XY OU Tweak my mega gardevoir team

Hey guys this is my mega gardevoir team. I really like it and it's done work for me. I've got a 38-17 record with it. It's a good but not GREAT team as I seem to struggle with certain sand teams and powerful water types.

Khaleesi (Gardevoir) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

MOTHER OF DRAGONS
My star player obviously. I use her with sticky web support so she can outspeed anything in the base 130 range. She hits like a truck and can set up on weak walls, choice locked dragon types, and fighting types. Khaleesi is a fantastic late game cleaner and Gliscor breaker. After one CM she can one shot defensive Floregess with psyshock and almost 2 shots blissey. Venasaur-mega has no chance either. Pixelate hypervoice essentially 2 shots the entire metta. She can hit things that go behind subs with it and she can obliterate tyranitar. After 2 calm minds and sticky web up she can sweep a team. Shadow ball is there for ghost type coverage and to hit psychic types for super effective damage. I have 0 IVs for weakened foul plays. This set can't touch scizor unfortunately. I was thinking of running HP fire, but it seems too situational.

Ser Jorah (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

PERSONAL ADVISOR AND PROTECTOR TO QUEEN DAENERYS TARGARYEN, MOTHER OF DRAGONS
I find heatran to be an excellent pair with mega-gardevoir. It's max spDEF so it can take special ghost and dark type hits. It 2x resists flash cannon and it is also immune to poison hits. Aegislash and scizor are huge threats, but heatran stops them both pretty well. I always have 1 phaser and 1 rocker with my teams and heatran fits the bill for both. Earth power is there for coverage and other heatran. Once again 0 attack IVS for weakened foul plays. Ser Jorah's downfall (apart from his little crush) is ground types which is why I pair him Ser Barriston Selmy.

Sandor Clegane (Conkeldurr) @ Life Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

THIS WILL RAPE YOU, MURDER YOU, AND KILL YOUR POKEMON...
All false except for the last part. Adamant max attack for great skull crushing power and max HP to live multiple pike wounds. Needless to say, AV Conkeldurr is great at weakening bulky pokemon and picking off fast n'fraile threats, so Khaleesi can finish them. It cripples psychics on the switch in with knock off, and can kill any non-defensive ghost type pokemon pretty easily. Mach Punch is there for priority, and to hit Greninja leads hard. Drain punch is there for longevity and for supper effective stab. Ice punch allows Sandor to hit incoming flying type switches and dragon types. Sandor has an issue with Latios and Latias, so I have Heatran and Gardevoir as easy switch ins. Talonflame, another problem, gets hard walled by Heatran. Steel types like Excadrill are a problem for Gardevoir, but Mountain laughs and takes care of them effectively.

Ser Barriston (Gliscor) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Defog
- Roost
- Toxic

WISE, HONOURABLE, AND WORKS WITH JORAH
Gliscor is there to take any ground hit and fighting hit that heatran can't. He's there to defog any hazards (for galvantula), and to toxic stall any walls that jeopardise my beautiful Gardevoir. I am considering changing toxic for a rock move or ice fang for coverage, but I have no other "satus mon" on my team. Earthquake is there for stab and to hit excadrill which is a big threat for gardevoir. I have roost to heal and stall. Ice types are gliscor's bane, so I find that heatran forms a great duo with it.
*The one issue with this team I found, lies with the Heatran/Gliscor core. Water types like azumarill, gyrados and greninja seem to give it problems. This is the reason why I'm asking the good folks on Smogon to help me, so I can counter this weakness.

Tyrion (Gengar) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

ALL DWARFS MAY BE BASTARDS IN THEIR FATHERS EYES... BUT NOT ALL BASTARDS ARE DWARFS
Mischievous, yet so very wise. Vile looking, yet so modest (ha get it). I find Gengar to be a great spin blocker. He can clean up late game and he has ground immunity. He can revenge kill effectively and picks off any fairy/grass/ghost/psychic types that would otherwise give my team problems. I have him at modest nature so I can get more kills that I otherwise wouldn't with a timid nature. Shadow Ball and Sludge Wave are there for dual stab. Shadow ball takes out any ghost/psychic type via revenge kill, and sludge wave is there to deal damage to azumarill, the occasional floregess and celebi. Dazzling gleam is there to surprise dark types, dragon types and fighting types. Thunderbolt is for water types, but more importantly for Mr. Gyrados. Mega or not, Gyrados is a threat of the highest degree. Gengar hates knock off (pretty much any dark type move for that matter) and ghost hits. Heatran and Gliscor can take them both pretty well, and a knockoff usually means free switch into Khaleesi.

Varys (Galvantula) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz

POWER IS A CURIOUS THING...
A seemingly timid spider, and a long time supporter of the Targaryian dynasty. Varys is there to set everything in motion with his sticky web shenanigans. It allows quick threats to be easily out-sped by Khaleesi. Moreover, it makes choice scarf users useless. Volt switch lets the wise spider get out of sticky (not pun intended situations). It also allows galvantula to bail and set up sticky web for later. Giga Drain is a dirty little surprise for any ground type/ground-water type that wants to set up Stealth Rocks. Giga Drain also restores HP, allowing for more Volt-switch/Bug Buzz shenanigans. Bug Buzz is fantastic stab and hits through substitutes. It works beautifully with swarm and focus sash, as it allows Varys to get off one gigantic hit on a target before falling. Galvantula hates hazards, fire, flying and rock moves. The wall duo of Gliscor and Heatran can take those types of hits, while gliscor can defog any stealth rocks. Once again, 0 attack IVs for weakened foul plays.

Thanks for reading ladies and gents. I really like this team (and GofT obv.), but I feel that I need better defensive core. Strong water types are a problem, which is why I have T-Bolt on Gengar, but sometimes Gengar isn't enough to alleviate the issue. I also need a rocker and a defogger to keep hazards off.

Thanks for your time and patience...

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In addition to heavy hitting water-types, it seems that Talonflame is a bit of an issue since your means of taking it down require you to take a hit, and apart from Gliscor and Heatran, this team is very frail. CB variants can come in and fire off Brave Birds, and while your Heatran is able to tank some hits, it can't do anything except phaze with Roar. Gliscor, which takes about 50% from BB, needs to Toxic it and attempt to Roost stall it. If this was the Taunt Bulk Up variant, you wouldn't have these methods to handle Talonflame whatsoever.

Aegislash is somewhat of a nuisance as well. There are zero ghost resists on this team which usually isn't that much of a problem if you pack enough bulk or offensive presence, but Heatran / Gliscor aren't amazing switch ins to Aegislash.

I would reconsider Galvantula and Sticky Web on this team. While Sticky Web works well with Gardevoir, it's not entirely necessary considering you have ways to revenge kill faster threats with Scarf Gengar. You can use Galvantula's slot to use something such as a Rotom-W which would help cover your Talonflame issues as well as your Water weakness--packing 0 resists for water-type attacks is asking for CB Azumarill to spam Aqua Jet or Specs Keldeo to spam Hydro Pump. You will maintain some Volt Switch momentum while providing adequate synergy with Heatran.

Put Assault Vest on the Conkeldurr, and invest in Sdef over HP so you recover more health with Drain Punch. This will add to the overall bulk of your team and will give you a secondary option to handle special attackers when guys like Heatran are worn down. You'll be able to tank Lava Plumes from defensive Heatrans much easier as well as Rotom Hydro Pumps / Volt Switches or in clutch scenarios, Aegislash Shadow Balls (which as I've mentioned before do a number to this team).

Next, try out Mandibuzz over Gliscor as a defogger in order to have a solid response against Aegislash, Defog Gliscor is rather lackluster compared to its Poison Heal variant, and at least Mandibuzz has a Ghost resist which your team would really benefit from. It works well with Heatran as well because Heatran handles fairies rather well, and Mandibuzz can switch into things like Landorus that would otherwise force your Heatran out.

With Mandibuzz over Gliscor and Rotom-W and AV Conk there to handle opposing Heatran, you can now afford to run something like Toxic or Ancientpower over Earth Power. Toxic works well on defensive Heatran as it helps you fight against Roost Talonflames without needing to use Will-O-Wisp or an otherwise weak Ancientpower, and also has its uses against more common switch ins to Heatran like Azumarill or Rotom. Protect helps you scout against choiced users like a Scarfchomp or Scarflando-t and also helps you regain health via lefties recovery. Both are viable options in your case.

Slap Trick on the Gengar over Thunderbolt and consider Taunt + HP Ground on the Gardevoir over CM / Shadow Ball to help better prepare yourself against Stall. Dazzling Gleam and Sludge Wave hit Azumarill, Keldeo, and Mega Gyarados for SE already, while Trick threatens Chansey and other special walls switching in on Gengar out of fear of being locked into a scarf. HP Ground, while hitting Aegislash weaker than Shadow Ball, is very useful against defensive Heatran, which without HP Ground or Focus Blast can severely hamper a Gard sweep. Next, Taunt helps you beat Chansey as it can't resort to Toxistall tactics. Hyper Voice pretty much wrecks most of the metagame as is, so you don't necessarily need to boost with CM to get a whole lot of power out of Gardevoir.

So in short:

Rotom-W @ Leftovers (over galv)
Bold 252 hp / 188 def / 88 spe
volt switch / hydro pump / pain split / will-o-wisp

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers (over gliscor)
Bold 252 hp / 236 def / 20 spe
foul play / roost / defog / taunt

Protect / Toxic over EP on Heatran

AV > LO on Conk

Trick > Tbolt on Gengar

Taunt + HP Ground / CM + Shadow Ball on Gardy

gl with this team, hope I gave you some new ideas

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)