Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the main Dark type you want to hit with Focus Blast is Tyranitar and Dazzling Gleam can't OHKO Tyranitar. Most other Dark types either outspeed you ( Weavile ) or will just Sucker Punch you ( Mega Absol ). By the way you can edit your posts so you don't have to post multiple times in a row.

Yes but for the dark and the dragon I use Dazzling Gleam!:-D

252 SpA Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 360-428 (105.2 - 125.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Alakazam Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 122-144 (35.6 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Then you get pursuit trapped, friend.

Also, you may want to cool it on posting trivial things in the thread unless you want an infraction. Feel free to pm me.

Is there any way to speed up the suspect testing process? The ban list of XY is not exactly close to being finalised (some possible suspects are MegaZard, Landorus and Talonflame) and with ORAS coming soon, I reckon a lot things will be retested. Wouldn't it be better to have a conclusive ban list before ORAS are out?

Not sure if this is a simple question or not, but since an admin told me to take a look at this topic i'll post it here.
Anyways, i'm kinda new to OU competitive play, and recently i've tried to build a team based on weather (Sunny Day), where i have 3 fire type pokemons, Ninetales with Drought+Heat rock so i can always have a boost for the other 2 fire types, which are 1 physical sweeper (Charizard X) and 1 special sweeper (Mega Houndoom), not sure if having 2 megas in a team is a good decision but i didn't exactly know that you could only have 1 mega on your team.
Next one on my team is a Gliscor, with a moveset stall like, Stealth Rock, Roost, Toxic and Toxic Orb + Poison Heal, i find this one pretty good, because he won me a hell lot of games just by stalling.
Also got Avalugg as a tank, and a ludicolo as a drainer/special attack.
This might be a silly team, i don't know, that's why i'm here to ask advices from you guys, what should i do to improve this team?

Also pointing out that i have a lot of problems with fairy types, mainly Clefable with that Softboiled, Calm mind, Toxic stall, i can't really do much because i don't have any poison/steel types to kill it.
Also another problem that i have is battling against a Wash-Rotom, can't really do much cause it will probably outspeed my Houndoom and just sweep him.

Here's my pokemon team with the stats/moves:

Ninetales (F) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 140 SpD / 120 Spe
Calm Nature
- Flamethrower
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Will-O-Wisp

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Roost

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Avalugg (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Avalanche
- Earthquake

Houndoom (M) @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Destiny Bond

It's considered a bit gimmicky, but if Fairies are causing issues you can try using a Life Orb Venusaur with Chlorophyll. It would provide a safe switch-in to most Fairies and be able to hit hard and fast in the sun. Also, as you stated, you should swap 1 of your two Megas for another Mon. My first instinct would be to drop Mega Houndoom, but I've never used one, particularly in a Sun Team, so I'd drop whichever Mega seems to pull less weight. Lastly, you may want to use a different spinner than Avalugg. Sun Teams already have issues being weak to Stealth Rock, so you should use a Rapid Spinner or a Defogger that isn't weak to Fire and Stealth Rock if you can. Latios or Latias might be good replacements in that regard. If you're worried about breeding, you could also use Donphan, but it's considered to be pretty outclassed in that regard.

It's considered a bit gimmicky, but if Fairies are causing issues you can try using a Life Orb Venusaur with Chlorophyll. It would provide a safe switch-in to most Fairies and be able to hit hard and fast in the sun. Also, as you stated, you should swap 1 of your two Megas for another Mon. My first instinct would be to drop Mega Houndoom, but I've never used one, particularly in a Sun Team, so I'd drop whichever Mega seems to pull less weight. Lastly, you may want to use a different spinner than Avalugg. Sun Teams already have issues being weak to Stealth Rock, so you should use a Rapid Spinner or a Defogger that isn't weak to Fire and Stealth Rock if you can. Latios or Latias might be good replacements in that regard. If you're worried about breeding, you could also use Donphan, but it's considered to be pretty outclassed in that regard.
Might try changing ludicolo with venusaur and avalugg with latias, about replacing one of the megas, charizard seems to be the one not ending up being as useful as houndoom mega, but if i take one out i'm gonna miss that Dragon claw or Dark Pulse/Destiny Bond, probably should replace charizard since i'll have latias, i don't know.

What are 50/50s? I assume they are another term for 2HKOs?
50/50's is guessing what the opponent is going to do. They could do W, which means you should do X, or they might do Y, which means you should do Z.

In some situations, you can sort of predict what an opponent is going to do; e.g. if I have a rain team with Keldeo+Kingdra, and Keldeo (who is using a choice item) is in front of Ferrothorn (and they have no other answer to Kingdra,) you can reasonably assume they're going to switch out Ferrothorn so it wouldn't be that bad of an idea to use Hydro Pump. This isn't really a 50/50: it's a prediction based on what pokemon are most vital to your opponent. 50/50's are where it's just a total guess.

What are 50/50s? I assume they are another term for 2HKOs?
To add an example to Seargeant Spooky's explanation, a 50/50 would be like if it's end game, your opponent has just a Bisharp left with low HP, you've got just a Mega Pinsir also with low HP. The Bisharp will die to two Quick Attacks (let's say for the sake of argument that even a quick attack crit wouldn't KO), but it will die to a Return. The 50/50 is:

If you click Return, you win if opponent chose Iron Head because you outspeed, and lose if opponent chose Sucker Punch.
If you click Quick Attack, you win if opponent chose Sucker Punch because Sucker Punch fails and you KO next turn, and lose if your opponent chose Iron Head.

There's no real way to predict something like that, you just have to click a button and hope for the best.

Also, one last question for the day. What is the best template for a team?

I always thought it was something like :
Physical Attacker
Special Attacker
Mixed Attacker/Late-Game Cleaner/Revenge Killer
Physical Wall
Special Wall
Support

Also, one last question for the day. What is the best template for a team?

I always thought it was something like :
Physical Attacker
Special Attacker
Mixed Attacker/Late-Game Cleaner/Revenge Killer
Physical Wall
Special Wall
Support
The template you use depends on the play style. I'll let someone more experienced judge your template, but here's a pretty useful guide for templates for various teams: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/team-building-guide.3502654/#post-5322669. I will say that for a balanced team, the template seems like a good starting place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)