The Barracks (Military Service: past, present, and future)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Barracks (bear-rECKS, not the President)
For the few, the proud, the Marines. For the Army Strong. For the Global Force for Good. For those who Aim High. For those who fight so that others may live.
And for those who have fallen on the battlefield.
Potius mari quam foedari - Victis Honor
(Death before dishonor) - (Honor to the Vanquished)

Hey guys, I wanted to make this thread to see if there are any of you all out there who are in, are planning to join, or have been in any military for any country (presumably your home country). I've tried hunting for a similar thread as to this, but to no avail, and felt that Smogon needed something to kind of honor those who put their life on the line. This thread can be for anything from military related questions to introducing yourself and what you do in the military, or just generally dropping in to say hi and give your support to those who have served for your country.​
I know not everyone likes the military, and I really don't want to start debates here about whether certain services are better than others or anything about us soldiers, airmen, navalmen (I prefer NOT to use the other term, as I can be slightly childish), Marines, etc being anything negative. Remember, we risk our lives everyday for you to be on the internet and for you to be complaining about us.
So, if you have, or are, or will be serving in any armed service of any country, please feel free to post your military related questions here. EDIT: Since this thread has been moved to the dark depths of the Firebot Dev Lab, let's have fun with some military humor (within the FDL rules, of course). Post funny military related pictures, gifs, stories, etc. here.

Also, this thread is for the organization of any small armies that wish to wage war on other forum sites, other small and fictitious armies, or against Smogon moderators (you'll always lose against that last opponent.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since I'm starting this:

I'm planning on joining the United States Army as an M1A2 Abrams Main Battle Tank Crewman (19K MOS)
I'm already enlisted and have a ship date set for basic training. I plan on playing Pokemon wherever I go and certainly hope those in my unit play as well (which would be fucking awesome). I do not plan on going to simply pay for college, I do not plan on joining to "kill a shit ton of mother fuckers", I do not plan on joining to "blow shit up". I plan on joining because I want to feel a sense of worth and belonging. I want to be part of the betterment of humanity.

As I am not in Active Duty yet, I cannot answer all questions, but feel free to ask me any questions you have about the US Military. Even if you're not interested in joining and just have basic questions about what we do in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, etc. Feel free to ask away. As I said, I'd like this to remain as positive as possible (with the standard jabs here and there of course).

I'll be adding a list of military representatives that can answer questions and stuff like that once this starts to take off. For now, it's just a simple soldier looking for his battle buddies.

FINAL DISCLAIMER: Those of you who claim to be military and are found out to be nothing but posers will be trolled hard on this thread. Being in the military has nothing to do with status, and we'd rather you NOT impersonate a member of the military, if you want to keep your credibility. Not everyone likes an asshole, sure, but EVERYONE hates someone who claims to have done something they haven't.

Last edited:
So, to make this official I'll start with some new military news:
So, the F-35 (which has been in development for like 10 or so years now) has been having some test flights...
And imagine that. One of them done fucked up.
An experimental Air Force pilot who was testing the F-35A at Eglin barely escaped from the multi-billion dollar aircraft as it caught on fire. The F-35 has had so much money and years dumped into it that many are questioning whether or not it's worth it anymore. I used to be pro-F-35, but after hearing about this, it just further proves the project is a wet dream.
Full story here

is it fun????
Depends on your definition of fun. If you like to work with a team to get things done while still being able to work independently, then yeah, it's hella fun. If you like to shoot guns, drive armored vehicles, and work with advanced weapon systems not available to the civilian market, then yeah, it's fun.
But, it's not about "fun". Sure, you can enjoy it while you do it, but it is a job after all. There are things you're going to hate, things you wish you'd never have to do. but, at the end of the day, you are the one ensuring everyone else's freedom.

Geki Teh Panda I'm going to spare you further stress and tell you that you posted this thread in the wrong forum

For real, try Congregation of the Masses
I actually did, and it got moved here for some reason. I really meant for this to be a serious forum in Congregation of the Masses, which is why I originally posted this there, but one of the mods moved it to Firebot.

Last edited:
My dad is in the army. And so was my mom's dad. And his uncle. And his father. And his father and grandfather fought in the Civil War, on opposite sides. The younger, the son, was a wagon-driver for the Union, and his father was a sergeant in the Confederate Army. So my great-great-great-grandfather and my great-great-great-great-grandfather is how far back we have discussed it in the past three years. I am considering a military career; after mandatory retirement, the military record also looks good on a politician's resume. My family also has a lot of political and leadership background, but that's a different thing. I've looked at it, and the strategist planner(sorry, I lost the name for it) looks natural, but then again PsyOp looks interesting.
Also, before people ask questions, my dad has told me stuff I can't tell anyone, and I think that might apply for a few things. Please ask questions delicately and thoughtfully.

I don't think anyone criticizes soldiers for wanting to serve their country, but the military's decisions/actions as a body that's meant to serve its country. People who want to serve are the people who need to be aware of that kind of thing the most, since it's usually not their private intentions that matter.

That said, it's not always out of choice. Israel has mandatory serve, and I'll be starting mine in fall. Since it's mandatory, though, you have a wide range of posts and non-posts. If you really want it, you can end up in a useless position for 3 years of your life doing nothing constructive if the alternative is to be at the line of fire. You can even worm your way out of it altogether, but it's generally a black blot on your record for anyone in the country who cares. You can also sign a contract for an all-expenses-paid degree in exchange for more time in the army, if you qualify, for example. For the really good positions, the army's usually the one calling you. There's lots for me to talk about, so if you're interested in something in particular, go ahead.

My dad is in the army. And so was my mom's dad. And his uncle. And his father. And his father and grandfather fought in the Civil War, on opposite sides. The younger, the son, was a wagon-driver for the Union, and his father was a sergeant in the Confederate Army. So my great-great-great-grandfather and my great-great-great-great-grandfather is how far back we have discussed it in the past three years. I am considering a military career; after mandatory retirement, the military record also looks good on a politician's resume. My family also has a lot of political and leadership background, but that's a different thing. I've looked at it, and the strategist planner(sorry, I lost the name for it) looks natural, but then again PsyOp looks interesting.
Also, before people ask questions, my dad has told me stuff I can't tell anyone, and I think that might apply for a few things. Please ask questions delicately and thoughtfully.
Psyops was my first idea, but I absolutely suck when it comes to learning new languages, so I decided against it. Apparently PsyOps is also hella lot of paperwork too. They also have some arts groups in PsyOps that design leaflets and propaganda. It's some cool stuff, but I wanted combat over it.

Obama Bin Laden wants to do to Syria exactly what we're doing in Afghansitan... Train a military, this time, again, a rebel one. hopefully, unlike Afghanistan, it hasn't been corrupted (hahaha, false dream). I really hope this bs of hopping around other countries and teaching them how to fight instead of the NATO Coalition actually going in to kick ass ends quickly. History repeats itself. Aiding these rebels will bite us in the ass and we'll have another Taliban on our hands. Unfortunately, Obama has this policy of "indirect opposition" and thinks other countries can do things themselves. It's better for the world if we either let each country handle its own fights or intervene completely instead of this half-assed "aid and training".
full story here

Last edited:
Obama Bin Laden wants to do to Syria exactly what we're doing in Afghansitan... Train a military, this time, again, a rebel one. hopefully, unlike Afghanistan, it hasn't been corrupted (hahaha, false dream). I really hope this bs of hopping around other countries and teaching them how to fight instead of the NATO Coalition actually going in to kick ass ends quickly. History repeats itself. Aiding these rebels will bite us in the ass and we'll have another Taliban on our hands. Unfortunately, Obama has this policy of "indirect opposition" and thinks other countries can do things themselves. It's better for the world if we either let each country handle its own fights or intervene completely instead of this half-assed "aid and training".
full story here
Isn't Bin Laden dead? Wait...Obama Bin Laden? I'm confused... I know Osama's dead, but Obama bin Laden? What's next, Obama bin Hussein? Or was that a typo. I'm confused. Please explain, and pardon my ignorance or stupidity if it's a pun.

Isn't Bin Laden dead? Wait...Obama Bin Laden? I'm confused... I know Osama's dead, but Obama bin Laden? What's next, Obama bin Hussein? Or was that a typo. I'm confused. Please explain, and pardon my ignorance or stupidity if it's a pun.
It is a pun, because it's Obama being an idiot.
UPDATE to all: I'm in the process of moving right now and no longer have internet access until I get someone out here to install it, so news will be unavailable TBA.
tl;dr: news is offline as I am offline.

Last edited:
"The Army last week began notifying about 1,100 captains that they will be purged from the ranks. The same fate is awaiting about 500 majors, who beginning this week will be told their active-duty careers are over. They're among nearly 2,500 officers and NCOs who will be involuntarily separated this year as part of an ongoing drawdown of forces."
This is an outrage. Captains with over a dozen years in, three to nine service tours in combat areas, are being downsized to "help the economy". If Obama's idea to help the economy is to release officers with years of service and tours in combat, I hate to see his idea to upgrade the military and help the military. This is the kind of thing that we shouldn't cut for the budget. Why not cut the money boosting the economy, or spreading Pro-Obama propaganda? Oh no, let's cut the veterans. Great idea. When does the Army turn into the Obama Police Department? I thought the idea behind democracy and capitalism was helping those who serve our country. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe my decision to trust the current government was wrong. I hear that nearly a million and a half signed petitions for dozens of states to secede after Obama became re-elected. His propagandists claimed it was a time for unity, when those names were placed on a Possible Domestic Terrorist Watchlist. They called for strength and to stand together, as those who spoke out were placed on a possible domestic strike list. The military is watching those who dare to speak out against the government and for free speech and for free press. Not that I blame them. They are trained to automatically obey orders from the President. I blame the current administration and it's corrupt ways.

While I do agree with you, poleon, let's keep this thread more about the impact it will have on the military (and our opinions) and less about bashing Obama. Remember, guys, military, not politics.

I agree with your decision, but the higher ups moved it here after I posted it to Congregation of the Masses. Talk with them if you think this thread being in FDL is a problem...
He meant he moved the thread from CONGMASS. He was referring to my(admittedly derpy and stupid post)above it. I think he can read my mind.

Okay, sorry for the long wait. Got internet up at my new place, so here comes the news:
US Navy is planning on replacing their perfectly fine Mk41 Vertical Launch Systems (they shoot missiles into the air. Lots of missiles.) with something far more expensive and probably more of a struggle maintenance-wise.
If it ain't broke, and is still capable of kicking ass, DON'T FUCK IT UP FIX IT. The Mk41s work perfectly well as a dependable surface to surface, surface to air, and surface to sub-surface offense and defense. My GRANDFATHER worked on Mk41s in the Second Gulf War, and my uncle worked on the same Mk41s just last year in the Pacific Ocean. They're already difficult to maintenance, and adding ballistic missile defense systems (which, we already have a ship class called Aegis that does this) is a waste of time and money... money that could be spent on keeping our service men and women in service for their allotted time.
Full story here.
More posts to come in the future, as well as a remake to the OP if I feel up to it. Keep up the support.

So you're joining the military?
Yes. I'm joining to protect those of my country, and those next to me on the front line. You have no reason to talk bad of those who lay down their lives for you to say such things unless you've been on line and in the fire. If you're from the united states, I get free speech and all that bullshit, but there are still things you should never say because of respect for those who have died for you to say things.
FFS, did you NOT read the OP fully? This is a thread for questions ABOUT the military, not a thread for debate on whether or not what we do is good or bad. We discuss military related things here, like future tech, future warfare, current tech, current conflicts, etc. This is NOT a thread for debate on whether us soldiers are "baby killers" or any of the other bullshit you civilians get into your thick heads about those who give their life for the man or woman next to them in the line of duty. This is NOT a thread to debate whether the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force are better or whose country's military branch could kick the other one's ass. Get a filter in your mind before you try talking shit in uncharted territory.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
you're the only one to bring those topics up. Seriously, the way you're phrasing your topics and trying to tangent into politics is just begging others to mess with you.

you're the only one to bring those topics up. Seriously, the way you're phrasing your topics and trying to tangent into politics is just begging others to mess with you.
Thank you for that realization then. I'm working on trying to keep it military related, but politics affect the military too much. I will be focusing more on the military side of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)