Other Silly Things You've Seen On The OU Ladder: V2

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-136014241
At first, I thought this guy's team was pretty much legit.

That is, until I found out that he was running FLAMETHROWER BLISSEY.

I tried convincing him that 90 non-STAB BP coming off of 75 base SpAtk. isn't viable, but he said it was to catch Scizor users off guard (why anyone would switch Scizor into Blissey as their wallbreaker, I have no clue). Even after I demonstrate how Blissey's Flamethrower fails to even catch an OHKO on a mon that's 4x weak to it, he still wouldn't budge. Ah well, noobs will be noobs, even in 1400+ ladder ranking.
While Flamethrower/Fire blast coming off a pretty bad base 75 seems weird, it prevents blissey from being walled by gengar, special Aegislash, Skarmory and a couple of other things that Blissey might stay in on, while also giving it an offensive option that kind of hurts switch ins such as scizor, ferrothorn and others. Emphasis on gengar, I run a stall team with blissey, and blissey can take an infinite number of hits from that thing, but there's literally nothing you can do while staying in on gengar except for the occasional softboiled.

Plus, I'm pretty sure flamethrower/fire blast is recommended as an option in a set somewhere on smogon itself.
Quote below is from http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/blissey . Keep in mind this is from gen 5, but it still applies, somewhat...

smogon said:
Flamethrower hits most Steel-types immune to Toxic hard, such as Forretress, Scizor, and Ferrothorn, and makes Blissey a better counter to Venusaur. Fire Blast can be used in place of Flamethrower to 2HKO Skarmory and Ferrothorn, but its measly amount of PP is an issue for a defensive Pokemon.
EDIT: Inb4 people call me out for still using blissey YEAH I KNOW IT ISN"T GEN 4 ANYMORE I just want something that isn't completely wrecked by knock off.

Last edited:

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus
Why is aguav berry so popular like oh my goodness, I have seen so many battles with teams holding only aguav berries. I mean I never even heard of the darn berry until Showdown.

Also some weird stuff i saw:
Howl Ninetales setting up on a sleeping Rotom-Wash (it has Hypnosis too), even on the turn it'd wake up.
Rain dance Quagsire on a non-rain team
Fabulous mono-pink, featuring fabulous movesets like Ice Punch Blissey; Gravity, Sweet Kiss Wigglytuff; MORE AGUAV BERRIES; Dazzling Gleam Slurpuff; http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-136075207
A Dunsparce, it was really cute though.

Also I missed a Will-O-Wisp and two Toxics in a row trying to hit ONE Pokemon and it made me sad. :I
On that note, the person i was fighting against KNEW i was trying to spam toxic on him and didn't think to switch in to his Aegislash, which also can't be hit by normal type moves. Instead, he stays his Salamence in on my 4x Defense Furfrou trying to Dragon Claw away. He forfeited when his Salamence died.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
wrong gen but http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5ou-136076337

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-136014241
At first, I thought this guy's team was pretty much legit.

That is, until I found out that he was running FLAMETHROWER BLISSEY.

I tried convincing him that 90 non-STAB BP coming off of 75 base SpAtk. isn't viable, but he said it was to catch Scizor users off guard (why anyone would switch Scizor into Blissey as their wallbreaker, I have no clue). Even after I demonstrate how Blissey's Flamethrower fails to even catch an OHKO on a mon that's 4x weak to it, he still wouldn't budge. Ah well, noobs will be noobs, even in 1400+ ladder ranking.
This is standard lol

Yesterday I encountered the worst guy ever on Showdown

I had a Sigilyph as my last pokemon at max def and def spe, then my opponent sent a sableye. Neither of us could KO so I was going to PP waste him (cosmic power has enough PP to do so). Seeing it coming, my opponent started to taaaaaaake his time (150 seconds for every turn it's kinda boring ). So I started watching a video on Youtube on another window, well decided not to let him win this cheap way. And for a reason, after roughly ten minutes of sarcastically intense fight, my opponent let the time pass so much he forgot to enter his command and lost to inactivity^^

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-136081410
One of the players is called "ThisIsATroll"
GG
Electro Ball Manectic
Thunder Rotom-W
Healing Wish Latias, who used it on a 80% Latios.
Instead of say, the fucking Rotom-W
Sash Counter Blissey
Cottonee
Hell, just the entire team of ThisIsATroll
The chat. Was awesome.
F.E.A.R. Rattata actually doing something XD
ThisIsATroll actually pulling off a comeback. GG

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-136102054
- Shuckle trying to Toxic a Whimsicott after it set up Safeguard.
- Safeguard Whimsicott in first place
- Shuckle not switching out after being Encored
- Shuckle without Sticky Web (it has ONE niche, if you're going to use Shuckle in OU, at least run SW)
- Rapidash in OU (Whimsicott and Shuckle are borderline viable too)
- Marowak in OU
- Using Chansey as death fodder

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-136100830
- Weakness Policy + PuP + Rock Polish Golem. Sadly, Priority exists.
- Charge Beam Manectric
- Wait, Charge Beam Non Mega Manectric
- Swellow in OU
- 3 Dragon types in the same team (one of them being Flygon)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-136101999
- Starter team
- Quick Attack Sceptile. Gotta Go Fast
- Shadow Sneak Greninja. See above.
- Also, physical Greninja
- With Dark/Ghost coverage.
- Using Shadow Sneak instead of Dark Pulse after being burned. Amazing
- Spamming Mystical Fire against Milotic : 1) Do you know Type Chart ? 2) Competitive trololol

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-136125659

When a Hippowdon sweeps half of your team and it's only attacking move is EQ, you know you have a problem.

On another battle...
Turn 18
You have 150 seconds to make your decision.

Aegislash, come back!

Go! Azumarill!

The opposing Scrafty used Crunch!
It's not very effective... Azumarill lost 28.4% of its health!
Turn 19

The opposing Scrafty used Dragon Dance!
The opposing Scrafty's Attack rose!
The opposing Scrafty's Speed rose!

Azumarill used Play Rough!
It's super effective! The opposing Scrafty ate its Roseli Berry!
The opposing Scrafty lost 95% of its health!

The opposing Scrafty fainted!

Scrafty setting up in front of an Azumarill. why? he has a roseli berry of course

Last edited:
Obviously running Quick Claw to (potentially) beat opposing E-Speed Arcanine, which at times can grab you the kill and proceed to sweep through the remaining Registeel/Gloom/Paras/Remoraid/whatever.

Learn to metagame bro.
And this is why the "silly police" in this thread are terrible.

(Unless sarcasm, in which case, bravo to you.)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-136193148
so, this guy randomly challenges me just out of nowhere. (i'm assuming he got my name from me sitting in the lobby or OMs since if i'm online i lurk both.) i'm not sure what was running through his head tbh.

features:
-hyper beam /draco meteor tyrantrum
-giga impact sylveon
-dark pulse krookodile

seriously, i'm still really, really confused about what happened here.

Why is aguav berry so popular like oh my goodness, I have seen so many battles with teams holding only aguav berries. I mean I never even heard of the darn berry until Showdown.

Also some weird stuff i saw:
Howl Ninetales setting up on a sleeping Rotom-Wash (it has Hypnosis too), even on the turn it'd wake up.
Rain dance Quagsire on a non-rain team
Fabulous mono-pink, featuring fabulous movesets like Ice Punch Blissey; Gravity, Sweet Kiss Wigglytuff; MORE AGUAV BERRIES; Dazzling Gleam Slurpuff; http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-136075207
A Dunsparce, it was really cute though.

Also I missed a Will-O-Wisp and two Toxics in a row trying to hit ONE Pokemon and it made me sad. :I
On that note, the person i was fighting against KNEW i was trying to spam toxic on him and didn't think to switch in to his Aegislash, which also can't be hit by normal type moves. Instead, he stays his Salamence in on my 4x Defense Furfrou trying to Dragon Claw away. He forfeited when his Salamence died.
I asked about that here recently, Aguav berry is one of the first items in alphabetical order on Pokemon Showdown. Some people just make teams in rush so they give random crap like Air Balloon (on non-Ground weak pokes obv), Absorb Bulb and Aguav Berry

Random Shit: Stoppage Time Edition
-A team consisting of 5 rock mons (including Rampardos and Carbink), and a seemingly random Thundurus.
-The other team had 5 dragons and Heatran. Almost monotype teams new meta.
-And the rock team won.
-Yet another Torterra.
-Assault Vest Greninja. Okay then.
-Just wow: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-136199172
-Jumpluff. (And an even worse one below.)
-A very likely offensive Air Balloon Steelix.
-Sunny Day Jumpluff, presumably with Chlorophyll. Gotta go fast.
-Speaking of gotta go fast, Salac Berry Garchomp. That immediately switched out after it activated.
-Smeargle trying to stack Stealth Rock.
-Normal Ampharos (with Dragon Pulse) getting a SmashPass sweep.
-Aegislash using Destiny Bond, followed immediately by King's Shield, against said Ampharos.
-Gurdurr.
-Non-Multiscale Dragonite.
-Milotic using Scald about a dozen times in one battle and not getting any burns. Reverse hax, I guess? Oddly enough, he still won 6-0.
-Skuntank Taunting a Xatu.
-Detect Hitmontop. Also, Hitmontop.
-A possible FEAR Smeargle.
-Sableye spamming Foul Play on Blissey.
-Samurott. With HYDRO CANNON.
-Magical Leaf+Acrobatics Sceptile.
-Double-Edge Sylveon.
-Golbat.
-Hitmonchan.
-Multiple bad things, some hax, and epic nap time around turn 17: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-136197112
-Ferrothorn trying to use Leech Seed on a Venusaur.
-Flame Charge Heatran. Gotta go fast, 77 base speed style.
-Electivire is bad. Mixed Electivire is worse. But using Volt Switch on said Electivire?
-Flamethrower+Mega Kick X-zard.
-Switching said X-zard out while rocks were up, it was at 1%, and you have no hazard control.
-Mixed normal Blastoise.
-Normal Aggron with both Heavy Slam and Iron Tail.
-Keeping said Aggron in on a SubPunch Breloom.
-Sacred Sword Keldeo.

Edit: Had a brainwave. Maybe we should compile a list of stupid stuff we see repeatedly (Torrent Greninja, Donphan, Ninjask, etc.) and share it with the world so maybe people will stop using those. Don't worry, we'll still have plenty of material for the thread. Or perhaps we could make the top 10 or whatever dumbest things ever seen ITT.

Last edited:
He just had to make that joke, didn't he? And you should use Tyrantrum for that anyway.

Random Shit: Biting Into Italian Things That Aren't Food Edition
-A team with Torterra and Luxray. I agree.
-Garchomp knowing Aegislash had KS... and using Fire Fang anyway. Because fuck Earthquake, right? Bad prediction.
-Defense Curl Chansey. I agree.
-Blissey using Toxic on a M-Alakazam that clearly had copied Poison Heal from Gliscor. This error is more common than you think. Forgetting what Ability Alakazam has gotten with Trace is relatively common, specially because Mega Alakazam is not that common.
-Foul Play Bisharp. Maybe they saw the 95 BP and didn0t learn that it works with your opponent attack.
-Repeatedly setting up on an opponent with Haze Crobat. I agree.
-Swampert using EQ on Gliscor. Gliscor hates Waterfall.
-Fake Out+Destiny Bond Smeargle. I don't know about this set, sorry.
-This is not how you do a mono bug team. My favorite: Quick Attack Speed Boost Yanmega. Gotta go fast: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-135942011 Speed Boost Yanmega has it's uses (of course, without Quick Attack, nor any physical move not named U-turn). Vivillon has uses in OU. The rest of the team does not.
-Quick Attack Scizor. If it's Technician, it's semi-viable to deal with types resistant to Bullet Punch.
-Uxie. It's not that bad, to be honest. Great defenses + great support movepool (inclufding hazards, screens, Thunder Wave) makes usable by the right team.
-Noctowl. With Double-Edge. I agrew with both.
-Sludge Bomb Scolipede. I agree.
-Dazzling Gleam Florges. Someone apparently doesn't know about Moonblast. I understand Sylveon and Mega Gardevoir with Moonblast because people fail to understand about Hyper Voice. But please, not Dazzling Gleam.
-Hydro Cannon M-Blastoise. I agree. Also, Hydro Cannon is not boosted by Mega Launcher.
-Yet another Electivire. I agree.
-Lilligant. I agree.
-Medicham using High Jump Kick on Aegislash. King's Shield be damned. It'0s not silly at all. In fact, it's what Medicham should do if he face an Aegislash in Blade Forme.
-M-Gardevoir with both Hyper Voice and Hyper Beam. Has it's uses.
-Yet another Donphan. Donphan is not comparable to te rest of the trash around.

Turn 15

Talonflame used Brave Bird!
The opposing Dart lost 64% of its health!
Talonflame is damaged by recoil!

Talonflame fainted!

The opposing Dart used Swords Dance!
The opposing Dart's Attack sharply rose!

The opposing Dart restored HP using its Black Sludge!

Go! Scizor (Scizor-Mega)!
Turn 16

Scizor used Bullet Punch!
The opposing Dart lost 26% of its health!

The opposing Dart used Venoshock!
It doesn't affect Scizor...

EPIC FAIL
Dart is Drapion btw

Last edited:
-A team consisting of 5 rock mons (including Rampardos and Carbink), and a seemingly random Thundurus. I agree.
-The other team had 5 dragons and Heatran. Almost monotype teams new meta. Monotype teams are used in the Ou ladder to train in a ladder that guarantee battles when they wish.
-Yet another Torterra. I agree.
-Assault Vest Greninja. Okay then. Assault Vest isn't usable oin Greninja.
-Jumpluff. (And an even worse one below.) Jumpluff had it's uses in metagames where Sun is viable.
-A very likely offensive Air Balloon Steelix. I agree.
-Speaking of gotta go fast, Salac Berry Garchomp. That immediately switched out after it activated. Exist better items for Garchomp.
-Smeargle trying to stack Stealth Rock. I agree.
-Normal Ampharos (with Dragon Pulse) getting a SmashPass sweep. What items that Ampharos have and for what purpose?
-Gurdurr. I agree.
-Non-Multiscale Dragonite. I agree.
-Milotic using Scald about a dozen times in one battle and not getting any burns. Reverse hax, I guess? Oddly enough, he still won 6-0. The thread is not about commenting bad hax. Because it so, we can include how Tyranitar faled a Stone Edge 3-4 times in a row as a silly set.
-Skuntank Taunting a Xatu. This is RU?
-Detect Hitmontop. Also, Hitmontop. Hitmontop could have some niche before, but not now. At least, in OU.
-Sableye spamming Foul Play on Blissey. With 40 Attack it's going to do much against someone who has 714 HP.
-Samurott. With HYDRO CANNON. What is this?
-Magical Leaf+Acrobatics Sceptile. I agree.
-Double-Edge Sylveon. Pixilate doesn0t justify using physical moves like that.
-Golbat. I agree.
-Hitmonchan. I agree.
-Ferrothorn trying to use Leech Seed on a Venusaur. Something it happen.
-Flame Charge Heatran. Gotta go fast, 77 base speed style. Has it's uses. However, Heatran doesn't have slots for that.
-Electivire is bad. Mixed Electivire is worse. But using Volt Switch on said Electivire? Volt Switch Electivire will be decent if Electivire was actually good in OU.
-Flamethrower+Mega Kick X-zard. Flamethrower (although given the case I prefert Fire Blast or even Overheat) is viable on Charizard-X. The reason to use Special moves is to bypass Rocky Helmet and co. Even special set are viable on MCharizard-Xas a massive lure. I agreew with Mega Kick, though.
-Switching said X-zard out while rocks were up, it was at 1%, and you have no hazard control. This things happen more frequently that it may sound. Specially for not losing momentum and/or abusing som,e abilities like Flash Fire.
-Mixed normal Blastoise. I agree.
-Normal Aggron with both Heavy Slam and Iron Tail. In Mega Aggron, it could have it's use, but not on Aggron, with Stoned Ege getting STAB. Also, using Aggron without Aggronite in OU.
-Keeping said Aggron in on a SubPunch Breloom. And not only, that, but fighting a pokemon with such big advantage?
-Sacred Sword Keldeo. It's common to see because coinfusuion between Sacred Sword and Secret Sword But I remind to you that Sacred Sword Terrakion, Virizion or Cobalion are viable in their tiers. Yes, Sacred Sword Terrakion is viable, even with lose Combat.

Edit: Had a brainwave. Maybe we should compile a list of stupid stuff we see repeatedly (Torrent Greninja, Donphan, Ninjask, etc.) and share it with the world so maybe people will stop using those. Don't worry, we'll still have plenty of material for the thread. Or perhaps we could make the top 10 or whatever dumbest things ever seen ITT.

-Assault Vest Greninja. Okay then.
DeterWeaney withdrew Trevor (Trevenant)!

DeterWeaney sent out Greninja!

Mandibuzz used Knock Off!
It's not very effective... The opposing Greninja lost 9% of its health!
Mandibuzz knocked off the opposing Greninja's Assault Vest!

The sunlight faded.
Mandibuzz restored HP using its Leftovers!
Mandibuzz was hurt by its burn!

We could make both

For the repeated silly stuff: non-mega Charizard, Non-mega Physical Charizard, Sacred Sword Keldeo. Maybe I'll add more later

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)