XY OU RMT (Trying to make room for a Mega perhaps?)

Are Mega Evolutions generally needed on teams nowadays?

• Total voters
Hello! Right now, on my team, I am trying to figure out if i should include a Mega or not. I am starting to think that having a Mega is becoming a necessity for teams since they were first introduced. I have tested this team on Pokémon Showdown and I am currently maintaining a 1340-1370 point range. I want to climb the ladder a lot more, so I'm hoping to find some help to critique my team from the helpful people here on Smogon.

The first Pokémon that i generally start off with is:

Espeon:
@ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EV: 252 HP/252 Spe/4SpDef
Nature: Timid

-Psyshock
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Toxic

I chose this Pokémon because of its great speed and ability to set up screens successfully, without allowing the opponent to set up Stealth Rocks, Spikes, Toxic, Taunts...(etc.) I run Dual Screens to help bulk up my teams defenses a bit more, even if it lasts about 5-7 turns anyways. Very rarely do I use him offensively, so I decided to slap on Psyshock, but I assume that is a given.

------------

Tentacruel
@ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
EV: 252 HP/224 Def/32 Spe
Nature: Bold

-Scald
-Rapid Spin
-Haze
-Sludge Bomb

This Pokémon is generally used to remove Stealth Rocks and other entry hazards along with stat boosts. I find it odd because when I've used this Pokémon online, my opponents seem to be taken off guard that I run Haze on this set. I assumed if you were to run a Physically Defensive Tentacruel, Haze would be a good option. I put Scald on this, mostly because it is built to take Physical hits, and with the chance that I may burn my opponent.

------------

Porygon2
@ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EV: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpDef
Nature: Bold

-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Thunder Wave
-Recover

I love using this Pokémon because of its incredible bulk. I know i am running a Physically Defensive set here, but it is still able to take special attacks well also. I usually send this Pokémon in late-game to stall out the remaining Pokémon. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt are there for its good power/accuracy and coverage. Recover is there to, well...recover! I love sending this Pokémon in on opponents such as Heatran; being able to Trace it's Flash Fire ability, almost forcing it to switch out, depending on the set being run. I am currently wondering whether I should exchange one of the offensive moves with Tri Attack (SATB reasons mostly).

------------

Ferrothorn
@ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EV: 248 HP/8 Atk/252 Def
IV: 0 Speed
Nature: Impish (I should really go for Relaxed....)

-Leech Seed
-Stealth Rock
-Protect
-Gyro Ball

Leech Seed is used for recovery; something Ferrothorn lacks. Stealth Rocks is there just in case Espeon did not "Magic Bounce" them back. Protect is there for the "you can never be too careful" reason and predict a move while trying to scope out your opponents moveset. Gyro Ball is there for Pokémon such as Dragonite, and fast sweepers in general. Rocky Helmet is there to increase contact damage along with Iron Barbs.

------------

Dragonite
@ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EV: 252 Atk/4 HP/252 Spe
Nature: Adamant

-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Fire Punch
-Extreme Speed

Since there are approximately 400,000 sets a Dragonite can run, i assumed Weakness Policy would be a good idea, especially when my Screens are set up and Stealth Rocks are removed from the field. Because Dragonites are so hard to predict, I assume that when I switch out, they would immediately go for something super effective while I go for a Dragon Dance to boost my speed and my attack. Dragon Claw is there instead of Outrage because i do not like the idea of getting locked into that move with the possibility of Fairies and Steel-Types on the other team. Fire Punch is there to hit Scizor, Ferrothorn, and other Steel-Types that resist other moves on my set. Extreme Speed is there to hit faster threats.

------------

Mamoswine
@ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EV: 252 Atk/4 HP/252 Spe
Nature: Jolly

-Ice Shard
-Earthquake
-Icicle Crash
-Knock Off

Mamoswine, my revenge killer, is my favorite Pokémon hands down (Saving the best for last!). I have the Life Orb attached to boost its Attack output due to its slight nerf of power being Jolly. One of my reasons for this is for outspeeding Breloom's Mach Punch to make sure my Ice Shard hits before I get hit. Earthquake is in the moveset for obvious reasons (STAB, coverage, etc.) Icicle Crash is there for its strong STAB, neutral coverage working side-by-side with Earthquake. Knock off is there because trying to breed Freeze Dry onto this Pokémon is a pain in the butt, but it does help if the opposing Pokemon is holding a berry, Weakness Policy, or other removable items.

------------

Overall, I am just looking for a critique of my team and seeing if having a Mega on this team would be beneficial or not. I really look forward to all of your help! Thanks again!

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey Chris Desmond cool team! I'm liking the idea of using underused Pokemon such as Tentacruel to help you vs. fairies like Clefable and Azumarill and your physical wall Porygon2 to take choice banded Talonflame's hits reasonably well as well as Aegislash. I do have a few suggestions though! First off I see Espeon as the 'weak link' to your team. Your team only has one set up sweeper, who has multiscale to let it take hits better, as well as a rapid spinner to support it so I don't really see Espeon doing much for your team. I'd suggest running Latias over it. Latias helps you with your focus blast Landorus-I weakness, as nothing wants to switch into it, and it also has access to recover which lets it better take on choice specs Keldeo which can also be a nuisance to your team since Tentacruel does not appreciate the burn from scald as it has no reliable recovery. Latias also gives you a secondary pokemon to dodge those pesky ground type attacks! I'd suggest this spread, with HP Fire, that way it can weaken Mega Mawile as well as take out Mega Scizor for your other dragon to sweep and it also gives you a way of dealing with Ferrothorn without having to fish for a scald burn or wasting your Dragonites multiscale so early.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The 72 HP evs let you better take on specs keldeo as you are not two hit k0'd by any of it moves, even after taking Stealth Rock damage.

My final change would be running Liquid Ooze over Clear Body on Tentacruel. Clear Body does not benefit it as Tentacruel is a special attacker and Liquid Ooze allows Mega Venusaur to lose HP when going for Giga Drain instead of gaining. That combined with a potential scald burn means that Mega Venusaur will be whittled down very quickly.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Haze
- Sludge Bomb

Also vouching for keeping haze (nice idea) as it lets you completely shut down calm mind Clefable!

Anyway, that's all i've got, hope i helped! :]

antemortem

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Your team is offense centric, which is natural in the metagame, and I feel you could benefit from having extra hazards so why not try Toxic Spikes over Haze using the same set that aim provided above? You've partner Tentacruel well with Ferro, given that the latter is setting up rocks, so extending your hazard incidence should be profitable.

Thank you guys! Yeah, I've noticed Espeon has been dying VERY early in my matches. I like the switch. I actually have the same Latias in my PC! (of course i'll need to adjust the EV's a bit)
Also, Toxic Spikes have been something that i have wanted to run, but i haven't been sure what EXACTLY i could swap out with it! Thank you both!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)