XY OU Surprisingly effective pick 'n' mix

Wanted a team around bulky mega scizor but wasn't sure what to go with and in my eagerness to play, I tried to patch together a team. Turns out the team didn't require much alteration before it was usable to a decent standard, although it still needs work

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 116 Def / 100 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- X-Scissor

So this is what I wanted to build my team around. Having watched a few matches where this set was used, I figured I'd give it a go. The emphasis on the set is a bulky attacker, one which doesn't have to cower from taking hits and can easily set up. Scizor can force switches if bought in at the correct time, and switching into physical hits is a walk once mega evolved. In terms of attacks it can be walled, there's not much diversity between steel & bug type, which means early game he needs to switch out. Becomes much more of a menace mid-late game.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

The blob. I'd faced him several times before, and he can be extremely frustrating. Here to act as a sponge and deal with pokemon who rely on boosts for their power, he's a bit of a punchbag. I wasn't overly sure what set to use so I grabbed one from the forum. He handles Heatran really well, which compliments Scizor alot. He's on in particular that I'm thinking about changing however, as he literally is just a sponge for me, and often can't do much once switched in (perhaps the set, I'm not sure)

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

The sparing partner for Scizor. I felt it was vastly important to put crawdaunt in. He helps draw out and soften up my opponents physical walls all while threatening them with knock-off. Again his priority helps deal with fire types who think they can mess with Scizor. Dragon Dance was a personal choice because I like to play with a couple of pokes who can boost, to gain advantage on switches, which explains the EV setup. I didn't actually work out speed tiers here so someone correct me if I can afford to run less EV's in speed.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect

I chucked sylveon in as team medic and to provide special bulk, which could be trouble for my team without him. Heal bell means I can be more reckless with Scizor & Crawduant, stay in and attack at the risk of taking a burn and it also means I can situp against scald (especially with scizor). Wish is fairly standard, and works well with the offensive core, switching into a wish can often regain HP AND give me a free turn when the opponent switches. In return, Sylveon's weakness are covered excellently by Scizor, complementing it's weaker physical side nicely too. Hyper voice is also a handy remedy to hit those would want to hide behind a substitute.

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

While this guy wasn't originally in the team, he's the most important aspect of it. In my opinion the deadliest pokemon in all of OU if played properly. This set seems to have fallen out of favour with many in 6th gen, but it works wonders here. I usually lead with Thundurus, he can shut down other leads excellently and cripple whatever switches in. He's key because he keeps threats in check, at the very minimum he can cripple an opponent with paralysis, something that helps Crawdaunt immensely but also helps my other support pokemon use recovery before being hit. Taunt is great at shutting down other support pokemon, of which nearly all struggle against him. Volt switch over thunderbolt because gaining advantage with the switch is massive for this team, HP ice for coverage. He's my answer to a lot of things, and it's vital he stays alive for as long as possible (hense slyveon is important for him)

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Stone Edge
- Earth Power

Heatran was thrown in because I wanted something that could hit on the special side properly, and provides needed fire type coverage which this team misses greatly. Not really sure on the set though, scarf hasn't been as useful as I thought. Stone edge was basically to catch Charizard and talonflame better, pretty standard set otherwise.

OVERALL: I've never been a huge fan of rocks, I prefer to start the game on the offensive front and try and gain an early momentum advantage, I find that it can cause people to rush in their physical counters early giving me good footing for the endgame. This doesn't mean I can't set them up later or even at the start, some games where I lose it's clear I would have won with rocks up. Hazards aren't a huge issue although they do irritate Thundurus a little. Quagsire is the main aspect for change, and Heatran (possibly just a set swap though, unsure there). Open to any/all suggestions though.

This was my first dip back into OU after a while out, hense I've not given massive details about threats and what covers what because the metagames a little different to what it used to be.

*Zapdos use to be in place of Thundurus, defog set*

I think your team misses hazards, I'd consider Gliscor over Quagsire, even potentially running the same moveset but swapping out scald for rocks instead.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Roost

Obviously ice is a pain, however scizor can take the physical ice moves easily enough with sylveon/heatran tanking the special side.

You should run knock off> X scissor on scizor, as it gives it better coverage. (Without knock off, you are walled by aegislash and other steel types) if you really want to keep a stab move for some reason, use bug bite, as the technician boost gives it a base power of 90 (as opposed to x scissor's 80).

You should run knock off> X scissor on scizor, as it gives it better coverage. (Without knock off, you are walled by aegislash and other steel types) if you really want to keep a stab move for some reason, use bug bite, as the technician boost gives it a base power of 90 (as opposed to x scissor's 80).
I opted against knock off because Crawdaunt provides that, I'll give it a spin. Bug Bite totally passed my mind, so if KO doesn't work out I'll give that a try.

Hi interesting team you have :). For your crawdaunt I recommend you use an adamant nature to enhance its wallbreaking credentials and using swords instead of dragon dance. This is so it can wreck walls after a boost and it is still too easily revenged killed due to its low speed and bulk. I also think you should use a life orb on thundurus and replace leftovers for a life orb to increase its damage output.

Ancient Power > Stone edge on heatran, if you want a Rock move: Not only is AP guaranteed to hit at normal accuracy, it has a better effect and if i recall correctly is even more powerful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)