Almost Any Ability XY (Suspect Over: Weavile banned, Keldeo Stays)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way to have a solid defensive backbone and yet have enough offensive presence to break through opposing stallers? Or does it usually wind up being whoever brings the better stall team wins? I'm fairly new to this, and I don't really play much stall either :/

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Colossus, I played the whole time it was OMOTM. I can say from my experience that stuff like Poison Heal Deoxys-D, Cursed Body Milotic, and Pranskster Dusclops holding eviolite can stall almost anything between recover and pain split. Stall is one part of the equation... When facing walls of this sort you need to bring along Wall Breakers.
There are quite a few abilities that when given to the right pokemon can make them incredibly fierce attackers... When I played AAA Infernape was one of my go-to wall breakers. It can run physical or special sets, with boosting moves that can bring which ever aspect up two stages in one turn. Nasty plot or swords dance, take your pick. If physical I suggest the ability adaptability for some extra powerful moves, if special give it no guard for never miss focus/fire blast. The physical set is more powerful and the special set is less expected. Let it hold a sash and it will for sure break walls with physical/special priority to take out whatever doesn't go down with one shot. Stall is a great strategy but a well balanced team can stall and break opposing stall teams down simultaneously.

Having something like a magnet pull poke or pursuit can also help trap and kill things works wonders against stall, enabling you to take out specific threats.

Is there a way to have a solid defensive backbone and yet have enough offensive presence to break through opposing stallers? Or does it usually wind up being whoever brings the better stall team wins? I'm fairly new to this, and I don't really play much stall either :/
My AAA stall team ran both CM Magic Bounce Cresselia and CM Unaware Suicune. Both are solid defensive pokemon that are integral to the success of the team (the former bouncing back status, taunts, and hazards, and the latter stopping setup sweepers), but together they're also my win condition. Typically even if one can't sweep, it's likely the other can, as each has an entirely different set of checks due to their typing and abilities.

Having something like a magnet pull poke or pursuit can also help trap and kill things works wonders against stall, enabling you to take out specific threats.
Magnet Pull is good for sure, but if you're relying on steels to check things you should also be prepared to deal with losing them to Magnet Pull. For example I stopped running AV Regenerator Metagross because he's too easily turned into Magnet Pull bait, whereas Levitate Aegislash is immune to trapping. Things like Ferrothorn and Skarmory can run Shed Shell, though the lack of leftovers or rocky helmet can be disappointing when you go 20+ matches without running into a single magnet puller. Pursuit is a bit more reliable and works on a wider variety of threats.

Honestly if you're playing balance or offense and having trouble with stall teams, try a strong Mold Breaker set up sweeper like Swords Dance Terrakion or Garchomp or Tail Glow Manaphy. Mold Breaker will allow you to tear through the unaware wall on their team which puts alot more pressure on their team to find a good check to your set up sweeper when their primary answer to it is made unviable. Mold Breaker Taunters and Spikes/SR users are also really good vs stall because they go through Magic Bounce.

(and every good stall team should have an unaware poke and a magic bouncer).

My AAA stall team ran both CM Magic Bounce Cresselia and CM Unaware Suicune. Both are solid defensive pokemon that are integral to the success of the team (the former bouncing back status, taunts, and hazards, and the latter stopping setup sweepers), but together they're also my win condition. Typically even if one can't sweep, it's likely the other can, as each has an entirely different set of checks due to their typing and abilities.

Magnet Pull is good for sure, but if you're relying on steels to check things you should also be prepared to deal with losing them to Magnet Pull. For example I stopped running AV Regenerator Metagross because he's too easily turned into Magnet Pull bait, whereas Levitate Aegislash is immune to trapping. Things like Ferrothorn and Skarmory can run Shed Shell, though the lack of leftovers or rocky helmet can be disappointing when you go 20+ matches without running into a single magnet puller. Pursuit is a bit more reliable and works on a wider variety of threats.

Honestly if you're playing balance or offense and having trouble with stall teams, try a strong Mold Breaker set up sweeper like Swords Dance Terrakion or Garchomp or Tail Glow Manaphy. Mold Breaker will allow you to tear through the unaware wall on their team which puts alot more pressure on their team to find a good check to your set up sweeper when their primary answer to it is made unviable. Mold Breaker Taunters and Spikes/SR users are also really good vs stall because they go through Magic Bounce.

(and every good stall team should have an unaware poke and a magic bouncer).
Actually Unaware is a lot less common than you make it out to be
Suicune usually has PH so if you want to have a check or possibly even counter to Suicune run an entrainment or similar mon

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Colossus, I played the whole time it was OMOTM. I can say from my experience that stuff like Poison Heal Deoxys-D, Cursed Body Milotic, and Pranskster Dusclops holding eviolite can stall almost anything between recover and pain split. Stall is one part of the equation... When facing walls of this sort you need to bring along Wall Breakers.
There are quite a few abilities that when given to the right pokemon can make them incredibly fierce attackers... When I played AAA Infernape was one of my go-to wall breakers. It can run physical or special sets, with boosting moves that can bring which ever aspect up two stages in one turn. Nasty plot or swords dance, take your pick. If physical I suggest the ability adaptability for some extra powerful moves, if special give it no guard for never miss focus/fire blast. The physical set is more powerful and the special set is less expected. Let it hold a sash and it will for sure break walls with physical/special priority to take out whatever doesn't go down with one shot. Stall is a great strategy but a well balanced team can stall and break opposing stall teams down simultaneously.
This is false

Dusclops is terrible, stall is more than great, it slays the entire meta and balance usually cannot break it.

PH Deo-D is a rare gimmick, same with Cursed Body Milotic.

Infernape is god awful, it gets walled by potent pokemon such as Victini and Cresselia and is mainly outclased by victini.

To all users reading this thread please do not use this as a source of info towards your whole AAA knowledge because 95% is incorrect or just plain stupid.

Monte Crist0: make a post about it since you're newest council
Alright so, since AAA applies standard OU clauses into the tier, and the baton pass clause (Baton Pass Clause: Limit 3 pokemon knowing Baton Pass) has recently been implemented into the OU tier, after some discussion me and Oi Monte have decided to apply the baton pass clause in AAA for the same reasons it was added in OU (uncompetitive, game decided on team matchup). While Scolipede remains the only speed boost user for baton pass teams to use, it was never really bad at its job, and the rest of the team directly benefits from AAA's rules to make it a nigh untouchable play style. Magic Bounce for example is no longer confined to the frail Espeon, and other abilities such as poison heal greatly help the chain stand up to attackers. Baton Pass directly benefited from the Aerilate ban as well, taking out Noivern, an otherwise extremely dangerous threat that could simply Boomburst right through substitutes and pose a massive threat to the chain from the get-go.

tl;dr - [Baton Pass Clause: Limit 3 pokemon knowing Baton Pass] now applies to AAA

Last edited:

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Alright so, since AAA applies standard OU clauses into the tier, and the baton pass clause (Baton Pass Clause: Limit 3 pokemon knowing Baton Pass) has recently been implemented into the OU tier, after some discussion me and Oi have decided to apply the baton pass clause in AAA for the same reasons it was added in OU (uncompetitive, game decided on team matchup). While Scolipede remains the only speed boost user for baton pass teams to use, it was never really bad at its job, and the rest of the team directly benefits from AAA's rules to make it a nigh untouchable play style. Magic Bounce for example is no longer confined to the frail Espeon, and other abilities such as poison heal greatly help the chain stand up to attackers. Baton Pass directly benefited from the Aerilate ban as well, taking out Noivern, an otherwise extremely dangerous threat that could simply Boomburst right through substitutes and pose a massive threat to the chain from the get-go.

tl;dr - [Baton Pass Clause: Limit 3 pokemon knowing Baton Pass] now applies to AAA
he is indeed council and I do approve of this message :]

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
I was curious if a high critical hit ratio, such as the move night slash, would count as a secondary effect.
Would Sheer Force boost a move like that but negate the chance for a crit?
Would Serene Grace enhance the chance for a crit?

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
I was curious if a high critical hit ratio, such as the move night slash, would count as a secondary effect.
Would Sheer Force boost a move like that but negate the chance for a crit?
Would Serene Grace enhance the chance for a crit?
Crits are not secondary effects as we've learned ever since gen 5 from sheer force stone edge not working

Ursaring @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush/Swift Swim/Clorophyll/There's a Hail type of that ability?
Adamant
EVs: 252Atk 4Spd 252Spe

Return
Close Combat
Earthquake
Fire Punch

Fast Ursaring Finally

Actually, that sounds like a good set for my sun team. I would hate to replace Chlorophyll Terrakion though... Also, what happens with Mega Evolution abilities? Do they stay like normal?

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
When you mega evolve the ability is defaulted to the normal one, so when using a pokemon who mega evolves you should go for an ability which gives an instant advantage... Like when I was running a mixed attacking Abomasnow I gave it download to get an attack/special attack boost before mega evolving and activating snow warning.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
This is a great pivot, Jolteon can run almost the same set with a little more speed and a little less power but has less bulk and doesn't have access to Aura Sphere.

Raikou @ Choice Specs
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Aura Sphere
- Shadow Ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)