most part anyways), you can take a hit and kill with x-scissor, even with minus nature. Spikes and stealth rocks are there to be a fast lead to get hazards up in case neither of those 2 pokes lead, while sturdy should give you opportunities to get up 2 layers with a slower lead poke.

This poke at the worst is a fast hazard setter to get you a guarentee 1 if not 2 forms of hazards. At best, it can provides those functions while being a surprise and knocking out your opponent's stealth rocker.

I will try to look up some links with this poke doing work and put the links in here later.
EDIT:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-134501126
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-134584358

Last edited:

SPACE FORCE meeps

LAW & ORDER!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
i dont think i've seen or heard of anyone using this (hopefully no one has)

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 60 Atk / 196 SAtk / 252 Spd
Rash Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Extrasensory
- Giga Drain
- Sucker Punch

i wanted to build around this because it seemed it would be cool, and i ended up with a bulky offense/semi-stall team and got #1 on the ladder. nasty plot + extrasensory is really nice in the meta given the highly prevalent fighting-types and poison-types in the tier. giga drain is a solid stab attack coming off a decent 90 base satk stat and a lot of common pokemon are weak to grass as well and it helps it recover for a bit more longetivity too. i decided sucker punch would be a sufficient last move, because it would help for some faster frail stuff, or just to pick off opponents at low health. a nice thing about the set is if it manages to come in vs pokemon like rhydon/seismitoad and setup a nasty plot as they both fear grass, which can lure in pokemon like vileplume or gurdurr giving shiftry an opportunity to setup nasty plot and then ohko with extrasensory (works best against rhydon and seismitoad, kinda risky vs other stuff because they may stay in, which isnt that likely and ohko shiftry with ice attack or something. rhydon generally doesnt pack megahorn and generally more offensive oriented seismitoad will run sludge wave, but it's a risky play to leave in a slower water-type vs shiftry anyways, so choosing to giga drain or nasty plot kinda depends on the opponent's team structure really, if there isnt something it can lure in and damage with giga drain or extrasensory, it's generally an ok play to giga drain right off the bat). the evs are for ohko sigilyph with sucker punch really, could run less speed maybe idk (jolly barbaracle outspeed with less speed tho). also when opponent's see giga drain or extrasensory or nasty plot they may assume it doesnt have sucker punch and bring in sigilyph, not too common of an occurrence tho. rash > mild cuz physical priority is more common (i think rash allows shiftry to survive mach punch from gurdurr after sr and one attack with lo), shiftry's bulk isnt that great anyways. also leaf storm could be used, more damage on fighting-types than extrasensory, +2 lo leaf storm with solid investment could be p nasty, but i like the recovery

some calcs:

+2 196+ SpA Life Orb Shiftry Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Vileplume: 400-473 (112.9 - 133.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 196+ SpA Life Orb Shiftry Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Gurdurr: 424-499 (113.3 - 133.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Gurdurr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shiftry: 188-224 (58.5 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 196+ SpA Life Orb Shiftry Extrasensory vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 265-315 (61.7 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (+2 leaf storm with 228 ev can ohko max hp 4 spdef ass vest hariyama)
+2 196+ SpA Life Orb Shiftry Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dragalge: 231-273 (69.1 - 81.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery (offensive variants ohko'd after rocks)
+2 196+ SpA Life Orb Shiftry Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Weezing: 494-582 (147.9 - 174.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
60 Atk Life Orb Shiftry Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Sigilyph: 289-343 (101 - 119.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

o ya something to take out steel-types is nice because they all but steelix beat this set (notably probospass, magneton, klinklang). so ya ground-type or fighting-type could go well with it (like gurdurr, steelix, seismitoad are the best options because they're pretty bulky). still a fun set to use

might get replays sometime, the few i have it didnt get an opportunity to do much

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock / U-turn
- Roost / Rock Slide
- Taunt
- Acrobatics / U-turn

o boi here is one of the unexpected sets. This is a fast stallbreaker set that can, when played right, prevent hazards from being set up and any set up moves from being used in general. The difference between other stall breakers? Speed and Offensive presence. Stealth Rocks is utility and with its offensive presence, can easily set up stealth rocks. Roost helps it stay alive through the match if you happen to let stealth rocks get on the field. Taunt is Archeop's main weapon, allowing it to stop many defensive pokemon by preventing them from using supportive moves. Lastly, Acrobatics is STAB and allows you to abuse that juicy base 140 attack. U-turn can be used over Stealth Rocks or Acrobatics to pivot throughout the match. If U-Turn is Archeop's only attacking move, then you should change the attack EVs into HP EVs. Rock Slide can be used over Roost if you're certain that you will prevent stealth rocks from getting onto the field. Overall, this is a very effective set that can easily surprise your opponent. Though its fraility may put you off some, a well played Archeops will never get hit. This set is quite useful if you dislike the momentum sucking of spinners and still want to prevent hazards off the field.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Archeops
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock / U-turn
- Roost / Rock Slide
- Taunt
- Acrobatics / U-turn

o boi here is one of the unexpected sets. This is a fast stallbreaker set that can, when played right, prevent hazards from being set up and any set up moves from being used in general. The difference between other stall breakers? Speed and Offensive presence. Stealth Rocks is utility and with its offensive presence, can easily set up stealth rocks. Roost helps it stay alive through the match if you happen to let stealth rocks get on the field. Taunt is Archeop's main weapon, allowing it to stop many defensive pokemon by preventing them from using supportive moves. Lastly, Acrobatics is STAB and allows you to abuse that juicy base 140 attack. U-turn can be used over Stealth Rocks or Acrobatics to pivot throughout the match. If U-Turn is Archeop's only attacking move, then you should change the attack EVs into HP EVs. Rock Slide can be used over Roost if you're certain that you will prevent stealth rocks from getting onto the field. Overall, this is a very effective set that can easily surprise your opponent. Though its fraility may put you off some, a well played Archeops will never get hit. This set is quite useful if you dislike the momentum sucking of spinners and still want to prevent hazards off the field.
I have been using a SR Archeops myself as well, but it looked a little different, with Focus Sash instead of no item, Head Smash in the second slot and finally Endeavor in the last. I think someone else already mentioned it before in the NP thread, but honestly I feel like if you want to use Archeops like this, that's the best set to go for. I feel like Archeops doesn't benefit from Roost due to its frailty and it's just best off being used as a fast suicide lead with clutch Endeavor to break opposing sashes and generally just weaken an opposing mon to the point where it's easily killed off by something else.

For those who don't know the set:

Archeops @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Head Smash
- Endeavor

Lass Geneviéve

Banned deucer.
I have made a custom moveset for Liepard. Liepard is known to make people rip their hair out by using Prankster Thunder Wave and Swagger. In combination with Foul Play this was 1 of the sets that everyone hated facing. Or even the Assist Roar / Whirlwind set, back in Gen 5 NU. Those moves have gotten banned and people often state that Liepard has become useless. But I made an offensive Special Attacking set for Liepard which works suprisingly well.

This is the set:

Liepard @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Dark Pulse
- Copycat

This set is gravitating around setting up a Substitute and a Nasty Plot. To allow Liepard to do big damage with his STAB Dark Pulse move. Let me explain the moves. The first move on this set is Nasty Plot. Nasty Plot is a move that will double your Special Attacking stat(2×). This will boost Liepards average Special Attacking stat to deadly amounts. The second move is going to be Substitute. This will put Liepard behind a protective barrier to protect Liepard from status moves such as Toxic, Burn and Paralysis. The Substitute will fade when Liepard took more damage than he sacrifized to create the Substitute. The third move is going to be Dark Pulse. This is a base 80 power Dark Type move which Liepard gets STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus) on. STAB adds a 1.5× boost to a move that is the same typing as the user. In this case the base 80 power becomes 120 power. This move has a 30% chance to flinch the opponent meaning that if Liepard is faster and you flinch the opponent, the will not be able to move for 1 turn. The last move is Copycat. Copycat is a non attacking move which will copy the last move used in battle. After boosting your Special Attack with Nasty Plot, something will take a heavy amount of damage with a chance to flinch. Copycat then copies the move allowing it to get +1 Priority due to the Prankster ability. Meaning Liepard is save from other priority moves that people want to attack Liepard with after it gets set up.

This set enjoys the support of Toxic Spikes. This allows Liepard to stall out the bulky Fighting, Fairy or Dark types that resist the only move Liepard carries being Dark Pulse. Toxic Spikes damage will rack up turn by turn. This means Liepard can get by bulky pokémon such as Throh, Pangoro, Granbull and Hariyama.

The EV's are very simple. We have max Special Attack to maximize out Liepards offensive power. We have 252 Speed maximizing out his base 106 speed. And the remaining 4 EV's don't matter as much, but they are dumped into Special Defense.

I have put 0 Attack IV's meaning Liepard can set up on pokémon with only Foul Play as their offensive move. Such as, the rare Foul Play Spiritomb. You can also switch in on Cosmic Power Sigilyph. Which usually only carries Stored Power as an offensive move. You can Substitute on the predicted Psycho Shift and proceed to set up to atleast +4. The 0 Attack IV's also make sure Liepard takes minimum damage from hitting himself in confusion.

I know there are several things that resist the move Dark Pulse. Such as Fairy, Fighting and Dark types. The most threat to this set is probably a bulky Fighting type like Gurdurr or Pangoro which 4× resist it. A good team mate for Liepard is a pokémon that can deal with the types listed. A Granbull can take care of the Fighting and Dark types which would wall the set effectively. A STAB Play Rough is going to take out most of the Dark and Fighting types that can stop Liepard's potential to sweep.

The EV spread can be changed to make Liepard a better revenge killer. Another EV spread for this set could be: 252 SAtk, 252 Spd, 4 Atk with a Rash nature. So Liepard can also do something on the physical side. This set was meant for sweeping instead of revenge killing, so I decided to go with a Timid Nature. I hope you guys found this explaination usefull and decide to give Sub Nasty Cat Liepard a try. See you in the NU tier!

Replays:
1. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-131382427 vs Relttek
2. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-130649234 vs SonicRamon5682
3. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-130570312 vs Gabidou99
4. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-130568763 vs TopTierTrash (Quite Quiet)
5. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-130323485 vs help i'm new

I have made a custom moveset for Liepard. Liepard is known to make people rip their hair out by using Prankster Thunder Wave and Swagger. In combination with Foul Play this was 1 of the sets that everyone hated facing. Or even the Assist Roar / Whirlwind set, back in Gen 5 NU. Those moves have gotten banned and people often state that Liepard has become useless. But I made an offensive Special Attacking set for Liepard which works suprisingly well.

This is the set:

Liepard @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Dark Pulse
- Copycat

This set is gravitating around setting up a Substitute and a Nasty Plot. To allow Liepard to do big damage with his STAB Dark Pulse move. Let me explain the moves. The first move on this set is Nasty Plot. Nasty Plot is a move that will double your Special Attacking stat(2×). This will boost Liepards average Special Attacking stat to deadly amounts. The second move is going to be Substitute. This will put Liepard behind a protective barrier to protect Liepard from status moves such as Toxic, Burn and Paralysis. The Substitute will fade when Liepard took more damage than he sacrifized to create the Substitute. The third move is going to be Dark Pulse. This is a base 80 power Dark Type move which Liepard gets STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus) on. STAB adds a 1.5× boost to a move that is the same typing as the user. In this case the base 80 power becomes 120 power. This move has a 30% chance to flinch the opponent meaning that if Liepard is faster and you flinch the opponent, the will not be able to move for 1 turn. The last move is Copycat. Copycat is a non attacking move which will copy the last move used in battle. After boosting your Special Attack with Nasty Plot, something will take a heavy amount of damage with a chance to flinch. Copycat then copies the move allowing it to get +1 Priority due to the Prankster ability. Meaning Liepard is save from other priority moves that people want to attack Liepard with after it gets set up.

This set enjoys the support of Toxic Spikes. This allows Liepard to stall out the bulky Fighting, Fairy or Dark types that resist the only move Liepard carries being Dark Pulse. Toxic Spikes damage will rack up turn by turn. This means Liepard can get by bulky pokémon such as Throh, Pangoro, Granbull and Hariyama.

The EV's are very simple. We have max Special Attack to maximize out Liepards offensive power. We have 252 Speed maximizing out his base 106 speed. And the remaining 4 EV's don't matter as much, but they are dumped into Special Defense.

I have put 0 Attack IV's meaning Liepard can set up on pokémon with only Foul Play as their offensive move. Such as, the rare Foul Play Spiritomb. You can also switch in on Cosmic Power Sigilyph. Which usually only carries Stored Power as an offensive move. You can Substitute on the predicted Psycho Shift and proceed to set up to atleast +4. The 0 Attack IV's also make sure Liepard takes minimum damage from hitting himself in confusion.

I know there are several things that resist the move Dark Pulse. Such as Fairy, Fighting and Dark types. The most threat to this set is probably a bulky Fighting type like Gurdurr or Pangoro which 4× resist it. A good team mate for Liepard is a pokémon that can deal with the types listed. A Granbull can take care of the Fighting and Dark types which would wall the set effectively. A STAB Play Rough is going to take out most of the Dark and Fighting types that can stop Liepard's potential to sweep.

The EV spread can be changed to make Liepard a better revenge killer. Another EV spread for this set could be: 252 SAtk, 252 Spd, 4 Atk with a Rash nature. So Liepard can also do something on the physical side. This set was meant for sweeping instead of revenge killing, so I decided to go with a Timid Nature. I hope you guys found this explaination usefull and decide to give Sub Nasty Cat Liepard a try. See you in the NU tier!

Replays:
1. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-131382427 vs Relttek
2. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-130649234 vs SonicRamon5682
3. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-130570312 vs Gabidou99
4. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-130568763 vs TopTierTrash (Quite Quiet)
5. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-130323485 vs help i'm new
Your set looks fucking annoying interesting. My suggestion to this set is to run max HP because there really isn't much of a reason to run speed because this set mostly tries to abuse copycat, which, due to prankster, is given priority.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Samurott @ Life Orb / Salac Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump / Surf
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot / Hidden Power Grass
- Substitute

This is a very interesting Samurott set that I recently created. It aims to set up a Substitute on much of the tier; this is made easier by the number of switches it causes. Then, either attack or continue to Substitute to activate the Salac Berry. Very little in NU can handle Water / Ice / Grass coverage; common switchins like Vileplume and Seismitoad are demolished.

If using a Salac Berry, increase speed to 252 (a Timid Nature is optional).

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Gorebyss @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Baton Pass
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Use this, send it to a powerful teammate that is moderately fast and preferably slightly bulky (use Assault Vest if you have to), win. Make sure the target can withstand at least two Sucker Punches

Lass Geneviéve

Banned deucer.
Really ? I've never seen that before hmm.
Acid Armor > Rain Dance IMO. Plus Gooey or even Sap Sipper are better abilities. Gooey helps against physical threats that happen to KO it because you can switch into something possibly slower.
Rain Dance is there to activate your Hydration Ability.
And because his Special Defense is so damn high already, you don't have to invest in it necessarilly. You can just do 248 HP, 252 Def, 8 SpDef with a + Defense, - Attack nature. This will make Sliggoo super bulky and it can takes hits, while having a solid recovery move. And it can stall out many, many things.

Leavanny @ Focus Sash
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Leaf Storm
- Heal Bell
- Magic Coat

This is your regular Sticky Web setter with a little twist.
Unlike the piss-weak Leaf Blade, Leaf Storm OHKOs Rhydon and Sandslash before they even make move. It also has a small chance to 2HKO Steelix (leaf blade is a 8hko lol) and is guaranteed to 2HKO any qwilfish possibly weakening it for your feraligatr or whatever
Heal Bell is another cool move if you happen to still have Leavanny late game to heal your team from status. Nothing special really but more effective in my experience

Last edited:

Alright but for real this following set is awesome. It gives amazing utility, is a great revenge killer, cripples teams like hell through Destiny Bond + Trick, and disrupts just about any offensive team. No explanation needed.

Mismagius @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam / Thunderbolt
- Destiny Bond
- Trick

Last edited by a moderator:

Lass Geneviéve

Banned deucer.
Sub Nasty Plot is way better if you ask me. :P
Also, Dazzling Gleam and Shadow Ball have amazing neutral coverage. I think it hits everything thing in the tier for atleast neutral damage. Aside from Pyroar and Litleo. But I think Mismagius can pull of a Scarf set just fine. Just not with Tbolt :P

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Tremble in despair for the almighty spirit of the Keystone! Seriously though, this set has given me so many autowins it's not even funny. Its only weakness is Fairy, which is pretty much non-existant in NU (and even then you can setup on some of them with Pressure reducing the chance of a crit). Anything that's Normal, Psychic or Fighting-type is pretty much setup fodder. After two CM's, nothing can really stop you barring maybe Granbull with Play Rough. I mean, I invite everybody to try to find counters to this thing because in my opinion it's pretty damn strong. Dark Pulse has such great neutral coverage this gen, it's almost a waste not to use a set like this. Not to mention that it can spinblock and tank physical hits in general really well, it's not just a lategame sweeper. Just try to predict right around wallbreakers, nobody expects CM so they'll try to whittle you down with status first. Once they realize this won't work, they usually bring in their most powerful attacker which you can predict and go for Dark Pulse (at +1 it does a considerable chunk to everything that doesn't resist it). Then you can finish it off and maybe Rest up and continue to sweep. Really a great moveset.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Alright but for real this following set is awesome. It gives amazing utility, is a great revenge killer, cripples teams like hell through Destiny Bond + Trick, and disrupts just about any offensive team. No explanation needed.

Mismagius @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Destiny Bond
- Trick
I'll be honest here, I prefer Scarf Haunter for this role. Haunter doesn't really miss out on any threats (as far as I can tell) that Mismagius can also revenge, the most notable example being Barbaracle: Adamant +2 Barbarcle is still slower than Scarf Haunter, but Jolly Barbaracle outspeeds Scarf Mismagius XP. Magius does outrun Scarf Typhlosion, but you ain't OHKOing it anyway unless u kill urself / lock yourself into Destiny Bond like a dumbass if the opponent switches. Need I mention Haunter not only has better power, but additional STAB, which is very nice to have on a Scarfer to amp up the unpredictability factor.

Truth be told, I am having a lot of problems trying to get Nasty Plot Mismagius to work: her physical bulk makes it super hard to set up safely on almost anything, and her STAB isn't exactly strong enough to OHKO shit left and right after a single boost. My biggest problem is how every single Knock Off in the tier seems to screw her massively over (0- Atk Cryogonal Knock Off vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mismagius: 112-132 (42.74 - 50.38%) WTF), much less stronger Dark STAB from the likes of Spiritomb and Liepard, prematurely ending her sweep every single time. Finally sick and tired of that shit, I present what I feel is the only Nasty Plot Mismagius that even has a shot of success in the tier as of now.

Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Destiny Bond

252+ Atk Spiritomb Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Colbur Berry Mismagius: 171-202 (65.51 - 77.39%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Mismagius Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Spiritomb: 280-330 (92.4 - 108.91%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Dread Plate Liepard Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Colbur Berry Mismagius: 220-259 (84.29 - 99.23%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Hariyama Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Colbur Berry Mismagius: 166-196 (63.6 - 75.09%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Mismagius Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 216-256 (50.23 - 59.53%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Behold most of the Dark-type attacks used to take down a rampaging Mismagius. Suddenly the opponent finds that they are unable to finish Magius off, and immediately crumble to her boosted attack. Mismagius would barely be alive after this, but the point is she still stands, allowing her to Destiny Bond shit to take a second mon down. Note that I've yet to finalize a more ideal spread, since Hariyama will still beat Magius with Bullet Punch if it gets max damage on the Knock Off, while Shiftry's Sucker Punch has a 3/8 chance to OHKO her anyway. Also, Colbur Berry would be of little help if Magius has received damage, which is pretty much what always happens to Mismagius anyway when setting up >.> but otherwise it can work nicely to take out what would otherwise be solid responses.

Last edited:

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Tremble in despair for the almighty spirit of the Keystone! Seriously though, this set has given me so many autowins it's not even funny. Its only weakness is Fairy, which is pretty much non-existant in NU (and even then you can setup on some of them with Pressure reducing the chance of a crit). Anything that's Normal, Psychic or Fighting-type is pretty much setup fodder. After two CM's, nothing can really stop you barring maybe Granbull with Play Rough. I mean, I invite everybody to try to find counters to this thing because in my opinion it's pretty damn strong. Dark Pulse has such great neutral coverage this gen, it's almost a waste not to use a set like this. Not to mention that it can spinblock and tank physical hits in general really well, it's not just a lategame sweeper. Just try to predict right around wallbreakers, nobody expects CM so they'll try to whittle you down with status first. Once they realize this won't work, they usually bring in their most powerful attacker which you can predict and go for Dark Pulse (at +1 it does a considerable chunk to everything that doesn't resist it). Then you can finish it off and maybe Rest up and continue to sweep. Really a great moveset.
Ya well the thing is, that set is standard Oo

Reactions: g
Leavanny @ Focus Sash
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Leaf Storm
- Heal Bell
- Magic Coat

This is your regular Sticky Web setter with a little twist.
Unlike the piss-weak Leaf Blade, Leaf Storm OHKOs Rhydon and Sandslash before they even make move. It also has a small chance to 2HKO Steelix (leaf blade is a 8hko lol) and is guaranteed to 2HKO any qwilfish possibly weakening it for your feraligatr or whatever
Heal Bell is another cool move if you happen to still have Leavanny late game to heal your team from status. Nothing special really but more effective in my experience
How? Heal Bell is illegal alongside Sticky Web.

Showdown lets me use it
I guess you can change it to Protect for Fake Out leads or whatever

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Mismagius @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Destiny Bond
- Trick
honestly I would rather use Scarf Haunter almost always. Mismagius is weak as fuck. Shadow Ball does -ok- damage to most things, but whenever you lock into a non-STAB move, you're losing all of your momentum and can occasionally even be set up on.

Plus, the only things you outrun with this that you don't outrun with Scarf Haunter is like Scarf Typhlosion, which you should be able to check through other means anyways. Both Haunter and Mismagius can be a pain for offensive teams, but Haunter actually has the power to do things to balance.

Also while I'm here, I like Kricketune and Ariados>>>>>>>>>Leavanny as Web setters. Ariados's Megahorn is actually really strong, and it gets priority (Sucker Punch or Shadow Sneak) and Toxic Spikes to make it an all around really solid Pokemon. Kricketune gets Taunt and Knock Off, which are way better than the extra Speed that Leavanny has. Leavanny will be really good if we get Knock Off and Magic Coat tutors in Z or ORAS, but for now, I don't think it's worth using.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
honestly I would rather use Scarf Haunter almost always. Mismagius is weak as fuck. Shadow Ball does -ok- damage to most things, but whenever you lock into a non-STAB move, you're losing all of your momentum and can occasionally even be set up on.

Plus, the only things you outrun with this that you don't outrun with Scarf Haunter is like Scarf Typhlosion, which you should be able to check through other means anyways. Both Haunter and Mismagius can be a pain for offensive teams, but Haunter actually has the power to do things to balance.

Also while I'm here, I like Kricketune and Ariados>>>>>>>>>Leavanny as Web setters. Ariados's Megahorn is actually really strong, and it gets priority (Sucker Punch or Shadow Sneak) and Toxic Spikes to make it an all around really solid Pokemon. Kricketune gets Taunt and Knock Off, which are way better than the extra Speed that Leavanny has. Leavanny will be really good if we get Knock Off and Magic Coat tutors in Z or ORAS, but for now, I don't think it's worth using.
Just saying, Magic Coat is legal with Sticky Web. You can transfer a Magic Coat Sewaddle from gen 5 and level it up to get web. Unfortunately Sewaddle doesn't learn Knock Off and Leavanny doesn't get Sticky Web by level up so it's not the case for Knock Off. I prefer Leavanny because of its Speed, Magic Coat, and ability to beat Xatu and Ditto (you'll need to predict a bit), but the others are definitely worth it as well

Accelgor @ Life Orb / Focus Sash
Ability: Sticky Hold
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Rock] / Spikes
- Encore

My favorite set in the entire tier right now. Encore offensive Accelgor is a fucking monster. Accelgor's massive 145 Speed means that it is one of few pokemon that can reliably encore without significant bulk or whilst having prankster. On top of this, it can use these opportunities to set up Spikes or simply hit the opponent with amazing coverage moves, often preventing your team from being swept by absurdly powerful pokemon. Accelgor is just beast at removing setup sweepers from the field, and it can deal a ton of damage as well as support your team in the process. Definitely the best offensive support mon in the tier atm.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just saying, Magic Coat is legal with Sticky Web. You can transfer a Magic Coat Sewaddle from gen 5 and level it up to get web. Unfortunately Sewaddle doesn't learn Knock Off and Leavanny doesn't get Sticky Web by level up so it's not the case for Knock Off. I prefer Leavanny because of its Speed, Magic Coat, and ability to beat Xatu and Ditto (you'll need to predict a bit), but the others are definitely worth it as well
Well, for hyper offensive Sticky Web teams, I suppose it would probably be better. However, I find that the best Sticky Web playstyle is bulky offensive. Hyper offensive just has too much to deal with in such an offensive metagame (offensive birds, priority, Shiftry, etc.) to be really, really effective. They often falter if they can't manage to keep up Sticky Web, which leads to huge sacrifices sometimes because you often HAVE to switch your spinblocker in against a spinner, even if it ends up dying. Meanwhile, bulkier Sticky Web teams function well with or without the hazard up; they just happen to function better with it.

Ever since it was first mentioned by horyzhnz , I've been interested Choice Scarf Malamar.

Malamar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spd
Jolly Nature
-Superpower
-Night Slash
-Destiny Bond / Topsy-Turvy
-Switcheroo

With the standard lefties set or even with ChestoRest, Malamar is pretty mediocre at best in the metagame right now. I've always thought there was some unused potential in Malamar, and after a quite a bit of using this set, I've come to conclude this is an amazing set for Malamar. Previously, I started using this with Topsy-Turvy as a an experiment to stop Calm Mind and Double Power Sigilyph, but as I continued using it, I've found it to be extremely useful, doubling as a sweeper and a revenge-killer at the same time.

The main problem with Malamar right now is its disappointing speed. It must almost always take a hit before dealing damage in return, and in conjunction with its mediocre bulk, takes a lot of built up damage; this often causes it to not do much during battles. Furthermore, with its poor typing that gives it no resistances, it finds a hard time forcing things out and setting up. However, most, albeit not all, of its problems are alleviated with a Choice Scarf.

This Malamar finds plenty of opportunities to get the ball rolling, unlike before. With its newfound speed, it KOs and boosts on weakened pokemon, thinking they outspeed it and are safe. With more defensively orientated teams where its speed is not as needed, it can cripple walls with Switcheroo and give itself free turns to set up. Then, it is much easier to keep the ball rolling because it now almost always attacks first before taking damage. In addition, with Malamar's typing giving it two uncommon weaknesses and the defense boosts from Superpower, it is almost never OHKO'ed by revenge killers. Destiny Bond can be used as a clutch stop to otherwise rampant threats, while Topsy-Turvy can stop setup sweepers like SD Feraligatr and Shiftry, NP Mismagius, or CM Spritomb without sacrificing itself. Night Slash is for coverage, hitting almost everything except for Granbull and Togetic.

While still a bit shaky as a sweeper due to the large amount of resists to Fighting, it does perform very well as a revenge killer. Unlike competitors, almost nobody excepts a scarfed Malamar which makes it do its job with a very high success rate. Also, it isn't complete setup bait after being locked into Superpower simply due to the fact that Superpower boosts Malamar's stats as well, pressuring pokemon trying to take advantage of it. Malamar also has the bonus of having Switcheroo, meaning it is not a completely liability against stall.

Still, Malamar has a whole slew of problems. The main downside is its inability to switch moves to hit Ghost- and Poison-types. Things like Ghost-types (especially Spritomb), bulky psychics like Musharna, Poison-types like Weezing, Vileplume and Draglage, Granbull, and Vivillon are common things that wall it. Physically bulky pokemon like Rhydon can also take a boosted Superpower or two and phaze with Dragon Tail. Poison-types and Ghost-types will still be detered due to the commonly run Psycho Cut and Night Slash (at least until they figure out its item). However, Malamar can at least permanently cripple these with Switcheroo or take them down with Destiny Bond, things that other sets fail to do. Malamar still needs a lot of team support to function, but I've found that Scarf Malamar will consistently return its share of the bargain, and is something I hope to see more insight on.

I'll try to post some replays, though I'll be quite busy over the weekend.

Hopefully this actually is new/creative.

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam/Freeze Dry/Toxic/whatever
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Reflect

This set was inspired by Reflect Tomohawk in CAP, and it uses Reflect to patch up Cryogonal's "sub-par" defenses. Other than that, it's pretty generic, but very effective when played well.

Hopefully this actually is new/creative.

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam/Freeze Dry/Toxic/whatever
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Reflect

This set was inspired by Reflect Tomohawk in CAP, and it uses Reflect to patch up Cryogonal's "sub-par" defenses. Other than that, it's pretty generic, but very effective when played well.
Reflect is very common on Cryogonal actually but 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD is the preferred EV Spread with the following moveset: Ice Beam or Freeze Dry / Rapid Spin / Recover / Reflect. 248 HP allows you to maximise Lefties and switch into SR 4 times, 168 lets you always live CB Spiri's sucker among other bs., and 92 SpD maximizes your other defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)