Apprentice Program: Round Eighty Six

Status
Not open for further replies.
Username: Jamiroquai
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username:Jamiroquai
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:GMT, 5pm-12pm
What tier do you want to learn?:XY OU
Tell us a little about yourself: Just finished my A-levels, heading off to university in September. Been playing since 4th Gen, was pretty good at that, each gen seems to be progressively worse for me. Have an understanding of the basics. Also, was regional TGC champion at 11 and placed 12th overall at that years national championship.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?:Yes
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?:Yes

Username: skrelp kings
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: skrelp kings
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: i am gmt +1 usually on anywher from 5-11pm, and summer holidays are coming up so i wont be as busy
What tier do you want to learn?: xy ou
Tell us a little about yourself: i started playing in gen 5 ou and i was breddy gud, but after not playing for a long time, ive come back to gen 6 ou and im not too good. all i really know about the meta is deoxys is a shit and baton pass is very. ive made maybe 4 decent xy ou teams so far (best one being hawlucha/dragonite/gardevoir/aegislash/rotom/garchomp). i know most of the basics of how to play, but i struggle at making teams and how to play vs some threats. my favourite pkmn is sudowoodo. also im a god at yugioh
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: ok
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: yes

YOU MUST PROVIDE A BRIEF EXPLANATION OF WHY YOU SHOULD BE TUTORED IF YOU HAVE FEWER THAN 25 POSTS.
i lurked the ou forums a lot in 5th gen and i was a very strong player and i could make good creative teams, but after not playing for ages i've lost my edge and really want to get good again because back in 5th gen when i was on form everyone i played vs got smacked and it was just pretty epic and i want to do it again!!

Last edited:
Augh doing this on my phone

Username: jin white
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: golurkk
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: very late nights, or evenings (EST, GMT-5)
What tier do you want to learn?: XYOU
Tell us a little about yourself: herro i'm jin i really like pokémon. i battle a bit but i'm not good at team building, and that's what i want to work on the most
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: absolutely
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: probably

Username: SoulSapphire

Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: SoulSapphire on Pokemon Showdown. (I don't use Pokemon Online or Shoddy Battle)
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT +8 7-9pm
What tier do you want to learn?:XY RU
Tell us a little about yourself:I've been playing competitive Pokemon and lurking on Smogon for about 1.5 years, so I know a lot about competitive Pokemon battling, but I don't do so well in actual battles (max GXE was 65%, never got above 1350 ELO). Hence, I came here. My short-term goal is to be able to vote in the next suspect test, while my longer-term goal is to get in the top 100 on the RU ladder.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?:Sure.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?:Definitely, I mean I'll probably lose in the first round, but it'll be a good experience.

YOU MUST PROVIDE A BRIEF EXPLANATION OF WHY YOU SHOULD BE TUTORED IF YOU HAVE FEWER THAN 25 POSTS:
I've been lurking on Smogon for more than a year now and know a lot about competitive Pokemon, so I know how all this works. It's not as if I'm a complete newbie. Aside from that, as I said I have a lot of knowledge about Pokemon Battling, but can never get it right in practise, so I'd like someone to tutor and instruct me on how I can become a better battler overall. Thanks.

Last edited:
Username: EmerldShuckle
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: same as username
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -8, unavailable Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday morning - midday as well as Thursday evening. Otherwise, I'm available all day.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU
Tell us a little about yourself: Well, I feel as though I'm a somewhat adequate player, mostly lingering in the 1500s somewhere (highest I've been on the new rating system is 1598), but I suck at teambuilding. I want to do this because I want to make teams more intelligently than just putting stuff that kinda sounds good together, and I feel like I've hit a plateau with my skill level and want to take it to the next level. I'm a pretty chill guy who's extremely willing to learn. Oh and my favorite pokemon is Shuckle (if you couldn't already tell).
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yes
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Absolutely, I love a good competition.

Username: Zack Church
Shoddy Username: Zack Church
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST and pretty much anytime
Tell us a little about yourself: I learned about comp battling about 6 months ago and I've been trying to learn it and learn good pokemon to use and always use smogon for this information. I have a pretty good idea of OU pokemon battling but I think taking this battling 101 will help me understand it more plus I would love to get invited to the pokemon world championship next year during alpha sapphire and omega ruby. Also I have been playing pokemon since Red and Blue when I was about 4 or 5
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Definitely
Are you interested in playing for the Round 81 Tutee Tournament?: Of Course

Last edited:
Username: AGuyYouDoNotKnow
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Recoil is Life
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: Pacific Standard Time; time kinda varies because I'm on vacation
Tell us a little about yourself: I started competitive battling this gen, and I' actually consider myself a pretty good XY OU player, but I know there's some things I can improve on. For one, my teambuilding skills are lacking, and I sometimes unnecessarily make risky plays that end up losing me the game. I'm signing up hoping to improve my teambuilding and my ability to make the right play when the situation fits itself.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?:Sure why not :]

Last edited:

Exeggutor

twist
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Username: Exeggutorial
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Exeggutorial
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: UTC-4:00; Summer break so online at almost all hours. Usually off from 1 AM to 10 AM on most days.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY UU
Tell us a little about yourself: My first games were Emerald and Diamond and, as my username implies, my favourite mon of all time is Exeggutor. I've been into competitive battling for around six months. I'm a driver in the Competitive Tutoring room, but I'm hoping to get some experience with tiers I have difficulty in, UU being a prime example. I have a bit of OU experience but I find that I have room to improve. Outside of PS, I'm a highschool student who enjoys IT, coding and spending my days crying at how I'll never be good at TF2.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Sure.

YOU MUST PROVIDE A BRIEF EXPLANATION OF WHY YOU SHOULD BE TUTORED IF YOU HAVE FEWER THAN 25 POSTS.

I'm an active member of the Competitive Tutoring room on PS and I'd like to be able to pass on the knowledge I've gained to newer players, as well as generally be an activate participant on PS and on Smogon in general. I enjoy playing Pokemon competitively and I'm a very willing learner.

Last edited:

SteelEdges

Banned deucer.
Username: SteelEdges
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: SteelEdges
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST - highly adaptable, willing to work with tutor
What tier do you want to learn?: XY NU, XY RU or both
Tell us a little about yourself: I enjoy writing, trivia, and reading. I live in a small town in Kentucky, and I'm a PS mod.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Yes

Username: MonadVirgil
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: MonadVirgil (showdown)
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: Central timezone, my hours are flexible.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU singles and possibly doubles.
Tell us a little about yourself: Been playing since gen one, started playing competitively since gen four. In my opinion I have been getting better after watching poketubers play, but I cannot seem to get past 1300's in the OU singles ladder. My lack of skill was not prevalent to me until I tried to play in the suspect ladder, thats when my lack of skill was obvious, i was being outplayed left and right, I could only beat people who had no idea what they were doing or were running incredibly gimmicky teams, the skill I would learn here would not go to waste. I will use everything I learn to help teach other pokemon players these strats (may it be through the smogon forums or irl) and give back to the community as much as I can in return for being given such an opportunity.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Of course!
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Bring it, yo!

YOU MUST PROVIDE A BRIEF EXPLANATION OF WHY YOU SHOULD BE TUTORED IF YOU HAVE FEWER THAN 25 POSTS: Well, my 'about me' pretty much covers it. I am not just looking to get good and leave forever, I want to get better so I can give back to the community that I have been lurking on for so long and help foster the amazing experience that is competitive pokemon!

Last edited:
Username: DarkOwl
Pokemon Showdown Username: Noob2pokemon/Perman00b@pokemon(I'm using the account in bold italics at the moment)
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: UTC or GMT -5(not really familiar with the time zone formats) My internet is acting up, but I'll try to be on 12:00 pm -10:30 pm. 3:00 pm - 7:00 pm on weekends.
What tier do you want to learn? XY OU / XY UU / XY Doubles
Tell us a little about yourself: I played Pokemon since 1st generation up to current. I got interested in competitive battle around gen 5 but I only learned about Ev training and
Iv breeding. It was around this gen I wanted to try out competitive battling, but I learned that playing my casual way and playing competitively are two big different things. I want to be able to get better at playing Pokemon competitively. Also I have a short fuse when I lose a battle, so if I'm partnered up with a mentor, please bare with my quick temper.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: On second thought, no thanks

I want to learn how to play Pokemon competitively, understand how to use a Pokemon's role effectively, understand the tiers, what Pokemon counters/checks another Pokemon, and I also want to learn how to predict what the other player will do. I'm on Pokemon Showdown about almost everyday.

Last edited:
Username: malefic
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: malefic
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT+8, 9pm-12am weekdays, generally free on weekends
What tier do you want to learn?: XY Doubles
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm trying to acquaint myself with all XY tiers. So far I'm comfortable with Ubers, OU, and UU. I'm currently also picking up RU, so I figured I'd take some load off myself and consult someone experienced for Doubles metagame knowledge and teambuilding. It's worth noting that Doubles is the only tier I didn't play in Gen 5, so there's probably a lot I need to learn.
Will you be willing to do tutee talkthreads on your tutors?: Yes
Are you interested in playing for the Round 85 Tutee Tournament?: No

(I was skipped in the previous round)

Username: Maxite
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Maxite
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: CST (GMT-6). Usually 6PM-12AM.
Tell us a little about yourself: Been playing Pokemon since Red and Blue. I've slowly gotten more and more into the competitive scene. Lately I've been hitting a wall and not seeing any improvement, so I'm hoping to learn some useful tips and ideas from more experienced veterans.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Sure
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Sure

hi i keep coming back here

Username: TRC
Age: Like I said, the only thing this could possibly help with is a) better matching between ages and b) finding people to coppa ban. I'd rather be matched with someone good than someone who is close to my age.
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: TRC
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT +12 whenever mostly but usually afternoon/evenings + weekends
What tier do you want to learn?: XY Ubers / DPP OU
Tell us a little about yourself: done this before (two rounds ago) but there wasn't rly much that happened at all, two tiers in smogon tours that I want to get good at, ubers is priority because i want to be able to play the tier when grand slam happens but i still want to learn dpp for tour + i just want to.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: ye i forgot last time :o
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: n

Username:dhn
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username:musicforthedeaf
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:gmt +9 , weekday nights and weekends
What tier do you want to learn?:XY OU
Tell us a little about yourself:I used to play BW UU and love it. Interested in getting better at XY OU for now. Have a deep interest in stall thus expecting a tutor who has lots of knowledge in that area. Also a bit interested in trick room, gravity, and other gimmick team. In general, I would like to explore a more unorthodox approach to the game and I believe this way, I can learn the game as whole.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: I don't see a reason not to.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: yes, would be a nice experience

Username: Rot1nPieces
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Rot1nPieces
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST, mostly nights and evenings, can schedule times and I'm pretty flexible.
Tell us a little about yourself: I've been playing Pokemon since the original Red and Blue, but never really got into battling other than my friends. Been getting into competitive gaming more and more now with League of Legends, DotA and SC2, so I want to try this one as well (replacing some of those other ones). Right now I'm going to college (went late because I went to the military for a while) and working part time.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yes, but to be honest, I have no idea what that is.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Yes, that would actually be kind of awesome!

I was skipped in Round 85 -- My tutor failed to show up/message me back. Messaged you about it when the thing started

Last edited:
Username: soviet
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: soviet
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: est
What tier do you want to learn?: xy ou
Tell us a little about yourself: im a big fan of sonic fan fics (if u want to see some i've written pm me)
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: yes
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: yes

Username: Bostonl1
Pokemon Showdown: bostonl1
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST - my work schedule changes weekly, but I will have plenty of time every day for availiability.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU, XY UU?
Tell us a little about yourself: Not much has changed since last time. I have been in love with Pokemon games ever since I got my cousins used Silver version for my birthday, even though I asked for Ruby. Regardless, I got much enjoyment out of it and got hooked. I never got into competitive battling until I discovered Smogon a few months ago. With access to PS, my eyes were opened to a whole new side of Pokemon. I struggled a bit, but I began to pick up on a few ideas and eventually became pretty decent. But I always strive to better myself; not settle for average or mediocrity. Thus I find myself here, hoping to improve my ability in the XY OU landscape. I've also taken an interest in UU, but I'm much more invested in the OU tier.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yep.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Most definitely.
Why I should be tutored?: My lack of posts is not caused by a lack of knowledge. Rather, it is simply because I am probably not the most qualified to help others better themselves. I can try to give aid to others, and I have before, but I am currently skimming the forums and, while I am not actively taking part in the forums, I am gleaming information from them so that I may one day be confident in my ability to partake in helping out the community.

I was skipped last round.

Username: Inevitability
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: IN AGONIZING PAIN
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -7; usually 6 pm - 3 am
Tell us a little about yourself: Hello Smogon mentors, my name is Inevitability. I am a 20 year old college students who will be majoring in communications. While I am by no means new to competitive battling, I feel that I have reached a peak as far as how "good" I can get as a competitive battler. This is the reason I am here. I feel that I have a lot more potential that I can tap in to with the help of a mentor since I tend to learn best when being taught on a 1-1 basis. I have a strong desire to gain the skills needed to be able to top the overused leaderboards and possibly compete in tournaments such as SPL. Hopefully I get selected. Thanks for you time.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Yes
Under 25 Posts: Well, what can I say? I am a lurker when it comes to the forums. When browsing through discussions or RMT forums, I just go to get some insight of the discussion. I don't really feel that I have anything to say that hasn't already been mentioned by another user. I'll be sure to engage myself more in the community in the future.

Username: Parttimenoob
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Parttimenoob
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: european central time; GMT+1. usually available between 5 and 8 pm, unsteady because of sports, internet connection. Hours can be found together in my schedule.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU, also interested in other metas, especially BW OU and XY-anything not dominated by megas.
Tell us a little about yourself: had a longer explanation, but not available right now. Shortform: im new, want to learn, have been playing BW OU, mostly defensive player, bad at teambuilding, loves mixed defensive tentacruel. Really would love a tutor
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: dont know what that is but yes!
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: yes, most definitly. I would love to go up against the other newcomers, seeing how i evolved.

As mentioned earlyer by others, i dont have as many posts, because i seem to not be constructive enough in a discussion. Will change over time getting more knowlegde. I also dont have many posts because im relativly new. I did whatsoever lurk around here as an anonymous, and had an account earlyer, but that one kind of got lost. Want to make more posts, but the things i want to say mostly are covered already.

Last edited:
Username: s_aman
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: s_aman
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT+5:30. I can play any 2-3 hours from 11am to 7pm according to my time.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY NU, XY Ubers, XY LC, XY Doubles, DPP OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I wanna play all tiers. I am above average at OU and RU and decent at UU. People say that DPP was the most enjoyable tier. So, i wanna learn that too.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yup
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Can't yet say :)

Username: Repeater1947
Pokemon Showdown Username: Repeater1947
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT +8; available nearly everyday (except Wednesdays and Fridays); usually on 4:00 PM - 6:30 PM (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday), and on 2:00 PM - 6:00 PM (Saturday and Sunday).
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU (preferred); also interested in XY UU
Tell us a little about yourself: I am from the Philippines. I love playing video games and having fun. I hardly ever played Pokemon when I was a little kid, during the Gen III/IV era. However, I became a true Pokemon fan since January 2013. Then I learnt about Smogon and competitive battling on April/May 2013. I've played a lot of battles in Gen 5 OU in Pokemon Showdown. I am now willing to learn XY OU. Although, my limited knowledge on Gen 6 is a drawback, so I won't be able to recognize many of the Gen 6 Pokemon. Unfortunately, I still don't have a copy of Pokemon X/Y nor a 3DS. Despite this, I am still a fast learner, and also is able to learn more about Gen 6 easily.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yes, I will!
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Yeah, why not?
YOU MUST PROVIDE A BRIEF EXPLANATION OF WHY YOU SHOULD BE TUTORED IF YOU HAVE FEWER THAN 25 POSTS:
I am not a Smogon newbie, as I spent a long time in Gen 5 metagame, and I have lurked in the forums for a long time now. But I am relatively new to the XY metagame, and I require help when learning it. In addition, one of my weaknesses is team-building. I'm not really that good on building my team. In addition, I should learn more about the opponent's prediction and reaction to different situations. I am willing to learn more about the metagame.

Last edited:
Username: SovernLord
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: The Last Lucario
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT-6 US mountain time. Usually available during the day or at night.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY: Ou Uu Ru Nu Ru
Tell us a little about yourself:I have been playing pokemon since I was old enough to hold a game boy since yellow. The whole competitive thing is new to me and out of curiosity I want to learn as much as I can I am a very quick learner and a type chart expert. I am a fun loving guy up until I need to get down to business.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: I am oblivious as to what that means but I can when I am on.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: no
I want to be better being a pokemon battler seems to be a way of life for most fans and I want to join their ranks. I am a hard working pokemon trainer I have been since yellow and like most who take down the Elite 4 they want more afterwards. I am looking for why people enjoy battling other people and I want to experience it myself.

Last edited:
I was skipped in round 84 (and did not apply for round 85 due to unavailability)

Username
: DSM01
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown Username: DSM01
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -8, available in the evenings (just to throw a time out there I'll say 6 PM - 12 AM)
What tier do you want to learn?: DPP OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I've been playing competitively since the tail end of 4th gen and recently decided to pick up HGSS OU again. To give an idea of my skill level, I can easily ladder up to the top 10 on PO (where I usually play) in whatever tier interests me at the moment. I'm historically a balanced player but have been experimenting with stallier teams as of late. Ubers has always been my favorite and best tier and I generally dislike the standardization and overly offensive nature of OU (at least in BW and XY). HGSS OU seems to be a relatively balanced (albeit highly centralized) tier and I like that stall is strong enough to consistently beat me. As I said before I'm a pretty solid player and can usually pick up on different metagames quickly enough, but for some reason HGSS OU eludes me and I'm absolutely atrocious at it. I would prefer a tutor who is very confident in their abilities and whose playstyle matches mine. Although I have fewer than 25 posts here, I have 500+ on PO and I'm not some rando that wandered onto Showdown last week.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: N/A

Username: Bard of Rage
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Bard of Eon
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: UTC (+12:00) Usually from around 4pm to 8pm barring Mondays and Wednesdays, but with school holidays in about a week that should go up.
What tier do you want to learn?: XY UU
Tell us a little about yourself: I've been playing Pokemon since Gen III and made some awful attempts at EV Training and teambuilding in Gens IV and V, but only really got involved in Gen VI, and built myself a team for the New Zealand Regionals this year. I've been lurking on Smogon for some time now, and have had many a battle on Showdown. I am quick to pick up new metagames, making the shift from OU to VGC with relative ease. I'm eager to try out a range of strategies and Pokemon, with a particular interest for Pokemon that don't usually see much time in the spotlight, hence Zygarde featuring in the first OU team I ever built. However, I know enough to know when a Pokemon in underrated and when it is just plain terrible.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yes.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 86 Tutee Tournament?: Yes.
As I mentioned before, I'm not new to Smogon or competitive battling, so my tutor wouldn't need to waste time teaching me basics. I've always been fast to learn, and have had a passion for the game since a young age. Once I build up more experience I plan to become a larger contributor towards Smogon, and I believe this would help me along that path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)