Other Pokemon: Smogon Version OU [Route 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Seeing doughboys map makes me think that like in Johto and Kanto the town should have a river to the south therefore I propose a couple of mons to catch to the south of starter town (also can druddigon be an event legendary :p. )

Starter Town
Surfing: Horsea (15-20), Mantine (18-23), Seadra (25-30), Tentacool (15-20), Tentacruel (25-30)
Reasoning: there are not that many non legendary non event surf mons that are even slightly viable but this is a decent mix of options.
Fishing
Old Rod: Magikarp (level 5-10)
Reasoning: Old Rod should catch karp on all routes.
Good Rod: Magikarp (15-20)
Reasoning: see above
Staryu (15-20)
Reasoning: A very good competitive water type and is usually caught in seas with a good rod.
Alomomola (15-20)
Reasoning: Eases grinding lots after getting the good Rod.

Super Rod
Gyarados (35-40)
Good attack EV fodder for quick grinding and is always caught with super Rod
Alomomola (35-40)
Reasoning: Keep the grinding train going.

Need some more super rod ideas but love this idea :).
Please read through the whole OP when making a Proposal post.

Remember:
-Only 1 Pokemon can be proposed in 1 post
-Proposal must be in the format described in the OP
-All Pokemon a route must be either on the OU viability list, or a parent for a certain move (or otherwise useful for raising)

Tentacruel is not on the list.

For the first town, I'll entertain the idea we have water, and allow 7 Pokemon
-Old Rod Catch
-Old Rod Catch
-Good Rod Catch
-Good Rod Catch
-Super Rod
-Super Rod
-Surf

Please read through the whole OP when making a Proposal post.

Remember:
-Only 1 Pokemon can be proposed in 1 post
-Proposal must be in the format described in the OP
-All Pokemon a route must be either on the OU viability list, or a parent for a certain move (or otherwise useful for raising)

Tentacruel is not on the list.

For the first town, I'll entertain the idea we have water, and allow 7 Pokemon
-Old Rod Catch
-Old Rod Catch
-Good Rod Catch
-Good Rod Catch
-Super Rod
-Super Rod
-Surf
Super sorry :( this is what I get for posting while tired....

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
^don't worry about it dude. I figured as much. Anyway, looking for:

-proposals on NPCs
-proposals on 7 Water pokes
-proposals for layout of first town
-general brain storm posts

BTW-- Just like has been mentioned by you guys, I'd always thought that the "Pokedex" would be the "smogon strategydex" and it would be complete at the very start of the game. I'll write a script for when Professor Chou gives it to the player/rival. "It has info on all the Pokemon that are actually good, and tells you what moves to put on them too." lolz

I would keep the Gym Leaders monotype since that is the way it has almost always been in every game. Just give them monotype teams which don't completely suck competitively (I know this is kind of an oxymoron, but the Gym leaders can have teams which actually require the player to have a decent team to beat them.)

Edit: And why is the Professor named Professor Chou? The professor needs to be named after a notable Smogon member who is named after a tree.

I would keep the Gym Leaders monotype since that is the way it has almost always been in every game. Just give them monotype teams which don't completely suck competitively (I know this is kind of an oxymoron, but the Gym leaders can have teams which actually require the player to have a decent team to beat them.)

Edit: And why is the Professor named Professor Chou? The professor needs to be named after a notable Smogon member who is named after a tree.
Professor Woodchuck who makes puns every time you speak to him. 10/10, A+, 5 stars

This is a very interesting thread. I would definitely love to play this if it ever comes to fruition. I think the first town should be simple in design with your house, your rival's house, the lab, and some random houses with maybe some items such as potions and antidotes.

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Like I said in my last post, I think there needs to be some addendum to the usual pure monotype so things actually make sense competitively and the leaders are difficult to beat like the opening post suggests.

Pokemon Proposal
Starting Town
Magikarp
Level 5-9
Reasoning: Realistically, you won't be able to even fish these Pokemon in the starting town until you've come back later with an actual rod so why not offer an incentive to return? Magikarp could prove to be very useful as a Gyarados, despite offering it at a dismally low level in order to correlate with the fact it's the first town. All the more reason to come back as soon as possible and raise up a Mega Gyarados.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
I suggested that in the OP, while teams would be mostly be type-based, there could be non-typed members in order to cover specific weaknesses (Rotom on the Bug Gym's team is the given example).

Maybe members could have 2-3 members of their type them, AND an overall team theme as well (example: Water gym is also a rain gym with the gym leader having Thundurus and Tornadus).

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
I suggested that in the OP, while teams would be mostly be type-based, there could be non-typed members in order to cover specific weaknesses (Rotom on the Bug Gym's team is the given example).
There would probably have to be more than one non-specific wild card to balance things out in that case. I'm thinking maybe two tops for each, though.

I just think that you could make decent teams while staying true to the games' traditions. For example, a gym with the leader using a mono steel team of Aegislash, Bisharp, Excadrill, Mega Mawile, Ferrothorn, and Heatran would at least be okay. Even though Steel types have Fire, Fighting, and Ground type weaknesses, Heatran can take the Fire type attacks, Air Balloon Excadrill and Ferrothorn can take Ground type attacks, and Aegislash and Mega Mawile can take Fighting attacks. At least this hypothetical Gym Leader (I'm not actually proposing anything) wouldn't get completely raped by one attack and the team wouldn't completely suck like the Gym Leaders in the actual games.

Pokemon Proposal
Starter Town
Super Rod Proposal
Alomomola (35-40, common)
Reasoning: The Chansey of the sea, Alomomola gives a ton of EXP and by having it very available in the mid-late game allows players to grind easily. Besides being semi viable Alomomola does some important breeding such as giving Azumarill Aqua Jet.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

Ok so pretty crude but w/e I'm no huge artist but moving on. Anyways wrote some obvious keys like buildings and stuff, npcs, etc. The green background on the town can be considered trees. Idk if it's too early to consider it but I put a gym leader building since that's a thing now to come back to the a former town/city after you get whatever is required in this case at least surf for now. If we're going off of doughboys map, I provided two possible routes (the purple arrows) to take, with npcs before each in case they need to serve a specific purpose, like a roadblock for example. You can give and take w/e really as far as this design goes. Just some ideas to throw out there and to consider in terms of themes, structure, all the basics really.

Pokemon Proposal
Starting Town
Marill (Surf)
Why: Its evolution is arguably the most viable out of the traditional Surf-mons, so I feel it would work well as our mon found on the water. Assuming Surf is obtained sometime later in the game, it can be around level 25 or so. Would pair well with the Alomomola (super rod) suggestion so you can conveniently breed Aqua Jet onto Marill.

I'm going to propose that the Day Care is located in the starting town. Waiting until late in the game to breed shit would suck because then you would have to grind a long time with that Pokemon to get it to the point where it is competitive in battles. We should let players get breeding out of the way ASAP so the Day Care should be in the starting town.

Pokemon Proposal
Starting Town
Wooper(Old Rod Catch)
Level 5-10
Reasoning: Seeing as how Quagsire is perhaps the most viable water-type for stall, and there are already proposals for Gyara and co, imo Old Rod Wooper would allow stall players to start soon, making EV training easier(until you reach the Psychic NPC) which would also create options for players as opposed to simply going HO - indeed, stall can do well against Gym Leaders given that there will be a common offensive type for most mons on a Leader's team, which helps stall.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Suggesting that (should it be applicable) the person that stops you from running into the grass without a pokemon should be Birkal or Redew or something.

"Don't go out into the wilds of Smogon without proper mentorship! You don't even have a Pokemon!"

----

Pokemon Proposal
Starter Town
Good Rod Proposal
Vaporeon (20-30, uncommon)

Vaporeon has been a staple pokemon for many teams, and while it is not exactly the best out there, it is a legitimate option for some teams.

Pokemon Proposal
Starting Town
Lombre (Good Rod)
Level 15-20
Why: It's one of the weaker water types we can pick, so it's suitable for the early game, but it evolves early, and the final evolution to Ludicolo could be restricted by the placement of the Water Stone. It also has a unique typing that could come in handy in early on, when you don't have access to the full movepools + choice of higher tier pokemon. After the Rain Dance TM is available, it could possibly run a manual Rain Dance set that's seen in the lower tiers, while later on, it could be a situational, but viable member of the right full rain team. Plus, according to the flavour text for Lombre - 'If it spots an angler, it will tug on the fishing line to interfere.'

Pokemon Proposal
Starting Town
Corphish (Surf)
Level 15-20
Why: Corphish does not have access to Adaptability, through regular means, thus making it a good option for a strong Water-type (but not overpowered like w/ Adapt.). Maybe we could actually make HA possible, idk, but either way I'm nominating Corphish because it sounds like a good idea on paper.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just a quick note: If this is intended to play like Competitive pokemon the whole way through, the level system won't work as you can just do what you do in a normal game: Grind or focus on one pokemon so it's much higher level. With different levels you lose the finesse of EV spreads, speed creeping... Stuff this game is meant to teach, right? Well to fix this problem you'd need to scale all the battles...

And also: The pokedex in the game should be the smogon dex, showing movesets, etc.
To fix this, there should be level limits. For example, before battling the 1st GYM leader whose Pokemon's highest level is 20 or 25, you would only be able to level up your Pokemon to level 20-25. Depending on if the opponents will have full EVs or scaling EVs we can also make it so that even if you don't get any XP from a battle (because you reached your level limit), you still get EVs.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Would it be possible to have different parts of the game teach different things? Nobody is going to remember the finite details of speed creeping from the first gym. Maybe for the first half or so of the game, make it centered around team building and properly EVing/movsetting your pokemon. Once you reached a point in the game where you've got something that resembles a decent ladder team (or should, anyway) then it moves onto more detailed battle strategies et cetra. No more mono-bug gyms, now you've got (if this was the right gen) Kevin Garret Stall showing up as a gym leader team/elite four.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
How are EVs and movesets going to be addressed? It would be impossible to fight proper competitive NPCs if you're running on tackle / flash / stun spore and no EV investment.

Levsl up movesets need to be modified to get some decently viable moves very early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)