Smogon's Official World Cup Discussion (Congrats to Glaucius on winning Pick'em!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
tbh as a Holland fan I'm not entirely confident Holland will beat Argentina given their lackluster play vs Costa Rica. This WC is definitely full of surprises and upsets. That being said I'm hoping for a Holland vs Germany final.

I feel really bad for the Brazil players and the captain btw, it's not enough that they lost but the pitchforks and torches will be out in force. Some of them might not even be metaphorical. Neymar's back will heal a lot sooner than the mental scars from this.

last of all, fuck all of the brazil haters; there isnt a team that has been doing well during the wc, even this retarded germany team almost gut fucked by fucking algeria, and only beat france because of a lucky goal and parking the bus tactics, not to mention the match vs ghana. and if you try to sprout bullshit like "brazil bought the wc, shouldve been out for ages", no, brazil wasnt outplayed by chile, nor colombia, nor fucking anyone besides germany, putting even games with everyone, so fuck you all again. that said, go holland, about time they get a wc title.

also we're still the team with most wc titles, so fuck you all thrice
Algeria would have beaten that Brazil side tonight,

I predicted 3-0 Germany before the game and thought THAT was pretty risky...

Holland vs Argentina will be decided on which team defends better against Robben/Messi

2-1 Argentina imo

I can't see Holland losing to Argentina, plus I think they give Germany a better game. If their was a Germany weakness tonight it was long balls over the top to Bernard - Blind, Sniedjer, Robben it is pretty much a strength of the whole team, basically what they used against Spain. Plus a 5 man midfield has much less chance of getting overrun like Brazil did.

Last edited:
Marcelo apparently is a world class lb. This season Coentrao has been better than him and today he was absolutely dreadful. Probably the worst performance I have ever seen in an international match.

All I can say is thank god Thiago Silva is playing at PSG.

Toni Kroos and Sami Khedira were the best players on the field today. Controlled everything.

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
first of all i apologize for the word "fuck" being overused on this post (it appeads more here than in all of my 200+ posts)

ok, that game was a joke. i fucking wish colombia had beaten us, because i doubt they'd put up such a piss poor game. in fact, i doubt germany would beat the colombia that thrashed uruguay, for instance. really really really sorry, colombia.

the only good thing about this is that is that finally scolari's farse has been exposed. he:
-fucked up in building the 23 player squad by leaving coutinho, lucas moura, miranda and filipe luis out;
-used a 4-3-3 formation instead of a 3-5-2 ones, as marcelo/dani alves dont defend and leave the wings often exposed
-could play neymar as a false nine, but opted by running fucking fred, who btw had less than 60 seconds on the possession of the ball during the fucking whole tournament.
-
played hulk on the left wing instead of the right one when he ALWAYS showed that he would suck there
-tactically... oh my god i cannot fathom how tactically terrible brazil has been playing so far. they can only clear the ball from the area and hope something happens, the midfield lacks criativity, the attack is bad, the defense easily folds to wing attacks... hell this post would be 1 km long if i were to list all of the mistakes that scolari made, not to mention he says shit like "THEYRE HUNTING NEYMAR" after the colombia game where neymar got fouled thrice (one being a dive), twice less than james and cuadrado each.

last of all, fuck all of the brazil haters; there isnt a team that has been doing well during the wc, even this retarded germany team almost gut fucked by fucking algeria, and only beat france because of a lucky goal and parking the bus tactics, not to mention the match vs ghana. and if you try to sprout bullshit like "brazil bought the wc, shouldve been out for ages", no, brazil wasnt outplayed by chile, nor colombia, nor fucking anyone besides germany, putting even games with everyone, so fuck you all again. that said, go holland, about time they get a wc title.

also we're still the team with most wc titles, so fuck you all thrice

ps: I hope Fred scores like 3 or 4 goals in the last match. He doesn't deserve this hate from Brazil's fans. Is disgusting to hate your own player the whole match like this

If I were Van Gaal I'd pull a Real Madrid and swamp the Argentinian offense with Orange bodies and let Robben loose on the counter attack.

Do you really think he wasn't gonna do that already? It's ok tho, Alejandro is gonna put 3 defensive midfielders so the ball is gonna stay put in the mid, and Nederlands will win via penalties thanks to Krul .–.

Because who wants to play with the ball, right? Germany taught us nothing.

Edit: Also all my respect goes to Júlio César and David Luiz (for what they said after the game; I'm not gonna condone what Luiz did during). We can all learn from them when we make excuses and lack self-criticism—which is one of the main reasons people in general dislike journalists.

Last edited:

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry, forgot to post my Pregame tactical analysis of today's game earlier, so here it is for reference:

German Starting XI:

There are several clear flaws in this German side, as there has been for every XI Löw has selected in this 2014 Fifa World Cup Brazil™. First off Löw continues to play a small and pacey player who naturally is a right back in the center of midfield, and playing a center back out on the right side of the back four. While this might be good when attempting to park a bus and play on the counter, against a much smaller side like this brazil squad the physicality is unneeded and the ability to get forward and stretch a 5 man back line out wide and break down the parked bus is crucial.Then there are the issues with the rest of central midfield. The Germans field two physically strong players, but they lack little subtlety, and each can do only one thing well. This lack of versatility makes them much easier for a well coached side to handle them, as Brazil will look to do tonight. The squad as a whole also really struggles with a lack of creativity, something unacceptable for a team attempting to be one of the best in the world.

Brazil Starting XI:

This Brazil side illustrates every complaint that has been leveled against Big Phil Scolari during this 2014 Fifa World Cup Brazil™. A ban to Scyther and the brokenness of Sneasel limited the manager's options significantly, both in attack and defense. The manager dealt poorly with these struggles though, especially the choice of Igglybuff as a replacement to Sneasel is questionable, as his offensive abilities resemble those of a cream puff. Either Riolu or Azurill would have deputized better, as both provide more quickness and power in the attack. And then there is the formation in general. In the modern game all teams need strength in the middle, working as a pivot for the entire team. Scolari has bypassed this entirely, opting for only one small and frail player in the middle in Togepi, as well as responding the loss of his star center back by bringing in two new center backs and changing to a back three. And this without bringing in his best back off the bench in Bonsly, who offers a truly solid and sturdy deputy to Scyther. Wynaut at least is freed up significantly in his new role farther up the pitch as right wing back to defend and then hit back on the counter.

Key Questions:

Will Brazil be able to muster any possession without getting quickly outmuscled in the center of the park by the strong German midfield?

Will the Germans have enough special players to break through the parked bus of Brazil?

How aggressively will Brazil try to counter and find situations of 4 on 4 at the back, taking advantage of their peculiar formation?

When will Löw bring Supersub Charizard off from the bench, in whatever role needed, to patch up any tactical issues that may arise for Germany?

Eiganjo

So who did buy all the stroopwafels?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Good to hear Nigel de Jong made a miracle recovery and is playing tonight :3
This gives me hope we can beat Argentina and advance to face off against Germany

the mourinho link is not even speculation, its from a fan blog, "ten reasons for mourinho to be the next brazil coach", so yeah, no.

i believe holland will beat argentina, the latter has been very unimpressive, but you know, Messi can do anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)