Balanced Team

Aromatisse or Xatu?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Galladium

Banned deucer.
Hi everyone, I'm Galladium and this is my first RMT. There are two versions of this team, one has Aromatisse, and the other one has Xatu.

/

In depth:

Gallade @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade / Fire Punch / Shadow Sneak

Gallade is my favourite Pokemon (of course), and this particular set was what inspired me to create this team. I've tried Swords Dance Gallade and Assault Vest Gallade before, but the problem always was that even though Gallade has good Special Defense, it's Defense really lets it down. However, I knew that Gallade could learn Bulk Up, so I paired it with Substitute, and found it worked really well. The idea is, Gallade comes in on a Burned Physical attacker (courtesy of Banette) or a Taunted wall that relies on Special attacks for damage (such as Amoonguss, also courtesy of Banette), and use Substitute on the switch / weak Special attack. This also has the effect of protecting Gallade from Status. Once the Substitute is up, Gallade begins to Bulk Up, increasing both his Attack and longevity, as it already has good Special Defense. Once Gallade has Bulked Up a couple of times (Substituting again when needed), it begins to rain down Close Combats on any Pokemon that is unlucky enough to be in at the time. Leaf Blade / Fire Punch / Shadow Sneak are for coverage, but as of now, I am unsure which works better. Although it generally does not last the match, Gallade is generally able to KO quite a few of the opponent's Pokemon before going down.

Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sucker Punch

I've always really like Mega Banette (Prankster Taunt + Destiny Bond is really fun), and when I was thinking of Pokemon that can support Gallade, there seemed to be no excuse not to include it in my team. Taunt and Destiny Bond are pretty standard on Banette, Taunt shuts down walls, whilst Destiny Bond kills Setup Pokemon that are halfway through a sweep. The last two slots are where it gets more interesting. All forms of Gallade really appreciate a burned Physical Attacker, so I included Will-O-Wisp. As for the last move, Sucker Punch enables Banette to revenge kill weakened Pokemon (especially after a Taunt), and does a lot of damage to Jolteon, who for some reason, is often sent in against a predicted Will-O-Wisp. After taking one round of Stealth Rock damage and Burn damage, Jolteon is KO'ed by Sucker Punch, whilst Shadow Sneak, despite having STAB, doesn't do near as much damage. Banette is also a good counter to Doublade, as after Doublade has revenged something, it can come in and Burn it with Will-O-Wisp (if it has not Swords Danced), or take it down with Destiny Bond (if it has Swords Danced).

Escavalier @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Drill Run

When building a team, I always try to incorporate at least one well-known core in it. I was reading the RU Cores thread, and noticed this core, Escavalier and Aromatisse.

Escavalier is really bulky, even before an Assault Vest, and so can switch in on and punish pretty much any Pokemon that lacks a Fire move. Although I haven't seen it as much recently, Overcoat protects it from Spore, and retaliate (only Grass-types use Spore) with Megahorn. The rest of the moves are pretty self-explanatory, STAB on Iron Head, coverage with Knock Off and Drill Run.

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpDef
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Forming the second half of this core comes Aromatisse. When fully invested, Aromatisse can pass 202 HP Wishes to my team. The other EV's are there so that Aromatisse can avoid a 2HKO from Life Orb Reckless Hi Jump Kick Hitmonlee. Aromatherapy is very beneficial to my team, as most of them don't like being Burned. Apart from that, I don't think this needs very much explanation.

Delphox @ Expert Belt
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Shadow Ball

So far, my team consisted of Physical attackers, so I added Delphox. I really don't like being Choice-locked and Life Orb recoil on top of a Stealth Rock weakness is annoying, so I chose Expert Belt, which complements it's already-good coverage and sometimes fools the opponent into thinking that I'm Scarfed. A Timid nature is used to outspeed other Delphox. That's all that needs explaining, really.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

This guy is a boss. Literally no Physical non-Grass or Water move can OHKO him, and he can retaliate back with an incredibly powerful Earthquake. My team has no other forms of hazards (apart from any hazards Xatu bounces back) so I gave him Stealth Rock. Earthquake and Stone Edge are standard on any Rhyperior, and Fire Punch lets it OHKO Escavalier / any other Fire-weak Pokemon. Before I included this guy, my team was very Braviary-weak, now I can't wait until it comes in (provided Rhyperior is still around). That's all I can think of at the moment.

Xatu @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psychic
- Roost

Yes, I know that Cresselia is generally better for Dual Screens, but Xatu currently has an important niche. RU is currently suspecting Shuckle (Sticky Web teams), and so I needed a counter if I was going to make any progress up the ladder. Bouncing back Sticky Web against teams that rely on it has won me games, as Sticky Web teams fall apart unless Sticky Web is on the opponent's side of the field. Apart from that, Dual Screens works really well, especially coming off base 95 Speed, and it can also do some damage with STAB Psychic.

The Dilemna
Once Sticky Web became so popular in RU, I knew I had to fit Xatu on my team. I swapped out Aromatisse, as I don't want too many support Pokemon, and I found I wasn't using it as much anyway. However, I am having lots of fun using Xatu, and am not sure whether I should keep it or swap Aromatisse back in once Shuckle is finally banned. That's the main reason I made this RMT, so I could get a professional opinion. So, I'd like to know whether I should keep Aromatisse or Xatu after the suspect has finished.

Checks/Counters
Unfortunately, I'm kind of bad at coming up with examples, but after numerous tests I've found that Doublade, Yanmega, Alomomola, and Braviary are the biggest threats. Doublade can destroy my team after a Swords Dance (after Banette has been removed), Yanmega is also a pain (unless I can Destiny Bond it), Alomomola is difficult to break through (one of the reasons I had Leaf Blade on Gallade), and Braviary is a monster after Banette and Rhyperior have been removed. I'm not really sure about anything else.

Anyway, thanks for reading, please let me know what you think!

Escavalier @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Drill Run

Gallade @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Close Combat
- Fire Punch

Delphox @ Expert Belt
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Shadow Ball

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpDef
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sucker Punch

Xatu @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psychic
- Roost

Last edited:
I think you should use Aromatisse because your Pokemon really don't enjoy getting burned. Xatu is good for bouncing hazards, but you have to predict a lot to be able to bounce them.

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
This team is really good. However, I have some suggestions that might improve your team.

Gallade:
I personally favor Swords Dance on Gallade instead of Bulk Up, but if you really want Bulk Up, you can keep it. The reason I don't like Bulk Up is because 99% of the time, Gallade uses Close Combat as its fighting STAB. Close Combat decreases your Defense and Special Defense by one stage when you use it. And because Bulk up increases attack and Defense by one stage, Close Combat gets rid of the defense boost. Also, because you mention that you want to increase Gallade's longevity, it seems ill-fitting to me to run Close Combat and Bulk Up. I would just go for Swords Dance to get more attack once you have a substitute up. Also, Shadow Sneak is better than Leaf Blade or Fire Punch. You also need to consider Psycho Cut on Gallade. It is his best psychic STAB because Zen Headbutt can miss. Night Slash can be a good move as well.

Mega-Banette:

I have no idea what to do with him. I don't think your only attacking move should be Sucker Punch. That's way too situational considering the rest of your moveset. Plus, Sucker Punch isn't a STAB move for Banette. Shadow Claw or Shadow Sneak can be a great move on Banette, preferably Shadow Claw. Shadow Claw can do immense damage. In my opinion, I don't like the idea of a mega-evolved Pokémon that should be "sweeping" should have the ability to use Destiny Bond to kill itself. I know it's standard on Banette, but he can be doing much more with another move, especially because it's your only mega Pokémon. I would recommend:

Banette: Banettite
--->

Ability: Prankster
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs: 248 HP, 252 Atk, 8 Spe
-Taunt
-Destiny Bond / Will-O-Wisp
-Sucker Punch
-Shadow Claw

Escavalier:

Your Escavalier is fine. There is no need to change it. If you don't want to run Assault Vest, you could replace it with Life Orb or Leftovers and switch one of your attacking moves (preferably Knock Off or Drill Run) for Swords Dance.

Delphox:

Your Delphox is OK. However, consider the move Calm Mind because it can help a lot with it's already potent Special Attack and Special Defense. You could replace it with Grass Knot because I feel it is the least needed move. Also, don't put the last 4 EVs into HP! This makes your HP an even number, so you will die in 4 switch-ins. Put the last 4 EV points in Special Defense so you could switch-in 5 times instead of 4. I like to run:

Delphox: Life Orb

Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk) / Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 SpD
-Calm Mind
-Fire Blast
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball / Substitute

Rhyperior:
First things first, you said, "This guy is a boss." Yes! Thank you. I love Rhyperior too. (If anyone has a list of top 10 favorite Pokémon Rhyperior is my 3rd favorite). However, your EVs... They can't work. You have Xatu/Aromatisse, which are supports, Delphox, which is a special sweeper, and Gallade, Banette, Escavalier, and Rhyperior, which are ALL physical sweepers. You can't have 4 physical sweepers. Therefore, you should turn Rhyperior into a physical wall. You already have a semi-special wall (Escavalier), and your team desperately needs a strong physical wall to help Gallade, Delphox, and Banette. Also, consider the move Dragon Tail. It is a great move for Rhyperior after you get Stealth Rocks up, as you can shuffle around the enemy team and make them all take Stealth Rock damage. Megahorn can throw people off sometimes. Also Aqua Tail can throw people off as well, and you can do a lot of damage to other Rhyperior. I think you should do this Rhyperior:

Rhyperior: Leftovers

EVs: 248 HP, 252 Def, 8 Spe
-Stealth Rock
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Fire Punch / Dragon Tail

Moves to Consider: Megahorn, Aqua Tail

Adamant gives you more attack power and the EVs make you a great physical wall. The 8 Speed EVs lets you out-speed other Rhyperior (I always see them when I play RU).

As for your last Pokémon, I think Aromatisse is better than Xatu. I know it's hard giving up a counter to Shuckle, but Aromatisse benefits your team. Aromatisse, as you said, can give 202 HP Wishes. Also, Aromatisse gives you that extra umph in Special Attack, which your team extremely and sorely needs. If you want, you can convert all of your Defense EVs into Special Defense because you already have Rhyperior and somewhat Escavalier. I can see a few options with Aromatisse on your team.

1). Support
Aromatisse: Leftovers

Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 SpA / 4 Spe / 4 Def
-Protect
-Wish
-Aromatherapy
-Moonblast

This is like the one you have, and it is a good support set

2). Trick Room
Aromatisse: Leftovers

Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
-Protect
-Wish
-Trick Room
-Moonblast

This set can work well because your team seems somewhat slow beside Delphox. However, this is probably the worst one out of the three movesets.

3). Calm Mind
Aromatisse:

Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
-Protect
-Calm Mind
-Thunderbolt
-Moonblast

This set can make Aromatisse another special sweeper as well as increase its Special Defense.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Physical Sweeper Alternatives:

If you want to change Gallade, Escavalier, and Banette for other physical sweepers just to try them out, I have come up with a few alternatives that you can choose from:

Physical Sweeper Alternatives Movesets:

Hitmonlee: Life Orb

Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
-Hi Jump Kick / Close Combat
-Mach Punch
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

Hitmonlee can be a good Fighting type physical sweeper.

Hitmonchan: Leftovers

Ability: Iron Fist
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Thunder Punch / Ice Punch
-Ice Punch / Mach Punch

This right here can be a good alternative to Gallade because Hitmonchan is kind of bulkier and can do more damage with Bulk Up + Iron Fist + Drain Punch combination. Drain Punch also allows him to heal.

Cinccino: Life Orb

Ability: Skill Link
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
EVs: 252 Spe, 252 Atk, 4 HP
-Tail Slap
-Rock Blast
-Bullet Seed / Aqua Tail
-U-Turn

This thing can be a monster with its Skill Link ability and all of the 2-5 turn moves it can use (Tail Slap, Rock Blast, and Bullet Seed).

Doublade: Leftovers

Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Def, 4 HP
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Claw / Shadow Sneak
-Iron Head
-Sacred Sword

Doublade can do a lot of damage once it gets to use at least one Swords Dance. However, Doublade is incredibly slow.

Durant: Life Orb

Ability: Hustle
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Hone Claws
-Iron Head
-X-Scissor
-Superpower

This is Durant's bread-and-butter set. It can also be a great alternative to Escavalier, but you lose out on the Special Defense Escavalier has as well as Assault Vest because of the only decent ability Durant has (Hustle) in exchange for Hone Claws and more speed.

Kabutops: Life Orb

Ability: Weak Armor
-Swords Dance
-Aqua Jet
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge

Kabutops can be an excellent physical sweeper. It is one of the best in the tier.

Sharpedo: Life Orb

Ability: Speed Boost
-Waterfall
-Crunch
-Earthquake
-Protect

This is the standard set for Sharpedo, and it's an amazing one. He is one of the best physical sweepers in the tier just like Kabutops, and Kabutops and Sharpedo are almost identical.

Tyrantrum: Leftovers / Life Orb

Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP / 4 Def
-Dragon Dance
-Stone Edge
-Dragon Claw
-Crunch / Earthquake
This set can be quite effective. With one Dragon Dance up, you can probably sweep an entire team thanks to Tyrantrum's amazing attack as well as his 252 Speed EVs.

Special Sweeper Options:

Just like I have stated, your team lacks special attacks. Another special sweeper can be a good help. Some good Special Sweepers can be:
  • Clawitzer
  • Eelektross
  • Zoroark
  • Jolteon
  • Exploud

Special Sweeper Movesets:

Clawitzer: Life Orb

Ability: Mega Launcher
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
EVs: 252 SpA, 248 HP, 8 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk (to minimize Foul Play damage)
-Water Pulse
-Ice Beam
-Dark Pulse
-Aura Sphere

Eelektross: Expert Belt / Life Orb

Ability: Levitate
Mild Nature (+SpA, -Def)
EVs: 252 SpA, 248 HP, 8 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-Giga Drain
-Superpower

Zoroark: Life Orb

Ability: Illusion
Naïve Nature: (+Spe, -SpD)
EVs: 252 Spe, 252 SpA, 4 HP / 4 Atk
-Night Daze / Dark Pulse
-Focus Blast
-Flamethrower
-Sucker Punch

Jolteon: Life Orb

Ability: Volt Absorb
Hasty Nature (+Spe, -Def)
EVs: 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Volt Switch
-Hidden Power [Ice]
-Shadow Ball / Signal Beam

Exploud: Leftovers / Life Orb

Ability: Scrappy
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 HP, 4 Spe
-Boomburst
-Surf
-Fire Blast
-Ice Beam

Well, there is my rate for you. I hope it helped you! Thanks for reading :toast:.

Last edited:
Your team heavily relies on Delphox to come in and break Physicial walls. This combined with the fact that you have no ways to remove hazards really pressures Delphox to kill of Physical walls which is not preferable. Therefore you should either get a second Special Sweeper or a way to keep hazards off the field. Xatu is a good way to do so, however I recommend using Offensive Xatu since it can actually beat most of the hazard setters bar Drudigon and the rare Crustle.

Xatu @ Life Orb
EVs: 136 HP / 180 SAtk / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Grass Knot
- Heat Wave
- Psyshock / Psychic

This Xatu easily beats Rhyperior, Seismitoad, Registeel etc. It's also immune to Dugtrio's trapping for what it's worth.
Grass Knot and Flamethrower are for beating SR leads since most aren't fast and are weak to either Grass or Fire, with the two exeptions being Druddigon and Crustle. (There are probably some others but those can't beat you). The only other thing you need to watch out for is Archeops and Cobalion with Stone Edge, although if it has that it probably doesn't run SR.
The speed EVs let you nail Adamant Hitmonlee with Psyshock, which is a guaranteed OHKO, as Lee is pretty threatening to your team, since your only check to it Banette which loses to Knock Off. Beware of the rare Stone Edge, however. However you can use Psychic if you want to use it.

180+ SpA Life Orb Xatu Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Hitmonlee: 296-351 (122.3 - 145%) -- guaranteed OHKO
180+ SpA Life Orb Xatu Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Hitmonlee: 471-556 (194.6 - 229.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
180+ SpA Life Orb Xatu Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 441-519 (101.6 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
180+ SpA Life Orb Xatu Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 122-146 (33.5 - 40.1%) -- 28.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
(Ok you aren't 2HKOing it but it cannot touch you whatsoever)
180+ SpA Life Orb Xatu Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Escavalier: 291-343 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Hope that helped ^_^

Also @ Above post: Lum can be used over Lefties or Life Orb on DD Tyrantrum to give an extra turn vs WoW'ers like Spiritomb and Jellicent

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)