Is pokemon a good topic for a research paper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll post mine later. I've been meaning to go into my old archive drive for a while now. This is another thing I have to find.

Want my Matlab code too? In case, for some reason, you ever get Matlab and find yourself desiring to play some Pokemon on it?

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I'm going to say this from the perspective of someone who was a freshman not all too many years back. Entering high school, and being still under some delusions about what high school is really all about, there's tremendous pressure, especially if you're generally motivated, to distinguish yourself from your peers. Nowadays, as early as middle school the idea of working your ass off in college and figuring out what you want to do with your life in sixth grade is touted around as the correct way to go, and I know personally that I felt a lot of pressure to do something "adult" in order to show what I'd accomplished.

So, as early as middle school, I started writing a book. I poured hundreds of hours into it, and most of one entire summer. I worked on it on and off throughout middle and high school, I consulted adults, I edited it countless times, I attended seminars on writing and publishing and self-publishing and editing and fiction and everything I could possibly do to become a star author at the age of whatever. I envisioned myself writing my dissertation for my college application essay (news flash, most essays are like three hundred words) about how I'd accomplished such a feat at such a tender age, and I thought it would show my continuing drive and motivation throughout my life.

I'll be applying to college later this year. I very much doubt that I'll write about the book, and if I do, it won't be anything like what I thought it would sound like. In just the last year, much more important things have happened to me. I started coming out, I got a job, I went through experiences that made everything in my life before seem trivial. To this day, I've never published that book. It wouldn't take more than a couple of hours to put together a quick cover and self-publish it somewhere and forget about it, but I haven't done so.

I'm not trying to discourage you from writing your paper, or doing research. I think it's great that you're challenging yourself academically, but I don't want you to be misled by how you feel now. However intelligent and smart you may be now, you will be infinitely smarter in a couple years. The work that you'll be able to put out when you have a couple more years of experience under your belt will be incredible compared to any research paper you can write now.

If you want to write this research paper, you should absolutely do it. However, before you start, you need to look within yourself and ask yourself whether or not you're writing it because you're genuinely interested in the topic and you genuinely want to spend hundreds of hours researching it and writing it up even with the knowledge that you might never use it for applying to college. On the other hand, if you're writing it merely because you feel like it's expected to do something amazing at a young age to get into one of these schools (it's not, by the way), I would absolutely refrain from doing it.

Please note that I'm not saying you're already highly accomplished where you are now in your life. I'm sure you're plenty smart, and I'm sure your grasp on language and the sciences is adequate enough to write a coherent research paper. However, I have yet to meet a single person in high school who hasn't grown as a person and become smarter and more honest with themselves during the course of high school.

tl;dr if you really want to do it, do it. if you feel obligated or compelled by societal standards for high-acheiving students that may or may not exist, don't.

I say yeah go for it. I'm a sophomore in college and my final paper for psychology was on the generation of children born in the 90s who grew up on video games and how today most people born in that times is teen-20s age range and still play many video games if not just the same ones they grew up on. And i talked a lot about pokemon and super smash brothers and how its possible to play the same games as you were a child still as a grown adult and still have productive lives. I also threw in the eSports area and how some people turn the game they love into a way of travel and competition before they move on. My teacher thought it was cool and gave me a A- lol it was 14 pages though. Lost some points due to punctuation mistakes. :pirate:

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Yes

I actually wrote a paper for my Graduate Probability class on the Probability of Pokemon. One section of it dealt with how the outcomes of a one-versus-one battle changed when we're adding in the uncertainty due to moves missing, critical hits, the variation in damages, etc. I actually wrote a Matlab script that allowed me to play both sides in a hypothetical Pokemon battle to show how the different strategies affected the game.

Essentially I pitched it as essentially an analysis of a Markov Chain model of what moves and what outcomes we'd expect. Hell, I even drew a probability tree for each the first five turns and calculated the odds with that (though for that model I didn't include the 85%-100% damage that the RNG rolls when determining how much damage you do).

The professor actually loved it. And now I'm working under that professor for my PhD, so don't let anyone tell you that Pokemon is worthless...because I got a graduate researcher position because of it.
magic9mushroom did some similar work in RBY contexts [see chansey versus lapras] and also I was already inspired by m9m seeing how the theoretical probability can be so fascinating (I was curious but doubtful before, although mathematics is definitely my true calling - I'm about 3 months away from being a first year undergrad at (hopefully) Warwick :]] but knowing that you got a research position for it is.. mindblowing.

magic9mushroom did some similar work in RBY contexts [see chansey versus lapras] and also I was already inspired by m9m seeing how the theoretical probability can be so fascinating (I was curious but doubtful before, although mathematics is definitely my true calling - I'm about 3 months away from being a first year undergrad at (hopefully) Warwick :]] but knowing that you got a research position for it is.. mindblowing.
Well, it also helped that I did pretty well in the course, but he definitely still remembered that and brings up Pokemon enough when asking if I'm slacking off. My response ends up being "I did my work for a class paper. Now, I'm doing research for the journal article"

If I can write and successfully publish a journal article about Pokemon, then I just won all research ever.

If you really want my opinion, you have to go deep in-depth, covering the aspects that compose...just what made this operating "fandom"(I guess?) so addicted.
Ask em'. Why do you like competitive battling

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Just came across a Pokemon related essay in the fields of cultural anthropology.
Thought I would like to share.
http://www.ukessays.com/essays/youn...n-on-childrens-culture-young-people-essay.php

Like I said before, a Pokemon related essay does not have to be programming/ maths related.
I probably can write an essay arguing that Pokemon fans tend to be less ethnocentric or xenophobic, because Pokemon promotes / encourages multicultural exchanges through battles or guide help. People who play Pokemon are likely to be more exposed to people from different countries, especially if they communicate in English. Non English natives whom are Pokemon fans are willing to speak English in order to talk about Pokemon. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)