XY OU Mega Charizard X Offense

Welcome to my first RMT. I started competitive battling at the early stages of the BW era, and I consider myself to be an intermediate player. I have made tons of teams over the months that I've been playing, but I've made one recently that I decided to showcase. Whether its anything special or not is what I'm trying to find out by posting this RMT and getting your feedback, so onto the team. :)

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze --> Tough Claws
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake

Here's the star of the team. As you probably know, an Adamant Flare Blitz from Mega Charizard X is a nuke. He has the potential to decimate unprepared teams with just one Dragon Dance, and this is what the team tries to make as easy as possible. The set and EVs are standard, but I run an Adamant Nature over Jolly simply for the power boost. While this means that there are a number of fast Pokemon that could outspeed and probably KO, the team has a number of ways to deal with these. I use Flare Blitz over Fire Punch as the power difference is giant; big enough to be worth the recoil in my opinion. The only times I ever send out Char are if I get a free switch in through Landorus' U-turn or Thundurus' Volt Switch, or if most of my Pokemon are down and Char is my only hope. The former is more desirable of course, but there have been times when I was losing 5-2, I danced and won 2-0. So always keep him healthy and never count him out until he's gone.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 120 SDef
IVs: 0 Atk
Calm Nature
- Moonlight
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Toxic

Most of the team's defense is in Clefable. I chose Clefable for multiple reasons, the first of which was for some bulk. I've used Clefable in the past to good effect and it also has a good synergy with Char, able to switch into any Pokemon that threatens it, such as Weakness Policy Dragonite who takes an unboosted Dragon Claw, activates its Weakness Policy and kills me with any move. Will-o-Wisps aimed at Landorus/Excadrill, Thunder Waves for Greninja or just Toxics in general are no worry for Clefable. It also serves as a Ferrothorn killer with Fire Blast (Fire Blast > Flamethrower to deal more damage, and Clefable is bulky enough to miss once or twice). The only other effective way to kill Ferrothorn is with Char's Flare Blitz, and I can't have Char dying in the process after recoil, Iron Barbs and maybe Rocky Helmet - he has to stay as healthy as possible.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

It might just be me, but it seems like barely anybody uses scarfed Landorus-T over the more popular defensive pivot set, and I have no idea why. This guy has been very useful on many occasions, and I use Superpower > Knock Off for a number of reasons: I can't count the number of times I've led with this and the opponent led with Greninja, tried to use Ice Beam to snag a quick KO and been demolished by Superpower. There's one fast and dangerous Pokemon down. Same goes for Tyranitar, Mega or not, who tries to Dragon Dance knowing he can live an Earthquake and again being smashed by Superpower instead. Also, Rock Slide > Stone Miss Edge - Landorus checks Talonflame with a nice Intimidate drop and KOs with Rock Slide, so the extra accuracy is more useful than the extra power from Stone Edge. A Jolly nature allows me to outspeed a number of other scarfers and its Attack is already so high. A great Pokemon in my opinion.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

Offensive Spinner Excadrill is my way of keeping Stealth Rocks off my field, that basically ruin Char's sweep, and setting up my own. Rapid Spin always takes priority over my own rocks, unless I ever find myself faced with an opponent using Talonflame, Volacrona and Mega Pinsir. The Air Balloon covers my weakness to ground type attacks, allowing me to set up rocks or rapid spin against the likes of opposing Landorus-T etc. more easily. A Jolly nature is used over Adamant because I need to outspeed other Pokemon to be able to use Rapid Spin before I get KOed if I have to, and also because Landorus' Earthquake is powerful enough that Adamant on Excadrill is unnecessary for just the extra power on its own Earthquake (and Iron Head still does a ton of damage to Fairies with Jolly). Also, Mold Breaker I find to be more useful than Sand Rush, as Sand Rush is very situational, and Mold Breaker allows it to annihilate Rotom-W whose Hydro Pump is very threatening if Clefable is gone.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Grass

Standard Life Orb Greninja. Scald > Surf/Hydro Pump to allow me to dish out a few burns that will boost my overall physical bulk, pairing nicely with Landorus' Intimidate and ability to U-turn on the switch after the Intimidate. The rest is for coverage that I felt my team was lacking, especially by using both Landorus and Excadrill. Dark Pulse can easily remove Lati@s trying to defog my rocks away, and threaten my Exacdrill with a powerful Life Orb Surf. Ice Beam for dragons that may foolishly Outrage after Clefable is gone, or to just kill them in general since Greninja outspeeds all that aren't scarfed. Hidden Power Grass is mainly for Quagsire who stops Char completely, but also for Swampert who, as much as I love him, is hard to take out (#teamMegaSwampert).

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / SAtk / Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

A standard Thundurus set. By this point I thought that the team was lacking slightly in bulk, since Clefable was my only real defensive pokemon. This meant that my team would often have to lose a member every time a threat switched in, which was of course not desirable. I therefore thought of Thundurus, whose job is to crippple any threats with a priority Thunder Wave. He can also spread the paralysis throughout the opponent's team as much as possible to allow Char to have an easier time clearing up. It also shuts down stall and those annoying Smeargles/Deoxys' with Taunt. Volt Switch allows me to scout the opponent's switch out of the taunted Smeargle etc. and into a better match-up. The Volt-Turn core it forms with Landorus is also nice, as Thundurus can take out Gliscors with HP Ice that Landorus can't touch, for example.

So there's the team. I've done my best to make it as easy as possible for you to read and rate, and hopefully you've enjoyed it. I'll most likely be posting a few more RMTs in the future when I can.

Big thanks for making it this far,

Dr.Agonite :)

Last edited:

pj

is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Hi,
I would suggest giving Wish instead of Moonlight to Clefable as you dont have Roost for Charizard X you just pass the Wish to Charizard which might help you

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would be careful against Bisharp with this team, as you will need to play around a combination of Pursuits, Knock Offs, and Sucker Punches as the team really doesn't have a solid switch to it. Granted, Bisharp isn't coming in easy, but there are certain ways in which your opponent can get it in, such as with a prediction against your Clefable, Scarf Landorus, Excadrill, Greninja, or it can just straight up come in as a revenge killer after you've killed something. Consider using Keldeo over Greninja if you want a more reliable way to deal with Bisharp while still maintaining your offense. While Greninja itself may resist Bisharp's main attacks, with Protean type changes a smart switch into Bisharp on an Ice Beam or Dark Pulse will put you in a 50/50 jam on Pursuit or Sucker Punch. Even so, switching in Greninja on Bisharp is not a good response either because Greninja is frail and has Life Orb. Lastly, Keldeo gives some added pressure against Chansey which hardwalls Greninja--Secret Sword isn't going to completely destroy Chansey, but it provides enough damage so that Chansey becomes a riskier switch against Keldeo. You want to preserve your Charizard, while Landorus doesn't have all the power to beat Chansey and Excadrill gets worn down kinda fast, so having Keldeo on board helps a bit against stall.

Consider Thunder Wave over Toxic on Clefable, as even with Toxic you're putting yourself in a position to get swept lategame by Zard-X. I would rather have a Zard-X with halved speed than a fully capable Zard-X that loses a bit of heath each turn. Running Thunder Wave on your Clefable makes it easier to deal with offensive teams that like to use a hit and run or glass cannon approach to things where Toxic isn't the most optimal status to inflict. Your offensive presence is good enough so that you don't really need to have Toxic to win against more bulkier teams.

Oh, and run Softboiled > Moonlight too. There's no reason to run Moonlight on a Magic Guard Clefable since Softboiled is legal. It has more PP and it isn't weather reliant.

Keldeo @ e-belt
Timid 252 satk / 252 spe / 4 hp
Hydro Pump / Secret Sword / Icy Wind / HP Electric

Twave + Softboiled / Toxic + Moonlight on Clef

gl with the team, and I enjoyed the presentation too

Hi, your team looks very solid but i wanna give you some advices:​

Charizard: You shouldn't put the remaing 4 evs in HP. An odd number of HP assures 2 switch in instead of one so you must put 4 evs in one of the defences.

Clefable: If you have some problems with tha statuppers and weakness policy, why don't you use unaware?
Or if you wanna use Magic Guard i think that the calm mind set is better than this one...

Cmind:

Clefable (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

If you wanna mantain your set i think that Heal Bell> Toxic is better (to prevent paralizes that can block greninja and char x, even if you have double ground + thundurus as absorber)

Greninja: HydroPump > Scald to have more chances of okho and Extrasensory > Dark Pulse to kill mega vanusaur and keldeo (since you don't have thunderbolt on thundurus).

P.S.: (you missed the evs of thundurus in the import XD )

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)